PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it's actually happening Pre-Trip Report

Dopey's Girl
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
First the Intros.

I'm Meg (30 something), I have fallen in love with WDW over and over again, and finally got me an AP this year. I have made multiple trips each year for the past 5 years, but have always wanted to see Walt's Park.

My Mom (no way she'd let me tell you her age!), not as much of a Disney fan as I am, but she's always ready for a vacation. We travel very well together!

My Aunt Terry (mom's sister...again, no ages), we took many trips with her to WDW as kids. Likes Disney, but loves to travel, so she was all in from the get go!

When/Where: October 16-21 @ the Disneyland Hotel! (Thanks Wendy!)

I have always dreamed of seeing the original Magic Kingdom. As much as I love, love WDW, I just had to see the original. We have talked about going for years, but I just never thought it would happen. Until Feb of this year. Mom had some American Airlines gift cards to use up, so she told me to look at prices to Cali. The rate was low, so we booked! Called Terry, she did the same, so it's off to DLR we go!

I was prepared for a stay at one of the Good Neighbors, but Wendy from MJ emailed in August with a deal so we actually get to stay in a Disney hotel! I'm so happy!

The 'Plan': Ok, her is my shocking confession...I'm not a planner. I know many people here love to plan all your days out. I hate that...can't do it. I just can't. So we don't have much of a plan. I know we are going to Santa Monica (I have to see that pier with my own eyes, and I really have to put at least a toe in the Pacific), the San Diego Zoo and we have 3 day Disneyland passes. The only real plan is to avoid the parks over the weekends...other than that we are all really go with the flow.

Now having said that, if anyone has suggestions, I'm more than open. This is the first time in a Disney park in a long time, where I'm going to need a map!

I will have my laptop with me, and I'm planning on doing live reports. All in all, I'm just really excited to get to see the parks.

Thanks for reading!

Meg :mickey:

EllieMae
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
You should really try to eat at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland, its located inside the Pirates ride and the food is great!

NotaGeek
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
How fun! There's tons of hints and tips in the vacation planning thread from previous posters questions ... since you are in the DLH, try breakfast at Steakhouse 55 -- they have the best breakfast at the Resort, and its a wonderful more adult ambiance I bet you guys will like. Their dinner is also magnificent, albeit a bit spendy -- totally worth it for the food though. If you have any specific questions we will all jump at helping. Have fun! :mickey:

Magic Smiles
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
I look forward to reading your trip reports. I still have 4 days of trips reports to finish from our first visit to Disneyland. Hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. We ate at the Blue Bayou. Food was good, but I am not sure if we would eat there again as it was expensive considering you could not even enjoy an alcoholic drink with your meal. Paying all that money for the meal and drinking pop with it just didn't seem right.
We went to the Santa Monica Pier. Hope that you are not disappointed when you put that toe of yours into the Pacific Ocean:secret:

Melanie
10-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I remember how totally excited I was my first trip to Disneyland. You're going to love it! So glad you are able to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for your first trip. Just perfect! Anxious to read your reports. :mickey:

tinkwest
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
There are quite a few closures at Disneyland right now, but still enough fun to keep you busy! Don't miss the holiday version of the Haunted Mansion. And be sure to visit the Blue Sky Cellar at DCA.

I agree with Michael that breakfast is very special at Steakhouse 55, conveniently located at the DLH.

Dopey's Girl
10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
[quote=tinkwest;1971383]There are quite a few closures at Disneyland right now, but still enough fun to keep you busy! quote]

Isn't that just another excuse to go back?! That's my thinking!!!:blush:

FRANKTASMIC
10-14-2009, 10:48 AM
:mickey:You have to ride Indiana Jones, there is nothing like this in WDW and you will just love it. Hope you enjoy your first time in the park, You will want to come back:cloud9:

2Epcot
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Well you should be starting your stay today, but since you have your laptop I'll give you some more advice. The new Halloween Scream Fireworks show is amazing, but it is best viewed from in front of the castle and if you can, standing slightly to the left of the castle.

You don't want to miss Disneyland's version of Fantasmic (much better than WDW's version). If you go to the early Fantasmic (9pm) you will not be able to get back to Main Street to have a good view of the fireworks. My suggestion if you are trying to see both in a single day is to watch the fireworks first. Then head through Frontierland to see the 10:30 Fantasmic (the second show). You will also find much better viewing spots without having to wait for hours.

Also on some night they have been doing 3 Fantasmic shows with a show at 11:30pm. The later shows always have better viewing areas because there are fewer people.

If you like Space Mountain at WDW then Disneyland's version will be a vast improvement. Also for the first time they are doing Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. This has been done in Hong Kong, but this is the first year at Disneyland.

Have fun! :mickey: