PDA

View Full Version : Media is freaking DH out about Swine Flu

Tinkerfreak
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
We have a trip planned for Nov. 20th and my DH is really worried that we are all going to catch swine flu while we are either at the airport, on the plane or at Disney. I finally had him feeling a bit less worried about it and then the media has been bombarding us with warnings and totally freaking him out again. If he had his way we would cancel the trip. He was watching the news and they went on and on about how easy it is to catch and how deadly it is and how many kids have died. I am nervous about it also but I guess I figure they are just as much at risk here at home in school with a bunch of kids.
I have spoken to my kids doctor and they said they will give then the vaccine as soon as they get some but that they are getting no feedback from the government about when they might get it.

DVC2004
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I know. However most people who have died had other health issues. You can drive yourself crazy with the way they report things. Here they are reporting every single case on the local news in this town or that. Don't cancel your trip.

prprincess
10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
I know how your DH feels. We leave in 12 days and the thoughts have crossed my mined, but we're continuing with our plans anyway. DH and my DSs all got their regular flu shots, so I'm hoping they will be okay. Our doctor also told us to call him if anything came up, but hopefully we won't have to. We'll just have to be super vigilant with the hand cleaning and everything else. So try not to worry and enjoy your trip!

seanyred
10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Remember you can get this virus anywhere. I understand the anxiousness though...our trip is in 25 days my DS is 2.5 years and my DW is pregnant. I'm a health care worker so i've already gotten the H1N1 vaccine but my family is still waiting for it to be released soon. I know my local health department is starting up clinics for the general public.

But don't let your DH cancel the trip...just because you are on plan doesn't mean you are going to get. Just bring antibacterial wipes.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-20-2009, 03:10 PM
I know how your DH feels. We went to Disney mid-May, just as the whole H1N1 flu was being identified.

I was totally freaked about going, but then realized that you can get sick anywhere, and we were careful to practice good hygiene (washing hands, cleaning surfaces in the room and purell) and the trip was awesome.

Most people who get H1N1 will have a mild illness, just like a seasonal flu, and you wouldn't cancel a Disney trip due to the seasonal flu.

There is a need to be careful, but I would feel comfortable going to Disney right now.

BrerGnat
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
It's hard not to get freaked out. Especially when you have children.

The thing with the deaths in YOUNG PEOPLE is that they are kids who mostly DID NOT have other health conditions. H1N1 has a tendency in about 1% of those who get it to cause life threatening pneumonia, but I believe this statistic is similar to seasonal flu. These are the reports you hear about ...what you are not hearing as often is that more than 99% of people who get H1N1 are sick for a couple days, but make a complete recovery. Keep telling your DH that.

Your chances of maybe catching H1N1 are a bit greater sincd you will be travelling through airports where THOUSANDS of people pass through every day, on a plane, which is germs galore, and then at WDW surrounded by so many people. I'd side with your DH on that issue, since there are only so many kids at the schools, and the schools are generally being very vigilant about not allowing sick kids there, whereas I don't think airlines are at the same point (yet).

If I were you, I'd bring a canister of Clorox Wipes with me, and wipe down the area of the plane you will be on, BEFORE your kids sit down (arms and tray tables, and the plastic surrounding the window). I'd repeat this procedure upon checking into your room at WDW. Wipe down the phone, remote control, table tops, and bathroom. At least you'll know you got any flu germs that are on surfaces in the room. After that, good hand washing and copious use of alcohol based hand wipes and sanitizer should do it. :thumbsup:

