PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Safety Spiel

BigThunderFan
10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know when the safety spiel on Big Thunder Mountain was changed or why? I know it didn't change much, but I personally am not a fan of how it is said now, even if it is the same words.

We went in 2000 and it was the original way, but then after an eight year hiatus in 2008 it was different. Not a fan of the emphasis on wiiiiilllderness...

mcjaco
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM
It's still spoken the same way it was, even with the "wiiiillldernesss" part. It just a different voice over. Not sure on the reasons of the change.

darthmacho
10-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I've noticed a change from when I last went in 2003 and to videos of BTM on YouTube (I know, I'm pretty desperate.) I feel that the old prospecter's voice just doesn't sound as wonderfully kooky as he used to...:laughing:

beksy
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I totally missed this! I'm now headed to utube :bolt:

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Howdy partners! For your safety, remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats or glasses, best remove em! Cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Para su seguridad, permanecen sentados con sus manos, brazos, pies y piernas, por dentro y ver a sus hijos.

...can you tell I used to work there? 2 years later and I still can hear it in my sleep.

gueli
11-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Howdy partners! For your safety, remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats or glasses, best remove em! Cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Para su seguridad, permanecen sentados con sus manos, brazos, pies y piernas, por dentro y ver a sus hijos.

...can you tell I used to work there? 2 years later and I still can hear it in my sleep.

So would you rather have had its a small world going round and round every night ? :D

DisneyFr33k
11-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I totally missed this! I'm now headed to utube :bolt:

Me too! We were just there last week and didn't notice!

BigThunderFan
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
It's my favorite ride (if you couldn't tell by my name on here!) so I immediately noticed when we went in April 08. I agree with darthmacho, he just doesn't sound as kooky as he used to.

I have a copy of the original on CD that I found years ago, at least I'm able to listen to that and remember the good old days. Oh well, it's not like they changed the ride all that much, but like another post has pointed out, WDW is all about the DETAILS!:(

Imagineer1981
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree, at some point it was changed to add the spanish warning and its just not the same, the prospector isn't nearly as fun, nor is he as loud as he once was

BigThunderFan
11-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Also for those of you that don't remember, here's how the original went:

"Howdy folks! Please keep your hands, arms, and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses, 'cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

DisneyFanaticDargon
11-04-2009, 02:05 AM
I agree, at some point it was changed to add the spanish warning and its just not the same, the prospector isn't nearly as fun, nor is he as loud as he once was

I'm not racist by any means but I HATE the Spanish spiels. Not so much because they exist, but rather that they really have a tendency to take you out of the moment.

Whereas the English spiel is usually quite fitting to the attraction, the Spanish one just seems like they grabbed the first person they could find that spoke Spanish and had them read from a cue card with no inflection or character. If they were a little more in-line with the theme it'd be a different story. But the Spanish spiels always sound cold and straightforward...like the monorail announcements.

SpecJoe Magic
11-04-2009, 06:22 AM
It's still spoken the same way it was, even with the "wiiiillldernesss" part. It just a different voice over. Not sure on the reasons of the change.

The topic starter is correct. The "wiiiilllderness" part is definitely pronounced with more emphasis on the current version than it was on the older version.

Imagineer1981
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
The topic starter is correct. The "wiiiilllderness" part is definitely pronounced with more emphasis on the current version than it was on the older version.

Agreed. The original was much better but I thought it was like this:

"Howdy folks, please keep your hands and arms in side the train at all times. Hold on to your personal belongings now, especially those hats and glasses, 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness"

And he said it like, "hold on to your personal belongings now" and then almost as a special note he changed his tone a bit "especially those hats and glasses", and then got excited again with "cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness"

BigThunderFan
11-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Agreed. The original was much better but I thought it was like this:

"Howdy folks, please keep your hands and arms in side the train at all times. Hold on to your personal belongings now, especially those hats and glasses, 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness""

All I know is I have a copy on CD that is NOT said that way...

darthmacho
11-05-2009, 03:40 PM
This is a hilarious topic. You know you have too much time on your hands when you debate the subtle changes in inflection of the voice of a kooky old prospector in the safety spiel of a theme park ride. We're the deep thinking philosphers of our time! :laughing:

BigThunderFan
11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Just trying to find a way to get through the next 78 days 18 hours 40 mins and 30 seconds...:thedolls:

darthmacho
11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Just trying to find a way to get through the next 78 days 18 hours 40 mins and 30 seconds...:thedolls:

Anything it takes. I find the most interesting topics are those about the most minute of details...:mickey:

Imagineer1981
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
This is a hilarious topic. You know you have too much time on your hands when you debate the subtle changes in inflection of the voice of a kooky old prospector in the safety spiel of a theme park ride. We're the deep thinking philosphers of our time! :laughing:

So true, and I have the spiel on home video and that IS how it used to be said...ha ha