PDA

View Full Version : How Many of You Have Gotten Sick at Disney?

mjaclyn
10-15-2009, 05:25 PM
DH and I just returned from our vacation at WDW after having caught a very nasty flu while we were there. DH and DS are finally better (DH still coughing tho), while DD and I are still on the mend. How many of you have gotten sick while at Disney? This isn't our first time either - DH got pretty sick while at Disney on our honeymoon 8 years ago. I also remember at least four other family members getting sick while there - stomach flu, colds, regular flu, etc... The doctor that DH saw last week said that most of the patients he goes to see are at WDW and 95% of them have flu-like symptoms.

Do you think there is anything that Disney can do to help prevent people from getting sick while on vacation? I realize that WDW is essentially swimming in germs, but besides having guests wash their hands, is there anything else that could be done?

I was thinking they could have hand sanitizer out at the end of each ride, or 'wet ones' wipes at the beginning of the ride so you could wipe the bar that you hold onto. I've seen grocery stores do this same thing so that you can wipe the handle of the grocery cart. Does Disney ever totally clean everything? Obviously, no one can completely prevent the spread of germs but I think that could help... especially since you can't possibly run to the bathroom after every ride to wash your hands.

buzznwoodysmom
10-15-2009, 05:52 PM
About 3 years ago all 4 of us got the flu while in WDW. I was the first to get it, about 5 or 6 days into a 9 night trip. Thankfully my youngest didn't start having symptoms till the drive home, and my other son a day or two later. My mom followed right after. This was the first time any of us had ever had the flu, and only my youngest has gotten the flu since. It was awful to be in WDW feeling so sick, and my kids weren't sick yet so there was no slowing them down. My DH didn't come with us on that trip so I would have felt bad asking my mom to tend to the kids so I had to do everything for the two of them, go to the parks every day and I felt horrible. I don't ever wish getting sick in WDW on anyone.

Not that I think this is how we got sick, but we had the worst housekeeping on that particular trip. To the point of one of my kids picking up a completely filthy glass and bringing it to me to get him some water. Our room never got cleaned, other than the cleaning we did, and I often wonder if the room was cleaned at all inbetween the previous guests and us. We had been getting back so late and leaving so early that I had not notified anyone for the first few days of our trip. But after seeing that glass I called to speak to a manager, but honestly not much gets done even then. I sure wish disney found some way to try and combat some of the germs. We are a handwashing family. I make my kids wash their hands very, very often and I always carry around purel when in WDW, as well as wipe down tables before we eat and so on. But I guess if not all guests are doing this the germs will contine to thrive in that environment.

harlowandthemermaid
10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I've often wondered what they could do to help keep the spread of germs down. I agree that hand sanitizer etc would be helpful but I guess it would take away from the "magic"? Although I wouldn't be suprised to see sanitizer stations with big mickey's on them popping up all over the place, cleverly themed in somehow. Almost everyone I know, has picked up a cold/bug of some sort(or someone in their family has) while at Disney.

Basket Mommy
10-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't think it's Disney's responsibility. Pack some hand sanitizer in your backpack and help keep your family healthy. It's just impossible to expect them to try to keep germs down, and if they did try, it would just be another cost they'd have to pass down to the consumer. I'd rather just stock up on Lysol wipes and Purell and take care of my own cleanliness.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
So far, no one has gotten sick from our family at Disney, but we are very "germ aware" and careful while on vacation.

We do take Lysol wipes and spray, and clean things in the room like the door handle and the remote control. We also take hand sanitizer with us, and use it following the rides, and try to actually wash our hands before we eat.

All of that being said, there is no doubt that Disney is just crawling with germs, with that many people it has to be, but some of people getting sick also has to do with the excitment of a Disney trip, travelling on an airplane, changes in schedule, changes in climate, lack of sleep, etc.

BrerGnat
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I got violently ill with a stomach bug in April. I was the only one of the three of us that got sick.

I have to believe I likely picked up the germs at the airport or on the plane (as we all flew in from different airports), since I got sick less than 36 hours after arriving.

