PDA

View Full Version : What's your hobby?

BrerGnat
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
My DH needs a hobby. Seriously. He is so stressed out all the time from work, and he has nothing to call "his own", so to speak. I want him to find SOMETHING that he can do to unwind and de-stress that is FUN and interesting for him. I mentioned this last night. His response was: "I don't know what kind of hobby I want." :(

So, what is YOUR hobby? We're looking to see what OTHER people do for fun, in the hope that it might spark some interest for DH, and he will take up a new hobby!

disneymom15
10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Well, my hobby is Disney and Intercot. I also run at the gym 3 to 4 days a week. My husband is into weight lifting and likes to ride off road dirt bikes. My brother is into radio controlled trucks (rock crawling). He even set up a course in his basement, and his friends come over and crawls during the winter.

Strmchsr
10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Play ice hockey, do mixed martial arts fighting, and am close to getting my black belt in musa-jikiden eyshen ryu (samurai sword martial art). All of those reduce a LOT of stress.

I also do community theater, read, coach youth/children sports and travel with the family. It's all about finding what's fun and doing it. Just about anything you're interested in can be turned in to a hobby.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I enjoy hunting and fishing, making my own fishing lures. Also, I have volunteered coaching youth sports (volleyball, basketball, and soccer). Mostly, I drive my wife crazy. :mickey:

BrerGnat
10-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Keep the responses coming! DH needs to find something that he can do on HIS time. He works weird hours, and is gone for weeks at a time for training (military). He has to be careful not to pick something that has to be done at certain times or on specific days. It is challenging, since a lot of fun activities require a time commitment that he just doesn't have.

For example, he would LOVE to do something like coach high school wrestling, but he'd never be able to, at least as long as he's in this job. :(

I told him last night: "Just pick something FUN for you...I don't care what it is, or how much it costs, as long as it's legal." :D

It's just been so long since he did anything for himself. I think he forgot what his interests were...

BelleKP
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Currently my DH is in the same situation as far as committing to an activity outside the home. Time just doesn't allow it.
So what did we do? We got a Wii. Not just for kids you know! :blush: We originally got the Wii for Wii Fit and Resort, but currently he plays a lot of Tiger Woods golf. Now I don't know much about the game, but he claims it's very realistic. He likes that he can play nine/eighteen holes of golf at any time of day or night.
He's also a runner, which is an activity he can 'fit in' whenever he has a half hour to spare. We have a treadmill so weather isn't an issue either.
Hope your DH finds something he enjoys!

Greenlawler
10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Well I have too many hobbies to name, but your hubby and yourself may enjoy running. I know it sounds awful but bear with me. Training for a marathon is the single most rewarding thing I have ever done. I accomplished something I never thought was possible. Add to that the fact that it is a good excuse to get to Disney again by running the Walt Disney World Marathon and it is a win win. Plus it is just a fantstic event to be at. It affords you a unique perspective of the parks, the characters are out in full force, and you have thousands of people all along the course cheering you on!

Even if your a fast walker you can compete and finish a marathon many people see this as a monster goal but if I can do it anything is possible.

missymouseworld
10-14-2009, 05:26 PM
A good sport to try is bowling....the allies are open early in the morning (9am) and open until late at night. He can join a league or just go by himself or with family and it is good to throw something and knock stuff down. It doesn't have a season to limit to, you can do it any time of the year.

Marilyn Michetti
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Did I notice that you're from CA? It's warm there, so why not a garden? My DH loves growing stuff. He was into G-gauge trains for awhile, and ran track all around the yard. That didn't last long, and was terrible expensive. Now he does ceramics too, and really loves it.:)

pink
10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
My DBF went through the same problem as your DH awhile back but he is working through it. He loves building things so he has made it his new hobby to build furniture for his mom and dad. He recently built an end table for them, now he is building a bar. He doesn't start from scratch, he buys the pieces at Home Depot or wherever you want to go, puts it together and then stains it. That is one hobby that doesn't have a set schedule.

Personally I fill my free time with writing books, answering others questions/problems on Yahoo Answers and doing anything that has to with Disney. :mickey:

Speedy1998
10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I collect coins and currency. It can be an expensive hobby, but if you set limits say $20 to $50 per month it is not too bad. I buy most of my coins from the Littleton Coin company.

BrerGnat
10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Good suggestions everyone!

To address a few posts:

1. He does run already. A lot! We both do. He's a Marine, and staying fit is part of his job description. He runs every day at work, and we go running together on weekends (with our boys in a double jogger, that I pilot on the weekdays). ;)

2. Gardening is out. We live in an apartment with no yard of any sort.

3. We have a Wii already. He plays quite a bit.

4. Can't get into building stuff or any sort of "shop work", due to said apartment living. Our property actually prohibits using our one car garage for doing such projects.

