PDA

View Full Version : Remind me why we should do CBR

Diznee4Me
10-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Earlier this year I asked for info on CBR because we were thinking of trying it in September. Unfortunately that trip fell through but it looks like the DW and I will be heading down the week after Thanksgiving for five days and nights. We are a Coronado Springs family but thought since it would just be the two of us and we are planning on no plan, we would try somewhere different.

So remind me what you think so I can prepare for a new resort experience.:mickey:

(Poeticeclipse - I remember that you loved it and sent me a video, your opinion is already a plus for us! :thumbsup:)

RedSoxFan
10-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Funny, next time we go -- we want to try CS. We went to CBR a year ago and it was a very lovely resort. The grounds are beautiful. Bus service was good. Food court was adequate and large. Not hard to find a table to eat at. My kids loved the pool. We were in Aruba --- a walk to the food court; but not too bad. Having said that, DH would pay the preferred price so not have to walk the distance every time he wanted a drink, etc.

Disneyfirsttimer
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
We have stayed at CBR twice and really liked it. The first trip we were in Martinique (paid for preferred) and the second trip in Jamaica. We actually liked Jamaica more. Liked the trip across the bridge to the food court.

People say the resort is too big. We really loved the resort. Very tropical. We have not been since the renovated the main pool. From the back of the food court, you can see the Epcot fireworks at night which is nice.

Great bussing as each village has its own bus. CBR doesn't share a bus with any other resort. We really enjoyed the resort very much. We would have stayed there again for our upcoming trip, but need to stay at resort that can accommodate 5 to a room as my sister and her family are going and have 5.

Have a great trip!

Karyn

kathiep
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Although we a true CSR family, we did enjoy our stay at CBR. The grounds were really beautiful and we enjoyed the relaxed, island feel of the entire resort. We liked the atmosphere of Old Port Royale although weren't thrilled with the food court. It was just that, a basic food court. I think we were spoiled by the selection available at the Pepper Market. We'd like to give CBR another try now that the pool has been redone.

disneykid@hrt
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
We really like CBR. I never thought the walk was too bad. The little bridges are fun and there are some little hammocks of out of the way to relax in.

We enjoyed the pool bar quite a bit. The TS- Shutters, I believe- was uck, don't do it! The gift shop wasn't as exciting as other resorts we've stayed at, but that helped me save $$$. hehe.

Coronado Springs is a bit more "sterile" to me. We had a chance to use their computer facilities on our last trip, and we stayed there in 1998. Maybe it is because of all of the conventions that are held there they make it more Hiltonny?? Don't get me wrong- I'm a big CSR fan!

CBR is a fave of ours, for sure. Have fun!

Diznee4Me
10-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. We are looking forward to this trip and a new resort experience.:thumbsup:

disney100%
10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Another thumbs up for CBR. We love Jamaica building 45. The walk across the water is quite nice to get to OPR. We loved the new pool area (I know you aren't traveling with children, but the kids loved the kiddie area too). The weather was perfect on our last trip to enjoy sitting outside and sipping some drinks at the Banana Cabana.

DisneyorBust
11-02-2009, 07:42 AM
We enjoyed our stay at CBR last year, so much that my my wife and I return for a short get away next February, we are returning to CBR.
We found CBR to be a beautiful, relaxing resort. We didn't have a car and relied on WDW transportation. We found the bus service to the parks was very good. We never utilized the internal bus system. The walk from the Jamaica island to Old Port Royal wasn't too bad, actually it was quite nice!
Have a fantastic trip and let us know about your experience.

lockedoutlogic
11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Honestly....after working operations at CBR...and traveling to WDW resorts before and after.....

Coronado is better....and so is Dixie/Port/whatever they are called now...

Caribbean layout is problematic....their bus system is badly designed....and for some reason, it doesn't seem to be able to hide the sheer volume of rooms or amounts of people as well as the other locations....

it just doesn't run as smoothly....probably because it was the "prototype" moderate that made some errors that weren't correctable after the initial construction....prime example is the detached check in facility

SillySymphony
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Okay.... just HAVE to pipe in here... We're confirmed CBR devotee's. We've done the tours and the meals elsewhere and still, nothing says, "Disney Vacation" to us as well as the Caribbean. Yes, it is the oldest Moderate. It's held its age well, especially looking "perkier" after the recent upmod to the themed pool area. Still, what with you going the week after Thanksgiving, it's unlikely you'll be spending much time in any pools... I have to agree with other posters regarding the sheer size of the resort. However, for us, that's what makes it so darn attractive. It doesn't feel like you're staying in a typical resort, bordered by its parking lots. It seems expansive and filled with flora, bids and beautiful colors. The Custom House, CBR's check-in, sets the tone in a quiet manner complete with a doorman in starched uniform and Barbados accent. Its Food Court has continued to improve over the years (as have many Disney "Fast Casual" locations) and now serves made-on-the-spot salads and sandwiches. The Bus System is a mite off-putting to the newcomer (as are the many corridors which you'll navigate to your room), but it is known to be one of the best run at all the resorts. We have rarely waited beyond 20 min. for transportation except during afternoons when most folks are already at the Parks. If you have a car, this worry is moot. Go, relax Mon and have a great time !

TracyL
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm a huge fan of all the moderates. For architecture, I'm all about CSR. For charm, I love POR. For theming, POFQ is impressive. But for the "whole package," I'm really fond of CBR. The grounds are gorgeous, the new pool/water play area is hugely fun. The walk from your room to OPR may be long, but will be picturesque, beachy and relaxing. We recently dined at Shutters for the first time and found it good -- they were having some sort of staffing or logistical problem that night that meant we had to wait awhile for a table, but once we were seated we had typical Disney service and food. I really like the food court, too -- there are probably more choices at Pepper Market, but if there's a convention at CSR, Pepper Market can't handle the mealtime rushes and becomes a total nightmare. OPR food court always seems to have adequate capacity for the crowds and doesn't get the "bursty" convention traffic.

I loves me some CBR -- have a great trip and be sure to tell us all about it!!

mousetrapper
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Another :thumbsup: for CBR! It's the only moderate we've ever stayed at, and we haven't found any reason to go elsewhere. Everything other posters said - the relaxed beachy atmosphere, the beautiful landscaping, the expansive uncramped feel - all add up to a wonderful resort. It's quiet too.

As someone else said, I like the way the check-in is housed separately from the resort. Gives it a more genteel, Caribbean colonial feel.

Can't wait to be back there next week!!! :cloud9: