PDA

View Full Version : Need snack help for peanut-free classroom!

alphamommy
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
DD9 has a classmate who is allergic to peanuts, almonds, and poppy seeds. I have volunteered to bake something for the class Halloween party, and now I'm having second thoughts.

Since we aren't a nut-free house, how do I avoid cross-contamination? If I baked peanut butter cookies last Christmas, should I be worried about using the oven? What about mixing in bowls that may have had peanut butter in them in the past? Obviously, they've been washed since, but should I wash everything again, just to be sure?

Also, I was going to make boxed mix brownies (Betty Crocker). I've read the ingredients list, and there's nothing that sounds like it's nut-related to me, but I'm no expert. The only allergy warning on the package relates to wheat. If it's not safe to use the box mix, is there a recipe website that I could use?

Thanks for any help!

sportsguy2315
10-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Tammy,
As a former peanut allergen, I do have some words of wisdom for you. You should be fine with the brownies as most if not all food manufacturers now outline in bold any common allergens (Wheat, soy, peanut, etc.) at the bottom of the ingredient list. As for cross contamination, if you're concerned about the utensils from last Christmas, you should be fine, but I would wash them again to be safe rather than sorry.

jensantuit
10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
We have a couple of friends who have the peanut allergy and I've made brownies for them with a Betty Crocker box mix and had no troubles. I would just check the ingredients which it sounds like you have done. I don't think you need to worry about cross contamination, but if you are worried, you could always wash them again to be on the safe side.

Mickey'sGirl
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Schools in Ontario have been Nut free for at least the last decade, so any treats we send/prepare are Nut free.

What about a fruit plate, or cheese and crackers? It's a nice change from the sweet stuff (my kids are not all that keen on the sweet stuff, other than chocolate and ice cream). With the cheese and crackers, I would send some large goldfish crackers and some regular saltines, along with precut slices of mild cheddar or the like. I never got any leftovers back!

I also meant to add, that I am allergic to nuts as well. As long as things are well washed and do not have any nut stuff visibly on them, I am fine. The oven has not been an issue. I don't use boxed mixes, but I agree that they have become much more proactive about labelling "nuts", "glutens" etc. on the front. That said, as a person who is allergic to nuts, I NEVER eat baked goods if I can't discuss the ingredients with the baker. This was ingrained on me as a child (before nut bans were around), and I would not be surprised if this child will be the same way. I imagine that he/she will be supplying his/her own treats.

Tinkermom
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Schools in Ontario have been Nut free for at least the last decade, so any treats we send/prepare are Nut free.

What about a fruit plate, or cheese and crackers? It's a nice change from the sweet stuff (my kids are not all that keen on the sweet stuff, other than chocolate and ice cream). With the cheese and crackers, I would send some large goldfish crackers and some regular saltines, along with precut slices of mild cheddar or the like. I never got any leftovers back!

I also meant to add, that I am allergic to nuts as well. As long as things are well washed and do not have any nut stuff visibly on them, I am fine. The oven has not been an issue. I don't use boxed mixes, but I agree that they have become much more proactive about labelling "nuts", "glutens" etc. on the front. That said, as a person who is allergic to nuts, I NEVER eat baked goods if I can't discuss the ingredients with the baker. This was ingrained on me as a child (before nut bans were around), and I would not be surprised if this child will be the same way. I imagine that he/she will be supplying his/her own treats.

Our 13 year old son has a life-threatening peanut allergy. As Jennifer said a lot of kids with these allergies bring their own snack just in case. When my son was in elementary I was usually the one to provide snacks to make it easier on everyone. Here are some ideas:
- Rice Krispie treats
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish
- A snack mix made with small pretzels, chex cereal, Hershey chocolate chips, raisins
- I love Jennifer's idea of cheese (cubes maybe?) and crackers and/or fruit
- Brownies are fine as long as there are no nuts and the allergy info does not list peanut or peanut products

As far as baking - just be sure your pan, bowl etc are clean. If you have used them since Christmas and they have been washed and through the dishwasher you are fine. No worries about the oven!