sillydisneymommy
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Okay, my 5 year old (who is an obsessive hand washer)tested positive for the flu, and our doctor said it has to be swine flu, because they are not seeing any seasonal flu yet. A week later our 3 year old (who is more of a wal-mart cart licker type :blush:) and one of our 7 month old twin DDs tested negative for the flu, but our doctor said that she believes they also have the H1N1 flu, because the test is only 50% accurate and they had the same symptoms as our 5 year old. All 3 of them have been EXACTLY the same, and that is ONLY a high fever and being tired. That is, NO body aches, NO chills, NO vomiting, NO cough,etc.
Our niece and nephew (14 and 12) tested positive for swine flu and had the same experience as well. Also, this flu has more like a 2 to 3 day time frame, rather than 5 to 7! It is NEVER pleasant when your children are ill, especially with a high fever, but this has really been much milder than any seasonal flu I have ever had or seen. My DH had seasonal flu a couple of years ago and looked like he was at death's door:ill:. This flu just had our kids in bed watching cartoons and sleeping for a day or two. I do understand that this flu can be very serious for those with other health issues, like respiratory illnesses, which is why we did not run out and get all the Tamiflu we were prescribed. We know it is in short supply here and that there are those who need it. That being said, if you are in good health, I wouldn't be a bit worried. Only one of our children is even in school, and the other 3 are home, so you can get it no matter where you are. Have a great and worry-free time at WDW!:thumbsup:

dnickels
10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I know we're not allowed to post outside links here, so just do a google search for something along the lines of... fatality rate of swine flu compared to seasonal flu... and you'll see that the initial estimates were wrong and the death rate of swine flu is comparable to our normal seasonal flu.

Current information puts it at a category 1 pandemic which is comparable to seasonal flu (seasonal flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%) For comparison, the 1918 flu pandemic (a category 5) had an estimated mortality rate of 2%. Think about that, even the 1918 flu only killed 1 in 50 people who caught it!

Just remember the media is more interested in clicks/viewers/subscriptions than anything else and don't let it ruin your vacation. :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
My co-worker's adult daughter has had it for a week now.

The other night we found out DH's friend's daughter (teen) has it. DH is in a band that practices at this friend's house. They didn't have practice last week because their guitar player has been ill with complications from COPD, otherwise DH would have been exposed to it. Their daughter has had a 103 temp.

Our school district sent out an email today telling us that a local clinic has the vaccine. I plan on going over there tomorrow morning for more info. I do not want this flu in my house if I can help it.

MNNHFLTX
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
From what I've read, the prevalence of the H1N1 flu is widespread, but the mortality rate from it is less than 1%. So in theory, while it's understandable to be concerned about catching the flu, the odds of it (and of having complications from it) are no worse than the seasonal flu. To put it in perspective (for me, anyway), the number of deaths in the entired state of Texas from H1N1 right now is 13--and 13 people were killed in car accidents in one day in the Houston area alone. So to me it's far less dangerous to be exposed to H1N1 than it is to get in a car and drive on the roads around Houston.

Sorry, it's not so cheery a thought, but as I said it helps put the situation in perspective.

DonLefNY
10-21-2009, 05:22 PM
It just went through a friend of mines family. There is the fever, headache and feeling tired. Only one of them got tested and it came back possitive. He said 4 - 5 days and it's gone. He said his doctor said the media is freaking people out. My friend said the good part now is they don't have to hunt down the shots anymore.

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. My parents were freaking out back in May right before I left for Japan because of all this swine flu nonsense. Even after I got there, and there actually WAS an outbreak, I was fine.

The media is just blowing this all out of proportion. 30,000+ people every year die from the regular flu, but you never hear about that. If you've got a healthy immune system and are taking steps to avoid catching the flu, you'll be absolutely fine. And even if you catch it, just get some bedrest, it's not the end of the world.

Tinkermom
10-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Our DD 8 had H1N1 this week. She ran 102 fever for 2 days and had a bit of diarrhea and a cough. By day 4 she was fever free and is doing great!

Now, DH and I went to WDW last week for our 20th anniversary and our kids stayed home with grandparents. So far DH and I are fine as are our other 2 children (boys who are 12 and 14). I tell you this as I too was so afraid of catching something on the plane, at the airport or at WDW. I had DH and I using hand sanitizer like crazy. Here my DD stays home and she is the one who gets sick! School has even been having the kids wipe down desks with Clorox wipes halfway through the day and having kids wash their hands frequently. It just goes to show that there really is no rhyme or reason with this virus. :(

Just do the best you can and wash hands frequently, use hand sanitizer in between and relax and enjoy your vacation!! Hopefully you can get the vaccine before you go.