PDA

View Full Version : Kali River Rapids?

Mrs Bus Driver
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I know DH would love this ride but will also want to leave if he gets soaked. So what do you do to stay dry? :mickey:

Wadeace
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
you could try a poncho, but nature finds a way.

what i would suggest is a change of clothes. this is the only way i have found to prevent chaffing and uncomfortableness. back a bag with shorts and a shirt and some plastic bag to put the wet clothes into. during the heat i would just walk around wet and cool, but in winter change the clothes, or skip the ride. i get cold...

i have to say ive never found success with the ponchos but than again it could be user error for me. i am a big guy, and so coverage could be an issue next time i might try a tarp.

Gregandmel
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
It's really one of those rides where it's the "luck of the draw" on where you sit as to how wet you will/might get. I wore one of those ponchos and kept my feet off the floor when we were going through the rapids and water would gush in. I would maybe save it for the last ride of the day - that way - if he DOES get soaked, you'll be leaving anyway.

LoriSan
10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I wear a poncho and keep my feet up on the bar. I usually take off my socks and tuck them away, just in case. I hate wet socks!

I've never gotten totally drenched that way.

DVC2004
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Bring extra clothes AND wear a poncho and flip flops or sandals with no socks. I hate walking around in wet clothes and having a "wet behind" (pardon me) all day! And, no matter what, I am always the "lucky" one who gets soaked. Bring a plastic bag to throw your wet clothes in if you do bring dry ones to change into.

pox24
10-12-2009, 04:08 PM
You can't stay dry. Most expensive ride at WDW. Had to buy whole family dry clothes first and only time we rode. Very smart to put a store right outside the exit.

EJS-Houston
10-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Find a dollar store and just buy a couple of cheap ponchos, the kind that fold down into a miniscule package that's easily stored in a purse or backpack. Just have that available for Kali and for Splash Mountain and you're fully prepared.

Pop Centurion
10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
My girlfriend wore a poncho once and still got soaked. :laughing:

We usually wait until we're ready to leave the park. This way we're not walking around the rest of the day all soggy. Unless the heat is unbearable and we absolutely need to cool off.

disneycutie165
10-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I suggest riding it at the end of your day. Work your way to the Asia part of AK last so you won't have to walk all the way back to Asia. I would ride it at the end of the day and bring an extra pair of clothes if you don't want to go back to the hotel. I've never actually ridden this but that is what we do here in my hometown. We have Busch Gardens Europe up here in Wmsbrg and the Roman Rapids is always our last ride of the day. So I just suggest riding it at the end of your day! Because don't worry- I know. You don't want to have to listen to your husband whine. My boyfriend & I rode Roman Rapids at BG first and he was whining all day long!:angry:

BluewaterBrad
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Whenever I wear a poncho I stay dry.:mickey:

phillydan
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Cheap ponchos from the dollar store will offer some protection, but it is the luck of the draw. My daughters used this option and they still got pretty wet. I went twice in a row - first time, nothing; second time, drenched.

I packed a change of clothes and a small towel in a back pack. I was able to keep the back pack in the center storage area and it was dry. I changed into dry clothes in the bathroom right outside the exit. They have lockers at the main entrance, so I dumped the bag there for the day so that I did not have to carry around wet clothes. It worked out OK.

elmjimmlm
10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I am the "get soaked no matter who is riding and where I am facing on the drop , If you sit beside me you will get wet magnet"...I have used ponchos and they do work but I would also take a towel...We rode in August and I didn't have a poncho on one time and I walked around sloshing all day, even in the heat...I had to buy a towel to try and soak up some of the water from my clothes and even used a hand dryer in the ladies room (but I love my AK beach towel)...If you ride and don't want to be walking around miserable all day then buy a good Mickey poncho from any store...(the cheap ones don't keep you as dry)...:secret:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I can't remember if they have the water cannons like they do at a certain other Orlando theme park, but those things are F-U-N, and they pretty much make sure nobody gets through without getting wet.

I LOVED shooting those water cannons at people at that other area theme park!