I am thinking of getting into cycling for fitness, since running is getting old and my knees are paying the price. ;) I know he likes to ride bikes, and I wonder if this would be a good thing. Neither of us has a bike (yet), but I've been shopping around for one.

He's also expressed interest in Golfing, but he has never played, and he's not sure how to get started. :confused:

AZ Disney
10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Tennis is my hobby - absolutely love it! I do like golf too, but if given the choice I'd pick Tennis. All you have to do to get started is take a lesson...

Strmchsr
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
He's also expressed interest in Golfing, but he has never played, and he's not sure how to get started. :confused:

Most public courses and country clubs have a club pro who will offer private lessons along with rental clubs. That way he could go out for a couple of lessons without investing a ton of money in clubs before finding out if he likes it or not. I know the USAF bases I was on offered that service if the base had a golf course (and they usually do). I assume it might be the same with your stations.

magicofdisney
10-14-2009, 09:24 PM
My husband is ex-military and he has the most obscure hobby of anyone I've ever known (other than the few people who do this as well :)).

Basically, it's miniature war gaming. I only bring it up because my husband was also in the Marines (Semper Fi!) and most of the guys he plays with are now ex-military. At one time, they were current. ;)

Anyway, this is what he does for fun and relaxation. He meets with a local group weekly and there's a yearly convention. He also has a couple of friends throughout the state that try and put together a day of gaming a few times a year.

Phantod
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Okay, I'll state cycling as well. I started road biking back in '89 and joined one of the local clubs to ride with, which can make it much more fun. I've logged over 90,000 miles and I've taken my bike everywhere. I've taken it to work in Riverside, CA area, I've taken it to Portland, OR, I took it to Phoenix,AZ, I took it on a trip the DW and I took to Victoria Island with numerous cycling opportunities on the way, and I've ridden all over the local area.

Another possibility is something that is good to do any place he goes. Reasonably inexpensive, gives a little exercise and can be a little challenging at the same time. It's called geocaching and there are cache locations all over the world. Basically the premise is to obtain a portable GPS tracking device. See them from Garmin, TomTom and Magellan and others. You are given the coordinates of a cache and your assignment is to find it. It's not quite as easy as it sounds because the cache has to be hidden somewhat. I found one on a limb of a tree in a 35mm film case.

Do a search on the Net and you'll find all kinds of details along with tons of places to look for caches.

So this is something he could do on the road, and clearly there are no time requirements as to when you can do it.

Scar
10-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Does he drink beer? If so, try homebrewing. But don't buy a kit. Spend the extra money and buy all the equipment.
I am thinking of getting into cycling for fitness, since running is getting old and my knees are paying the price. ;) I know he likes to ride bikes, and I wonder if this would be a good thing. Neither of us has a bike (yet), but I've been shopping around for one.I've just recently started biking and I love it. Please don't buy a bike at a department store. Go to a local bike shop and get "fitted" for one.

Whatever he decides, just know hobbies are expensive, figure a grand for most hobbies. Homebrewing will be about $200 to get started but, well you know... :blush:

Phantod
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Please don't buy a bike at a department store. Go to a local bike shop and get "fitted" for one.

Scar is absolutely right. I've known people who have put together bikes at department stores and they barely know how to walk. Okay, just kidding.

If you're not sure, buy a less expensive one to start out with. You can always upgrade. It's just a crime to see a $2000 bike hanging up in the garage and never used.

And, IMHO, do you know what the most important part of the bike is, especially if it's a road bike? No not the frame, no not the components. It's the wheels. When my "good" bike was down for maintenance, I took the wheels off of it and put them on my $400 steel frame bike....and then proceeded to ride a double century, that's 200 miles in a day, on it.

Can you say 11 and a quarter hours on a bike? In one day. Thank goodness for Motrin.

tazlikesrobots
10-15-2009, 09:27 AM
How about radio control cars, planes, or helicopters? Prices have come down dramatically and you can buy a ready made entery level kit. Look in your area for an RC club and talk to them about joining....

Given his military background, maybe he can volunteer for a local Boy Scouts troop.

Mousefever
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
My husband's hobby is to start projects around the house and never finish them! :mickey:

His other hobbies include golf, bowling and singing in the church choir. He has also been involved in community theater. Does your husband like to sing or act?

Amy

disneyboundagain
10-15-2009, 12:21 PM
None of my hobbies would work in an appartment. I ride ATV's, tinker with my race car - take it to the track when I have time. And my most time consuming hobby is woodworking. I've been doing it for years, and it has now gotten to the point that it turned into a small side business that requires 40-50 hours a week. I'm hoping that sometime in the near future my "hobby" can turn into my full time job!