Whatever you purchase just be sure to check ingredients and look below the ingredients for allergy info/warnings. We stay away from anything that says "may contain peanuts/nuts" or "manufactured in a facility that contains peanuts/nuts". We do this because DS actually had a reaction to an oatmeal cookie that had stated "may contain peanuts/nuts". This was back when he was about 3 or 4 (we were still learning about all of this!) so we just never take the chance now. If a particular food item is the first off the line after they made something with peanuts or peanut butter then there would be some residual peanut. It is like Russian Roulette for us!

As a mom of a child with a peanut allergy I thank you for being so cautious!!!!!!:thumbsup::mickey:

alphamommy
10-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

I talked to the boy's dad this morning, and he assured me that the brownies would be fine, as well as Rice Krispie treats. He thanked me for asking many times.

I think I'll go with the Rice Krispie treats, since DD wants to take brownies for her birthday in January.

Thanks again!

DisneyDog
10-28-2009, 08:14 PM
You might just want to buy a disposable pan for this purpose so you don't have to worry about where it's been or what's been in it. Plus it gives you something to in which to carry the treats.

MickeyMousse
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow, I am surprised that you are even allowed to make things from home and bring them into class. Our district put a kabosh on home baked goodies due to allergies and we can only provide store bought/sealed packaged items now.
Which doesn't always work-store made brownies with a label that had no nuts listed in the ingredients ended up being loaded with walnuts!

NJGIRL
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem in my sons class. This is a little different direction but I ended up doing crackers and cheese. I got string cheese and made an outline of a snake with it. In the middle I put the cubed cheese that I had cut up. I used black olives for the eyes and a red roasted peeper for it's tongue. I arranged the crackers around the outside of the snake for the ground. The kids loved it and it was something different than all the sweets.

They kids like it so much I ended up doing a snowman for their Christmas Party.

kcrc
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
My son has a peanut allergy too, so I too appreciate your concern and caution. When I prepare something, I send in all of the ingredients, so that the teacher/any parent can verify what I've used. So, if I was making brownies from a mix, I would send in the ingredients of the mix, as well as the list showing other ingredients used to assemble.

I also agree that most of the kids with allergens are trained not to take anything like that (my son included). He'll only take something if he gets the ok from his teacher and/or me.

In our school, they have actually banned food altogether. No food treats for birthdays, parties - nothing. Not even sure they're allowed to have the little ones make the gingerbread houses with the graham crackers. My son's class carved pumpkins last week, and there was even one parent complaining about that.

As the parent of a peanut allergic kid, I can understand the caution. But, I think that these health conditions should be used as a learning tool. Rather than just shutting everything out for everyone, use this as a means to teach kids about nutrition, food allergies, diabetes, etc. Have the class plan the party food - and have them understand why something is/is not safe for kids with different health issues. They can learn about sugar content and low fat options etc all at the same time....

But that's just my 2 cents. I'm off my soapbox now...:mickey:

alphamommy
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I made Rice Krispie Treats (in a disposable pan), and they went over really big! The child with the allergy was so excited that I brought them. He looked in the pan and exclaimed, "Hey! I can have these!" Another parent brought Oreos, which he could also have. He was pawing the ground near the food table, because he was so excited that there were snacks that he knew he could eat.

I'm really glad I called his parents to make sure. Now I know I can make box mix brownies for DD9's birthday in January, because his dad cleared them.

Thanks again!

diz_girl
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I just had to bring in something to my DS's classroom on Friday and it had to be nut or PB free. I throught that everyone would bring in either cupcakes or brownies (which they did), so I decided to bring in chocolate-covered pretzels for a change. They were a hit. You might want to try that next time.

Patricia
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Like Mickey'sGirl our whole school has been nut free for over a decade.

I used to take Rice Krispie squares to the next level and form them in a Mickey cookie pan.. add sprinkles and voila!

Mice Krispies!

:mickey: