PDA

View Full Version : Any Marathon Runners here?

weswerx
10-12-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm thinking about running my first marathon on Feb. 28th in New Orleans. I really want to do the full marathon and complete it. I'm not looking to break any records, I just want to finish the run. :walk:
So, any words of advice or encouragement?
Any special training tips?
As of this time, I do not know the actual route, so I have no idea about the types of hills involved.
I'm just excited and looking forward to this marathon. :stitch:

:thanks:

weswerx
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok, after looking at my current times, I am starting to think I should start off with the half marathon.
Anybody want to run with me? It's in New Orleans :mickey:

teambricker04
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi! I don't have many tips... yet :)

After seeing my DH run the WDW Marathon in Jan and seeing all the other runners, I have mustered up the courage to become a runner. I am going to do a half marathon next May in LaCrosse WI. My stipulation for DH was that I would run, but we would have to raise money for an Autism related organization of his choosing. We have everything lined up, now for the actual running!

You can do it... just put your mind to it!!!!

weswerx
10-13-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm glad somebody around here still runs. And that is a great idea to support a local autism group. I also wish you the best during your run.
Now, I've got to get to sleep so I can get up at 5 am to go running. I am going to do this and I am going to be commited to this.
I will avoid running to the other end of our street because I actually got bit by a neighbor's dog today. It didn't break the skin or anything and it was more of a scratch, but the dogs are usually inside the gate. Oh well, it's all good.:thumbsup:

rubato
10-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Congrats are your decision! I am running my first 1/2 in April on my 40th birthday! I'm super excited. I've got a 10 week training plan already worked up. And, I'll be returning from a week at WDW just in time to start that training. I'm normally a 3-5 mile runner just to stay in shape, so I think it'll be a good challenge. And, I don't have huge goals. I would like to finish in 2 hours. Good luck with your training. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
10-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I have run 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon! I am not in great shape or anything, but I do the Galloway Method- combination of running and walking intervals.

I have run the Disney World Marathon, Disney's Princess Half Marathon, and the Disneyland Half Marathon, as well as Rock n Roll Half Marathon in San Antonio. I enjoy half marathons quite a bit.

The only advice I can give you is to take it one mile at a time do not get discouraged if it takes you longer than you want.

Remember, you are making personal history!

teambricker04
10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
It is great to hear from other runners! I haven't been doing too well recently... I am not sure if it is a physical hurdle as much as it is mental. I just keep thinking that it is one steps at a time.

I am in this for the long haul! :)

weswerx... a dog bit you!?!?! OUCH! We have moved quite a few times, and in some places (mostly Denver and Indy for some reason) you see people walking and running holding sticks to ward off strange animals. And I am not talking in the wilderness... in the middle of the city! In Chicago the worst things I have to deal with are cars!