PDA

View Full Version : High Functioning Autism?

d_m_n_n
10-15-2009, 02:39 AM
This has been a rotten day. While at school volunteering, DS8's teacher took me aside and told me she wants to have him evaluated. I am at a loss right now and my heart is about to break. :cry: Can anyone tell me anything about this? Thank you.

seanyred
10-15-2009, 05:06 AM
The clinical names for High Functioning Autism are Aspergers Disorder and/or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). Depending upon your State the School should be able to provide a Case Study that would involve psychological testing to help determine if your DS has any clinical symptoms of PDD.

I hope that definition helps. And I hope everything turns out okay.

Strmchsr
10-15-2009, 08:12 AM
There's a lot of different things that could mean, but it's really nothing to worry about. My DS9 falls on that spectrum, but most folks would never know it just talking to him. It just means we have to make some adjustments in helping him learn. It doesn't mean he's going to have any big problems. Don't let it get you down!

lovewalt
10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
"Welcome to Holland"
By Emily Perl Kingsley, 1987. All rights reserved.

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss. But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

Mickey'sGirl
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
It is indeed a very stressful and confusing time. We've been through it ... twice. After the shock wears off, and you find out what you are dealing with, you can sit back and realize that your absolutely FABULOUS son is still your absolutely FABULOUS son. He hasn't changed one bit, but now you can address his needs more effectively.

:hug: to you and your family as you find your way. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions, or just to talk.

DVC2004
10-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Take a deep breath. Everything is going to be OK.

My oldest son, now 12, was diagnosed around age 6. It was a struggle up until then because we knew there were issues since he was a toddler but no one would listen to us- doctors, the school, teachers, etc. No ne even would test him when I asked and the doctors refused to as well. Nothing to worry about they all said. Well that was not the case. However once we were able to finally get the evaluation (things took a turn for the worse when he attended first grade), his life and ours changed dramatically for the better as he was placed properly in a good, private school where he was given the proper therapy and education. My son has flourished- he has made huge strides and we couldn't be more proud and grateful. He falls into the High functioning spectrum. He is an awesome, smart, funny, and loving young man. Every day I am inspired by him. I have every expectation that he will grow up to be just as awesome an adult. And most people have no clue of his issue when they talk to him.

It's hard to hear when it's your child- I know- but you have to let go of any fears you may feel and just be his advocate. There is so much more awareness now which means more help is available. And things DO get better. PM me anytime. Also- an evaluation is just that. It doesn't mean he has it. Possibly there will be nothing found; possibly a learning issue that does not fall into the same category. Definitely do it though- you have nothing to lose. Hopefully if anything is discovered it will only help.

teambricker04
10-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Take a deep breath. It will be okay, and guess what? It is okay to be afraid and scared and angry. You can pick up your shattered heart and patch it up.

My son speaks French. At least that is what his older brother tells people :) He is two and has a great sense of humor, is loving, and happy.

Basically, I was hit over the head with Autism Spectrum Disorder. This was over five months ago and I am still reeling, but that is okay as long as we accomplish what we need to. Some days are hard for him, for me, for all of us.

Anyway, take the teachers opinion with a grain of salt. She is doing her job, and she spotted something that raised a flag, but this is far from a diagnosis. Find out what steps you need to take, educate yourself, make a list of questions. Bottomline, you have prepared for Italy, but you haven't arrived in Holland yet so there is time to get things lined up.

Do you want to know about the evaluation? Are they doing it through the school district? You may also want to consider talking to your son's doctor.

Thinking of you... let us know what other questions you have!!!

d_m_n_n
10-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you all so much for the encouragement. Lack of sleep and looking on the internet in the middle of the night will do a number on one's nerves. I feel so much better about this, knowing that he will be ok. And if I can make his life easier, I will do whatever it takes.

We are so blessed to have his teacher this year (which will also be next year since it is a multiage classroom) as she is truly an amazing woman.

The teacher suggested I call the mother of another autistic child in the class and ask for advice on which doctor to take him to. Should I wait for the evaluation at school or go ahead and call? I have a feeling I am going to have lots of questions in the next few weeks...

BrerGnat
10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
The teacher suggested I call the mother of another autistic child in the class and ask for advice on which doctor to take him to. Should I wait for the evaluation at school or go ahead and call? I have a feeling I am going to have lots of questions in the next few weeks...

It really doesn't make a difference which comes first.

The school district has its own guidelines for establishing what Autism Spectrum Disorder "means" as far as special education requirements or additional supports needed. Even if you had a formal medical diagnosis from a doctor, the school would STILL have to do their full evaluation.

I'd personally do the medical evaluation first. It does help to have a "formal" diagnosis. It sort of prods the school personnel to really do the evaluation properly, as they will feel that if they do not also come up with an ASD diagnosis, you will likely fight it.

buzznwoodysmom
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I just wanted to say good luck with everything and I am sure it will all work itself out. About a year ago we had my DS, age 9 now, evaluated for Asperger's. We requested it because we saw a few characteristics that concerned us. Our pediatrician said no way did he think our son had any Autism disorder, but agreed that it was best to see someone trained in this field. My son had already been diagnosed with ADD, so his ped. just thought we hadn't found proper management yet, but DH and I insisted on the evaluation. We drove over and hour to see a pediatric neurologist who specializes in Autism Spectrum Disorders. In the end the neurologist was 100% confident that what we were dealing with was just unmanaged ADD. This didn't mean that we weren't trying to manage his ADD, it just meant that we had not found a good "fit" for him yet. It was the best thing we ever did, because it put our minds at ease. Not because he didn't have Autism, or Aspergers, but because...either way we knew. The worst part is not knowing. I say do the evaluation as soon as possible. That way if he is diagnosed you can begin to help him to meet his fullest potentional, and if he isn't you can at least be relieved that you now know. Good luck.

teambricker04
10-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you all so much for the encouragement. Lack of sleep and looking on the internet in the middle of the night will do a number on one's nerves. I feel so much better about this, knowing that he will be ok. And if I can make his life easier, I will do whatever it takes.

We are so blessed to have his teacher this year (which will also be next year since it is a multiage classroom) as she is truly an amazing woman.

Your son is still who he was the minute before this information was given to you.... I am always reminding myself that :)

I think you should call that parent up... they'll will have some of the best information around. I have found that sometimes the different organizations don't always speak the same lingo... and every place is different. We moved from Denver to Chicago during our son's process and each place is soooo different. Talk to your son's doctor as well, they may have some great information or a direction to send you in.

I have found some comfort in reading mommy-blogs about parenting children with an ASD. I find that the caring end of things helps me keep my head straight when I am talking clinical things.

Please let me know if you need any thing... support, direction, or what not. I know this whole thing is so very overwhelming.

Lisaj13
10-16-2009, 02:12 PM
My DD13 has a friend who's autistic. She has a teacher's aide, but has always gone to the regular schools that my daughter attended, and has made huge strides. She's a good kid, which is what's important.

BTW, we've known her since kindergarten and the kids at the schools have been great. You read a lot about how kids can be cruel (and they can!) but they can also be loving and supportive.

Try to take each day as it comes and look after yourself.

Disneyatic
10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
My first thought was Bravo to your son's teacher for taking the time to notice and recommend for your son!
Lots of Pixie Dust coming to you for the evaluations to come!

Would someone be able to tell me some of the general signs that may point towards High Functioning Autism?
My nephew is 6 and since he started school last year has been having an awful time, he is constantly in trouble for acting out and refusing to follow directions.
I have always had a suspicion that he may have something going on other than "just being a boy" (which is what his parents say UGH).
I would love to hear from parents who have dealt with this on what clued them into their child needing additional support.
Thanks in advance (and sorry to highjack your thread:blush:)

DVC2004
10-16-2009, 06:39 PM
My first thought was Bravo to your son's teacher for taking the time to notice and recommend for your son!
Lots of Pixie Dust coming to you for the evaluations to come!

Would someone be able to tell me some of the general signs that may point towards High Functioning Autism?
My nephew is 6 and since he started school last year has been having an awful time, he is constantly in trouble for acting out and refusing to follow directions.
I have always had a suspicion that he may have something going on other than "just being a boy" (which is what his parents say UGH).
I would love to hear from parents who have dealt with this on what clued them into their child needing additional support.
Thanks in advance (and sorry to highjack your thread:blush:)

Well, with my son he wasn't able to communicate well and we noticed it as a toddler- around 18 months of age. The doctor said it was nothing and boys were slower in that area. You could not have a conversation with him. When he was little much of what he said was repeated from what he heard someone else say or what was said on a cartoon or commercial. He also was very delayed in potty training and could not grasp a pencil properly, motor skills were not where they should have been. He was distant, not engaged, preferred to play alone and do his own thing. He didn't like to play with other children. In first grade he acted out in class because he did not understand, and they did not understand him. When evaluated he was first called developmentally delayed as a broad diagnosis, and they tested him for autism but he did not have all the characterstics of autism (he had some). But your nephew may be ADHD instead- which is very common. ALot of kids have ADHD- alot of boys in particular.

tinksmom02
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
"Welcome to Holland"

this was absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us.

