PDA

View Full Version : DVC Charging Members for Valet Parking as of 10/11/09

mjaclyn
10-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Has anyone heard about this? We were just a the Poly where we valet parked (I thought it was free at any WDW resort for DVC members), so I called DVC to verify that I actually did have to pay at a non DVC resort, and the CM told me that effective tomorrow, 10/11/09 all members will have to pay $12.00 for valet parking. What irritates me the most about this is that it's $2 more expensive than they're charging regular guests!! I thought that free valet was a nice perk. What will they take from us next?

artyboy
10-10-2009, 10:23 AM
I feel the same way...just got back, and got charged for valet at the Boardwalk...I didn't feel like arguing, so I just paid the $.

I know that Disney is just trying to make money, but they are upsetting their core fans with this kind of nonsense...sigh

DVC2004
10-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Just chipping away, little by little...sigh.
This is disappointing because we always rent a car. It never was free at the Poly though (or GF)- only DVC resorts that had valet like BC, BW, WL.

Hammer
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Valet parking at the Poly or GF has never been free for DVC members. Only Deluxe resorts with DVC accommodations offered this perk, which I just confirmed is going away on 10/11/09.

I have to tell you, this bothers me. Self-parking at Beach Club Villas is convenient, but not at any of the other DVC resorts which have valet parking. Now, I will be traveling with my mother in December and will receive complementary valet parking that trip (as she uses a wheelchair and has a handicapped parking permit) but after that, It definitely makes me like my home resort (SSR) more as I will not have the added expense.

Seasonscraps
10-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Lovely. They are off the hook by not having to provide "free" ME service to DVC guests but feel the need to beat them out of $12 a day to park. Nice way to treat some of their more loyal guests.

Our DVC purchase is one of my biggest regrets and wish I could convince DH to get rid of it. :mad:

Polynesian Dweller
10-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Before we beat Disney up here, I thought I read that valet services at the resorts were something outsourced a year or so back by Disney. If so, it wouldn't it be that it is the outsourcing company that is charging not Disney. When I was working as a manager up here outsourcing companies would up there rates and we would have to pass them on.

Tinkermom
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
This stinks. This was a nice perk.

Although...
If you have a Tables in Wonderland card you can still get free valet parking any any Disney resort where you are dining.

DVC2004
10-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Before we beat Disney up here, I thought I read that valet services at the resorts were something outsourced a year or so back by Disney. If so, it wouldn't it be that it is the outsourcing company that is charging not Disney. When I was working as a manager up here outsourcing companies would up there rates and we would have to pass them on.

I thought Magical Express was contracted through Mears, yet this remains free. Maybe I am incorrect but I remember reading that somewhere.

Anyway, Disney can change any "perks" at will. According to them they are not gauranteed now or in the future. It's a shame though because there have been alot of little changes over recent years, but there hasn't been much done to replace what's been going away. I don't care about discounts to Cirque Du Soliel. That doesn't matter to my family. Neither do golf discounts. You spend all this money to be a member, and visit repeatedly, and you get less than other guests who pay cash. :mad:

Mushu11756
10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Soon they'll charge us for trash n towel services! Hey you never no!

Jeffybob
10-10-2009, 06:11 PM
We were just there for a one night stay (9/25) THEN we left on the 7 night eastern DCL cruise, THEN were back again, for a one night stay (10/3) at the BWV's before flying home.

The in-laws drove down from Atlanta and left their car with the valet for the week even though they had officially checked out.
Since they were checking back in and were on the cruise for the week with Disnehy, the Resort gave them a parking pass for the week instead of just one night.

Their room was tied to my DVC membership (we were on the Magical Express) and their parking was comp'ed due to the DVC membership. As I understood it, DVC members got comp'ed valet parking at the Resorts that were the timeshare Villas, but not at the other lodgings on property i.e.: the hotels that were traded into.

Bummer to learn that this "perK' was going bye-bye, however as noted above, everything is subject to change.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

seanyred
10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Honestly I don't have a strong opinion about this. Mainly because I still have my first DVC stay coming up this November. Secondly, I don't plan on driving and using valet parking. But I do agree it stinks when they take away perks even if they are not always guaranteed.

lockedoutlogic
10-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Lovely. They are off the hook by not having to provide "free" ME service to DVC guests but feel the need to beat them out of $12 a day to park. Nice way to treat some of their more loyal guests.

