PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana vs Boma?

hope23
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I'd love your insight on which of these restaurants you'd choose for dinner with your family (including DS 4 and DS 5)? We've been to 'Ohana and really enjoyed it... but seem to be hearing some mixed reviews on it lately. We've done Boma breakfast in the past and really enjoyed it, but haven't tried dinner. So... which would you choose for dinner?

lighteningqueen
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
My 2 cents Ohana was horrible last time and food was undercooked, wait staff rude or non existant. Bomas is plain weird food for dinner.Not normal tasting. I am giving it another try this year. but last time they never filled the salads or soups the entire time I was there and that is all i would eat. Just not a fan of odd tasting foods.Kids, well Ohanas coconut race last only a minute so after that not much to do except the bar thing cannot for the life of me thinl of the name of it??? But that is if you are still there. Not all gets to do it if there are lots of kids and our grandson came back with a long face 2 times. How about Whispering canyon its fun and good food as well. Better food than the 2 you mentioned. Just my 2 cents worth.

SBETigg
10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Boma is my daughter's new favorite-- and she's our picky eater. She can't wait to go back. I would like to return, too. 'Ohana is also one we enjoy, but Boma would rate above it for us now.

stitchaholic
10-27-2009, 05:56 AM
i had to nake the same choice this year,and we chose boma for this january, can;t wait to see the lodge.
there is regular fare such as chicken,and if all else fails,there will be zebra domes,lol!

GrumpyFan
10-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Ohana for dinner is a must do for our family. We love the food and fun that they have there every night. On occasion it's been somewhat lacking, and the menu has changed a few times over the years, but we always go back.
We've tried Boma on 2 different occasions and just couldn't find anything that great about it. The food there isn't bad, but it just seems bland, and none of our family of 6 enjoyed it near as much as Ohana.

DVC2004
10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd pick Ohana. You can always order a kids meal- they are available on request. Also it's very entertaining for children. There's live music, coconut races, limbo contests, hula hoop contests. It's really fun and the food is great. It's a family favorite we do each trip.

Bellewannabe
10-27-2009, 05:44 PM
We have never been to Ohana but LOVE Boma. We go every trip, both breakfast and dinner. There is recognizable food for the 3, 4, and 10 year olds at our table and interesting exotic stuff for we adults. Desserts are delicious and good selection of Africans wines makes it a must.

jillluvsdisney
10-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I vote for Boma also. I think the food is better and fresher also. They do have a carving station
and some "kid" type selections on the buffet like chicken fingers and spaghetti. I think everyone should be able to find something to enjoy to eat. I believe they describe the dishes on the buffet by listing the ingerdients. I think it's one of the truely unique buffets at WDW.

Belle_0717
10-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Boma there is more of a variety of food. Everyone in your party can find something they will eat.

SillySymphony
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Have to say- done both enjoyed both, but for completely different reasons. We ate at O'Hana last year for our 25th. Servers knew of our special night and gave us a perfect window table for MK fireworks. We found the menu (again) to our liking, and our server was VERY attentive. One important note about O'Hana. This... is a family restaurant. Gotta love the kiddos, cocoanut races, hoola-hoop contest, Luau music and, most importantly, the method of service (skewer). That being said, our family's first night routine ALWAYS included a visit here. Our little area of Massachusetts' idea of a Hawaiian meal was a pineapple wedge and singing, "Tiny Bubbles" !!! Boma, on the other hand is unfairly called a buffet. It IS a true Disney experience, in that you are transported to a wonderful little place complete with fragrances, sights and sounds unlike anything else at WDW. Dishes are often prepared freshly in front of you, and while it's true that some offerings will be unfamiliar, there REALLY are choices for everyone which will include your opportunity to sample true African tastes. Next, your servers are "emissaries" of their respective continent. If you have inquisitive children, this is your chance to introduce them to a wonderful culture. Finally, go early or stay behind and stroll outside on the deck. You'll be glad you came !

ThanxForNoticin
10-28-2009, 05:33 AM
These are absolutely 2 of our favorites at Disney. Both are excellent experiences. With young kids like you have, I'd probably give a slight edge to 'OHana (due to the fun games they do with the kids). However, since you've already eaten there and have not yet tried Boma, I could easily recommend you try the new experience. In short, you can't go wrong with either, in our opinion. Have fun!