PDA

View Full Version : This might sound weird...

disneykid@hrt
10-16-2009, 06:50 PM
But has anyone ever taken their own microwave to a Disney hotel? Is that cheating?

JohnnyNovo
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Yep. Sounds wierd :thumbsup:

DVC2004
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
No I wouldn't do that myself. It seems like it would be a hassle to travel with, even if we were driving it would take up too much space. Truthfully, I don't think we've ever even used a microwave at Disney.

Just curious- why would you consider this?

faline
10-16-2009, 07:29 PM
It seems like too much of a hassle to me. Also, it might violate fire laws.

Pirate Granny
10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
When we went at Xmas we were toying with the idea of purchasing one and having it sent to the hotel...cheap one...and then leave it there...since it takes no more watts than other small appliance, I don't believe it would be a fire hazard...we were at FQ and decided we could use the ones in the food court as all the bldgs are fairly close.
:pirate:

gerald72
10-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.
An easy way for a quick bite to eat to spend more time at the parks.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-16-2009, 09:52 PM
You may want to check with the hotel as this could be against the fire regs. Sometimes microwaves have to have special outlets when in a commercial type building.

nicster
10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
We took our old toaster & made bagels for our breakfast... a microwave is just one step farther...

disneykid@hrt
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
I just thought it would be an easy way to make a hot breakfast and- yeah, get to the parks faster. I can make eggs and some other things. Maybe popcorn for a quick snack. We're driving down and we'd have enough room. Is that like kosher?? :secret:

JerseyDad
10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
....a moderate sized microwave oven will draw about 12 to13 amps....and depending what else is on the circuit...may trip the breaker. Then of course...someone would have to explain what was it that tripped the breaker.

...we drive to WDW also (from Jersey)...have plenty of room in my wife's mini-van for a microwave....but there's no way I'm lugging one 1150 miles!! That's why some divine superior being.....created Pop Tarts and Granola!! :tasty:

TammiMcMan
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Is that like kosher?? :secret:There are some issues and the hotels typically like you borrowing their appliances instead of using your own. That way, they can ensure that the plugs are in good condition and not a fire hazard. All the resorts have a public microwave and some have rooms that come with them or you can ask upon arrival.

For the most accurate answer though, I'd suggest you get in touch with guest services at [email protected]. They'll know the current official policy.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-16-2009, 11:56 PM
A few years ago I bought a hotpot for about $8. I take it with me when we drive to DL. You can cook anything that is made with water, like mac and cheese, rice a roni, heat water for instant oatmeal or hot chocolate. I don't like to use the hotel coffee pots for making hot water. Any way over the years DD and I got rather creative with it and its much easier to lug around then a microwave. :mickey:

goofygirl67
10-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I once brought my toaster that also cooked eggs, hard, soft or poached. It became a pain to have around and I got lazy on my vacation so I haven't brought it back since.

CaptainSmash
10-17-2009, 02:26 PM
No I brought my own vacuum to collect Pixie Dust for home!;)

Seasonscraps
10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
There are some issues and the hotels typically like you borrowing their appliances instead of using your own. That way, they can ensure that the plugs are in good condition and not a fire hazard. All the resorts have a public microwave and some have rooms that come with them or you can ask upon arrival.

For the most accurate answer though, I'd suggest you get in touch with guest services at [email protected]. They'll know the current official policy.

I called and asked once (I was really really bored one night :blush:) and was told guests are not allowed to bring their own appliances to use in the rooms.

TammiMcMan
10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you call guest services? I know that calling a resort number and even reservations can often result in many different answers ;) . Guest services seems to always know the official policy, which I believe is still as you posted, no outside appliances.

Seasonscraps
10-17-2009, 06:47 PM
I called the resort.

sbwillie
10-18-2009, 11:37 PM
We have taken a microwave to CBR probably the last 5 times we've visited. We have room in the car. It saves a lot of money as we will heat up food that we brought (we do eat out, including at the parks, about half the time). We also bring a small "refrigerator" (travel kind) to supplement the one in the room. Mostly for water, milk and food we brought to reheat.

There as never been a problem with bringing them. Housekeeping sees them in our room every day and others see us wheel them in.

It saves us quite a bit of money, time and we get a break from eating out type :cool:food.

Cereal in the morning is a great way to start!

Renfairwedding
10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I have a travel fridge for meds that holds plenty of drinks A microwave for my popcorn fix and a coffee maker for my Wife. :D

My traveling chuck waggon all fits in the van.

I will say when we are located close to the resort food courts everything but the fridge stays packed

Jen C.
10-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I've got to wonder...How much money is really saved by going to the trouble of these "meals on the go" preps. If you've got your own car, couldn't you just zip through drive-throughs, or budget restaurants, and break about even?

BluewaterBrad
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me. The only reason I dont do it is because the food courts have them. We like taking things home from the parks and heating them up for a late nite snack (sandwiches from france, curry from ABC Commish, ands ribs from Flame Tree to mention a few.:mickey:

ILoveLegos
10-19-2009, 06:03 PM
My sister is Upper Management Level for the Eastern USA District of Marriott international. Guests are not suppose to bring/use home appliances in their rooms for the aforementioned electrical load and fire dangers, but also because of the odor issues that cooking in rooms create. A very nice way of putting this is when you enter your hotel room for the first time does the scent of microwave popcorn hit your nose or someone's stinky feet? :sick:

Food odors "maturing" in the drapes, carpet, and other soft surfaces are not up to Marriott standards and the next guest staying in the room doesn't appreciate it either. Hence they address those types of issues with extra "room cleaning" fees when violaters are gross. ;)

Whether or not the same type of reasoning should apply to WDW resorts, I don't know - but it does make sense to me.

Renfairwedding
10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I have stayed in many places with a mirowave and coffee maker in room. I never remember any oders in those places.

TammiMcMan
10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Rooms that come with small appliances already, typically have a ventilation system to take care of odors and also firewalls.

In regards to no one being stopped by housekeeping, that really doesn't surprise me. They aren't Disney management.

Again, I will recommend that before anyone brings a cooking device from home, please e-mail the guest services address that I supplied earlier in this thread.

Until we get a definitive answer from Disney executives, I'm going to close this thread to further discussion. If the policy is against personal cooking appliances, then the discussion we have going on here is in violation of this forums terms of service.