And while i don't have any advice for the OP, i just wanted to wish you good luck with everything.

seanyred
10-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Earlier in this thread it was asked what symptoms need to be present for a diagnosis to be made. Here is the clinical diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Disorder and Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

Just a word of caution you can use these diagnostic criteria as a guideline but a trained professional (i.e. psychiatrist, psychologist and/or therapist) needs to make the diagnosis.

299.80 Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified

This category should be used when there is a severe and pervasive impairment in the development of reciprocal social interaction or verbal and nonverbal communication skills, or when stereotyped behavior, interests, and activities are present, but the criteria are not met for a specific pervasive developmental disorder, schizophrenia, schizotypal personality disorder, or avoidant personality disorder. For example, this category includes "atypical autism" --presentations that do not meet the criteria for autistic disorder because of late age of onset, atypical symptomatology, or subthreshold symptomatology, or all of these.

299.80 Asperger's Disorder

1. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors, such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity
2. Restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
3. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
4. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).
5. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.
6. Criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia.

pink
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
My brother (13) was diagnosed with aspergers many years ago and he is very functional and a happy young boy. He has no motor skills, therefore he does and can't play most sports because he just can't keep up. He is smart and has a few good friends that he hangs out with. Growing up with him was VERY diffulcult mostly because we did not know what medications worked well for him, every child is different. Now that things are settled, he is a wonderful boy and I couldn't have asked for a better brother. Compared to other boys his age he is not dating or interested in it, he is just starting to notice girls and he doesn't like to stay up late or go out but he is more polite, mature and understanding than these other boys his age.

The easiest way to understand it is to say in my brothers case.
Mentally/emotionally he is 10.
Psychically (sp) he is his age, 13.
Intellectually, he is 16.

It is like living in Holland where you don't know the language, some days it is like raising three children at once because every part of him is one a different level but at the end of the day, everything falls into place. Everything will be ok. :mickey:

starryeyes21
10-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Everyone here has given you such great advice. There really isn't a whole lot to add. I did just want to say to be careful before contacting the parent the teacher told you about. Technically, she is not allowed to share another student's diagnosis. A child's diagnosis is considered protected health information. The teacher disclosing this to you is in violation of HIPPA laws. If you call the parent and she does not want to be contacted the teacher could be in trouble if this parent informs the school.

Under no circumstances can the teacher disclose a diagnosis even with the parent's consent. She should not be handing out another parent's phone number. I know we would all hate for a good dedicated teacher to get in trouble for a law she may not even know she's violating.

d_m_n_n
10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Everyone here has given you such great advice. There really isn't a whole lot to add. I did just want to say to be careful before contacting the parent the teacher told you about. Technically, she is not allowed to share another student's diagnosis. A child's diagnosis is considered protected health information. The teacher disclosing this to you is in violation of HIPPA laws. If you call the parent and she does not want to be contacted the teacher could be in trouble if this parent informs the school.

Under no circumstances can the teacher disclose a diagnosis even with the parent's consent. She should not be handing out another parent's phone number. I know we would all hate for a good dedicated teacher to get in trouble for a law she may not even know she's violating.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Fortunately we live in a very small community. I went to school with the other child's mother, her (former) sister-in-law does our hair, her DS and my oldest DS went to the same sitter when they were little and we have socialized in the same circles. (lol...gotta love rural areas!!). I knew about her son long before they were placed in the same class together. I just didn't want anyone to think the teacher was not following the law! :)

Lakin
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM
"Welcome to Holland"

My mom has that story hanging on the computer desk upstairs; My friend gave it to her when she figured out my sister has DS (Downs Syndrome)

wdw_bound
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM

There may be other privacy rules that impact educators, but teachers are not covered by HIPAA - it is for healthcare workers. It is entirely possible that the other mother has already given consent. My DD11 is a pediatric stroke survivor. She is doing very well, but I remember how scared and alone we felt after the initial diagnosis. I have always made it a point (and now that DD is older, do this with her permission) to be very open about her diagnosis and how it affects DD with therapists, teachers, etc. I have also always told them that they can pass along my contact info if it will be of any help to someone else who may be facing the same journey. I would hate for another parent to feel the loneliness that DH and I faced in those early days.

