PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space...should I do it?

Belster
10-21-2009, 01:05 AM
We leave Saturday for 9 great days at WDW. My husband is ALWAYS bothering me to go on this ride. (he would be so excited if I decided to go on with him)

For a little background...I go on rides, I love rides. There is only one ride I do not go on in the entire world and that is Mission Space.

My reservations are just this, I do not want to go on and ruin an entire day at WDW sick:sick: because of this ride.

What are your thoughts and experiences???? Can you compare it to anything else out there???

Zippy 1
10-21-2009, 01:36 AM
You could try the green version first. That is what DH and DD did. Neither one of them had a problem with that. Then if you feel you might be ok try the harder version.

Tigerinvestigator
10-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Yep try green first. My DW rode it and had no problems and she can't even swing in a yard swing without getting sick or dizzy! Orange is a whole different animal. I absolutely love the sensation of orange but realize alot of people do get sick.:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
10-21-2009, 06:30 AM
For me, I went on it the first time when there was no green option. I had this little voice inside telling me to opt out when they asked us right before loading us on the ride. I didn't get sick to my stomach, but I felt like all the energy was sucked from my body. All I wanted to do was sleep. :sleepin: After an hour of this really drugged feeling, we stopped by the nurses station and she confirmed what I was experiencing was a form of motion sickness. It really ruined my day at Epcot as it took half the day to snap out of it. In recent trips, we've gone green all the way and it is really fun and not that much different from orange, in my opinion - except I wasn't tired afterwards! :thumbsup:

tink2006
10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
I can't even swing in a yard swing. I get motion sickness at the first sign of any movement. I went on it a couple of times before there was a green option. I had to sit down for about an hour after the ride. It was not a big deal. My DH brought me some water and we people watched until I felt better. Now, I go green all the way. :number1:

rubato
10-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Don't do it! If you get even the least bit queasy, this one isn't for you. I know, I get sick every time I insisit on doing it! I'm actually going to try the green option in January. Now, hubby on the other hand is claustrophobic. That's a whole different issue. Either side is going to bother him equally, but he'll go for our son.

Ms. Mode
10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
We also went on Mission Space before the green ride came along. There are three of us and all three were sick for the rest of the day. Headaches and upset stomach....don't do it:ack:

vicster
10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Do the green one!

AvaNellMouse
10-21-2009, 09:44 AM
My XDH gave me lots of grief about not going on MS with him. I opted to have coffee and a muffin and call home to check in while he rode. He was fine and perky for about two minutes after he rode then it hit him :sick:. We had to leave the park and it was early in the day. He was miserable for the rest of the day - I felt fine but we were staying off site so I lost a whole day, too.
Opt for the muffin/coffee gig. You won't have to worry about being icky and everyone will have a good day at the parks! :thumbsup:

MidnTPK
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Go Green.

I've done both ways and green gives you a great experience, just not as intense. And there's no spinning whatsoever on green, so no risk of motion sickness.

Did the folks who are saying don't-do-it try the green version?

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Our niece Tiff did the orange one. She has had trouble w/veritgo since riding this. She was on meds for atleast 6 months after her trip. Now, she cannot ride anything w/jerking movements. She gets dizzy if a ceiling fan is on. She is better now but, takes no risks now because of all the hassles she has incountered.
If you go to try it, make sure that you do the green version. We 3 have done the green only because of our hearing and inner ear issues. We don't want to be sick while we are at WDW.

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

EJS-Houston
10-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm not prone to motion sickness, but will confess that the first time I rode the Orange version I felt mildly nauseated, but the ride ended before I had a chance to feel really uncomfortable...and the feeling did not last. I've been on the ride many times since then without any problems...however, I would advise anyone with any motion sickness history to stick to the Green version.

JabberJaws
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I know a lot of people bash this ride, but I really like it.

That being said, it has been known to make "some" people sick.

I think the key question is, are you prone to motion sickness?

I am thrill-ride junky so will go on just about any coaster, ride, etc. I have NEVER gotten motion sickness on a ride, attraction, boat, cruise ship, etc. so I am definitely not prone to it. As such, I got no feelings of motion sickness after MS.

If you aren't prone to motion sickness, you should be fine. You may come off feeling a tad dizzy for a minute or two, but I highly doubt that you would get sick.

I say do it. It is a great ride, awesome themeing, and IMO something that everyone who can handle it should ride at least once.

bruin1344
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Try the green one first. Orange maybe worth a try if you arent prone to motion sickness.

Mission space orange is the only ride that gives me some motion sickness. Half of the times Ive been on the orange one, I have felt nauseous for an hour afterwards. I always say I will never do orange again but peer pressured into doing it.

Engine1822
10-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I think it all boils down to if you get motion sickness or not. If you do ride the easy one, if you dont then ride the harder one. Ride it at the end of the day so if you get sick, sleep it off. I personally love the ride. I have 49 days and 13 hours until my trip. Enjoy your trip wether you ride or not!! :hatter::hatter:

MNNHFLTX
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Definitely try the green version, at least. And try not to think about it too much ahead of time--I'm sure anxiety can make the effects of the ride seem worse than they are.

phillydan
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I've done both and can honestly say that Orange had me in a fog for at least 1 hour afterwards. I've since done Green everytime and have been fine. I took my DS7 on Green in August and he had no ill effects from it.

