PDA

View Full Version : My 2 year old is positive for H1N1!

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
She's finally sleeping and i just have to say it...

My DD who is 2.5 years old tested positive today for H1N1. We just got back from WDW on Monday night and she went to day care on Wednesday. By the time we picked her up yesterday, she was tired and all she wanted to do was lay on my lap. This is NOT her. I usually have to chase her with her jacket and threaten leaving her before she'll leave.

Got home and took her temp - 99.3. By the time I gave her a shower and tucked her in bed, it was 101 (about 8:30ish). And so the rotation of tylenol and motrin began. at 1am it was 103. at 5 it was 101 again. at 9:30 it was 102. Got to the doctor at 1:30pm and it was 102 again. She did the swab test and it was positive.

Another 4-7 days of high fever along with congestion and coughing. My DD has a history of respitory problems and I'm just praying that it doesn't evolve into pneumonia. We've separated the girls into different rooms as my 4 year old has no symptoms yet.

Please keep her and the rest of us in your prayers. :ill:

SBETigg
10-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Poor baby! Both her and you. I'm sorry. I can imagine how worried you must be. I hope she gets better fast. Prayers for your daughter.

Tinkermom
10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I am so sorry! This flu stuff is crazy! My DD8 had H1N1 2 weeks ago. Same thing, she was fine no cough/congestion - nothing. I sent her to school and by lunchtime she was in the nurse's office. She had a headache, cough and 99.6 fever. I picked her up got her settled in bed with juice and rechecked her temp and she was up to 102 within just 30 minutes! I have read that this comes on really fast. I am happy to report that she did well and was pretty much over it within 4 days with just a mild lingering cough for a few more days. No one else in the family got it!

Prayers for your DD and for you! Hang in there!:mickey:

DVC2004
10-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I am so sorry! Definitely sending prayers and pixie dust for your entire family.

MickeyMousse
10-30-2009, 12:02 PM
:tink: We'll be thinking of you and your little one!!

faline
10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Here's some pixie dust for a fast recovery! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 12:20 PM
So sorry about your daughter. :( Hope she gets better soon!

My 3.5 year old is home from preschool today too. Woke up BURNING hot, with a 102 fever and cough. He tends to get asthma when he has a respiratory illness, so I'm watching him closely, but he seems okay right now.

His older brother was sick last weekend, same thing, but he's been back in school since Wednesday. He had a horrible sounding cough on Sunday morning, then by that night, a 103 fever. He was feverish all day Monday and had a runny nose and cough. By Tuesday, he was back to his old self...super hyper and bouncing off the walls. He was fever free all day Tuesday, so I sent him back to school Wed. He has a lingering cough, but no recurrence of the fever. Now the little one has it, despite my best efforts to keep them separated and the house disinfected.

I haven't even bothered with going to the doctor. I figure, what difference does it make if it's "regular" flu or H1N1? WHATEVER it is is going around all the schools here, and I feel it's best to stay home and treat with fluids and fever reducers unless they take a turn for the worst (breathing difficulties, etc.) I have a friend whose husband is an anesthesiologist, and he says that the doctors in the hospital HATE it when parents bring their kids into the doctor for the flu (without complications yet). There is really no reason to know what type of flu it is, and unless the person is in a high risk category (pregnant, immunocompromised, etc) there is no reason to run out for Tamiflu. Plus, the H1N1 test is apparently really ineffective. It's only correct about 40% of the time...

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-30-2009, 09:19 PM
DD is doing better. No more fever all day. Haven't had to give her any fever reducer since about 6am this morning. she's sleeping now.

However, now I have it. about 2-3pm I started getting chills, coughing/sore throat and body is aching. My temp is not very high - about 99.5. but, my skin "hurts", if that makes any sense.

I talked to our daycare and turns out that there was a child that was at the center on Tuesday, and stayed home on Wednesday. The child was in my DD class and he tested positive on Wednesday for it. My DD's first day back from our WDW vacation and she gets the flu from daycare, not from our trip! Another child today was out because they started showing signs.

Hopefully, mine will be gone quickly. :ill: What a great halloween huh???

We decided not to pass out candy. That's all we need is to hear that one of the neighbor kids got it and we may have given it to them.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I just wante to add that this darn flu is keeping me from my trip reports! I've got to get better so I can post them! heehee :secret:

SBETigg
10-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Feel better soon! Sorry you caught it, too.

BrerGnat
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
:ill:Sorry you got sick too. Bummer! Hope you can get some rest this weekend. At least now you don't have to worry about getting the vaccine...

Goofy4TheWorld
10-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I just wanted to add that this darn flu is keeping me from my trip reports! I've got to get better so I can post them! heehee :secret:

I have been wandering if you were back yet. Looking forward to the trip (and allergy) report! :mickey:
Good luck with getting well.

Lizzy
11-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I am so sorry to hear about all the illnesses! I hope everyone is better soon!

My 22 month old has been sick with a really high temp, coughing etc. Going to the Dr tomorrow. He has been off and on antibiotics for months, but this time it is diffrent. He is very lethargic and hot to touch :(

SBETigg
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry, Lizzy! I hope your little one feels better soon, too. Jennifer and Natalie, I hope you and yours are doing better today. Healing thoughts all around!

BrerGnat
11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Both my kids are completely well now! Phew! It was a long week. Luckily, the illness only lasted a couple days with each kid. And, I didn't get it! Woo hooooo!

Hoping all your sick little ones get better soon!

crazypoohbear
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
My Ds has been home from school since tuesday. Aparently he was exposed to a girl on halloween who tested positive on tuesday. Tuesday he got a fever, chills and a cough.
His fever comes and goes but luckily he hasn't gone over 101.4. but he normally doesn't get fevers at all and his normal temp is 97.5.
I am unemployed right now so even though he hasn't had a fever since this morning, I am going to keep him home on friday just to give him the extra time to fully recover and pray there is not reccurence.