What I DO know is, if you are sick at WDW, and you let the housekeeper know it, they go all out with some heavy duty cleaners (not what's on the regular cart) and even wear a mask and gloves to clean the bathroom. At least, ours at CR did after she came in to clean the room and found me lying in bed. I let her know that I was very sick, but my "roommates" were well, and asked her to give our bathroom a good cleaning (I had been vomiting a LOT). She excused herself, then came back with some different cleaners, the gloves, and mask. She cleaned our room REALLY good for the rest of our stay, and my friends did not ever get sick. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you are concerned about germs in your room from prior guests, you can always ask for a "VIP cleaning". They will go all out hard core for you...even providing fresh comforters and shampooing the carpet!

StitchFan#1
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
In may we were down there and I got sick. We were at Discovery cove (wich was ah-mazing) followed by an extreme MK day (16 hrs first starting in HS). On mothersday I had a fever and my dads mickey pancakes bribe wouldnt even wake me up! When I finally did wake up we just hung in the PORFQ pool and chilled. Man I hated that stupid bug that day!

lindique
10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I've never gotten sick while at Disney, but have often gotten sick on the day I've gone home (lucky, I guess).

I've been thinking about this a bit lately. You would think that Disney World brass is quite scared right now about a possible widespread outbreak of flu on property. Just the mention of it in the newspapers would cause new bookings to drop precipitously and booked guests to cancel. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Purel dispensers started to appear.

DVC2004
10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
The first time we took the kids in 2002 myself and both boys came down with pneumonia (thankfully the last day of our trip). The next year, 2003, the three of us came down with some horrid stomach flu. I know they were little and we shared a water bottle. After that no more sharing and I brought hand sanitizer to use when we couldn't get to a sink. I don't think Disney can do too much about it. There are just lots and lots of folks and some come sick. Now that the kids are older and aren't touching everything and putting thier hands in their mouths things are better. My husband never caught our bugs but he didn't share drinks, etiher. He was smart!

Oh, and another trip I stepped in a piece of glass at home the day before we left and had to have some minor foot surgert before we left. That was a painful trip walking on my poor foot! So we've had our share of illness and injuries.

Madame Leona
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
We were there in November 2008 and my boys had a terrible stomach bug. My older son didn't leave the room for a day and a half. This past trip was Sept 2009 and my family was so sick. My mom, dh, and boys all had fevers, aches, chills, the works about two days after getting there. I didn't get it until we got home. I truly think we keep picking up bugs on the plane ride. It seems to happen about 36-48 hours into the trip every time. I think it's all of the recycled air blowing on you in the plnae.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Yup, flu on my honeymoon! Really.

mouseketeer mom
10-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes. Seems something always starts while at WDW. Usually its something upper respiratory, like a cold. One year it was fever and throat for my son. One time it was weird bites all over my sons face. This time 4 out of 5 of us came home and we were itchy and found lice soon after our arrival home. We can't say whether we got it at WDW or not. But we've never, ever, ever had it before. Ever. And it was pure TORTURE to get rid of.
On an aside, on our cruise on the Disney Wonder, they had hand sanitizer everywhere. And they encouraged you to use it especially before entering the restaurants to dine.

CanadianWDWFan
10-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Besides food poisoning that I got at a resort restaurant the only time I got sick was a wicked ear infection that I got from my dive into the Living Seas on Divequest. :diver:All I can say is that I am glad the we drove down on this trip. Flying would have been very painful.:mickey:

hannahandkalebmom
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
During our december 2008 trip 5 out of the seven of us got flu like smptoms. Unfortunately at Disney trying to find ginger ale to settle your stomach is practically impossible. We searched high and low and we did not have a rental car to go to the store and get some. Even though there was sickness on our trip we still have a ton of memories to go with it. All 7 of us are going back in feb 2010 hopefully no one will get ill.

brad192
10-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Yup!

My last trip was offended by the Noro virus. At the time, I attributed it to food poisening from Boma. I have to apoligize and accept that I probably contracted that from a differernt source, probably from my trip to WDW. Anyway...

