PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes

Pastcastmemberdaughter
10-29-2009, 12:35 AM
My doctor recently diagnosed me with PCOS and long story short this messes mith my insulin levels and hormones. He told me to treat this genetic disorder like I was a diabetic in order to help treat it. Do any of you know any good diabete recipes, snacks, or food in general to eat? Any help would be really appreciated. This is a total lifestyle change and it's kinda hard to get started on.

Thank you!

Strmchsr
10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
There's a ton of info out there on diabetes. The key is it sounds like you need to treat this like type-2 diabetes, not type-1. The main thing about your foods is avoid anything high in carbs (not sugar like some folks say). Obviously you have some, but cut them as low as possible. I could spend all day typing recipes, but just Google diabetic recipes and you'll find a ton of sites. Any other specific questions, feel free to ask!

Jeri
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I have PCOS and have for many years. Did they put you on Metformin? Basically if you have PCOS you are insulin resistant. I suggest researching it and really learning all you can. Not only do you have hormone issues and insuline issues you will have high cholesterol, and are at a high risk for heart problems.

I have heard the book Th Insulin Resistant Diet helps.
Also sometimes the best Dr for this is an endocrinologist. If you are going to be wanting to have kids at some point find a reproductive Endocrinoligist, other wise a regular one is fine. Or find an OB who knows alot about PCOS.
It can be very tough to deal with if not managed properly, and will always be a life long issue mainly because it is a metabolic dissorder. But with that said , if you find a Dr who knows what they are doing it is not that bad, and can be managed quite well.
PM me if you have any questions or if you would like the name of a good message/ support board about it.