Captain_Nemo
10-12-2009, 10:55 PM
take your chances, I suggest you DO NOT put your cell phone in the "water tight" compartment as we,and everyone else in the raft, opened it and found phones sitting in water. It is luck as stated before, I have been on it twice, once I got soaked, then a few years later I went on and got off completely dry well the 2 guests across from me were drenched. I don't think Pancho's would help as only some of the water actually pours on you from above, alot of it comes over the edge of the boat, only think that would keep you dry there if its your "turn" is rubber pants lol. think of it as a game of Russian roulette, but with 2-6 odds.

DisneyFr33k
10-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Our first time on it, we didn't know any better and got SOAKED! It was so bad that we went again - why not as we were already wet?! We were so wet, we attracted attention to ourselves as we left the park. And, we had miserably wet sneakers to dry with our hair dryer that night.

The second time, my DH and I let the kids go alone - but in bathing suits we packed in our bag. They changed back into their regular clothes after they got their fill of the ride.

Good luck!!

azcavalier
10-13-2009, 09:03 AM
We wear UnderArmour or Nike DriFit type shirts/shorts that are supposed to dry out fast, and we just carried sandals or flip flops in a backpack with us. Before the ride we took off our socks and shoes, left them in the backpack, and when we came off, we were wet, but had dry socks and shoes. Our clothes dried out fast enough to keep us pretty comfortable. DON'T wear denim on this ride unless you're saving it for the end of the day.

Stu29573
10-13-2009, 09:15 AM
It's very much "luck of the draw." The thing that drenched us last time (as in "there's no way a poncho would have helped") was an underwater cannon that shoots up at random at the top of the hill. Imagine a reverse waterfall crashing over your head and you have the general idea. Of course it was HOT that day, so we loved it! By the way, yes, they have the guest operated cannons at the end of the ride, but they just shoot a stream, not a gush...

5togetherWDW
10-13-2009, 09:30 AM
We have found that the level of "soaked" depends a lot on the weather. In the summer, we've found that at least half the people on a raft get very wet, with one or two "soaked." In the winter, we have ridden with no-one on the raft getting more than damp. From our experience, any sort of poncho will keep you plenty dry on cool days.
In the winter, I tend to wrap a poncho around my bottom like a towel - to keep my seat dry and protect my camera (which I keep in my pocket).
On hot summer days, I always bring a full change of clothes - just in case.
My son likes to watch two or three rafts exit before getting on. You can stand on the bridge area and see quite well. If the riders look only damp, we all get on "as is". If they are looking like the water is on full force -- he adds a poncho, or skips the ride.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Save it for the end of the day....then it doesn't matter if you get soaked and need to leave and by the way, you will get soaked.....

Dragongirlx
10-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I tend to wear canvas shorts that will dry out quickly and maybe bring a change of top with me just in case. However the last couple of times I rode it I only got soaked down one side and I dried out pretty quick - depends what time of year you go and how hot it is

Imagineer1981
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Best I can say is good luck...you're gonna need it!!!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Think I will give ponchos a try but I am a plus size and DH is very tall so I don't think cheep ones will do. Where is the best place to get a large size poncho? Also thinking about wearing my crocs that day and bringing some kind of flip flop for hubby. :mickey:

A Big Kid
10-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Road it once. It was an unimpressive as it was short. Getting wet made me certain I would never ride it again.

TheVBs
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
We just rode it at the end of the day and left the park afterwards. :mickey:

DizneyDoug
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
You'll either get soaked or nothing....... no inbetween. But go on and have fun!!!

kemps@wdw
10-13-2009, 11:40 PM
The only way to not get wet is not to ride! Poncho or no poncho, you're gonna get either a little wet or a LOT wet. So, just embrace the wetness and let your inner "want to get wet" child out and enjoy! :D (We always ride KRR last and then head back to our resort)

smartees11
10-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I know DH would love this ride but will also want to leave if he gets soaked. So what do you do to stay dry? :mickey:

After going on this ride once and getting absolutely drenched(and being miserable the ENTIRE day), I have discovered the best way to not get wet.

Don't go on.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
If you wear a poncho, make sure to tuck it in under your tushie and when you go down the hill, have the hood up and tuck your head down, that way the water doesn't go into the neck of the poncho.

WVParkfan
10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
We love Kali, and we ride it every time. My wife always gets wet, and I've never even had a drop of water on me! I've probably been down that river 6 or 7 times, and haven't gotten wet yet.