To compare, I feel more loopy (pun intended) after Rock-N-Roller than I do from Mission Space Green. :sick:

brad192
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
If you have motion sickness issues, or are at all worried about the G forces & spinning of M:S, do the Green side once. It's really too good an attraction to miss. That being said...

IMHO, I think the Orange Experience has gotten a bad rap. Yup, there are a lot of people who can't handle the spining, G-force, etc. BUT, I think a lot of those people don't pay attention to the instructions. When they say DON'T look side to side, they MEAN it. Did this once, TOTALLY regreteded it. Pay attention to the instructions. If you do...

The added G forces & tilt & spin are really worth it. It really enhances the experience.

Hey, I rode this 4 times in a row & didn't have an issue!:mickey:

debandbub
10-22-2009, 07:03 AM
OK, I am very prone to motion sickness, have had a terrible bout with vertigo that left me on the couch for over a week a few years ago, AND have Menier's Syndrome which can affect balance. I am also a thrill ride junkie. (I know, good combination, huh?) Last year, I took a dramamine, had the sea-sickness patch on and Sea-Bands...I did the ORANGE, and I was fine! Not to say that it wasn't intense, and I am sure my "regimen" isn't for everyone, just wanted to give you some ideas...Good Luck!

Giggy
10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
When I went on Mission Space there was only the Orange version, none of us had any problems. That said at the time none of us ever had problems with motion sickness. My sister has since had occasional problems with travel sickness but that has been since our last visit. She hasn't mentioned it but it could be that when we go next year she wants to go Green, I guess we'll decide what we do when we get there.

For what it's worth (though I have no stats to back this up with) I'd imagine it is a minority who do encounter problems. The responses on this thread could well be out of proportion as people who felt ill after the ride are more likely to gravitate towards this discussion than those who didn't. If you or someone in your party has a history of bad motion sickness then the Green version may be a safer bet. If you have no history of motion sickness then I'd say Orange is worth the risk. Follow the instructions given right down to the letter though, as said some people feeling ill could be put down to not facing forwards. If you are worried about the effects then the reccomendation of riding last thing at night may be good, then if you feel ill you can go sleep it off.

Joannelet
10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I suggest doing the one that doesn't spin.
You won't get that sick feeling afterwards.
The thing for me was I got so nervous from all the warning that they bombard you with BEFORE even getting on the ride that I was green before I even went on it. (they didn't have the one that didn't spin yet).
I was such a nervous wreck because of the warning signs beforehand that I think it just made the experience that much more worst for me.
I did feel naseous :sick: but then got a soda and it settled my stomach. I had to rest for a while after that though. If I ever do it again I will go on the one that doesn't spin....I guess its the green one that everyone is mentioning and I will also ignore the warnings in the beginning since I've already been on it and know what to expect during and afterwards. (I won't be sick before I even get on the ride).
I think that is your safest bet...to do the green one and if you like that then go on the spinning one. :)
Enjoy!

BigThunderFan
10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
You HAVE to at least try the green version. The ride is too amazing to miss and you won't get sick that way.

That being said, my DW gets motion sickness in the backseat of a car or on a boat or ANY spinning ride. She rode the orange and LOVED it. Just keep your head back and look straight ahead! :thumbsup:

Joannelet
10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
yes and DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES!!! Whenever you get motion sickness never close your eyes (it makes it worst) focus on a still object straight ahead and keep your eyes on the object.

johnO
10-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Mission Space...should I do it?

Yes

kemps@wdw
10-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Unfortunately, I, too, find the orange version of MS to be...well...:sick: I really like this attraction, but didn't want to feel :ack: the rest of the day, as I did when I rode MS Orange the 1st time. So, MS Green was a GREAT idea for folks like me.:thumbsup:

Belster
10-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Wow!!! I leave on Saturday and I am still torn! I ride coasters, and RNRC, TOT, all of the rides at Universal...why is this one sooooooo hard for me.

I will report what I decided when I get back on 11/2.

Thanks a bunch for all of your help!

texasteacher
10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
I loved the orange Mission Space but the "pressurized' feeling made me feel too strange - not nauseated - more like a truck ran over my chest! It worried me, so I have not been on it since, but plan to ride the green next trip since it is a great ride.

SBETigg
10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't really compare it to anything. I had your reservations with it, but my son convinced me to give it a shot. I was so glad he did! I would hate to have missed it. It's really incredible. I get sick on spin rides, but not at all on M:S. I felt great afterwards. Orange side for me. I don't see the point of doing it if you're not going to let yourself have the full experience. And then you'll know if it was worth it for you or not. You just don't know until you try. Think of your favorite WDW rides and what you would be missing if you had let fear hold you back.