PDA

View Full Version : Epic Mickey

wire0monkey
10-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Disney has a new steampunk game based on forgotten characters and rides coming out for the WII. The name of the game is "Epic Mickey" and it's an adult game.

Some news was leaked/released last week. One of the rumors is that MIckey will get a makeover in the art, with a more retro face.

Game Informer, as part of their epic Epic Mickey coverage, reconfirm that the game is a Wii "exclusive." Given that the game appears to feature a mechanic that's reliant on motion control, rumored to let Mickey Mouse paint and erase the environment, how could it possibly come to anything else?

Patricia
10-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like it could be interesting.. :secret:

Patricia
10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Lot's of news coming out for Epic Mickey. You can also pre-order the game through Disney's website now saving $5.00. There is no rating yet and it's scheduled to be released in the fall of 2010.

Some plot details have been making their way around the internet and most lead to this scenario, posted on Eurogamer:

Epic Mickey is a tale about the 'forgotten' Disney stars: the rides, the characters, the lesser-known cartoons. When nobody any longer cares, they are cast into a dark void; a forgotten world of broken machines and bitter personalities - a bit like Sid's bedroom in Toy Story, but without the friendly furnishings.

This forgotten world is run by Oswald the Rabbit. He was Disney's first creation, made long before Mickey Mouse, and his jealousy of the newcomer has fermented for years. Now, finally, Oswald is ready for revenge.

He unleashes The Phantom Blot to wipe out Mickey and his cartoon world. The Blot pollutes the Disney universe with sticky black ink that makes colours run and fade (as seen on the Game Informer cover), so it's up to Mickey to restore peace and order. And this is where his tools come in.

Mickey has to draw and scribble his way through levels, mending broken bridges by applying the right colour paint or peering through walls after applying thinner. He can even clear rubble from his path by erasing parts of the world.The November edition of Game Informer Magazine has an extensive article filled with pics and interviews.

The game art is the front cover of Game Informer's November edition, which is probably out now as I've seen the articles scanned online.

Note: If you look closely at the picture I posted of Mickey in front of the Haunted Mansion. follow the path he is on up to the gate, look to the right and you can see Oswald peeking out from behind it.

Personally, I find these newest pics hauntingly familiar... Spatters or Evil Dolls? You decide.
:thedolls:

WDWfanatic742
10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Definately Evil Dolls :D

IamBelle
10-28-2009, 06:58 AM
This looks really interesting!! I read in Game Informer that the player gets to choose what Mickey does, therefore, Mickey can be either Hero Mickey or "The Scrapper", which is a darker side to him.
It is a really cool story line, I like how they are incorporating the parks into it with forgotten rides and such, maybe Mr. Toad??

Patricia
11-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Toad is still rippin' up the streets in Disneyland but if IASW can make it into the game, anything (possibly) goes.

Patricia
11-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Game review posted on Video Gamer:

Warren Spector wants to make Mickey Mouse cool again, and he wants to do it on the Wii. The more sceptical may think this is a near impossible goal - but if anyone can do it, Spector can. This is the man who helped create System Shock, Deus Ex and the Thief series; his games often defy easy classification, but they always offer something remarkably new. He's an ideas man, but his innovations never come at the price of gameplay. In short, he's the perfect guy to re-launch a pop culture icon.

Whatever your opinion of Disney and its Mouse, few people would deny that Junction Point Studios' Epic Mickey has a great premise: For reasons that have yet to be revealed, the celebrity rodent finds himself kidnapped and transported to a cartoon wasteland - a sort of existentialist waiting room for Walt Disney's forgotten creations. Discarded 'toons must live here until they're called back into service, but it seems something has gone awry. Some kind of dark force has spread across the land, leaving the world in ruins - and it subsequently turns out that Mickey himself is partly to blame.

As if this situation wasn't bad enough, Mickey also has to deal with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Unless you're a massive animation buff, you probably won't know about Oswald: he was created when Walt Disney was working at Universal in 1927, and he might well have become world famous had Walt not been fired over a contract dispute. Today he's virtually unknown, and years of bitterness have caused him to build up quite an attitude towards Mickey - the successor who grabbed all the fame. Oswald isn't exactly the villain of the game, but neither is he your best mate. He's a troubled soul, and he may cause you a few hassles, but according to Warren, he can also be redeemed.

All of this paints a rather intriguing backdrop for a hybrid RPG-adventure-platformer. From the footage shown at last week's showcase, it looks like you'll mostly be roaming around large and fairly open 3D levels, taking on quests for NPCs that can be resolved in different ways. There's a morality system of sorts, but rather than determining whether you are good or evil it looks at whether Mickey is heroic or "a scrapper" - an aggressive, mischievous rebel who gets into fights. You might think that such behaviour is somewhat atypical for Mickey, but Spector says that the idea is to get back in touch with the character's trouble-making side, the personality that typified his earliest cartoons.

Whether you choose to play as a hero, a scrapper, or some kind of mix between the two, you'll have to get to grips with the game's Paint and Thinner system. In a nutshell, the player has the ability to dynamically destroy and rebuild the environment. According to Spector, most of the game's scenery items and inhabitants will be have a puffy "marshmallow" quality that indicates that they're a cartoon; anything that's a 'toon can be erased with your thinner, and if you subsequently change your mind you can choose to bring the item or creature back by painting it back. Both processes involve you "painting" your target with the Wii Remote, and you've got a limited amount of power behind each action.

Paint thinner is essentially your primary weapon. What with this being a Disney game, you don't actually kill anything, you just erase it from existence (wow, that's so much better!). However, you'll also need to use this power to move through the environment. If you need to cross a chasm, you might paint back part of a destroyed bridge: just slosh some paint over the gap, and the platform will magically appear. Conversely, you might come across a large object that blocks your way (Spector's example was a large bookcase), and in order to move on you'll have to remove it from the world.

Continued below..

Patricia
11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Continued...

Of course, some of your fellow 'toons won't be too pleased if you run around destroying everything. There's always the option to re-paint obstacles once you've passed through them, but naturally doing this puts a drain on your resources. This creation versus destruction theme will play a big part in determining Mickey's character. If you take the time to help people out and to restore the structures you damage, NPC characters will trust and assist you - perhaps opening up areas you wouldn't otherwise see. Play more aggressively and you'll end up a lonely character - but you'll also be a paint-thinning force to be reckoned with.

I've only seen snippets of the game in action, but the locations shown so far suggest an interesting array of environments - many of which culled from well-known Disney cartoons. One 2D platform level has Mickey leaping over giant cogs and gears inside a huge timepiece - a setting based on the classic short "Clock Cleaners". Elsewhere you'll find characters from vintage 1930s Disney shorts, and even a few never seen before. This latter category will include The Gremlins - a set of monsters that Disney co-created with Roald Dahl; there was supposed to be a big film about them, but for some reason it never happened.
Clearly this game will appeal if you're a long-term Disney fanatic, but the sheer weirdness and darker-than-normal tone may also draw gamers who are less enthusiastic about the brand. Junction Point and Disney are certainly taking a few risks: One mission I saw kicked off with Mickey discovering Donald Duck's head on a shelf; the poor duck was still alive and well (although curiously he seemed to be half-robot, like Arnie in Terminator 2), but he desperately wanted Mickey to retrieve the parts of his dismembered body.

No, seriously - let's go over that again: Robot Donald Duck wants you to gather the pieces of his dismembered body. It's hardly The Lady and the Tramp, is it? Things get even weirder when you find one of Donald's limbs, as someone approaches you and offers to swap it for something that will make you more powerful. Who wants to buy Donald Duck's dismembered leg? Is he going to put it on eBay, or what?

It's definitely a break from the norm, but as it happens I have a lot of faith in Warren Spector. When I hear that he's chopped up Donald Duck, or that his game features boss fights that can be avoided entirely, I start to get excited. This game is a long way from release, at least a year, but there's potential for something genuinely interesting. Junction Point has sunk resources into their animation systems, and the action I saw last week was far more engaging than what the first screenshots may suggest. There are a lot of questions that won't be answered until we play the game for ourselves, but as gaming debuts go, this project has my attention.

HallandNash
11-05-2009, 11:50 AM
This game sounds so awesome! It's most likely going to force me to get a next gen gaming system when it finally arrives.

wire0monkey
11-05-2009, 12:19 PM
This NYT story has a screenshot of Mickey's face and body from the front:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/business/media/05mickey.html?_r=2&ref=todayspaper

SallyMcQueen
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I think this could be pretty cool. I will definitely give it a try once it is released.

Brer Robert
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
This may well be one of the best Disney-related games since Kingdom Hearts!

WDWfanatic742
06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Bumping an OLD thread :blush:

Anyone catch the Nintendo conference today at E3? They showed off the first gameplay video of the game. Looks even more awesome so far :thumbsup:

JPL
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Missed the video of gameplay but the concept art looks cool:thumbsup:

minnesotafreeze
06-15-2010, 10:25 PM
The video does look fantastic! I like that there will be a lot of Disney history within the game such as long forgotten characters from the black and white cartoon shorts.:mickey:

KylesMom
06-15-2010, 11:09 PM
DS12 has spent a lot of time watching E3 the past two days, and this was all he could talk about when I got home from work. Pretty cool stuff! :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
06-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Since they said that the game will feature lost and forgotten theme park attractions as well as other things, what are some attractions that you'd like to see?

I'm hoping for basically the only 2 attractions that have closed in my lifetime (that I remember riding) and that I loved. Alien Encounter and Timekeeper. Then Figment as a lost character!

I'm sure that there will be people that want Horizons, World of Motion among others...