PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly but less noise???

brown1442
10-27-2009, 05:26 PM
We are planning a trip in 2/10 with our 2 children. My younger son (4 years old... will be almost 5 when we go) has an autism diagnosis and doesn't always appreciate high volume levels. Constant hum of a crowd doesn't bother him but sudden noises tend to. For example he's not thrilled (ie... meltdown) when the waiters sing "happy birthday" in restaurants... but eats fine in loud sports bars like BW3.

Both our boys are very well behaved in restaurants and sit well for long periods of time so that isn't an issue.

We went 2 years ago and had a FANTASTIC experiences but am looking to expand our horizon with restaurant choices. Last time we did O'hanas, Cali Grill, Coral Reef, Tepanyaki, Kona, and Chef Mickeys (breakfast). We are planning on staying at the Polynesian again (for ease of transportation... ds can't walk far and has a SN stroller/wheelchair for transportation.

Any suggestions??

SBETigg
10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I like Grand Floridian Cafe, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, Narcoossee's, Citricos, and Jiko for decent dining at lower volume.

Bellewannabe
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Our oldest son has autism as well. We've been taking him to Disney since he was 13 months, he's now going on 11 yrs. He's always done well at Flying Fish, Yachtman's Steakhouse and Artist Pointe. All places more geared toward adults but still with full children's menus.

wdw_bound
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Tusker House for the character breakfast - there are several smaller rooms, so the volume never got unbearable.

Although I love WCC, I wouldn't recommend it for your family, as it gets loud quickly. I'd also stay away from Chef Mickeys as the energy level in that place is not unlike Chuck E Cheese on a Saturday afternoon.

Other places we like - Backyard BBQ (great if you need to let the little ones recompose away from the crowd). Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern, Garden Grille and Brown Derby (even my DS4 enjoyed it).

One tip regarding the stroller. Ours is a MaClaren (for DD11). Some restaurants/attractions have treated it like a regular stroller in that they will re-park it, which can be very stressful. At places such as CP where you are likely to have many strollers parked, keep your DS in the stroller until you are about to be seated, and then ask your hostess where the wheelchair should be placed while you eat. Usually, they will point you to an area that is fairly visible even from your table.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
10-27-2009, 07:14 PM
If your son did well at Chef Mickey's for breakfast he'll do well most any place else. One place that comes to mind that you should avoid is Whispering Canyon Cafe. Its very loud and there are many sudden outbursts of action. Other than that I can't think of any place I'd leave out. Some of the places you listed are our faves and to us its worth going back to some of them.

brown1442
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
If your son did well at Chef Mickey's for breakfast he'll do well most any place else.

That was 2 years ago though and he's MUCH more defensive about noise now. Also, we were lucky enough to be in a back corner away from most of the commotion which helped... same thing with O'hana!

Thanks for the tip on Wispering Canyon that was one we were looking at... :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
10-27-2009, 09:29 PM
My son is about the same age as yours. He has high functioning autism, and he is the same way about noises.

After having JUST stayed at Contemporary Resort (for an adults only trip), I'd DEFINITELY steer clear from Chef Mickey's! That place gave ME a headache, and I didn't even eat there.

I'd also avoid California Grill. It's SUPER loud and then if you are there during fireworks, it's even LOUDER. The fact that there is an open kitchen makes it louder in there. Lots of pots and pans and dishes banging around.

Know that Whispering Canyon has a "quiet room". If you really want to go for the FOOD, and not the "fun" (which would be us...as our kids don't really participate in group activities like the ones at WCC and 'Ohana), ask to be seated in the quiet area.

Agree that Kona is great for both food and low noise/inducing a zen like calm (at least for me). We plan to go there when we take our kids to WDW for the first time next April.

BigThunderFan
10-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Boma is a great place that I think might fit your needs. The food is amazing and the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a place you just have to see. All of the details and colors in the hotel will be a great place for your son to explore, not to mention the animals!

kakn7294
10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd also avoid 50's Prime Time - there tends to be loud outbursts there as well.