PDA

View Full Version : Dress Codes

EJS-Houston
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
When I was at WDW 2 years ago we tried the Whispering Canyon restaurant in the Wilderness Lodge. When I made the reservations, I was advised that the dress was a little less casual than that at the other restaurants, but when we showed up for our reservations, I have to say, people didn't seem to be dressing any differently there than elsewhere in WDW. We'll be back in 2 weeks and a day (but who's counting? ;) ) and we have reservations for the Flying Fish Cafe on the Disney Boardwalk. I've gotten the same advisory when making this reservation, but this time I'm less inclined to pack special clothes. I'm thinking a pair of cargo pants and a decent shirt ought'a be fine. Any experiences out there that either corroborate or negate this?

Seasonscraps
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Whispering Canyon is a casual restaurant so I am surprised there was any mention of dress code.

Flying Fish is one of their signature dining places and they request business casual dress. You don't need to be really fancy. I would wear regular pants instead of cargo pants but you won't be turned away in them it's a pretty liberal interpreation of business casual.

From info central:

Attire considered appropriate by this dress code is:
• Dress shorts
• Dress pants
• Jean pants
• Collared shirts
• Blouses
• Sweaters
• T-shirts

DVC2004
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
As long as you are not wearing swimwear, ripped/torn clothes, cut off shorts or tak tops you should be fine. From what you describe that sounds acceptable. The dess code is pretty liberal and I have seen someone at Jiko wearing cut off shorts (a man), dirty work boots, and a tye dye t shirt. He was not turned away (probably should have been!).

Ms. Mode
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM
We went into the Brown Derby in mid-August with a major heat wave going on...after being in the parks all day...they didn't care that we were dressed for maximum coolness. I can't understand a dress code when you're on vacation at a Theme Park, who takes dress clothes? REALLY? :confused:

Seasonscraps
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
We went into the Brown Derby in mid-August with a major heat wave going on...after being in the parks all day...they didn't care that we were dressed for maximum coolness. I can't understand a dress code when you're on vacation at a Theme Park, who takes dress clothes? REALLY? :confused:

There's no dress code for the Brown Derby or any of the theme park restaurants since like you said - people are in a theme park.

They only request that people dining in their signature restaurants dress a little nicer/neater. These restaurants are more expensive and have a slightly more formal dining experience then the non-signature places. When DH & I go to one of the signature places like Yachtsman Steakhouse, we like to get a little dressed since we want it to feel more special then eating at a place like Boatrights.

Victoria & Alberts has a stricter more formal dress code.

BMan62
10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
EJ - I would suggest Dockers (or something along those lines) [or Bermuda-type shorts if it is warm enough] and a collared, golf-style shirt. Although they would allow less, in my opinion, it would be more respectful to dress a little nicer for the signature restaurants.

Flying Fish is a very nice restaurant, with excellent food. Enjoy!

EJS-Houston
10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks, Everyone! I greatly appreciate your advice!

KylesMom
10-22-2009, 05:06 PM
EJ, I am curious - are you sure you ate at Whispering Canyon at WL - the loud, raucous casual dining establishment, or did you eat at Artist Point, the signature dining location at WL?

I definitely would choose to dress a bit more upscale at places outside of the parks which are considered 2-TS credits. Not necessarily a suit & tie/skirt & blouse outfit, but definitely more upscale.

DH was incredibly apprehensive about our ADR at Yachtsman's Steakhouse due to their suggested dress code. In the end we didn't end up making the ADR due to a bad storm, but he's not overly-anxious to try it again due to the unbearable heat, humidity and just plain uncomfortableness that dress clothes cause in the middle of the summer.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-22-2009, 06:27 PM
EJ, I am curious - are you sure you ate at Whispering Canyon at WL - the loud, raucous casual dining establishment, or did you eat at Artist Point, the signature dining location at WL?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, a dress code at Whispering Canyon, really??? Either that, or the person at Disney Dining really blew that one...

EJS-Houston
10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
No...I think you're both right...I got my restaurants mixed up. It had to have been Artist's Point, not Whispering Canyon. Sorry for the confusion!

Bellewannabe
10-24-2009, 07:22 AM
We have eaten in most of the upscale restaurants and wouldn't consider not going because of dress. The intent is that you simply not look like you just got out of the pool. Cargos would be fine.