PDA

View Full Version : No Attractions?

ransam
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
this may not be the right forum and i apologize in advance if it's not.
but last night my friend and i were dicussing if we could go to Disneyworld, for a week, and not go to any attractions?
so do you think you could do it and still be just as happy as you would going to attractions.
here are the rules....
you stay on site, hotel of your choice. you stay a week. have the deluxe dining plan so you can eat anywhere you want (no show meals-luau, hoop de roo), you have a park hopper pass. you can go through any que you want, you can go in any shopping area, you can go through the countries at epcot and explore the countries. you can use disney's off park perks (golf, boating, etc), you can view parades, fireworks,e tc...(bascially anything that you don't have to wait in line for)

He thinks it would be boring, but i disagree. I love the attractions...but i think it be pretty awesome to just take my time and appreciate all the little things Disney does, to look for the details, to appreciate how nothing is there w/o a reason...
so having said that...what are your thoughts? would you be bored? or would you think you could still have fun just exploring?

joonyer
10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe it could be done, but . . . . . WHY?

ransam
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
The why? why not? ha
I'm just saying that there is so much detail in every thing Disney does, that sometimes we miss out on that and don't appreciate it.
I listened to a pod cast w/ a tour of Hollywood Studios w/ one of the imagineers. it was really interesting to listen to him walking around HS and talking about the architecture of some of the buildings and why certain details were there....and i realized as i am usually rushing down the road toward the Tower of terror, i missed so much.

Seasonscraps
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
DH & I did a 5 day resort only trip in the summer. We just wanted to get away for a few days and relax. We are DVC so the hotel was already covered and NYC-MCO is an easy and fairly inexpensive flight. We spent a lot of time hanging out by the pool, some time on the Boardwalk & DTD, etc.

Ms. Mode
10-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Yuo know, we are going a couple of days early in January just to visit the Boardwalk and DTD. I think you could easily spend a week of better without attactions. They are GREAT...but you spend so much time running and/or waiting for one that you miss so many other things :mickey:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Does the boatride from Riverside to DTD count? That was one of the most peaceful and scenic boat rides I was ever on...at night it was even more fun. I could take that ride all day.

stitchaholic
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
i could definitly see a resoert trip only with delux dining, however, if you are going to get park hoppers, and go through the cues, i would not see the sense in not enjoying the ride as well, i would just take your time to slow down and take in all the detail you want to,without feeling the rush to run for FP.

brownie
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
2-3 days maybe, but not a week!

disneymom15
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm with stitchaholic. If I'm going into the parks, I'm going to do some rides. I'd maybe cut back on the amount of rides I do.

Daisy'sMom
10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I think it would be a great way to experience the WDW we take for granted. So many times we rush thru to get the fast pass or stand in line for a ride, we miss the extras that are there. I think my family should try it sometime and I am going to bring it up tonight at dinner.

BluewaterBrad
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I would have a tough time not hopping on any attractions. Have a great time though!!:mickey:

ransam
10-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I think it would be a great way to experience the WDW we take for granted. So many times we rush thru to get the fast pass or stand in line for a ride, we miss the extras that are there. I think my family should try it sometime and I am going to bring it up tonight at dinner.

i agree with you, but don't blame me when your family starts throwing their mash potatoes at you.:mickey:

DisneyDog
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
If I did, then I wouldn't spend the small fortune for the park passes. I would lounge at the pool, go to the spa, and just relax, then go to the shops and restaurants at night. I could easily do that. But I wouldn't pay for the passes and not go on any rides or attractions.