Our DVC purchase is one of my biggest regrets and wish I could convince DH to get rid of it. :mad:

Since when do DVC members not get ME?

Donald A
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I have to admit that I never used the valet parking. At the Beach Club Villas, for instance, I just parked in the lot by the Villas and made a "few trips" up to the room. Every other place I have stayed I just drove my car up, unloaded it with the bell services and self-parked. So it isn't a big issue with me.

HOWEVER, I am disturbed that DVC keeps changing stuff that makes the experience "less magical." I mean the points change for weekdays and now something like this. Sure it is within their right contractually to do this, but it seems like they keep doing things that alienate certain guests that have come to expect certain things. Oh well, I am sure this is happening everywhere right now. The economy isn't good and businesses are cutting corners where they can. Disney is no exception.

Seasonscraps
10-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Since when do DVC members not get ME?

oops...that was a typo. I meant to say DVC members that bring cars to the resorts and therefore not using ME service.
sorry for the confusion there.:blush:

JPL
10-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Really getting tired of all this nickel and diming :mad: It's bad enough we see it at the parks now I have to see it at my resort! What's next coin operated Washer and dryers in the rooms

dlpmikki
10-11-2009, 03:30 AM

You can still get free self parking and free parking at the parks when you are staying at a DVC. I think I used the valet parking perk once or twice but don't usually bother. It does seem like they are chipping away at things but I would be a lot more upset if they took away the AP discount.

Seasonscraps
10-11-2009, 04:44 AM
You can still get free self parking and free parking at the parks when you are staying at a DVC. I think I used the valet parking perk once or twice but don't usually bother. It does seem like they are chipping away at things but I would be a lot more upset if they took away the AP discount.

I guess it's all in the way you look at it and travel. We don't get annual passes so what others save on APs, we saved on valet parking. Even though we don't take advantage of the AP savings I would be equally upset if they took away that perk for other members.

We'll probably decide on a day to day basis if we will use valet service or self park.

DonLefNY
10-11-2009, 07:21 AM
One perk I never used anyway.

Ian
10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
It does seem like they are chipping away at things but I would be a lot more upset if they took away the AP discount.Trust me ... that's next.

I'm quite sure this is in response to sagging profits. They used to make a bunch of money selling DVC memberships, so the money they weren't making on rooms going to DVC members didn't seem like such a big deal.

But now, in this down economy, I'm sure some bean counter somewhere went, "Hey these DVC people are costing us money when they use those memberships we sold them! We need to get more money from them!"

I'm not thrilled, but I'm not going to go too crazy about it either ... it's a perk I made use of, but not too frequently and one I don't really mind working around. The concept, though ... the constant cutbacks and increases ... that's getting very, very old.

I just do not understand all the money grabs (massive increase in ticket prices, massive increase in parking at the theme parks, this increase, etc.) during one of the worst economic downturns in the last 100 years.

DVC Mike
10-11-2009, 09:29 AM
My DW loves to valet, while I like to self-park.

She won't like this change at all, since it gives me a reason to self-park ("honey, it's free while valet is $12 plus tip!").

I should still get free valet while dining using the TIW card.

TheRustyScupper
10-11-2009, 10:12 AM
1) Folks need to remember that we bought a time-share.
2) We did not buy free valet, discounted tickets, etc.
3) Add-ons and extras are nice, but it was the room that was purchased.
4) And, since the valet is now outsourced, it is right for them to make a profit.
5) I think the time to complain was when the valet parking was outsourced.

mjaclyn
10-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Valet parking is free with TIW? The CM at Poly told me you only get a 20% discount with it...

Hammer
10-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Valet parking is free with TIW? The CM at Poly told me you only get a 20% discount with it...

Yes, Valet parking is free with TIW if you are dining at the resort. You will just need to show your Dining receipt (or sometimes just the card) to receive complimentary valet parking.

Fortunately, I have TIW, so the only time I will need to pay for valet is if I choose to valet at the DVC resort (which is really only an issue at Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge). It is just the precedent it is setting. Some people are bringing up this is due to the outsourcing of the valets. If that were truly the case, they would have started charging 2 years ago when the service was originally outsourced.

Maleficent's Dad
10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Maybe I'm wrong here...
But I thought the valet service was originally intended for the resorts that didn't have "convenient parking." In other words, if you were staying at OKW or SSR, parking close to your room isn't an issue - you park just outside of where you're staying.
But if you're at the BWV, or the VWL, you could be quite a haul from your room - thus the "free" valet.

It's perplexing to me why they'd take this away... :scratch:

Guess it's the usual answer - $$$

DVC Mike
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
It's perplexing to me why they'd take this away... :scratch:

Guess it's the usual answer - $$$

I've some people theorize it may have something to do with the outsourcing of valet parking a couple of years ago.

Maybe the valet parking company is raising the fees they were charging DVC for their members to get free valet.

But if that were true, why didn't DVC just change it from free valet parking to at least a discounted rate for valet parking for DVC members?

Ian
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
But if that were true, why didn't DVC just change it from free valet parking to at least a discounted rate for valet parking for DVC members?Right ... and really ... am I wrong or was valet parking only $10 before?

Did they raise valet parking fees across property to match this? Surely they aren't charging DVC members $2 extra when before they were able to park for free, right??

Seasonscraps
10-11-2009, 08:45 PM
My guess is the price of valet parking increased across the board - park parking went up this week also. I can't imagine they are charging DVC people an extra two bucks - who would willingly admit to being dvc if that were the case?

mjaclyn
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
When we valet parked at the Poly yesterday it was $10.00 so I was very surprised when the CM from DVC Member Services told me that as of today the price would be $12 for DVC Members. She didn't say anything about a price increase for on-DVC though...

DVC Mike
10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Right ... and really ... am I wrong or was valet parking only $10 before?

Did they raise valet parking fees across property to match this? Surely they aren't charging DVC members $2 extra when before they were able to park for free, right??

No, they aren't charging members more. They are raising the cost for valet parking.

epceddie
10-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Is is really true about the free valet parking going away?
I was just on the DVC members site and there was no mention of it. Was Disney planning on telling anyone, because this is the first that I've heard of it.
This is a typical move by a money-greedy company that just keeps nickle and diming people who have coughed up tens of thousands of dollars to be DVC members and it stinks.
I'm really starting to regret my decision to become a member, but my wife and I make up for it by trying to spend as LITTLE money as possible at Disney by not buying souvenirs and eating breakfast and dinner in our room or going offsite to places like Romano's Macaroni Grill.
Every trip we make, it seems like we're spending more and more time at Universal, where you can get a 2-park, 7-day ticket for $99.
What going to take away next? The member discounts for the water parks and Disney Quest?
All they do is take stuff away and continue to raise prices on everything. Hopefully, someday ppeople will stand up and say enough is enough.

MidnTPK
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
1) Folks need to remember that we bought a time-share.
2) We did not buy free valet, discounted tickets, etc.
3) Add-ons and extras are nice, but it was the room that was purchased.
4) And, since the valet is now outsourced, it is right for them to make a profit.
5) I think the time to complain was when the valet parking was outsourced.

Very well said Rusty.

It seems as though there are two truths that many DVC-ers seem to ignore. The first is your point...that the DVC is just a fancy timeshare system.

The second truth is there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch. Those parking valets weren't there as unpaid volunteers. Someone has to pay the parking valets for their time waiting for cars. And as timeshare owners, you were paying them whether you used the service or not. This was an easy decision by Disney: eliminate a perk/expense that only a few people use. It helps Disney both keep dues down and make the DVC business more profitable.

Seasonscraps
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Very well said Rusty.

It seems as though there are two truths that many DVC-ers seem to ignore. The first is your point...that the DVC is just a fancy timeshare system.

The second truth is there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch. Those parking valets weren't there as unpaid volunteers. Someone has to pay the parking valets for their time waiting for cars. And as timeshare owners, you were paying them whether you used the service or not. This was an easy decision by Disney: eliminate a perk/expense that only a few people use. It helps Disney both keep dues down and make the DVC business more profitable.

I never thought of it exactly as free...more that it was included in the maintenance fees. Just like ME is not free, free dining is not free, internet for DVCers using points for DVC resorst is not free...we always end up paying somewhere. Now we are getting less for the same amount we were paying and I am willing to bet, the maintenance fees will go up come January.

MidnTPK
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I am willing to bet, the maintenance fees will go up come January.
Of course...but the cutting the costs associated withthis perk will allow DVC to allow the dues increase to be smaller...or let DVC raise its management fee without people noticing as big a change in total dues. Yes, a subtle, marginal expense, but certainly one of the motivations.