It kept me in my hotel room for a day+, and limited me for enjoying the parks for another 2 days. Let's just say bathrooms were VERY important to me.:blush:

In the middle of this, I realized that - I'd been to WDW 10 times, and had a wonderful time each & every time. Ok, the law of avereages caught up with me...:(

I accepted what had happened, and made the most of what vacation I had left.

It was still a wonderful vacation. I love WDW! :mickey:

Dragongirlx
10-16-2009, 05:54 AM
I have managed to get horrible colds twice which have surfaced while I was a wdw but I am 99% sure I caught them on the plane. That recycled air is just wonderful!

Tinkerfreak
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM
We used to have family members get sick every time we went (strep, stomach flu, etc.) up until about 3 years ago when I discovered Airborn. I really think alot of people do get sick from germs at the airport and from being run down. We all start taking it a week before we leave and every morning when we get up and so far for the past 3 years we have all been fine. I also always use Lysol wipes on the entire room before we settle in. I do the remote controls, light switches, phones, door handles and the entire bathroom. I guess I just don't trust anyone but me to sanitize stuff. I know some will say that this is too much work and I should just enjoy my vacation and not stress about it but I do stress about it. The 10 minutes or so I take to do this when we arrive puts us all at ease and we can relax more. We are good about hand washing or sanitizer before we eat but we do this at home anyway.

2Epcot
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I've never got sick on any of my trips to WDW, but I did get sick on my first day at Hong Kong Disneyland a few years ago. Actually, I had only been at the park less than 2 hours. We ate lunch on Main St, but I don't think it was the food from the restaurant because I started feeling bad while we were eating. It was also pretty hot that day, so while waiting for the parade I felt like I was going to pass out. Luckily the stores were very air conditioned, so I ducked in there, came out and watched the parade against one of the stores. I felt better after a couple of hours, and the second day we were at the park. However, it took me a couple of weeks to fully recover.

prprincess
10-16-2009, 09:26 AM
My husband, oldest son, and I got sick at WDW back in 2006. We had a really bad stomach bug for about 48 hours, and were in the bathroom the entire time either puking or doing you know what. Since we ALL got it and had ALL eaten at Flametree BBQ and Boma that day, we figured that it had to be from just getting a bad batch of something at either restaurant.

So even if Disney did take all the precautions they could, I think that people would still get sick from various things.

emmatink
10-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I appologize in advance if I offened anyone by saying this, but I think that we all need to be proactive with our healthcare. Everyone needs to get flu shots and washing hands is the best way to keep germs away. Hand sanitizers are next best when in a pinch but warm water and soap is best. Everyones suggestions about sanitizing light switches, remotes, etc with Lysol wipes are great suggestion too.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I always carry hand sanitizer in my back/day pack. One thing I have noticed is how many people do not wash their hands after "using the facilities". I always open bathroom doors at the parks using a paper towel.

diz_girl
10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
I've been sick (colds) at WDW for my last two vacations. I didn't catch those colds at WDW, but I caught them on the drive down from family members traveling with me (DH in 2007 and SIL in 2008). These were my only trips at WDW during the cold & flu season. All of my other trips have been during the warmer months. Interestingly enough, I had never been sick on any of my previous trips.

Just so you don't blame me for getting others sick while I was down there, I either washed my hands or used Purell immediately after blowing my nose. Every time.

Granny Jill A
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
We were there in November 2008 and my boys had a terrible stomach bug. My older son didn't leave the room for a day and a half. This past trip was Sept 2009 and my family was so sick. My mom, dh, and boys all had fevers, aches, chills, the works about two days after getting there. I didn't get it until we got home. I truly think we keep picking up bugs on the plane ride. It seems to happen about 36-48 hours into the trip every time. I think it's all of the recycled air blowing on you in the plnae.

It sounds like you and your family got something from the food you ate. Norovirus, salmonella and e-coli run rampant through our food supply. Food handlers often transmit them without knowing it.

