PDA

View Full Version : Change counting lid for a canning jar

alphamommy
10-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Through a series of unfortunate events, DH broke DD9's piggy bank a couple weeks ago. It didn't have a plug to open it, you had to use a knife to make the coins come out the slot in the top.

Anyway, I'm on a quest to replace it with something a little more practical, and I remember seeing a lid that could be screwed on an ordinary canning jar to turn it into a coin bank. As I recall, it also counted the change as you put it in. However, I haven't seen this in several years, and can't figure out what to search for online to find one. I've found jars that have the lid, but I was sure I'd seen just a lid where you could use your own jar. I checked the Lillian Vernon and Walter Drake websites, but they didn't have anything like what I'm thinking of.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, and, even better, know where I can get one?

Thanks!

diz_girl
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
You don't need anything fancy for it, just cut out a circle of fabric, finish the edges, and then put a buttonhole in the middle. You then just take out the flat lid of the canning jar, replace it with the fabric and put the screw-on band part of the lid where it usually goes. Instant piggy bank.