PDA

View Full Version : Last Call concert at Philly's Spectrum

DisneyDog
10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I was there last night! Anyone else go? It was amazing! I love the Hooters and Hall and Oates. My DH is friends with Dave U, the Hooters drummer. He tried to get us upgraded tickets and backstage passes but security was all messed up and he couldn't (he is getting us tix to see them at the Borgata next month instead). Tickets were only $4 to see the Hooters, Todd Rungren and Hall and Oates. The $4 seats were really bad. So we moved down when Rungren was on. No one was paying attention who sat where anyway.

The show was mc'd by Pierre Robert and John DeBella. It was nice to see those two together again. But the most exciting moment came when Hall and Oates were introduced by surpise guests -- The Bacon Brothers!!! I can't believe I was in the same room as Kevin Bacon!!!

The Hooters were awesome as usual. Rungren is not my cup of tea, and the crowd didn't seem interested. Hall and Oates are so amazingly talented. Daryl Hall has an incredible voice!! Still!!

It was emotional saying goodbye to the Spectrum -- or as Pierre called it "the old girl." But I can definitely say it's time has come. The place is old and worn. The sound system and accoustics aren't powerful enough for modern concerts. And IF you could find real food to eat, there was no place to eat it.

But, it was a fun night that I will always remember.

PirateLover
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I didn't go to this show but I've been to a few "Farewell" events... Flyers-Phantoms game, 2 Springsteen concerts (Including his last Spectrum concert last tuesday, which was the best I've ever seen) and I agree it's time for it to go. I have a soft spot for it considering I spent a lot of time there in my youth, but the thing is a borderline death trap these days. When there is a sold out event, you can't move in the concourse. The floor is permanently sticky. And yea, food selection is subpar.
But I'm glad you had a great time!!!

SBETigg
10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
The Hooters are still out there playing? Wow. I had no idea. I saw Hall and Oates in the 80s. They put on a good show. I'm sure they still do! Glad you had a great time!

I am so not a fan of Springsteen, Maryanne, but I'm glad you had fun at your Springsteen show, too.

DisneyDog
10-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I didn't used to like Springsteen. I've started to appreciate him more recently. Maybe because I love Max Weinberg :). I love drummers! (I better, being married to one!)

Yup the Hooters are still together and they are still amazing. Someone posted a few videos from last nights show on youtube. Just search Spectrum last call and you will find them.

I was just wondering why they didn't try to get Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumbler's to reunite for that show. Or even ask Cyndi Lauper to perform (esp since the Hooters and the late great Robert Hazard wrote most of her songs). They would have been so much better than Rungren.

Ian
10-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm going to miss that old dump, too. I saw many, many a Flyers game there waaaaaaay back in the day. Lots of great memories, especially of taking my kids there to see the Phantoms play and being there for both of their Calder Cup winning games.

Not to mention dozens of concerts and other events.

But yes, her time has come. The last time I was there I was struck by just how rundown it was. We said goodbye to JFK and the Vet and now the last of the old guard ...

PirateLover
10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Lots of great memories, especially of taking my kids there to see the Phantoms play and being there for both of their Calder Cup winning games.

Your memory is getting hazy! Phantoms won the 2nd Calder Cup at the Wachovia Center. I was at both as well. Had season tickets for 4 years. The 1st was one of the loudest crowds I've ever been a part of... the Spectrum was really good for noise levels.

Hammer
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I have many great memories of concerts and Sixers games at the Spectrum. Like everyone else, I do agree it's time has passed and it does need to go. I said my goodbye to the Spectrum when they had a Sixers/Flyers/Phillies merchandise sale at the end of July.

And thanks to this thread, "Escalator of Life" has been playing in my head all day today :crazy: !

Ian
10-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Your memory is getting hazy! Phantoms won the 2nd Calder Cup at the Wachovia Center. I was at both as well. Had season tickets for 4 years. The 1st was one of the loudest crowds I've ever been a part of... the Spectrum was really good for noise levels.Yeah, I was just sort of spouting some random thoughts out there ... you're right, obviously. The second championship was at the Center.

NJGIRL
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I will miss it too. I had been to so many concerts there when I was younger. Too many to count! Great memories not to be relived in front of my son:blush:

Not to mention all the years we had Flyers season tickets (before they moved across the street).

I took my youngest sister to her first concert. It was the Hooters. They were a blast. Still love them.

They probably had Todd there beause he is a Philly guy and so are the Hooters. Are Hall & Oates???? I don't know much about them, not my type of music.

DisneyDog
10-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Yup, Hall and Oates are Philly guys. They moved to New York to get their careers going, but they are originally Philly guys. Yes, Todd is a Philly (actually Upper Darby) guy. But, his style of music just didn't complement the other two bands (did I mention a few people actually booed when he left the stage?) I suggested Cyndi, even though she is from NJ, because she had the same manager as the Hooters and has many connections to them. Plus she can actually sing. LOL.

Christine, funny you mentioned "escalator of life." The people sitting behind me were obviously not very familiar with the Hooters. One guy said to another that Escalator of Life was their biggest hit. :confused: I did, gently, let him know that it was actually Robert Hazard's biggest hit.

NJGIRL
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, Todd is a Philly (actually Upper Darby) guy. But, his style of music just didn't complement the other two bands (did I mention a few people actually booed when he left the stage?)

Funny little bit of info... My Brother In Law's grandfather was a high school teacher and had him in one of his classes. He said he was a smart mouth punk in high school.

diz_girl
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Farewell Spectrum. I saw Bobby Clarke and Dr. J. play there and I saw my first and second concerts ever there too (U2 - March 1985 and Madonna - April 1985). Very sad, but it was time. :(