I have gotten phone calls and emails from several people over the years - and am always happy to talk.

To the original poster: I am so sorry you are going through this emotional time. But the others are right - he is the same great kid today that he was yesterday, and nothing will ever change that. Just take on breath at a time, and know that you will all get through this.

starryeyes21
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the correction. I am so used to citing HIPPA because I am a behavior specialist and this law is the one that applies to me. It is very strict and I take it so seriously that my co-workers call me the HIPPA nut! I must say that word a thousand times a day. Sometimes I just type things automatically. Public schools are covered under FERPA. It's very similar but a little less strict.

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry! I never meant to imply that the teacher was disobeying the law. I have seen some of my coworkers deal with some sticky situations because they were trying to be helpful and didn't realize what they were disclosing. I've even done it myself. Other parents are a great resource and one's willing to help in those beginning stages can be a lifesaver.

I also wanted to add that I have worked with children and teenagers on the spectrum ranging in age from 2-21. All of the children and young adults that I have worked with are amazing people. I have worked with children on all levels of the spectrum, this includes teenagers with aspergers. They are such good kids. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in the future. Autism is just a label, a word, not a measurement of who you child is or will be. He is still the same boy he always was.

d_m_n_n
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
We are going to Holland!!!

I am feeling so much better about this!! I was in the school again this morning and the teacher gave me a checklist of traits and behaviors...DS exhibits about 90% of what is on the list! While we don't have the definite diagnosis, if it isn't this I will be shocked. Where was this list when he was in preschool? I only wish I had seen it a few years ago and we could have found it so much earlier. Thank you again for all your words of encouragement. We are going to be ok! :) I'm looking at this as he is going to have roadblocks and now we are going to have the tools to move those blocks before he hits them.

disneyatic, if you're interested in seeing the list let me know. It's about 4 pages long, but I can PM you with some of them.

TheVBs
10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Everyone's written such wonderful things here, I can't think of much to add except some :pixie: !

Everything really will be ok!

Start with your pediatrician or family doctor. And educate yourself as much as possible. Most importantly, if someone suggests something that doesn't seem accurate to you, get a second opinion and do more research! :mickey:

d_m_n_n
10-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I made the appointment for his evaluation with a doctor for the middle of November. How do I go about explaining to him what we are going for? I don't want to use the word autism because I don't think he is able to distinguish between high functioning and the other little guy. :confused:

seanyred
10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I made the appointment for his evaluation with a doctor for the middle of November. How do I go about explaining to him what we are going for? I don't want to use the word autism because I don't think he is able to distinguish between high functioning and the other little guy. :confused:

Just wondering what type of doctor?

When you meet with this doctor I would focus more on behaviors that your DS may display. More than likely the doctor will have a lot of questions for you, so don't feel you have to have something prepared. If this doctor is a psychologist they will typically spend time you and get family history and then spend one on one time with your DS for their portion of the evaluation.

Let me offer one more piece of info. Diagnosing a young child is not the easiest thing to do, there can be many factors that can sway diagnosis one way or another. In other words the initial diagnosis is not written in stone it can change. The idea behind the diagnosis is that it will be guide to help aid in treatment and possibly provide a better learning environment at school.

Good Luck. And take a deep breath.

d_m_n_n
10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
The Autistic Coordinator at a neighboring school corporation suggested using one specific psychologist...the teacher really looks up to the AC, so I am taking her advice. I was given a form or characteristics/behaviors and given one for his teachers to fill out as well. And given the financial information... :eek: I hope our insurance will cover some of it.

Mickey'sGirl
10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
There is nothing to be ashamed of if he is Autistic, so I don't feel there is a need to distinguish between one end of the spectrum and the other. He's either Autistic or he is not, the rest is semantics. That said, if you do not care to broach the idea of Autism with your son yet, perhaps you could tell him that you are going to meet with a doctor who is going to help you all understand why he feels the way he does about things, or why he sees things or does things a certain way. You do not have to set this up as a negative experience for him.

