PDA

View Full Version : 2 Dining Reviews: 'Ohana vs. Whispering Canyon October, 2009

Goes4FastPass
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
'Ohana

Not as good as it once was. Hello cousins welcome here's your salad and let's get started with skewers. Rush, rush, rush. When one of our group asked for a drink menu cousin Kalani (server) sighed and asked "Did the hostess show you the drinks on display as you came in?" Still, we persevered and then ordered cocktails that arrived halfway though dinner. I know 'Ohana wants to turn tables but aren't alcoholic drinks profitable? The food was OK for what it was. Unpeeled barbequed shrimp tasted good but were as messy to eat as you might imagine. The sirloin was a chew it until you give up then discreetly put it back on your plate no-go.

Worst thing: We were very rushed.

Best thing: Our server asked the table 'What does "Ohana mean?" Our 3YO apparently remembering how he got to the Polynesian Resort, happily answered, "Monorail!"

Whispering Canyon

The best it's been since we first went there 10 years ago. Skillet currently = salad, ribs, beef brisket, barbequed chicken, shredded pork, mashed potatoes, even the corn on the cob was all good. Usual antics included every time anyone in the restaurant asked for ketchup that server would call for every bottle of ketchup in the place to be taken to that table. In the midst of the stick pony stampede our server, Lucky Lori, noticed our skillet was mostly gone. Before I could stammer out "Brisket" or "Ribs" She offered, "How about I bring you another skillet? I nodded and she said, "That's what I like to hear!" then the whole thing started again. Lori noticing our eventual surrender reminded us we were DDPers and sent us out with a bag of desserts, "For late tonight or first thing tomorrow!"

Worst thing: It was all good.

Best thing: Great server, food and atmosphere.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Whispering Canyon is one of our favourites - glad you had a good time there :mickey:

SBETigg
10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing you were while reading your 'Ohana review: wait, aren't alcoholic drinks profitable? She must have been having an off night. Love your three year old's answer, too cute!

Whispering Canyon sounds good. I've never been there. Thanks for the reviews.

TheVBs
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Yum! The Whispering Canyon meal sounds delicious. We'll have to try that next time!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-22-2009, 04:07 PM
That's good to hear about Whispering Canyon...I've seen so many mixed reviews on it...

KylesMom
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry you received the "rush 'em in, rush 'em out" treatment at Ohana. I, too was thinking the same thing about the beverages. Unfortunate, since I know they can do better.

Glad you had a great experience at WCC. It's one of our must-do dining traditions! :mickey:

fanofdisney
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
We had a similar experience at Ohana's last Oct. We aren't planning on going back for quite some time. Very disappointing isn't it? So many other good restaurants to go to and to have 1 not be what you are hoping for...:( On the other hand I am happy to hear WC was good.

GreenBeetle
10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm really having second thoughts now about our first trip to Ohana in January. It seemed like most everyone on Intercot raved about this one - lots of fun, tons of food, great menu etc.

First I hear that the shrimp is not peeled or deveined :sick:, now they try to rush you through your dinner . . . should I be looking for an alternate location??

Do they treat everyone like this, or only people using the DDP?

lighteningqueen
10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Ohanas is off our list. Very little food no refills anon talkative wait staff rushed and raw meats besides tough. Never again will I go and pay 30.00 for myself to have salad and had to beg and then wait 40 minutes for another bowl for us... There are way more places to go than there and be treated and fed decently. Like Whispering Canyon.

alliekat
10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I love WCC, don't you love the unlimited milkshakes?! I apreciate the feedback on Ohana, I think I will wait on that one for a while.

Goes4FastPass
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
...don't you love the unlimited milkshakes?!...

I forgot the unlimited milkshakes included as a beverage (though I have a photo of GrSon working on his).

When (server) Luck Lori told us the flavor list my wife and DIL stopped her at 'orange' and really enjoyed their orange milkshakes.

lighteningqueen
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Good choice.

We are trying 6 New ones this year
Yak and Yeti
Teppon Edo
Nine dragons
Tutto Italio
Liberty Tree Tavern
Kona Break

Haven't heard bad on these so hoping I chose well.

Al;so doing 50's Prime
Boma, I do not care for but hubby does
Tusker Break yum
Crystal Palace break good

Spaceship Tigger
10-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Not surprised by the service at Ohana. Our first trip there was great, but the second two were just okay. The service wasn't great either of those visits and we definitely felt rushed both times. Actually, on the third trip we were rushed through eating and then had to wait way too long to pay.

I've never had a complaint about Whispering Canyon despite the sometimes poor reviews I hear. I love both breakfast and dinner there.

darthmacho
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Love Whispering Canyon! We ate there for lunch in 1998, and dinner in 2003. It's on our agenda for 2010, as I know the kids will have a great time!