Sorry your trip was such a disaster.

jennsky
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
My last trip to Disney (May 2008) I got SO SICK!! I've never been so sick there. We spent 3 days/2 nights at the Polynesian before moving to Pop Century for another week. I'm pretty sure I got it at Poly because for whatever reason, I recall walking past a little kid who sneezed and I felt the little droplets land on my bare sandal'ed foot. I remember thinking "I hope that boy didn't sneeze on my daughter!" Well, turns out I was the only one to get sick...REALLY sick. The day we checked into Pop Century, I spent entirely in the bathroom throwing up, :ack::ack:, and then every other day for the remainder of the vacation, I was back in the bathroom. I was probably overdoing it...I would get up enough energy to go to the parks, and then I'd be back in bed sick the next day. I so DO NOT want that to happen when I go back to Florida in 3 weeks. I'm really worried about catching Swine Flu, but they say (in Canada at least) that the vaccine won't be available until early November. Seeing as we leave on November 6th, I think we may be out of luck until we get back. Pixie dust that this vacation isn't ruined by more illness too! AHH!!

NewDVCowner
10-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Years ago I went to DL with my mom, three sisters and brother. We were staying at the Disneyland Hotel in one room (and one bathroom) for all of us. I guess it was a family suite. All but one of us ended up catching some HORRIBLE stomache bug. We were all throwing up and, um, doing stuff from the other end and were litterally reduced to using the trash can. Very fortunately it only lasted about 24 hours but during that time it was just miserable. We had seen a kid throwing up near the submarines a couple days before the first of us got sick and we all think that that's where it came from.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
When we were there for 8 days last Sept I got sick right in the middle of the trip. It started out as a raspy throat and turned into a full blown head cold. By the night before we left I couldn't even keep my head up it wiped me out so badly. And the plane ride home was no fun either! I too blame it on the plane ride.

Dsnygirl
10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Add me to the list of people who got sick on the plane ride down... I left NY perfectly healthy, hadn't flown in about 9 years so didn't think to be careful about the seats and TV controls, etc.

De-planed at about 9:30 and by 3:30 could feel it in the back of my throat... of course, we'd left our baggage w/ the concierge services, so had nothing to take, and I always travel with Echinacea and Vit. C.

So, by the time we got back to our room at 10pm, it was almost a full-blown cold... and it lasted the entire 5 days we were there. :( But - at least it wasn't bad enough to stop the fun -- although I did miss a few meals, as I couldn't taste anything by day 3. ;)

mjaclyn
10-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Well i've been up since 3am absolutely miserable, STILL sick from the flu we caught while at WDW a week ago!!! It's so unfair that this awful sickness is lasting longer than our actual trip. I feel really bad for the kids...they're still sick too. :-( if we're not better by Sunday night we're all going back to the doctors on Monday. None of us have been this sick in years so I have a feelin it's swine flu even though DH's rapid test came back negative...they're never 100% accurate and it would be just our luck.

Sylvia
10-19-2009, 12:50 AM
In 50+ trips, I've been very lucky. I always get the "sniffles" when I go to WDW. I'm sure it's due to going in/out of air conditioning and heat and most times it clears up after a couple of days. But there were a several times when I wasn't so lucky.

A few years ago I was with friends and I had a head cold and felt miserable - no coughing or sneezing - just a lot of congestion. I never told my friends, since it was their first time in WDW. It was really tough, but I managed to keep it from them and they had a great time.:ill:

Two years ago, on a solo trip, I caught a bug somewhere and stayed in bed for 36 hours. I discovered that mousekeeking really honors the "privacy please" sign. When I finally woke up, there was a message on my phone (that was sent through the system - my phone never rang) letting me know that fresh towels and toiletries were left outside my door. When the mousekeeper cleaned my room, she must have realized that I was sick - the clue was probably the trashcan full of used kleenex and the empty box on the bed. When I got back to my room later that day, it was obvious that she had given it a more thorough cleaning than usual. My room was as spotless and smelled as clean as it did the day I checked in. And, she left an extra box of kleenex and a towel animal.:cloud9:

On my most recent trip (last month), the unusually high humidity really affected me. I slept late most mornings and didn't spend as much time in the parks as I would have liked. I spent much more time in air conditioned places and at my resort than I normally do. It was a much different trip than my typicaI WDW stays, but I still had a great time.:thumbsup:

nicster
10-19-2009, 01:12 AM
DH got a cold once, so we had to slow down for a day & a half while he got his legs under him. We went to the movies, and turned in early.

