PDA

View Full Version : Hiding an object in the parks

Goofy_Guy
10-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Has anyone ever hidden an object in the park for a family member or friend to find later? Sort of a Disney geocashing? I ask because for the second year in a row I am going to be leaving Disney to return home a day before some friends of mine are arriving at the World. I thought it would be kinda cool to try to hide something for them to find on their first day/night in the parks. What do you think?

BIGDOG
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM
I would tell your friends to look at the lost and found because a CM is sure to find it first.

NotaGeek
10-14-2009, 02:41 AM
I am sure its against the rules ... how about you surprise your friends with something to be given to them at check in?

DawsonAR
10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
We have hidden a dollar bill on Tom Sawyer Island and it was there on our next trip. We have one hidden there now too. I can't wait to see if anyone has found it yet.

stitchaholic
10-14-2009, 06:29 AM
i have never done it,but it sounds like a fun adventure... we will be looking for that dollar in jan :)

Ruprect
10-14-2009, 07:44 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying it but I would be careful with what you leave behind. We don't need to see stories of MK being emptied due to a "suspicious package" being found!

In other words no older tire pressure monitors.

Lakin
10-14-2009, 07:45 AM
We have hidden a dollar bill on Tom Sawyer Island and it was there on our next trip. We have one hidden there now too. I can't wait to see if anyone has found it yet.

That's so cool! It just shows you how some people brush by the little details. Unfortunately, I don't go on Tom Sawyer Island. But thanks for telling the rest of intercot - now it's doomed to be gone by the time you go back! ;)

I'm too cheap to do something that cool, though. :blush:

DawsonAR
10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
That's so cool! It just shows you how some people brush by the little details. Unfortunately, I don't go on Tom Sawyer Island. But thanks for telling the rest of intercot - now it's doomed to be gone by the time you go back! ;)

I'm too cheap to do something that cool, though. :blush:

We are headed back November 19th. I will have to let you know if someone has found it or not. If they have.....there will be another one somewhere else. We have done this for the past three years and it has been found only once. Just something fun to look for on the next trip.

Black Jack Shallack from Frontenac
10-14-2009, 10:16 AM
How about putting it in a GeoCache near Disney?
There are plenty around.

Frog
10-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Love the idea of hidding a dollor bill at tsi...
how cool!!

Melanie
10-14-2009, 11:10 AM
One of my dearest INTERCOT friends did this for my sons, but it was at a resort.

mom2mickeyfan
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
This isn't something special that you can leave for someone you know but for anyone that knows about letterboxing, there is a letterbox in MK. I really know little about it but have a family member that does and found it this past summer. You can search for letterboxing online and find the clues to find it. They are done like treasure hunts. They don't tell you exactly where they are, just give you clues. Seems like something fun to do with an older child but our DS is only 3 and isn't old enough yet to really get into "treasure hunting".

Wadeace
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
i would be apprehensive about hiding something in the park, especially in this post 9/11 world we live in. also disney CMs are pretty aggressive about removing non show objects over night. the best example of this is to place a penny on the ground next to a bench or on a planter and you go in the next day, it will be gone.

if you want to surprise some one the best thin i would suggest ask the hotel to hand it over the your friend when they check in, or got to guest relations in the park, and explain your situation and see if they could hold on to it and hand it over when your friend goes to the park give them the GPS coordinates to the guest relations desk.

faline
10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
One of my dearest INTERCOT friends did this for my sons, but it was at a resort.

I remember that, Mel! In fact, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this post!

magicofdisney
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Some women from my family (we do a mom's get-away once in a while) hid an object in our hotel room to see if it will be there each year we go back. Here we were thinking we're super cool coming up with this idea. ;)

Greenlawler
10-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying it but I would be careful with what you leave behind. We don't need to see stories of MK being emptied due to a "suspicious package" being found!

In other words no older tire pressure monitors.

Not that its not a good idea the dollar bill thing sounds harmless and fun. But I was in the parks three weeks ago when someone left a bag outside of AK. The area was closed off even though it seemed obvious the bag was left on accident. I was there waiting for characters during the whole affair which lasted about 35 miutes as a bomb sniffing dog was called in.

brownie
10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
We did some geocaching for the first time yesterday. The friends we went with said there are geocaches in the Disney Parks, although it surprises me Disney would allow this.

I don't think it's such a good idea to leave things hidden for others to find. Sending a surprise from the WDW Florist or leaving a note for them at their resort seems like a much better idea to me.

grumpyguy
10-19-2009, 08:02 AM
well,we didn't exactly hide something...
my story refers to my first visit to wdw with my son back in yr 2000.
at our resort we found one single little green army man on the ground.i thought some little boy must have dropped him and may be looking for him.my son and i picked up the army man and placed on top of a light fixture (in plain vision)near our elevator.i told my son that if the army man was still there when we went to check out,he could come home with us.we had alot of fun looking forward to seeing him on his pearch every morning and every night.
low and behold when went to leave 5 days later on our last trip down the elevator, the little green army man was still on the light fixture and he came home with us..
through the years my sons bedroom has changed themes plenty of times but the little green army man remains at his post prominately on a shelf in his room in plain sight.i have heard my son (now 21 yrs old)tell this story to his friends plenty of times and always makes my day.another example of disney,period.:mickey:

coneygoil
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Another family we went to WDW with a few years ago had left an old key under the overhang of the stave church in Norway. We didn't find it when we all searched for it, so someone must have found it!