BrerGnat
10-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Does your husband like to sing or act?

Amy

Ha ha...NO! Absolutely NOT. Just not his thing...
If you heard him sing, you'd run screaming the other way. :D

BrerGnat
10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
How about radio control cars, planes, or helicopters? Prices have come down dramatically and you can buy a ready made entery level kit. Look in your area for an RC club and talk to them about joining....

This is interesting. One of our sons is WAY into Helicopters and Airplanes, and it would be a great thing for them to do together once DS is older (he's only 3 now). BUT, if he were to get "into" this now, he'd be ready to share it with DS when he's older. :thumbsup:

Only major problem I can see with this is that ALL the city owned parks here specifically do NOT allow radio controlled vehicles to be operated. They're not that strict about it, because we see people flying planes and helicopters all the time, but my husband is VERY much a stickler for the laws, and he wouldn't knowingly break one. I wonder if there would be somewhere else he could go close by to do this sort of thing. I'll have to research this one...he did want to be a pilot though (couldn't due to eyesight). So, maybe he'd be into this.

Tick-Tock
10-15-2009, 12:48 PM
My DH is really into photography. He can take pictures any time of the day or night, and the rest of the time he's editing them on his computer. He's had a few pictures accepted into gallery exhibitions.

Painting? Drawing? Writing? Woodcarving? Learning to play an instrument? Putting together models or dioramas? Puzzles? Juggling? Magic tricks? Cooking? Card games? Film?

Tick-Tock
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I wonder if there would be somewhere else he could go close by to do this sort of thing.

Our local hobby store sponsors RC races in the parking lot in front of the store every Saturday. Check with your local store and RC clubs to see what events there may be or where they go.

prprincess
10-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I have little time for hobbies, because of the kids, but I do web design, make jewelry, and am into photography. My hubby, on the otherhand has a ton--biking, exercising, volleyball, basketball, tennise, video-gaming...I honestly don't know where he gets all of his energy from!

Scott C
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Let start by disclosing that I own a hobby shop and have been selling this stuff for 28 years. The current hot item is R/C helicopters. They can easily be flown either indoors or in your parking lot. Stay away from internet only brands as they can be difficult to obtain parts for - and you will be needing them. My recommendation is the E-Flite Blade series--specifically the CX2 or the mCx. You can get everything that you need for under $200.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks
Scott C

Missy_Mouses_Dad
10-16-2009, 11:41 AM
DD and I were watching some kids play with a R/C boat in a park pond by our house. That was one of the neatest things I have seen, and the kids were having a blast.

diz_girl
10-16-2009, 02:34 PM
My Dad did the family tree for years. All you need is a computer and possibly an Internet connection. You don't need much space and it's not prohibitively expensive.

After he was finished with that, he bought and repaired/restored antique clocks and pocket watches. He has a bunch now. It can get a bit expensive, depending on how much you buy.

He also has been fishing for years. You don't need much for that, just time. He likes fishing in freshwater. But your DH could try saltwater fishing. You're pretty close to the ocean, so he might enjoy that. Some people fish from piers, others from beaches.

I can't necessarily recommend DH's hobbies. He (along with his brother) own thoroughbred racehorses. Which can be a money pit for many. DH also owns a motorcycle and what I call "the toy", which is kept in the garage, and those cost a lot of money and take up a bit of space.

My first thought when I saw your thread was hiking/visiting National Parks and Monuments. After watching the Ken Burns documentary, "The National Parks: America's Best Idea", a couple of weeks ago, I've been listing the parks that I want to visit in the future. I think that you can view full episodes on the PBS website, or you can rent it from Netflix. You have a few National Parks and Monuments in your state and DH can learn about the parks and plan trips, then go visit them on weekends (with you, I'd assume). Watching the documentary made me want to buy an RV (just a small travel trailer, not a Class A motorhome) and take off out west to visit the parks. We'll start to do that in a couple of years when DS is school-age.

BrerGnat
10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Ah..an RC boat. THAT is a great idea. There is a large man made lake here in our city. However, I'll have to check it it's allowed. This place is FULL of crazy laws prohibiting just about everything fun. :rolleyes:

Fishing is a possibility, maybe. He does like the ocean.

