PDA

View Full Version : Living in Florida...Does the Magic ever wear off?

spectrum2100
10-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I've always been curious, for those that live in Florida, and go to the parks a lot, does the Magic ever wear off, and you get tired and bored of Disney?

big blue and hairy
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Been here a year and a half, not yet...:D

:sulley:

joanna71985
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Nope, not at all!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
NOT AT ALL!!! :mickey:

My friends will tell you that after one trip they are done, but not us... we loooove to play at Disney on a Saturday afternoon. :)

BluewaterBrad
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
My parents moved the family down in 1973. First trip was in 73. I have visited over 65 times including marching in the Main street parade,grad nite, and other special occasions. We have always lived at least 2.5 hrs away. No it has NEVER gotten boring. Some trips have been better than others, but all have been Awesome!:mickey:

minnie04
10-14-2009, 03:55 PM
ahhhhhh NOOOOO !!! atleast not for my family...We used to go A LOT more, but with ticket prices that has stopped us. The hotels have great deals and thats perfect, but its the entrance that kills our buzzzzz..Even for a weekend with 5 people it's a lot. (we're about 3 hours away so it has to be a couple days stay for us) not that im complaining...its just more fun to stay a few days rather then a day and come back home ...

BrerGnat
10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Speaking as someone who has lived within EASY driving distance of DisneyLAND, in southern California, for the past 8 years, I can say "not for me!"

I've logged I don't know how many trips to DLR, plus a few to WDW in there as well.

I would say, more than lessen over time, my love for the theme parks has increased, as I get to see and do things that I would never notice or have time for if I only visited every so often. :thumbsup:

ILoveLegos
10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
:)

Imagineer1981
10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
When we lived down there, it never got old, and we basically lived almost on property (off 192). We went there all the time, caught a movie at AMC, or whatever we wanted to do. Plus we worked there and still loved every minute of it!!!

clausjo
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
My family moved here when I was a baby in 1971 and we've gone almost every year that I can remember. I've gone with school trips, performed in the candelight procession, and numerous other wonderful events. Now I get to go all the time with my children and it's still just as wonderful as ever. Now my husband feels a bit differently, but that's another discussion!

Speedy1998
10-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I think the people it would get old for don't bother going anyway.

My aunts and uncles that live down there only went while my cousins were little kids. While most of my cousins are in their 30's now, none of them have gone to Disney since they were teenagers (One actually is a firefighter for the city of Orlando, and he refuses to go).

kbean
10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I live less than two hours away...and I get jealous of you guys that get to come down and stay in the resorts. When you that close, it's tuff to wanna spend big bucks on a package when you can cruise up for a day or two.

But other than that, it doesn't wear off on me. There's alot of people living down here that have never been to Disney and it's always a blast taking them to MK for starters.

GBBT
10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
My family moved here when I was a baby in 1971 and we've gone almost every year that I can remember. I've gone with school trips, performed in the candelight procession, and numerous other wonderful events. Now I get to go all the time with my children and it's still just as wonderful as ever. Now my husband feels a bit differently, but that's another discussion!

And you STILL married him.He should count his lucky stars.My DW didn't want to do WDW ater we married,but after going 10 out of 13 years,she can't wait to go down there.:D:thumbsup:

magicofdisney
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm a pass carrying card member and I STILL LOVE IT after a couple of decades (or more ;)). Now that I'm older and wiser, I can take it slower. It amazes me that I can still have new experiences. There is just so much to see and do and I rarely feel rushed to get it all done. I love being at that place in my Disney life. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
10-15-2009, 12:39 AM
1) I would say there is a change.
2) It doesn't become "old", but you are more accustomed to it.
3) However, there is still excitement.

NOTE: Remember, that familiarity breeds contempt. Although it doesn't get that bad, you do get used to it. Even living in Hawaii, the views became more and more common. Still something to behold, but less striking.

Hayden's Dad
10-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I can't see it ever getting old with us. We'll find out soon. We will be living there in about three weeks. :blush:

blondeinbrandon
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I moved here in '85 to go to college and never left. We go to WDW every couple of months. Even though we are only an hour away I need a room on property because of my spine issues. So we go for long weekends whenever we can.
LOVE it! Never get tired of it! Though my sons are getting older and looking at Universal more and more, so I'm sure those passes are in our future.
Florida is lovely! :cloud9: I am near the most beautiful beaches and so close to WDW. It's not a wonder I never went back up north! :mickey:

hardingella
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
NOT AT ALL!!! :mickey:
we loooove to play at Disney on a Saturday afternoon. :)

How cool is that:cool:

passholderryan
10-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I live in Ft. Lauderdale, so the world is anywhere between 2 1/2 to 3 hours away (depending on traffic). My wife and I go up monthly and stay for 2-3 nights. For us, it naever gets old. The other great thing is I can suprise my wife by saying "Lets go to dinner". 3 hours later, we are dining at some place in World Showcase then watching illuminations. Things are gonna get even better since our first child was born 10 days ago. I can't wait to enjoy his first experiences at the world.
As for the costs, we find its really no different then doing things in South Florida. We have the Florida Resident Seasonal passes, so after the first visit, the other 30-45 days we spend there, admission is free. We have the after 2pm water park passes, which more than pay for themselves. And we can always fond great deals on site. Its funny when we call, and at fitrst they think we are kidding when we tell them we've been there over 100 times, then I guess they see it in the computer system. Well gotta go make some resi's!!!:mickey::mickey:

prprincess
10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I think the people it would get old for don't bother going anyway.Agreed! My aunt and three sets of my cousins moved to Orlando over 10 years ago. It amazes me that my aunt and two of my cousins HAVE NEVER set foot in any of the Disney parks since they've moved there, and the other has only been a handful of times. Why? They say they just don't like theme parks, have no interest in going to any of them at all (not only Disney), and that the theme parks there are just a nuisance to them.

It's just strange to me because if it wasn't for WDW, I would proably have NEVER gone to Orlando, and it really is probably the ONLY reason why I'd want to move there!

BMan62
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I live in Ft. Lauderdale, so the world is anywhere between 2 1/2 to 3 hours away (depending on traffic). My wife and I go up monthly and stay for 2-3 nights. For us, it naever gets old. The other great thing is I can suprise my wife by saying "Lets go to dinner". 3 hours later, we are dining at some place in World Showcase then watching illuminations. Things are gonna get even better since our first child was born 10 days ago. I can't wait to enjoy his first experiences at the world.
As for the costs, we find its really no different then doing things in South Florida. We have the Florida Resident Seasonal passes, so after the first visit, the other 30-45 days we spend there, admission is free. We have the after 2pm water park passes, which more than pay for themselves. And we can always fond great deals on site. Its funny when we call, and at fitrst they think we are kidding when we tell them we've been there over 100 times, then I guess they see it in the computer system. Well gotta go make some resi's!!!:mickey::mickey:

Congrats on the new mouseketeer!!

joanna71985
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I can't see it ever getting old with us. We'll find out soon. We will be living there in about three weeks. :blush:

Awsome! Maybe I will get to meet you down here.

Melanie
10-18-2009, 05:33 AM
We've lived here about 3 months now, and I still can't believe we can be on property about an hour after we leave our house. Amazing!

I've done a lot of Disney travel (not just WDW) in the last five years, and it doesn't get old for me. Like someone mentioned, you do get a bit more accustomed to it, but it's still exciting!

I agree with whoever posted that it's kinda a bummer when you have to go home though and everyone else is headed back to their resort hotel. ;)

Daisy'sMom
10-18-2009, 05:19 PM
We go every chance we get. We just spent a week there the last week of Sept and went back and spent yesterday at MK.
Renewed our annual passes and glad we did. Three extra months means many more visits.
We are going back 11/14 for the day and then heading over for a few days Thanskgiving weekend.
It is sad when we are heading home and everyone else is headed for their resort. Something about waking up with the magic.
It always is wondeful for us.:mickey:

ibrowse17
10-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Having grown up in Florida, I can say the magic never wore off for me. As an adult living in another state, the "want" to be at Disney is as strong as ever:thumbsup:

Ten of Hearts
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
I was born in FL and have lived here most of my life. Remember when I was 9 or 10 and Disney World had just opened. I first went when I was 12 and was just GIDDY with excitement.
Have been to WDW- Epcot or MK- about 8 times now and look forward to more trips!

malip
10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
We have lived within an hour of the parks for a long time and have had ap's off and on. When we start to feel that the "World" is losing its luster for us, we just take a break and do other things. What we find out is that it doesn't take long before we are missing wdw and everything about it. Just renewed ap's in August after a nine month break and are so glad to be back. We have ap's to the "other" theme park up the road, but it can't hold a candle to the most magical place on earth.

sagitarius
10-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I myself have gotten sick of Disney world. It has, for me, been on a downward progression. I was the proud owner of an annual pass for 5 years. That ended 2 years ago when I started to see the decline in magic. The imagineering that the foundations are all built on is taking a back seat to profiteering and business suits.

Maybe someday there will be a revolution in decision making, but the golden age of WDW is gone to history.

pox24
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Never... we are DVC members and drive up.. (about 21/2 hrs.) at least 4 to 5 times a year usually for 3-4 days at a time. We never get bored. This year I got a DVC golf membership and will return just to play on Nov. 19th. There were some trips when we never visited any parks, just sat by the pool, hotel hopped, shopped and tried new places to eat. We love the special events... ESPN Week end, Food and Wine Festival, International Flower and Garden Show, Miracle Childrens Network PGA golf etc. Next year we 're gonna dive with the dolphins at Nemo and Friends ( our kids think we are too old for this one),and do the behind the scenes tours of the parks.