Hammer
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Some of those "perks" are some of the reasons why I chose to buy DVC over other timeshares when I was researching my purchase. They keep removing things and I would probably been better off at the Hyatt Grand Cypress.

The fact that they raised the price $2 for valet parking across the board I can almost bet covers any increase incurred from charges by the outsourcing company. They just thought they would remove a perk to boost up their bottom line.

As I said, I will find a way around this by staying at the DVCs which do not offer valet or stay at those DVC resorts when I know I can add that cost into my vacation budget. What bothers me, as I said, is the precedent. As Ian said, the DVC AP discount is probably next and that will bother many more people.

LoriSan
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
will[/I] bother many more people.

I'm calling right now to renew my AP! :crying:

MidnTPK
10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Some of those "perks" are some of the reasons why I chose to buy DVC over other timeshares when I was researching my purchase.
This doesn't help now, but before I bought my timeshare, I was deciding between DVC and the one I eventually bought (Harborside at Atlantis in The Bahamas). In the end, the decision came down to what was promised in the timeshare agreement. At DVC, nothing but the use of your unit is promised in the contract. Everything else is marketing to make the DVC more attractive. At Harborside, I am granted deed access to Atlantis for the term of my vacation club for a specified dollar amount annually.

Which is the long way of saying that you should expect EVERYTHING that is not promised in your contract to eventually be eliminated....or continue but only for an up-charge. If you see the analysis I did in an earlier thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160532&page=5), you'll see I still think the DVC offers a good value.....but not a value as good as the hype and excitement.

Hammer
10-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Which is the long way of saying that you should expect EVERYTHING that is not promised in your contract to eventually be eliminated....or continue but only for an up-charge. If you see the analysis I did in an earlier thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160532&page=5), you'll see I still think the DVC offers a good value.....but not a value as good as the hype and excitement.

Look, I understand what you are saying, but but if you add a change like this with the fact that they upped the number of points needed for weekday stays, it just seems very much like a money grab.

dlpmikki
10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Taking a long term view on this the 'perks' have changed quite a bit over the years, sometimes for the better and sometimes worse. I guess my concern is that most recent changes seem to be for the worse and that is a precedent that worries me. I don't remember when free valet parking was bought in but it obviously wasn't there at the beginning when OKW was the only resort.

pox24
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
This really stinks. We never questioned their price and gladly paid based on the sales pitch, perks and all that Disney magic. Guess what? Here' some magic...POOOF... no more perks. Thats next. Little by little its all going away. :mad:

Aurora
10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Forgive me, but this is one of those "perks" that I think is so non-essential to enjoying your DVC stay that I'm having a hard time understanding why there's so much wringing of hands. I'm not even sure it belongs in the category of "well if they're going to take THIS away from us, what's next?" If paying for valet service bothers you, don't pay it. It's not required. Just walk.

I mean, on a vacation in which you probably walk more miles in a day than you walk in a month at home, how can it be such a big deal to walk from your car to the resort?

Hammer
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Forgive me, but this is one of those "perks" that I think is so non-essential to enjoying your DVC stay that I'm having a hard time understanding why there's so much wringing of hands. I'm not even sure it belongs in the category of "well if they're going to take THIS away from us, what's next?" If paying for valet service bothers you, don't pay it. It's not required. Just walk.

I mean, on a vacation in which you probably walk more miles in a day than you walk in a month at home, how can it be such a big deal to walk from your car to the resort?

I think Mikki summed it up pretty well. She has been a long time DVC owner:

Taking a long term view on this the 'perks' have changed quite a bit over the years, sometimes for the better and sometimes worse. I guess my concern is that most recent changes seem to be for the worse and that is a precedent that worries me.

JPL
10-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I agree while I rarely use this perk it's more the principle of it! What are they replacing it with? What's next to go? These are the questions that come to my mind.

Ian
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Forgive me, but this is one of those "perks" that I think is so non-essential to enjoying your DVC stay that I'm having a hard time understanding why there's so much wringing of hands. I'm not even sure it belongs in the category of "well if they're going to take THIS away from us, what's next?"I tend to agree ... also, folks seem to forget that they just gave us free Internet last year, so I wouldn't necessarily say every change has been a reduction in perks.

I think they looked at this for what it was ... a little used, little known perk, that was probably causing them more headaches working around it with the outsourcing company than it was worth.

JPL
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Bringing my level of service up to the status of Motel 6 with Free internet really isn't much of a perk! It's not even wireless!

Ian
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Bringing my level of service up to the status of Motel 6 with Free internet really isn't much of a perk! It's not even wireless!Yeah, but that's not a fair comparison.

Motel 6's give you free Internet because they have to. But if you travel to virtually any real resort area you're not getting free 'Net.

At best, it might be included in some kind of generalized "resort fee."

tink'72
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I just read on another site that DVC members will now have to pay for Valet parking at the DVC resorts. I know this was a little "perk" we got but I loved it! It just seems the perks are going away for DVC owners and every time I turn around they are offering more and more incentives. I get the reasoning behind it but it just frustrates me....:mad:

pox24
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
I got a response from DVC from my email I sent about this. They basically said too bad and have a magical day.

MidnTPK
10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
There's a long thread already going on about this issue

threads now merged

FiggyFan
10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
I have seen a few posts here that describe the increase in points for weeknight room reservations as an example of the erosion of perks. I disagree with that logic. The increase in the weeknight point cost was coupled with a decrease in the weekend point cost. The result is no net change in the point cost for a room for the entire year, just as the contract says. This change was an attempt to balance demand.

For those booking weeknights using points and weekends using cash because of the difference in point cost, the same trip will cost more points. For those booking a full week using points, the change is negligible. For those booking a weekend, the point cost of the trip will go down. Disney is not lining their pockets with this one.

I agree with those who are unhappy to lose the valet parking perk. If those who speculate that the AP discount may be a future target are correct, it may be time to break out the torches and pitchforks :thedolls:.

PETE FROM NYC
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Really getting tired of all this nickel and diming :mad: It's bad enough we see it at the parks now I have to see it at my resort! What's next coin operated Washer and dryers in the rooms

Worse than that.
Toilet paper at 25 cents per sheet.
OOOh, better not give them any ideas. LOL

LebelJD
11-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Not strictly on topic for this thread, but perhaps thematically correct; The recent changes to the Disney PhotoPass have taken away the option to preorder the CD by DVC members. I for one am disappointed by this news, and I will be sure to mention it when I visit the DVC preview center in a couple of weeks.

OogieBoogieMan
11-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I suppose, as some have stated, we didn't buy the perks we bought the timeshare, but I have always seen the perks as part of the package. For reasons I won't get in to here, we don't use DVC as much in the past, through no fault of Disney or the accommodations. I have held on to it for the perks, primarily the AP discount and the parking. Maybe they are trying to get rid of people like me. If the AP discount goes you can be sure the membership will be on the block the next day.

epceddie
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
The free valet parking was part of the perks package that Disney promoted when I was making my decision and I viewed it as a positive, something I could use or not use at my discretion. I can deal with the fact that free valet parking is gone, but I never heard a word about it from Disney and that ticks me off. I spent over $10,000 for my DVC membership and if not for Intercot, I wouldn't have known that a perk I've enjoyed in the past isn't park of the package anymore.

epceddie
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I wonder if the day will ever come when Disney's "too bad and have a magical day" philosophy backfires. Power to the people!

Seasonscraps
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
I wonder if the day will ever come when Disney's "too bad and have a magical day" philosophy backfires. Power to the people!

I can't convince DH to sell but we don't spend as much there as we used to. IF we buy park tickets, it's never for every day we are down there. We are 50/50 on getting park hoppers. We don't bother with the water park & fun since PI was shut down. No way would we every purchase a dining plan. We pick up groceries on our way in. About 2/3 of our meals are either off property or in non-disney restauarants like HOB or Shulas.

They weren't all conscious decisions to take money away from Disney but they are a result of the decline in overall service and an effort we take to increase the value and enjoyment of our vaction.

lockedoutlogic
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but that's not a fair comparison.

Motel 6's give you free Internet because they have to. But if you travel to virtually any real resort area you're not getting free 'Net.

At best, it might be included in some kind of generalized "resort fee."

Actually, I gotta go JPL on this one....

You can not...CAN NOT...give Disney "credit" for giving you something that was implemented 5-10 years ago in every hotel chain in america....

the amount of "services" offered at WDW are kinda pathetic....

like for say....if i need to access to a business center at my 300 dollar a night hotel - Animal Kingdom Lodge - i have to go to coronado to find it.....

kinda silly....

Ian
11-10-2009, 01:29 PM
The free valet parking was part of the perks package that Disney promoted when I was making my decision and I viewed it as a positive, something I could use or not use at my discretion. I can deal with the fact that free valet parking is gone, but I never heard a word about it from Disney and that ticks me off. I spent over $10,000 for my DVC membership and if not for Intercot, I wouldn't have known that a perk I've enjoyed in the past isn't park of the package anymore.I agree with this completely. The fact that Disney arbitrarily makes these changes mid-year and never tells anyone about them is digusting from a customer service standpoint. They've almost stooped to the level of airline or cable company customer service.

I wonder if the day will ever come when Disney's "too bad and have a magical day" philosophy backfires. Power to the people!Well the thing is it really isn't Disney's philosophy. That philosophy is pretty much limited to Walt Disney World only. They are the cash cow for the Disney Company as a whole and as long as people keep packing the parks they're going to keep raising prices, cutting back services, and boosting their bottom line.

I can't convince DH to sell but we don't spend as much there as we used to.We don't either. In fact, if it wasn't for my kids I don't think I'd go back for a couple years.

But we used to go 3 or 4 times a year. Now it's once or twice max.

Actually, I gotta go JPL on this one....

You can not...CAN NOT...give Disney "credit" for giving you something that was implemented 5-10 years ago in every hotel chain in america....

the amount of "services" offered at WDW are kinda pathetic....

like for say....if i need to access to a business center at my 300 dollar a night hotel - Animal Kingdom Lodge - i have to go to coronado to find it.....

kinda silly....Nah ... you're never going to convince me that Disney not giving free Internet access is a big deal. "Every hotel chain in America ... " does not give away free Internet access. Hotels that give it away are hotels that have to give it away to lure customers.

But I've stayed in lots of hotels in lots of convention towns and none of them give Internet away for free. In fact at $9.99/day, Disney's is one of the cheapest I've found.

Seasonscraps
11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't think the internet needs to be free although I'd like to see it charged on a sliding scale like the park tickets. The longer you stay, the less you pay per day. A lot of people go to disney for long stretches - 10 days, 2 weeks - so it adds up. About half the hotels I stay in have free wireless internet access. $10 per day seems to be the going rate for the hotels that charge.

There's no reason there shouldn't be a business center at each resort with a couple of computers and a printer for people that need access for a brief time - that's an excellent point lockedoutlogic!! It would be convenient for guests to be able to check/confirm their flights, there's that 24 hour check in to get boarding passes on Southwest, check their email, etc.

And I think WI-FI is should be available everywhere, including the rooms. The jacks are frequently in hard to reach spots and in an inconvenient location. I am sure that's not an accident. I know they don't want people sitting in their rooms surfing the web but at the same time, I dont think I am the only one that does.

lockedoutlogic
11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I agree with this completely. The fact that Disney arbitrarily makes these changes mid-year and never tells anyone about them is digusting from a customer service standpoint. They've almost stooped to the level of airline or cable company customer service.

Well the thing is it really isn't Disney's philosophy. That philosophy is pretty much limited to Walt Disney World only. They are the cash cow for the Disney Company as a whole and as long as people keep packing the parks they're going to keep raising prices, cutting back services, and boosting their bottom line.

We don't either. In fact, if it wasn't for my kids I don't think I'd go back for a couple years.

But we used to go 3 or 4 times a year. Now it's once or twice max.

Nah ... you're never going to convince me that Disney not giving free Internet access is a big deal. "Every hotel chain in America ... " does not give away free Internet access. Hotels that give it away are hotels that have to give it away to lure customers.

But I've stayed in lots of hotels in lots of convention towns and none of them give Internet away for free. In fact at $9.99/day, Disney's is one of the cheapest I've found.

Ian....

let's keep it simple....

the hotels are overpriced for the level of service they provide...and management is continually trying to find ways to cut more corners.....

all because of a fiberglass castle, a steel ball, and a mouse

disagree? lets call a cake a cake

It's just indicative of the management "direction" that has decreased quality for close to two decades.....just one piece in the ever developing puzzle....

I know you agree with me there:mickey:

candleshoe
11-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Does this mean they wont provide free valet parking even if you are currently staying at that resort, or is it only if, say you are at BLT and want to spend some time and boardwalk to shop or eat that they won't provide the free valet?

Seasonscraps
11-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Does this mean they wont provide free valet parking even if you are currently staying at that resort, or is it only if, say you are at BLT and want to spend some time and boardwalk to shop or eat that they won't provide the free valet?

It's the first one. You pay for valet at every resort including the one you are staying in.