PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Iphone Apps for WDW?

wgbuck
10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
We're headed down to WDW next week for a much needed vacation, ... and I've just started to do some searching for helpful Iphone apps. So far I've found the following, but would be interested to hear of others, ...

1. WDW wait times - this app relies on Iphone users to report wait times, so that others with the app can see estimated wait times on different attractions.

2. MagicMap - this app is an Iphone map of the Magic Kingdom allowing you to search and find attractions. It also utilizes GPS to map your current location while you're in the park

Others????

Twinkletoes77705
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I just got Mouse Memo...good...but I found better...WDW maps box set. It has all the maps...plus menue's and what not to all the dinning...and has list of park hours and EMH and parades etc. Oh Oh...and you can flag and mark importance...and them check off once you have done...I love it. i am going to get the Walt Disney world secrets just to do while waiting and on bus...etc...just trivia and hidden Mickeys and what nots! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
We're trying to keep all discussion on Iphone apps in our new Disney Tech forum. I'm moving this thread there now.

ElenitaB
10-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I tried out several apps during our last visit. If you haven't visited often, you may find a Map application to be useful.

There are several apps that intend to be general guides... I haven't found any that combines utility with an attractive and easy to use interface.

There are also multiple apps that intend to indicate wait times. Unfortunately, they all depend on "volunteer input." If there's no one in the parks that day, inputting current times, the apps, while fun, are not helpful. Personally, I'm hoping that WDW itself will create an app along those same lines, that taps into the same database that feeds the info boards in each park. Of the "wait time" apps, I think the best of the bunch are the four "Wait Watchers" apps (one for each park).

My other fav WDW apps? There's one for Dining. one called WDW Secrets and WDWTrivia (a fun way to pass time anywhere).

Patricia
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
I have the upinpoint park maps boxed set, although it wasn't boxed way back then.

I think the Notecast WDW Secrets Gold is a fun app to use at home and in the parks. The Hidden Mickey's section makes it that much more fun in the parks and eliminates the need for extra Hidden Mickey apps.

If you were not good with the WDW transportation options there is an app for that as well, it could be helpful to newbies without cars.

I can't recommend a wait time app. The more apps there are for this the less likely they will ever work well. Perhaps when more carriers have the iPhone the user groups will increase enough to make them work better. I'm all for Disney having their own wait app as it would be more reliable. Till then I'll check the in park boards.

The Disney game apps, such as Toy Story Mania, Magic Mirror, All Star Character Cards, Fireworks, etc. could be a handy distraction in a long queue or on a boring airplane ride.

WDWfanatic742
10-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Like it's been said above, there really hasn't been one concrete site or app that I've seen that has the type of user base that can list wait times on a consistent basis. If Universal Orlando can show the wait times for rides and also many other things like dining in their parks here (http://66.77.171.132/MobileWeb/ParkMenu.aspx), Disney certainly has that type of ability...

wgbuck
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Just got back from our trip, and wanted to report that the wait time app was fairly reliable. I'd say that it was accurate within 5 minutes almost every time.

Of course, it will be better when Disney comes out with their own app that links up to their system. While we're waiting on that, ... this app worked well.

Also, ... wouldn't it be nice if Disney created an app that pushed out the weeks showtimes, etc. to Iphones? You know, all the stuff listed on those white cards (i.e. showtimes, parade times, firework times, etc.).