PDA

View Full Version : WL or BC: which room would you pick?

wdw_bound
10-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Just got a pin (first time ever - woohoo!!!).

It opens up a couple of possibilities that we hadn't thought of before. Going on the trip would be DH and I, DD11 and DS5, probably in late May/early June. Given the timing of our trip, I can see us spending more time at the hotel / in the pool.

We love WL. The calm atmosphere, the proximity to MK, the balcony, WCC, the pool, the EWP; everything about WL suits our family perfectly.

I think we would enjoy Beach Club. Storm-Along Bay looks like a ton of fun for our whole family. DD and I traditionally end our WDW trip by enjoying a girls night out at Epcot EMH before we all drive home on Saturday. I would think that being able to walk home (or take a boat) would be a neat experience.

Here are the options we are considering:

BC - either a standard room adding DDP, or upgrade to club level, take advantage of the lounge offerings and pay OOP for a few TS, otherwise supplementing with QS (with Epcot so close, we'd enjoy sampling the WS offerings for QS). We've done DDP for the last several trips and believe it to be good value for our family, but I have to admit, the idea of just a few ADRs has appeal...

BCV - not thrilled with the Studio because of the seemingly tighter quarters. Would probably upgrade to a 1BR, but that would make this option with no food as much as the club level regular room or reg. room with DDP. We would definitely take advantage of the kitchen in the 1BR and try not to eat out every day.

WL - ctyd with bunk beds, plus DDP. As I said, we love everything about WL. The very first time we walked in the lobby, DH and I looked at one another and said "this is our ideal home at WDW."

WL - upgrade to Club level. Again, would graze off lounge offerings and supplement with a few TS and mostly QS meals, but would have to be more orchestrated as, while Roaring Forks is fine, it would only be a back up. I wouldn't want this to be a week of only burgers and nuggets.

Anyone have any thoughts? Can anyone who has done club level share their thoughts on whether my grazing plan is realistic when supplemented with QS and some TS?

Thanks!
:mickey:

BrerGnat
10-17-2009, 01:48 PM
You can definitely make out well by staying club level and supplementing, especially with more than 2 in a room. We do this at Disneyland when we stay in the hotels with our kids. However, you do have to be at the hotel during food service hours. When we stay club level, we tend to spend more time AT the hotel than the parks. We like having the lounge to hang out in. That said, BC lounge is not always open, only during food service hours. WL lounge area is always accessible.

BrerGnat
10-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Forgot to add: my room choices for your situation would be either WL Club Level or BC Club level. If you choose WL you can request bunk beds on club level. BUT BC has larger rooms, so there is that to consider. I am not a fan of the DDP. It's too restrictive. I like your idea to have a couple TS meals and them supplement with CS when needed. It's much more flexible. We find that, often, the food in the lounge is plenty!

TammiMcMan
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
BC - either a standard room adding DDP, or upgrade to club level, take advantage of the lounge offerings and pay OOP for a few TS, otherwise supplementing with QS (with Epcot so close, we'd enjoy sampling the WS offerings for QS). We've done DDP for the last several trips and believe it to be good value for our family, but I have to admit, the idea of just a few ADRs has appeal...Club level at Disney is more like supplementing CS and TS, not the other way around. Their breakfast choices are okay if you're fine with cold cereal, yogurt, fruit and a bagel every morning. Other than that, you'll find some bowls of snack items (chips, popcorn, goldfish, M&M's) and in the evenings, you have some choices of cheese & crackers, vegetables & dip, and then a soup and one other type of appetizer.

The food is only out during very specific times, but if you are planning on spending a lot of time at the resort, it's probably not an issue. You can get cold drinks throughout the day (even when the lounge is closed for clean up, just ask a CM for assistance). You can also get wine and beer in the evenings and cordials until the lounge closes at 10pm.

You would definitely still need at least one good meal scheduled each day and possibly a CS combined with club level would do you alright.

BrerGnat
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
You would definitely still need at least one good meal scheduled each day and possibly a CS combined with club level would do you alright.

I agree with this, sort of.

To be quite upfront, it really depends on how much you need to eat every day.

My family recently stayed 3 nights/4 days at the Grand Californian hotel at DLR. I can tell you that, on 2 days, DH and DS (5) ate ENTIRELY from the Club Level. No other food was purchased for THEM. I would go get our other DS a kid's meal and I'd get a salad or something from the CS place. The thing is, though, they had PB&J uncrustables at our club level (which DS5 ate one day for lunch, and then one night for dinner, combined with fresh fruits, veggies, and dessert!), and they were open all the time, and had 5 food service "events" during the day, so there was ALWAYS food (good stuff too!) available.

In 3 nights, we had ONE TS meal (just me and DS5) and about 3 total CS meals, for the 4 of us. We spent less than $100 on food over the course of 3 nights/4 days. Sounds crazy, but it's true! We are not "hot breakfast" people, and found the breakfast food to be MORE than enough for us.

DH found that being able to "snack" during the day never made him feel quite hungry enough for a "real meal". He said it reminded him of being on a cruise.

BUT, I have to say that the spread at GCH is really, really elaborate. I'm not sure how it would compare to either BC or WL (we stayed WL club level, but it was back in 2001).

Jillirose
10-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Would do BC if it's an option. The pool and transportation are the best. We also like WL and are going there in Feb, mainly because BC is too much :twocents:I And, for the ages of your kids, I would try it!

TammiMcMan
10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
BUT, I have to say that the spread at GCH is really, really elaborate. I'm not sure how it would compare to either BC or WL (we stayed WL club level, but it was back in 2001).The GCH compares more closely to the GF at WDW. They also have more substantial and more varied selections (and the additional tea service between "lunch" and "dinner").

I believe when you stayed on the WL club level, the lounge hadn't been built yet. It's a few years old now and that's where they keep the food, but the seating is still available around the balcony. The BC has a very small lounge, with limited seating and like the WL, the doors are only open when the food is available. They shut down in between for cleaning and set up of the next offering.

It's probably my biggest pet peeve with them not having an open design. I love sitting in the lounge and it's kind of a bummer that you have to look at your watch before deciding to go up from the pool to get a drink or just sit and relax. Definitely just my opinion though and may not be shared by others ;) .