Visiting National Parks and/or camping, though. OUT. That's actually his least favorite part of "work"...camping and sleeping outdoors and seeing "nature". He is a field artillery Marine, so he spends LOTS of weeks of the year "camping" in the desert for training exercises. He views any sort of "outdoor/nature/camping" thing as an extension of work. We joke that it's a good thing he hates camping, since I'm such a high maintenance person that I will NOT do it. Not even in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness. Just not my thing. I was forced to attend a 2 day camping trip in 6th grade, and it ruined me for life that way. I HATED it! Plus, we have two young kids, both with special needs, and the thought of long road trips and "camping" with our boys is nightmarish...

garymacd
10-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I do woodworking - cabinets, furniture, etc. It does take a bit of a cash outlay to get all the tools and vent system, but once you have them you are set.

It really is a great stress reliever for me, to actually see something I created from a few pieces of wood become something beautiful or functional.

And you get to swear a lot, too, knowing full well that no one upstairs can hear you because that floor above you is a great soundproofer!

:rotfl:

DonLefNY
10-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Mine is mostly Disney and cruising now. But in the past I used to make models. Car, trucks, military, sailing ships (those are the hardest), but I don't have the steady hands for that anymore. Oh, I was real heavy into boating 10+ years ago too, but that got too expensive with fuel, canal fees, dock fee, maintenance, etc.

pink
10-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Before getting onto the golf courses why doesn't your DH try golfing ranges. They will give him a bucket of balls and he can practicing swinging. :mickey:

Wadeace
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder if there would be somewhere else he could go close by to do this sort of thing. I'll have to research this one...he did want to be a pilot though (couldn't due to eyesight). So, maybe he'd be into this.

A lot of metropolitan areas will have parks or ranges that you can go to that are specifically for RC flyers. If you go to any hobby store that sells RC equipment they will know the locations were you could go. They might also have information on clubs and local groups that you DH could get together with and learn how to fly and get sop good tips.

If he is interested in electronics he might like ham radio or hacking electronics and components together to do some fun stuff, like building a robot, or rigging up some cool and interesting things around the house. It doesn’t take up a lot of space and the tools are quite small and plenty of information can be found online, and many of the projects and gets are very inexpensive.

With ham radio it can be fun because you get to talk to people half way across the country and across the world.

I love model railroading; my grandfather had a large G scale layout that he pt together in his garage, although converting your whole garage into a layout might not be an option. He could take a small corner or take a corner in the apartment to make a small tabletop layout. It can get expensive, especially with the trains. Another option would be to participate in local layout meet ups. Basically the group decides to build a layout, every one is given a section, and they have specks like there will be two tracks spaced such distance apart at a grade of such, and you fill in the rest of the scene, decorating it how ever you want.

Learning magic tricks is an option. There are many that only require a common deck of cards, and relay solely on slight of hand, they can be a great especially if you have kids, because they will love to watch and a great way to bond with your kids because he can teach them how to do the tricks. There are plenty of books available, even at you local barns and noble.

Another one could be to shoot videos of your family vacations and other special days, and edit them together into great keep sacks a memories for years to come. The best part is that depending on if you have a video camera and the type of computer you have you might already have everything you need to get started. There are many recourses online to help you get started. Also if he gets real good either video, it could turn into a good moneymaker on the side.

If he is interested in games, he might like to develop his skills in games that are more analogue such as poker or chess.

Another idea could be aquariums. Maintaining and designing an aquarium-scape can be a hobby in and of its self, especially if he gets into using live plants. And it too could be fun for the whole family to watch the fish as they swim around the tank.

If he would like to get into building things, some areas have shops that you can become a member of and they would also offer classes he could attend where he can learn to build stuff. If there isn’t such a shop in the area he might be interested in whittling. It doesn’t take a whole lot of space, and the tools are mostly hand tools with would create the noise and mess that electric tools would. Also with whittling the project could travel with him if it was small enough to fit in his bag.

While some might not think of it as a hobby I think cooking could be. He could go online to find thousands of different recipes, and try to create the dish for the family. One of my favorite resources for this is Alton brown from the food network, he makes cooking fun and exciting, he even has several episodes devoted to things like home brewing.

Disney Doodle
10-31-2009, 09:11 PM
My hobby is bird watching and walking in the countryside. It opens up a different world when you start to discover the various birds that are around, their habits and habitats. I find it combines relaxation, fresh air and the chance of discovering something new in your own backyard as well as further afield. All you need is a good pair of binoculars and sometimes a little patience.

Angie

IloveDisney71
11-04-2009, 10:59 PM
My DH is in his mid-40's and recently became a member of a very popular website where you can reconnect with old friends and keep up with current friends. I don't think I can say the name of the website but it originated with college students. He's been able to reconnect with people he hasn't seen in years.
He also recently bought an I-pod and has had a ball adding songs that you never hear on the radio to his playlists.