PDA

View Full Version : Artist Point??

beksy
10-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi guys, I need dining advice from the experts! :mickey: We are doing the deluxe DDP on our next trip and are trying some signature restaurants for the first time. We have Cali Grill and Narc's but I was also considering Artist Point. How is it? I can't find alot of reviews on this one. Are there other signature restaurants you would recommend? TIA! :thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Dump Narcoosees and add Jiko

Artists Point, I find, is a very Underrated site....never had any less that great food and you can't beat the Wilderness Lodge for Atmosphere...

c&d
10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
We always eat there when we're down. The food has always been great and the service exceptional.
:thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
10-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree. Artist Point is excellent. Our top pics for 2 sig dining is Artist Point & Jiko.

SurferStitch
10-29-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm so glad to see you chose Narcoossee's and Cali Grill. Narcoossee's is our favorite, and we love Cali Grill! We like to go to Narcoossee's twice during each trip.

As for AP....I know many people love it, and we REALLY wanted to love it last year when we tried it for the first time, but it just fell totally flat with us.

Atmosphere - Yes, the lodge is pretty, but the restaurant felt like a big cafeteria to us. It was quite loud when we were there. We could here conversations from quite a few tables in our area. Also, the two of us got stuck at a tiny table in a corner along some windows. There was a huge post right next to our table, so our server had a very difficult time serving us. We got to stare at stacks of deck furniture outside our window.

Service - Our server was somewhat clueless. He didn't know the menu well, barely ever showed his face, and was pretty cold. He never came back after our entrees were served to see if everything was okay (it wasn't). We didn't see him again until he tried to push dessert on us (about 20 minutes later.) We couldn't get ANY server's attention in the meantime to tell them our food was raw. We just wanted to pay the bill and get out when he finally did show up.

Food - Here is where we were really disappointed. I got the scallops. They were literally raw in the middle. The centers were cool and had the clear, gelatinous color that raw scallops do. They had no seasoning on them, and very little flavor other than raw scallop. There was a drizzle of truffle cream that helped a smidge, but that's it. DH had the buffalo steak and again, no seasoning or flavor. He ordered it medium well, and got bloody medium rare. He picked around the edges and ate what he could. He said the blood on the plate really ruined the taste of whatever cooked meat he could cut off. The mashed potatoes were very dry and flavorless.

We really, really wanted to enjoy this place. We were so disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype. But with wine, apps and entrees, we spent about $130, and regretted it. At least we got to try AP once, but we won't be going back. I will say though...we loved our wine. That was excellent.

DawsonAR
10-29-2009, 10:14 AM
We love AP. We have been there several times and it has always been excellent.

Loweschevy
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
[
Atmosphere - Yes, the lodge is pretty, but the restaurant felt like a big cafeteria to us. It was quite loud when we were there. We could here conversations from quite a few tables in our area. Also, the two of us got stuck at a tiny table in a corner along some windows. There was a huge post right next to our table, so our server had a very difficult time serving us. We got to stare at stacks of deck furniture outside our window.

Service - Our server was somewhat clueless. He didn't know the menu well, barely ever showed his face, and was pretty cold. He never came back after our entrees were served to see if everything was okay (it wasn't). We didn't see him again until he tried to push dessert on us (about 20 minutes later.) We couldn't get ANY server's attention in the meantime to tell them our food was raw. We just wanted to pay the bill and get out when he finally did show up.
__________________________________________________ __________________-
We had a similar experience this year. Our server, Scott was on the odd side-like scared of us it seemed like.

My mother's steak arrived rare after ordering it medium. It took forever to get his or a food runner's attention. My dad and I were practically done eating by the time her entree came back.

She ordered the cheesecake for dessert and they brought the goat cheese tart. Again the food runner took off without confirming that is what she ordered.

By that point I was looking for the cameras to see if someone was messing with us. The manager was walking aorund and never bothered to stop by either.

Just a lukewarm experience after many years of great service and food. I am on the fence for this adr next year

TheDuckRocks
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm with SurferStitch on this one.
The whole evening didn't start well with us being sent to the bar to wait for 1/2 after our ARD time. Then we were seated in a the extreme back corner of the very first dining area you come into, no view except the kitchen doors. As the restaurant was at least 1/3 empty that night we asked to be moved, we were refused. Also had us wondering with the lack of people dining why we had to wait so long for a table in the first place.
As for the food nothing that we ordered was any better than just OK. What did we have? I have no clue as nothing was remarkable, but I do remember we sent a lot of half full plates off to be dumped. The best thing about the meal was the bottle of Fess Parker wine we had.

Robbieligh
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
We have always had a wonderful experience at AP. It is one of our favorites. I love the smokey portebello mushroom soup and the salmon is wonderful!!:thumbsup:

SurferStitch
10-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm with SurferStitch on this one.
The best thing about the meal was the bottle of Fess Parker wine we had.

That's what I had! And yes, it was definitely the best part of the meal. :thumbsup:

I did also have the mushroom soup, and it was good. Not great, but good. I've had much better elsewhere. In fact, I didn't even remember having it there until someone mentioned, so it definitely didn't make an impression on me.

Kairi_7378
10-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Surfer Stitch, I think we were at that same table when we ate at AP in 2007! Our ADR was for 5:30, right when they opened, so we couldn't figure out why we got stuck next to a column.

When we went, I had the mushroom soup and DH had the venison spring rolls for appetizers. We enjoyed both. However, my halibut entree was not cooked well. The desserts were decent and the wine was excellent. Overall, I'd say it was an "okay" experience. However, others have had a great time here so maybe we caught them on a bad night.

AllDisney
10-31-2009, 11:58 AM
We love Artist Point! You can't go wrong with that choice. We LOVE Jiko too. You won't be disappointed if you pick either or both to have dinner at.:cloud9:

cinderellagrl
10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
We love Artist Point. The atmosphere is wonderful and a trip the lodge is always enjoyable. We love the Buffalo and cedar plank salmon!

PoohRules
11-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Last October we tried AP for the first time and had a great meal (and service). The lodge is one of our favorties. However, overall, I can find very nice restaurants in my local area. For that reason, we usually eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe (1 TS credit) so we can see the lodge.

If you have not seen it, AK lodge is as well beauiful, the real pull being the animals out back. And I honestly cant find a place as unique as Jiko in my local area. For that reason Jiko would be my top choice. If you are only choosing 2 signatures, I recommend Cali Grill and Jiko.

One final note, we enjoyed our meal and service last fall; however the couple at the table next to us was very unhappy. I am not sure what the problem was (they had a window seat), but the manager came out a few times and their server was switched (it was obvious this was requested) mid-meal.

Whatever you choose, you will have a great timme...you are afterall at the happiest place on earth. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
11-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I always like to point out that "Our Server was clueless" isn't a really valid complaint about a restaurant location...

It is a valid complaint....but about the walt disney world system...not the individual location

Turnover is high, and waiters and waitresses move around alot....just like all rank and file employees....so you are really not more likely to get a more competent server at one restaurant more than any other

why? because there are no individual standards for workers at any one location. Everybody is funnelled through casting....and seniority doesn't mean competence

SurferStitch
11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Actually, AP and The Wave are the only places we've ever had servers who didn't know the menu, didn't know that you should check on your table within a couple minutes of receiving your entree, etc. We had very rude servers at Citricos, but at least they knew their stuff.

Even when we had lunch at the T-Rex on their second day of being open last year, our server said she was still learning the menu, but could answer every question we had about it, and she was attentive. She was great.

We've found that we've had some of the same servers for at least 6-8 years at Narcoossee's (Tom - THE BEST) and Cali Grill, along with V&A and the Grand Flo Cafe (a couple people here we've seen since we started visiting in 1996). That seems to equate to the amazing service we've received each and every time we've dined there (V&A goes without saying, though, so it's not really fair to count them here.) We've also always had great service at every other restaurant, and we've been dining there for 13 years now....hundreds of TS meals.