Autism is not a disease. It is nobody's fault, and it is part of what makes an Autistic individual what he or she is. Regardless of the diagnosis (or non-diagnosis) the doctor makes, its purpose is to help you learn how to help your child get on with his life...how to be happy...how to succeed. This doctor is there for your child.

wdw_bound
10-24-2009, 05:25 PM
It's hard finding words that kids will understand and not react to, isn't it? As adults, we (hopefully) know how to talk about it, but even then it can be hard. And when you are dealing in degrees, it can be even harder for kids and some adults.

My daughter's official diagnosis includes the term cerebral palsy. Most people make very incorrect assumptions based on this diagnosis, as they are only familiar with one end of that "spectrum." They are amazed to discover that she is very advanced in many areas cognitively, and on grade level for everything else. They insist that she can't possibly have cp as she is very independent...

We have chosen to explain her situation to others in very specific terms (she had a stroke, which people tend to understand) and not use the cp label. The explanations are based on what the "others" in question need to know (teachers vs. lady at the grocery store, for example). As for DD, we eased into her diagnosis based on what we felt she could understand/cope with at the time.

While we try very hard to educate others to break down the stereotypes, at the end of the day, sometimes it is just too hard to deal with enlightening the world, and we've come to accept that that is ok. While I would encourage you to be open, I'd also suggest doing so cautiously so at first until you find your balance on this.

As for what to tell your son right now, if I might suggest, why tell him much at all prior to the eval? As for the eval, my suggestion would be to present it as just going to talk to someone about what your son thinks of school, etc? Just tell him the basics to reduce any anxiety, but not set him up with any preconceived notions? My guess is that the psychologist, if he makes the diagnosis you suspect, will be able to talk with you and/or have materials available to help your son understand and cope.

Remember, one breath at a time and you'll be ok :)

snowflakegirl
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm a school psychologist and as such I am frequently doing evaluations to determine eligibility for special education or to get a better idea of the profile of their strengths and weaknesses. When kids ask me why I'm "testing" them I explain that I'm doing it to help us [the teachers] understand how we can help him and to give us an idea of how he learns, and what things he might be really good at and what things he might need more help with. I would recommend explaining it to your son in similar terms. You're going to the doctor to help you and his school understand the way he feels about things and the way that he learns things. That it will help you help him when he needs it and to know when he might not, to help you understand the way he sees or feels things etc, and that it might help him understand how he feels or the way he sees things sometimes, too. Try to keep your explanation on his level, and don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be and I think this can be a positive experience.

Good luck!

d_m_n_n
11-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, it's now "almost" official. After talking with the dr., filling out the paperwork and reading the book she suggested, I was made even more aware that what I've been seeing has been this all along. We go back in early December (4 days before we leave for Disney :mickey: ) for the follow up and to see what we need to do. She also suggested bringing both DSs so that she can explain to them. DS's teacher has already spoken with the principal regarding setting up a meeting to update/change his IEP (he had one last year for speech therapy and is currently on monitor only). Is there anything else anyone can think of that I need to do in the meantime?

I took everyone's suggestion and told DS we were going to a dr. to help us help him...why he feels the way he does sometimes and to see how we can help him in school...he acted almost relieved and was eager to go. lol...and to help matters, he is hugely interested in Ancient Rome and WWII. Well, the individual evaluating him had just gotten back from a 2 week Mediterranean cruise!! I think they talked for 1/2 hour on the sites she had seen!!!

Brer Mickey
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Things really get easier as you go, because you find that these tests and evaluations help you as a parent in helping your child. Our DS17 was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 12 and it has helped us immensly in understanding him better. I am much more patient with him knowing that he has a difficult time with certain things.

He is very awkward socially and physically. However, he does very well in school and loves history and the other humanities. He even made the honor roll one term last year. We have had him in private schools since being diagnosed simply because he gets more individual attention in smaller class settings.

He does not ride a bike. He does not swim well. He doesn't play basketball with the other kids in the neighborhood, and I rarely see him run. He has trouble with basic fine motor skills such as holding a pencil and tying his shoes and in most cases we have to work with him repetitively to learn something new (like getting into the car without crawling onto the seat first, or how to act in social situations.) But, he has accomplished things in life in spite of his trials, and he is currently working on his Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project

There are many people who know of his condition, and are very helpful in helping him improve and learn including the kids on our street and at church who treat him just like anyone else.

He is a very loving child who really likes to please; he just has to work harder than most kids to function everyday in the world. And as you I am sure are learning, kids with disabilities, at whatever level, hold a special place in our hearts.

I hope these words of encouragement are helpful to you. The fact that you have been so worried about your son just shows how much you really love him!