#1 Rent a locker (to the left of the AK entrance). Take a change of clothes and put them in there. Cost of a locker is $7 for the entire day. If you park-hop, then you can take your receipt to the next park and get a locker there for no cost. You only pay once per day.

#2 Save Kali for the end of the day, when you know you won't be riding anything else.

#3 If you do get wet, walk back to the locker and get your dry clothes for the ride home. The locker is next to the exit, and will save you the trouble of walking back through the park if you wait until the end of the day to ride Kali.

Have fun! We love KRR.

Giggy
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Normally I ride it early on and just wear light-weight clothing. If I get wet then I'll dry soon enough, the sun will make sure of that. :mickey:

In fairness I seem to have a good winning strek with water rides, I rarely get very wet on them. My mum is the exact opposite, whenever she goes on a water ride, Kali in particular, she will get absolutely soaked.

RBrooksC
10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Hello? The point of the rapid rides is TO GET WET. Period. End of sentence. These rides have been in existence since the early 80s. It is no secret what happens on these rides. To put on a poncho or, God forbid, a black trash bag, is to miss the whole point of the ride.

Don't like to get wet? Don't go on it. Plain and simple.

I would be embarrassed to get on the ride with people dressed in ponchos lest people lump me in with those sots.

WVParkfan
10-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Pretty harsh response there, RBrooksC.

RBrooksC
10-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Pretty harsh response there, RBrooksC.

Maybe but this has been a pet peeve of mine for years. To go to an amusement park and wear plastic to go on a ride whose concept is for the rider to get completely soaked is ridiculous, at best.

What I said in this post is consistent to what I say in conversations with my friends. To read in a guidebook (especially The Unofficial Guide) people who say "Warn your Readers! You will get soaked on this ride. I can't believe you didn't stress how wet you will get. It ruined our whole day." is disingenuous. As I said, this ride has been around for years and the concept is pretty well-known.

The experience of the ride is a "white-water adventure." In that vein, you will experience heavy rapids that will produce splashes, plus water falls and other things that help a ride get wet or soaked.

When I ride this ride, I plan accordingly. But if you know that getting soaked will mean you have a bad day, then don't go on it.

I love Mission: Space but if I feel that the motion sickness I will experience will ruin my day, I won't ride it. I love extreme coasters, but the coaster in Hershey Park that is a vertical lift coaster I didn't ride because I don't like the feeling of being on my back like that.

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM

This ride is hit or miss, and it all varies depending on which side you're sitting on when the raft goes down the drop (keeping in mind the raft CAN spin while doing so). I've come off this ride dry and I've come off soaked. If you're really concerned about it, wear a poncho. To be honest, however, depending on the weight of the boat and where you are during the big splash, even that might not save you.

Jeri Lynn
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I am a poncho wearing Sot and proud of it! I know it is a water ride just as I know that Splash Mountain is a water ride, I know that there is a great chance I will get wet, soaked, drenched or otherwise, and I do not mind that is the chance I take. However, I do like to enjoy my stay at the park and don't want to do it wet, therefore I wear a poncho, have for years and had a ball. I tuck the poncho in the best I can but still usually get somewhat wet. I put my feet up on the bars, sometimes they stay dry, sometimes they don't...I pack extra socks if I am not wearing sandals. Getting wet is not as bad in the warmer weather than it is in the cooler weather. The water factor is not the only thing these rides offer, I like the theming and scenery also.

Plan to get wet, have fun, enjoy, Long Live the Poncho wearers!!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Hello? The point of the rapid rides is TO GET WET. Period. End of sentence. These rides have been in existence since the early 80s. It is no secret what happens on these rides. To put on a poncho or, God forbid, a black trash bag, is to miss the whole point of the ride.

Don't like to get wet? Don't go on it. Plain and simple.

I would be embarrassed to get on the ride with people dressed in ponchos lest people lump me in with those sots.
I have ridden this ride many times without a poncho. Last time I was there DD and I rode 4 times until we were completely soaked. I simply wanted my DH to experience this ride. He loves thrill rides and I know he would like this one. As this may be his only trip to the world I wouldn't want him to miss it. As for anyone wearing a poncho you are welcome to sit in my raft anytime even if I'm not wearing one. :mickey: