PDA

View Full Version : Disney World...alone?

vividms
10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Has anyone gone to Disney World alone? How was your experience?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I've been several times alone, often during times when I was in the area on other business trips. It's fun, but it's a whole different experience. There are websites or blogs devoted to traveling solo to Disney.

The good is that you can go at a pace you want and try to see as much as you can possibly squeeze in. One day, I did several attractions at the Magic Kingdom, took the monorail to Epcot and did some things there, took the boat to Disney Studios and did some things there, then back to the Magic Kingdom and finished the evening there. It was kind of fun!

The bad is that you can't talk to people like you would if you were there with family. Sure, you can strike up conversations with other guests or castmembers, but it's different.

SandmanGStefani24
10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
loved it! while it is true, standing in a queue line, or waiting for your food at a sit-down restaurant can be a little tedious the solo trip is really excellent. not interested in a ride or attraction? move along. wanna ride something twice? go for it! need a sit down break? it's all you. you can cover so much more so quickly and really make your trip all about you. you might have a moment here and there where you might want someone with you, but WDW has a way of making you have a blast solo, or in a group.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I've thought about it but it seems like every time I do, someone decides to come along! I've spent time alone in the parks and have been perfectly comfortable. It's nice to go at your own pace. But it's also nice to have someone along to talk to.

JPL
10-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I go solo all the time and really enjoy being on my own schedule. I always meet up with fellow Intercotees and meet people on the bus and in line. It really is a great experience and I would recommend to anyone who asks about it:thumbsup:

Goofeygal
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I went last year solo and I loved it. I got to see some things my hubby doesn't so much enjoy and got to go at my own pace. I love going with DH but I totally loved my solo trip as well/

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 12:37 AM
i do it a lot, but i live in the area. ill sometimes use it as a reward for myself when something goes well. such as today i might make a stop at epcot because i did well on my tests this week.

i get to do what i want, stop and see the shows i want eat where i want, but it is different and fun any way.

Strmchsr
10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I went solo last year while at a conference. It was interesting to be able to just do what I wanted when I wanted, but, honestly, I found it made me miss my family a whole lot as we all enjoy Disney together. Going solo was nice, but not as fun as I thought it would be.

glenpreece
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I have been to WDW solo 3 times and counting down my 4th!!!

I love going solo and with family and friends. The advantages of going solo are:

-I can do what I want when I want, I can spend a whole haopping park to poark meeting characters and on my last day I hit all 4 parks and do the rides I love before I leave

-I can eat at earl of sandwich as many times as I like!!!

-I can do the attractions I want to do!!

-SINGLE RIDER LINES!!!!

That's just a few things, a couple down sides are ding alone can be lonely but I just text my friends when I waiting to eat and fill them in on what i am doing/eating LOL. And character lines without PPass can be akward but the Cm's are usually happy to take your pic for you.

Any opportunity to go to WDW solo or not is worth it!!!

magicofdisney
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I've done it once. I loved it for all the positive reasons stated. I hope to do many more. :mickey:

goofygirl67
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I go all the time alone. The one time I went with my sister I forgot she was with me and lost her in the crowd.
In December I am going with my Mom. I have been going nuts planning this vacation. Normally I just do a room since I have a pass. Planning this also got in the way of my Sept. solo vacation trying to figure out what my Mom would like.
After this, I go back to solo. It will be cheaper too.

ransam
10-11-2009, 12:40 PM
i've never done it, but i would love to someday...
when i've gone w/ friends or family i usually try to get lost for a few hours, and that's always fun to just enjoy things at my own pace..

EPCOT84
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I always meet up with fellow Intercotees and meet people on the bus and in line.

That's saying something !:number1:

thrillme
10-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I haven't done it but one of my girlfriends used to several times. She LOVED it. She went where SHE wanted to go WHEN she wanted to go. It was easy to get a table at a lot of resturants. And you never felt guilty getting into single rider lines.

She always said it was a real PEACEFUL vacation and she got to experience so much much more than she ever did with friends and family.

villavic
10-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I've been alone twice, and other 3 times with company. I enjoy WDW anyway, but it depends on your mood, your character, etc.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
As I have said in the past, this is my dream vacation :cloud9:. I say go for it. Yes family and friends are important but, we all need time for ourselves. Go recharge the batteries, when you get home you will love the others in your life all the more. :mickey:

kbean
10-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I like this post.... I live less than two hrs away from Disney and never can find ppl to go with. My friends either can't afford it or straight up out grew Disney and could care less. I even dated girls that hated Disney World and that didn't last long. I've been wanting to try going alone, but afraid that it would be boring. And I know I'd probably strike a convo up at some point with someone, but I can't imagine strangers asking one another if they want to tag alone....

But I'm gonna go with you guys and try it alone.
Wish me luck.
thanks

indytraveler
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Let me start by saying my family has spent the last 10 years doing a WDW vacation. So when I'm around the Orlando area on business I always think I could sneak away for a day and visit the Parks. Each time I chicken out and just visit DTD. While I'm there I see all the families together and I know I couldn't actually be in the parks without them. So I usually take pictures and text them to see if they can guess where I'm at. If I didn't have so many prior memories with my family then it might be a little easier. So I don't know if I could ever do WDW without family.

megustamex
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
I used to go alone whenever I traveled to Orlando for business, which was about twice a month. Every night I would go back to my hotel after meetings, change into my shorts and sneakers, and drive to Epcot for the evening. It was always so exciting to drive through the gates and get a bonus trip to Disney! I admit it was a little lonely sometimes during fireworks, when you want to hang with your family, but any Disney World is better than no Disney World! I always wondered if my boss in Chicago would know that my expensed dinners were actually in a theme park! Going alone lets you absorb more of the magic - you're not talking to someone all the time, so you really get to notice all of the details that make Disney so amazing.

magicofdisney
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
So I don't know if I could ever do WDW without family.
The first time I went to Disney without my children, I had the oddest sensation. My room was too quiet. Imagine that! I wasn't entirely alone because other adult family was coming for an adult get-away.

I get what you're saying, but for me it was a wonderful experience when my solo trip finally happened about a year later. :mickey:

Aggie97
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I had a few days alone at WDW while my husband was at a conference a couple years ago. I did not enjoy being in the theme parks by myself. I did have a good time once I decided to shop, resort hop, and relax by the resort pool instead -- but for me, even these things are much more fun with my husband than alone. :mickey:

kurt
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
all on my trips but 1 has been solo. it was great i set my own schedule. there were times that only 1 rider was needed to fill a ride. getting a ticket for Cirque du Soleil was great because of being only 1 person i was able to get seating close to the stage. i was able to leave the park for a rest at the hotel room & no one complained:thumbsup:

pox24
10-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I go mainly for a long golf week end when the wife is working. I love it. I usually stay at the BW and eat at Flying Fish bar. Going in November again.

darthmacho
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
The closest I've been to visiting alone was in 2003, when no one wanted to get up early and ride ToT and RnR with me, so I went to MGM alone and met up with my party later.

I had mixed feelings about it. While it certainly was convenient to be able to go at my own pace, make my own decisions, and repeat rides as much as I felt like, there was a certain feeling of loneliness in not being able to share the experience with others. I kept having those "hey, did you see that?" moments, but there was no one to actually say that to.

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy WDW is with one other like-minded person who loves you and wants to share the experience with you. I love my kids and can't wait to show them WDW, but I loved being able to walk leisurely around World Showcase, eating and drinking, and then returning to a romantic place like Wilderness Lodge to stroll and hold hands, just me and my wife.

BowTie7
10-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Going solo can be wonderful, if you usually are a part of a group when you visit--use the solo trip to visit ( and repeatedly visit) attractions you really like or to try a few off the beaten path things. (Small World 4 times--no problem; Small World never also no problem). Also remember that when you get tired, you can stop and rest. Be sure to try the new Kim Possible adventures in Epcot--even if you have no idea who Kim Possible is they work well for one person, are quite interactive, and get you to explore the far corners of World Showcase.

Ten of Hearts
10-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I went on a solo trip to the Magic Kingdom and really enjoyed it. Previously, I have always visited with my family or relatives. In fact, I've been to MK at least six times with them before going by myself this year.
In sketching out an itinerary and reading tips online, I figured that there would be two main things that would be different for a solo trip to Disney. One: where I would have my meals. Two: when I would leave the park. The last one is a no-brainer: leaving the park in time for the 1.5 hour drive to get home before dark. For my main meal- lunch- I decided to eat at a take-out and sit outside. Then I could watch the world go by and not worry about having someone to chat with at mealtime. It actually was very pleasant to be seated at a table outside Casey's with my hotdog and fries, seeing all the kids and people who mostly looked pretty happy.
One of my all-time favorites is 'Mickey's PhilharMagic' and that was the first show I went to. There was no line there. Of course for years my family has always gone to the Main Street Bakery straight from the monorail and we've gotten our treats and coffee- reinforcements- before the big AM hike through Adventureland (which we've historically always done first). So, I went to the bakery first thing too. But not before seeing Goofy and some of my favorite Disney characters in the main square.
We've always wound up in Tomorrowland around late afternoon, going on our favorite rides and finding a dining spot. Then we'd migrate towards Main St in the evening, seeing the castle and everything light up. This time I went through the park twice. I can walk practically all day in my running shoes so it was possible for me to do this by myself and loved it!
I am a 6'1" woman so you can imagine I stand out in a crowd. No matter. I stood in line for Snow White's Scary Adventures and enjoyed that. I went to the Haunted House and this is such a classic.
I took the riverboat in the morning and the monorail late afternoon. The tram rides were fine.
On the way out I had my gift bag and got my to-go treats from the bakery. It was a sweet ending to a nice day. Stopped by my parents on the way back and gave them their gift. I shared my day with them and we reminisced about our earlier trips to Disney World.
I look forward to future visits. My 50th birthday may well be spent in the soon-to-be expanded Magic Kingdom! This time with family and friends! or not! :mickey:

Captain_Nemo
10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I love it alone, I love it so much there, I can run around all day by myself and not have a care at all. It's like having the world in your hands. though, dining with someone is always nice :secret:

It was always an option for me when I worked for the airlines, I could go solo for the day and come back at same day, get ther by 9am leave at 8pm. free flights :)

tigz9299
10-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Over the past several yeras,my wife has decided to not go to WDW...so,she has me go..normally 2 or 3 times a year for 1 or 2 days..it gets me out of her hair,and lets me get my Disney fix...I personally love doing it,for all the reasons stated before..do as you please,..see things she normally won't go to:etc...I say "do it"",and check for yourself...

mdricks
10-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Solo trips are the best. Sure I miss the kids but I just tell my self I'm doing reconnaissance for the next trip. Who can honestly say they have been on a family vacation to the world and got to do everything THEY wanted?

Well a solo tripper can.

I try and go solo once a year. Usually in conjunction with a business trip that concludes Friday afternoon.

Admittedly, I spend the largest part of my time on a bench outside the Rose and Crown drinking black-n-tans watching the world go by.

I have a hectic high stress job; a solo trip is a hellofa lot cheaper than therapy and works twice as goodl!
:number1:

DVC2004
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I had to temporarily relocate to Orlando a few years ago whenI took a job. I lived there for 7 weeks without my family (they did come to visit one week). I spent alot of time at WDW alone during that time. It was a different experience than going with my family- it was OK. I prefer going with my family over going alone, but if I were there on business again I certainly wouldn't pass up a visit to WDW.

Granny Jill A
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Traveling to WDW solo?

On the plus side:
You can do what you want, when you want.
If you want to stay out all night or come back to your room early, nobody cares.

On the minus side:
You have no one to talk to during meals, and no one to share the fun with as it is happening.

It helps if you like to strike up conversations with strangers.

I went solo because my traveling companion had backed out. Rather than NOT go, I went by myself. It was a unique experience.

Capt_redshirt
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I am doing that next week. While i will be meeting one of my friends who works for Disney on a couple of the days, most of the vacation ill be by myself. Ill try to report how things are when i come back on the 24.

tdk316
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I've not done a complete vacation to WDW alone, but have been there while DH was at a conference and liked the time in the parks by myself. I noticed a lot more of the details that Disney puts into the parks when I was alone. I have also resort hopped and spent a lot of time at DTD while he was at conferences and have enjoyed that time also. I say go for it!