PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate "must-do" list

thesplashmountaineer
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I’m going to WDW in December. It will be my 14th trip there.

Do you have any suggestions of things to do if you are a regular visitor?
Things you would not suggest for a first time visitor but a « must-do » list for disney fanatics. Not rides or shows… just a little « extra-magic »….
For example, I never been on the boat ride between Epcot and DHS and i’m planning to do it in december. Also, I want to make sure to eat a turkey leg for the first time…
Any other suggestions???:

darthmacho
10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't qualify as a frequent visitor, but I do have a few things that I like to do that make a trip complete. I don't know if you are a wine drinker, but I can't picture a WDW trip without visiting France in Epcot and having a glass of wine with a pastry from the pastry shop. My preference is something chocolaty, cheesy, or both, paired with red wine, but the possibilities are infinite. :wine:

Now that's "magic" to me! :mickey:

Maxwell
10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Depending on where you are staying, take one of the boats from a resort to the MK for the morning EMH. EARLY morning at WDW before most people are awake or active is a very special time.

Also - several of the resorts have special quiet areas of non-hyped areas that can be very enjoyable. Look for one of those that appeals to you.

I hear that the boat cruises for fireworks are very special as well.

For us, a simple pleasure is a late night visit to Epcot...entering through the International Gateway entrance...and getting pastries and coffee in France.

nicster
10-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Try out the Back Stage Magic Tour, it was outstanding. See our trip report http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=162522

brad192
10-16-2009, 11:12 PM
One of my favorite things to do, and it doesn't cost a dime, is just standing on a corner of Town Square in MK when everyone is coming into the park in the morning & watching the reactions of people as they come around the corner, look down the street, and see Cinderella Castle. You can always pick out the first-timers, as they always have a very emotional response. I've seen tears, screaming, hugging, a LOT of jumping up & down, and believe it or not, even one little old lady in a wheelchair who stood up and clapped. Made ME tear up...

Trust me, it's worth 10 or 15 minutes of your day to watch this. I always think that Walt would do this if he were still around. :mickey:

Greenlawler
10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
We have a few of these...

of course riding the monorail at least once even if we do not need to.

relaxing at night behind the Rose and Crown and sitting on the water front just reflecting on the day.

Taking a little time to check out one of the resorts you have never seen. This last trip we checked out the Polynesian.

If your staying at Pop I love waiting till the rest of the family is in bed and walking along the back paths where they have fun facts posted about every year from 1950-1999. There is also a cool little pier that many people miss....very romantic if your with your spouse. Sometimes when I go a will see a lone fisherman actually fishing there.

We make a habit of checking the maps for things we have never done. I have been many times but there are still things I have not experianced.

The Kim Possible tour if you have kids is very cool, believe me. I was a doubter. Make sure you have half a day to do it all.

We always have to get a cinnamon roll at the bakery on main street.

and of course The obligatory Dole Pinneapple whip

phillydan
10-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Since our girls are older now (13 & 12), we let them go on their own for a while during our trip in August and took our son (7) over to Tom Sawyer Island. We never really had a desire to do this, as it seemed like a time hog. I was very surprised at how enjoyable it was. Even though you are walking around, it is pretty relaxing and a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the park.

We also did the MK opening ceremony for the first time. We never caught this due to early Breakfast ADR's or the inability to get 5 people up and moving.

Here is a favorite of mine - at the end of the day, after Wishes and when the park is emptying out, walk through Cinderella Castle and really look at the mozaics on the walls. The attention to detail is outstanding. It's kind of hard to stop and look at them during the day with the amount of traffic througn there. Plus, at night, the lighting makes them more special.

disneymom2000
10-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I finally went in December to experience the Christmas decorations and productions for this season. One of the things I failed to do is - in each country in World Showcase they have an explanation of their Christmas traditions/history on a plaque. I didn't realize this until I was almost through the whole showcase and I was able to take a picture of the information in the last four that I went through. Also, if I could catch each holiday figure and their production of what Christmas is about in their particular country would be awesome. I am definitely going back next year at Christmas just to do this very thing.:santa:

kemps@wdw
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
One thing we do on each visit, is to pick one afternoon/evening and simply stroll aroung WS lagoon and eat :eat: and drink :beer: our way "around the World". We start @ Canada and work our way around to Mexico. We always stop and watch "Off Kilter" :pipes:, and "The British Invasion" :rocker: @ UK. We explore, and try to sample something from each country. At the end of our "international tour", we scope out a prime spot for Illuminations :fworks:. Then, make our way back to our resort for a relaxing evening on our balcony, or maybe a late swim! :swim:

AdventurerKim
10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Try a tour--Backstage Magic is really good or a Segway tour. Do something different other than go ride the rides. Get a cappuccino float from Sleepy Hollow (they are awesome!). Get the Hidden Mickeys book and go search for hidden mickeys. I plan to do that in Nov. if I can squeeze it in.

Captain_Nemo
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
1.must try BEVERLY in Club Cool in Epcot

2.Galactic Gobler from The Lunching Pad in Tomorrow Land

3.Dole Whip in Adventure Land

4.Hot dog w/onions from Casey's Corner before watching wishes

5.Ride PotC alone right before park close when no one is on. makes it scary, I keep thinking George is going to pop out behind something.

Bellewannabe
10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
My favorite thing to do on a more relaxed visit is to find a vantage point at beach club and look across the water at Boardwalk. This view is particularly good at night with the lights. There is a little place to sit by the kiddie pool at Stormalong. It tends to be very peaceful to watch the boats and people.

thesplashmountaineer
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
what is a Galactic Gobler???

Pally
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Turkey Leg:mickey:

WVParkfan
10-22-2009, 10:48 AM
- If you've never taken the time to truly explore Innoventions at Epcot, there's a lot there to do.

- Have you seen all of the films in World Showcase? O' Canada, Impressions de' France, the movie in China, and the one in Norway are all good, and something we missed on previous trips.

- Have you totally explored the secret trails around the Tree of Life at the Ak? Or, the Oasis area?

- Try a "Safari Amber" beer at the Dawa Bar in Harambe, Africa (at the AK).

- On certain days, you can go to Rafiki's Planet Watch at the AK and see the vets performing surgery on the animals.

- Resort hopping is fun. We loved the AK lodge, and had a wonderful meal there.

- The "Tune-in" Lounge in DHS is right beside the 50's Prime Time cafe. It's a fun little place where you can get a drink, and order a plate of 'Smores. Lots of fun on a hot Florida day.

- At the Expo Hall on Main Street in the MK, they have a small theater that is always showing classic Disney cartoons. It's a great place to cool off in the summer, and it is never crowded since most people don't know about it.

Iluvpooh
10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Camp fire and movie at FW,watch the Electric Water Parade from the ferry or resort beach.
Resort hopping. All of these things are free and just a little something extra for a traveler who wants to do something different.