PDA

View Full Version : Help me name that hotel

Black Jack Shallack from Frontenac
10-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

On my last visit to the park, while driving around at night, we saw this gorgeous grand hotel all lit up in white, with a wonderfull glass front area.

I was not on Disney property however.

We are thinking of staying in a nicer hotel this year, but can't see the point of paying extra to be on property, as we do have our car.

Thank you,

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Could it have been Gaylord Palms??? Its very grand, white and has a huge area of glass. We've visited to see the ICE exhibit around the holidays and its truly a wonderful resort. We've also stayed at the Gaylord Texan near Dallas and had a wonderful stay. Great atmosphere, great service, just overall a great place to stay. I am not sure of the price range at Gaylord Palms, but I think we paid around $250 a night for Thanksgiving weekend at Gaylord Texan. Not what I'd consider cheap, but definitely not as expensive as a WDW deluxe resort.

Maxwell
10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like the Gaylord Palms. Do you know how close it was to the WDW property of how far / what direction it was from WDW?

10-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, I think that was the one.

250 would still be cheaper then the 307 quoted by Disney for a suite that can accomodate 2 adults and 3 child in a moderate resort. I just can't se myself paying that much for a motel type room, even if we can take a bus to the park.

Actually, the website of Gaylord Palm quotes 129 a night for 4 guests, but refuses 5 guests.

I will call them tommorow to see if an extra cot can be arranged.

Thank you,

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
250 would still be cheaper then the 307 quoted by Disney for a suite that can accomodate 2 adults and 3 child in a moderate resort. I just can't se myself paying that much for a motel type room, even if we can take a bus to the park.

I'm sure you've already been down this path, but 2 adults and 3 kids (as long as one is under 9 and can fit into the trundle bed) can stay at POR in a regular room. I'm not sure the cost at different times of the year, but it is much less than $307 or $205

I'm a huge fan of staying on-site, especially with all of the deals floating around, it helps with the cost.

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Actually, the website of Gaylord Palm quotes 129 a night for 4 guests, but refuses 5 guests.

That's a great rate for such an amazing resort. When we paid $250 a night it was at the Gaylord Texan and it was a holiday weekend, which surely contributed to the higher rate. I think $129 a night is a steal. I hope they can accomodate your family of 5. Good luck.

disneymomw_3boys
10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't think its about the transportation when staying at a Disney resort, there is so much more of a feel that you are in the Magic.

With all the deals going around you may want to break it down, I bet you could get a moderate for about the same or not much more and include some park tickets and meals... HUGE SAVINGS... I would encourage you to get a quote and break it down.

10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Are you saying park tickets are cheaper when you stay on site?

disneymomw_3boys
10-18-2009, 12:42 AM
There are some packages that Disney offers from time to time that include daily meals for free if you buy at least the minimum of one day of park tickets during your stay, the longer you stay at a Disney property the cheaper the park tickets become also. Just a FYI

buzznwoodysmom
10-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I think what the OP is trying to say that for that price they'd rather not stay in a "motel" type "resort". All values and mods are very much motel style. They could stay at a truly amazing resort right off property for the same price or cheaper than a motel room themed in WDW. I am all for staying on site, we always do, but I also understand that for some people what kind of room you get for your money is a huge factor for them. We've taken advantage of some of the recent offers and after crunching numbers we really didn't save all that much. Like many people have stated free dining is hardly free when you are paying rack rates for the room. We've just never found any of the general public discounts to be all that great. I've gotten some great pin code, but not everyone gets those.

10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Well, after talking with reservations at Gaylord Palms, it turns out that after adding all the mandatory fees, taxes, and 12 buck self-parking, the 129,00 $ turns into 211,00 $ a night.

We are now looking into Buena Vista Suites.

Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents,

Tinkerfreak
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Well, after talking with reservations at Gaylord Palms, it turns out that after adding all the mandatory fees, taxes, and 12 buck self-parking, the 129,00 $ turns into 211,00 $ a night.

We are now looking into Buena Vista Suites.

Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents,

Don't forget to add in your cost for parking every day.

PetefromRI
10-20-2009, 05:41 AM
Check out the Marriott Grande Vista.You could get a 2 bedroom villa for less than a Disney moderate.