Joannelet
10-21-2009, 08:24 PM
When your a cast member you get into the parks for free whenever you want. I did this many times when I was there-going into parks just to go shopping or to look for something that I heard about (hidden mickey etc).
Its definitely possible because I did this many times. Basically the parks were my mall. Instead of going to an actual mall I'd be like hmmmmm what park will I go to today? Somedays I would just go to a specific park to just shop. :)
Then there were days where I'd wake up and say hmmmmmmm today I feel like going on the haunted mansion and I would just get up and go ride it :)
Those were the days!!! :)
I dont' think I could do that if I was on vacation there though. This July I was there for a WDW wedding and we didn't get any tickets to the parks because my DH and I were both in the wedding party and we had my DS who was only 7 months at the time. I did however cave in and get tix to go to MK. I just couldn't be there with my baby and not have him meet Mickey!! I was dying!! :) So at least we did all of Fantasyland. :) Those rides are what its truly all about! :)
I tried not to go to any parks and I just couldn't do it. :) So no I don't think I'd be able to do it if I was on vaca there.
Working there is a different story because you have time not to go on attractions and you have lots of time TO go on them :)

IloveDisney71
10-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Nope - I couldn't do it. I'd love to have the time to go do many of the other things listed by the previous posters but I'd have to ride the attractions too. :mickey:

Dznygrl79
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I so could see that, I could see spending time by the pool and taking pictures. I would also love to have time just to shop and eat at some of the more unique places. However I would have a hard time not getting in line for character photos!

blondeinbrandon
10-22-2009, 08:28 AM
This is pretty much how I do WDW. I have a spine injury and I can't ride most of the rides. My DH takes the kids and I sit in a shady spot with a book.:cloud9:
But we do all the shows and stuff, I guess it would be hard to do absolutly nothing.

ransam
10-22-2009, 09:47 AM
i think it's an interesting discussion. and thank you everyone for your wonderful replies....It's easy for me to be here in Kansas, sitting at my desk, hoping that the next 51 days go by quickly, and to say I would love to do Disney and not go on attractions....however, i'm sure once in the park and I see Small World, the jungle cruise, tower of terror, Muppet show, soarin', etc....i would have a hard time just walking past them.
The last thing i do at disney during my trips, is to spend the last few hours, just strolling through Magic Kingdom...one last time....watching the people...taking in the smells, sights, just the whole Disney vibe....and i love that. but not sure i could do that for a whole week!!!

hey did i mention, i'm just 51 days away from boarding a plane (in fact, i will be boarding a plane at this exact same time in 51 days!) and going to Disneyworld!!!

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

KylesMom
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm with the "no way" folks. It's difficult for us to do Disney for 15 days without not walking into a park each day. In fact, unless we have something going on off-property, we actually do set foot in a park each day. I can't imagine what it would be like to know our favorite attractions were so close and not experience them.

I will say, however, that we've slowed the pace way down the past couple of years so that we do enjoy the little things at Disney. :mickey:

rubato
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't know if I could do it, but I love the concept! This time (89 days away) I'm not running to do anything! I'm going to slow down and have more time for magic. I'm the planner and the schedule keeper for my family. In the past, it's always been about getting as much done as we can. But, since it's our 3rd time, we can chill out and take it easy. I, too, just want to walk through and take in all the special attention to detail. I bought my son the hidden Mickey book for Christmas, so we can all help him on his quest to find them all! However, I will be riding things since he is 10 years old. We're also going to do more TS meals. We never did more than 1 or 2 on our previous 2 trips. If I'm eating more, I'll be moving slower anyway!!!;)

GrmGrninGost
10-22-2009, 07:50 PM
:confused: Why on earth would you even consider it? WDW is about the whole experience! :mickey:

coneygoil
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I think it'd be pretty awesome! My parents and I kind of did that this past trip a few weeks ago. We went to MK for the first day at rope drop and had only ridden ONE ride by 2p.m. We had the MOST FUN talking and hanging out with CMs! The CMs loved it too having guests think they were the attractions :)

I wish someone would make me NOT ride any rides then I could get so much more done. Darn rides luring me into riding them...

ransam
10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
:confused: Why on earth would you even consider it? WDW is about the whole experience! :mickey:

i agree, and that's kind of the point...by running to and from the rides, we miss so much that disney offers...