I would like to suggest an idea that I have gotten from the many cruises that we have been on. They have hand sanitizer on a stand for people to use as they walk into a restaurant, especially the buffets, as everyone is using the same serving instruments. It could cut back on the 'sharing', that may be going on.

MushuGrl
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I got a nasty head cold the third day into our 2007 trip, which was a major bummer because 1) was our first free dining trip and I couldn't taste anything and 2) humidity was at a bazillion percent which made me feel like I was suffocating.

Thankfully, my friend that was with me (was his first trip to WDW - I went with him on MY first trip to DL) had some Claritin D on him, which saved the trip for me - I felt a little goofy, but I could breath!

(I also blame it for me getting on Space Mountain. I WAS DRUGGED I TELL YOU!)

coneygoil
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
On my family's trip on '95, I got the flu the last two days of the trip. I tried pressing on, but it was so bad :(

Thankfully, none of my family has gotten sick since. I'm not sure if there's anything else that could be done to keep from getting sick save for washing hands and sanitizer.

DisneyAggies
11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
DH caught a cold in the summer (UGH!!) several years ago. He LOVED the nurse at Epcot...she was sweet on him. :ack:

I suffered from a HORRID stomach related issue a few years back--still to this day don't know if it was food or a bug, but yeah...it wasn't pretty...and riding the BUS back to the resort...just torture!!

We all made it back from our October trip healthy!! That's with a 2 year old and a 4 year old TOUCHING EVERY LIVING THING IN A THREE MILE RADIUS!! I was proactive, though...I wiped down hotel room surfaces with Lysol wipes, and we used hand sanitzer--LIBERALLY...as well as washing with soap and water before eating ANYTHING!! I know...a little on the OCD side, but we managed to stay well!! :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a medical clinic near the WDW resorts that has a free shuttle to transport you to the clinic and back. The info for this clinic is in your welcome packet when you check in at your WDW resort.
They pick you up and drop you off at your resorts main bldg entrance area.
Next to the clinic is a pharmacy if you need a prescription etc. Note that this pharmacy (Turner Pharmacy) will deliver to all WDW resorts up to 10:30 pm both prescriptions and over the counter products too. There is a $5 dollar charge for delivery and the entire bill including delivery will be charged to your credit card that you used at check in.
We learned this when my youngest DD got sick last year and DW took ill this past September.
Hope this info is not neeeded!!:D

Basket Mommy
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I think this thread cursed us. We just got back yesterday and while we were there my 6 YO son got a tummy bug. Not a bad one, but he was down for about 18 hours. He's fine now. We sprayed everything with Lysol as soon as we stepped foot into the room, and we washed hands/used sanitizer just about every stinking minute of our trip. He still got sick (but he was the only one, thank goodness!)

IloveDisney71
11-04-2009, 10:26 PM
A couple of years ago I was at Disney in February. The last day of our trip I started getting a little bit of a sore throat and slight runny nose. By the next morning my throat was killing me and I felt like I'd been hit by a train. I had a lovely 8 hour drive home. Once I got home (the next day) I went to the doctor and had the flu! I had gotten the flu shot a couple of months before but it was for a different type! :ill:
I was just glad that I didn't get sick any earlier in my trip. We might be going in December and I'll be taking plenty of hand-sanitizer and hand wipes with me! :D I'm not going to be fanatic about it but I'm going to be cautious. :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
3 of the 6 of our family have gotten sick while at Disney, all on different trips though. They all seemed to be food-related, or stomach issues, but nothing real serious that it ruined more than a day for anybody.

One of my worst experiences was once when we were going to Ohana, which is one of my favorite places. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat, and suffered thru the meal watching the rest of my family enjoy the scrumptious food.

I think Disney does as good a job as they can to try and prevent these kinds of things. But, unfortunately, when you have 30-40,000 people a day passing thru and touching everything in site, there's only so much that can be done to contain it. The best thing you can do is wash your hands as often as possible, and avoid touching anything unnecessary.