I can't really agree with your logic on that one.....at least from our experiences. Yours may be different. Sorry.

hardingella
11-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Big thumbs up for AP:thumbsup:
Food was the best we tasted all vacation.Our server was very attentive, she knew what she was talking about,helped us choose our wine, and looked after the kids really well.
You can go to any of the best retaurants in Disney and get bad service, and of course vise versa.Sometimes i just think its bad luck if you do.

SBETigg
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
I haven't been to Artist Point. California Grill and Narcoossee's are our favorites, through repeat visits. If I had to rate the Signatures in order, of the ones I have visited:

1. California Grill
2. Narcoossee's
3. Flying Fish
4. Citricos
5. Jiko
6. Hollywood Brown Derby (Brown Derby is good, but not quite on par with the other Signatures for us).

(Haven't been to Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse).

lockedoutlogic
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Actually, AP and The Wave are the only places we've ever had servers who didn't know the menu, didn't know that you should check on your table within a couple minutes of receiving your entree, etc. We had very rude servers at Citricos, but at least they knew their stuff.

Even when we had lunch at the T-Rex on their second day of being open last year, our server said she was still learning the menu, but could answer every question we had about it, and she was attentive. She was great.

We've found that we've had some of the same servers for at least 6-8 years at Narcoossee's (Tom - THE BEST) and Cali Grill, along with V&A and the Grand Flo Cafe (a couple people here we've seen since we started visiting in 1996). That seems to equate to the amazing service we've received each and every time we've dined there (V&A goes without saying, though, so it's not really fair to count them here.) We've also always had great service at every other restaurant, and we've been dining there for 13 years now....hundreds of TS meals.

I can't really agree with your logic on that one.....at least from our experiences. Yours may be different. Sorry.

my logic is that it is a complete luck of the draw scenario for the restaurants....

Olivia's could have somebody with 22 years experience that is clueless....the Plaza Restaurant could have somebody with 18 months who is absolutely fantastic....

waiters are assigned by casting....just as those who rent strollers or sell ice cream bars....

that's the logic....i don't assign "bad service" automatically to the restaurant....it may just be who transfered/ is assigned there

now....some of the pricey restaurants will obviously get those who are better/ more experienced because of the higher tips.....

but unless something has changed....the most lucrative and desired spots at restaurants? character breakfasts......easy, high-priced, high table turn

something is not right about that

tadcd
11-18-2009, 11:15 PM
My husband and I experienced terrible service at AP.

The woman who seated us told my husband that men don't know how to pick wine, just beer. Perhaps she was trying to act "in character"?

The waiter argued with my husband when we told him that my husband doesn't like wild mushrooms. It was crazy, and he wouldn't let it go, just kept bringing it up whenever he would return to our table. My husband is in his early 30's, he has enough experience to know his preferences.

My husband's entree was amazing, especially the wood smoked salmon, it came out on a wood plank. Mine was yummy too, loved the mushroom soup, don't remember what else I ordered. The service ruined the evening, however, and we won't be returning. We can find amazing food elsewhere at WDW, you know, those special nights out are supposed to be special!

-Teresa

AllDisney
11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
We love Artist Point & Jiko. You won't be disappointed with either one:mickey:

dlpmikki
11-20-2009, 11:35 AM
To answer the original poster AP can be excellent (the salmon is probably the best on property and far superior to Le Cellier) but you can have poor experiences there. We have definitely had some odd servers there.

LockedoutLogic - sure some servers move around but many stay in the same location. They still have some of the same servers at Olivias from when it opened in 92. We get greeted like old friends in some restaurants even if we haven't been for a few years by servers who remember us (and we them). A number of posters have said they have had bad server experience at AP. Maybe you should listen to those facts rather than claiming it must be co-incidence because servers are always changing. The argument about why people may have had bad experiences doesn't change the fact they did and that is what is relevant to the OP.