PDA

View Full Version : Cakes @ Disney

TinksGoofyMom
10-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm sure that just last week while going through all of the posts and blogs that I saw a link w/ photos of cakes you can order at WDW. They were personal photos uploaded. Now, I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me? We leave Sat 10/24 and my DD's bday is the 29th.

paulsheri
10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Once you know their Advanced Dining Reservation, you can call the Cake Hotline at 407-827-2253 and make arrangements. Inquire about the extra charge for the cake and be sure to give at least 48 hours advance notice. This cake will be personalized.

TinksGoofyMom
10-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, but I have that number. It's the picture link that I'm looking for. It shows the cake, lists the price and the person's comments on whether they liked it and some other details. The cakes were gorgeous and included a chocolate or white chocolate Cinderella slipper w/ chocolate mousse filling and fruit on the side. The pictures went from simple to elaborate and cheap to outrageous.

Pally
10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
If you you were looking to order a custom cake, I believe you might have been on another site. I have seen this site and used it to order our 18th anniversary cake in August. I don't know if I can post the site? You can google "original cake thread" and then I am sure you can fine what you are looking for. Now these would be custom cakes which are more expensive than just the pre-ordered cakes the restaurants have on hold.

I ordered our cake through the Grand Flordian for our ADR at Grand Flordian Cafe and talked to Pat. We ordered a white cake with fresh strawberries and vanilla custard. It had the rolled icing and the decorations were beautiful. The flowers they had on top were so real looking and delicate. WE loved it.

Not all of the restaurants have there own bakeries. The Grand Flordian and Yatch/Beach Club do.

When I ordered I called the cake hot line number (407)827-2253 and followed the instructions for getting the Grand Floridian and asked for Pat Anderson. She is the person who will work with you in designing and ordering your cake for any restaurant at the Grand Flordian. We also ordered a white chocolate Mickey with Tuxcedo strawberries for you sons. They were delicious.

If you are at other restaurants you can ask for a custom cake and there might be a delivery charge.

TinksGoofyMom
10-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I'll try it.

Disney_Barbie
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Just a warning, if I may : In my experience (only did a custom cake once before) it's hard to do, enless you're dinning @ Cinderella's Royal Table or one of the GF resturants.
I wanted to order a custom cake for our anniversary while dining @ the California Grill and the end result was amazing. However, getting there was entirely jumping thru hoops. I assumed the "cake hot line" was going to be a sweet, comprehensive staff of cast members just awaiting to help me "customize" my dinning experience (kind of the way the Disney Florist is. They seem ready and able to help me get what ever I want & that's what I imagined the cake hot line would be) however, the cake hotline was just a serious of automated menus that eventually directed me the Contemporary Private Dinning. Once on the phone w/ them I was told my "ONLY" optoins were the standard "podium" cake (6 inch sara lee white cake w/ white frosting or chocolate cake w/ chocolate frosting) - that was the only option end of story.
It was only due to these boards that I had the determination to keep pushing and keep calling until I FINALLY got someone who helped me (gave me an email address to contact the baker directly and submit my request. From there on, everyone was easy & accomidating - the bakers were AMAZINGLY helpfull!) But in my personal experience dealing w/ the cake hotline and private dinning was TORTURE!

Side Note : I found it so ironic (most people complain that disney is out to squeeze EVERY possible dime out of them ) where as in my experience, I had to jump thru hoops in order to spend more money. They kept trying to convince me to just order the podium cakes (for what like $8.99 or whatever they are) when what I WANTED was a special custom order cake (that ended up running me, around like $55 or something) but I had to PUSH the private dinning staff in to letting me get what I wanted (IE - spending an extra $50, haha, you would think they'd be happy to up-sell me - go figure!)
Additional Side Note - incase anyone is wondering if a $55 dessert is worth it. IT TOTALLY WAS. I mean, not for every night, but if celebrating a special occation Go for it! The Contemporary bakers did a beautifull job of recreating the taste of our wedding cake (truthfully, I think this was better than our wedding cake) We brought it back to our room & enjoyed it for the rest of the week. It was AMAZINGLY delicious and well worth the money spent. I just wish the ordering process would have been easier :(

MinnieMommie
10-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Is it possible for you to share that email and any other contact information. I have 2 birthdays being celebrated during our upcoming trip and am preparing now. I really want to order something special. Was your cake tiered? :mickey:

ElenitaB
10-23-2009, 06:47 PM
The best way to obtain a specialized cake (and not the standard "podium" cake, which BTW are no longer Sara Lee) is to choose your restaurant wisely. By that I mean, either go with a restaurant that has an established record of providing beautiful custom cakes (such as any GF restaurant or the Yachtsman Steakhouse), or to order them through the resort's private dining line.

I've had mixed results when ordering through Private Dining. The cake delivered to WL was nice, but not super-wow! The cake and goodies I had delivered through the Contemporary's Private Dining line were amazing!

Another alternative —if transportation is not a problem— is to order a custom cake from the Boardwalk Bakery.

Please do not share a CM's email address publically on the boards. That person may be put in an awkward position if they no longer in the same role (it happens); you will be directed to the correct person (eventually). We have each hotel's switchboard number posted on InfoCentral if you'd like to call Private Dining there, and the Cake Hotline is 407-827-2253, as has been posted above.

That said, I do agree with DisneyBarbie... to order a custom cake, you practically have to job through hoops (on fire, no less)! I have never understood why they make it so hard.

MinnieMommie
10-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I have gotten cakes at Boardwalk Bakery and have transported them to where we have wanted to have our birthday celebrations (last time it was Tambu Lounge). They offer chocolate, white and a really nice cake with chocolate ganache frosting. I can attest that they are not Sara Lee.

GF and YC do have their own Bakeries and make really nice specialty cakes. We are dining at Yachtsman's Steakhouse for one of our birthday celebrations this trip but do not want to have the birthday cake celebration after dinner there.

Since we are staying at BLT I am going to chance that I will be able to go over to GF and talk with someone who may be able to deliver or let me pick up a specialty cake. It will not hurt to ask. If this works I will let you all know.
:mickey: