PDA

View Full Version : Best pool for kids

AirlineGuy07
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
What is everyones opinion on which has the best pool for kids. I have a 2 and 5 year old. Which one would they like the best...Kadani Village Pool at AKV or Stormalong Bay at BCV. Thanks!!

BrerGnat
10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Without having been to either, but having seen pictures of both, and after hearing lots of reviews, etc., I would say:

Don't pick a hotel based on the POOL alone!

I read this once and I thought about it, and it's really very wise advice. You might spend 1-2 hours in the pool daily with kids those ages. You will spend MUCH more time dealing with:

-Resort transportation
-Sleeping/being "in room"
-Resort FOOD OPTIONS
-Other resort amenities/nearby resort amenities

We are taking our boys to WDW next spring. They will be 5 and 4 and pool time is critical to our vacation. In fact, I dare say we will spend equal amounts of time swimming and being in the WDW parks. ;) We're just not that "park commando" like.

I thought about AKL Kidani, since it's so readily available for booking as a cash reservation (we're not DVC members). The pool/water play area looks GREAT for little ones. It also looks very, very small...we like our space, especially when swimming!

The thing that really turned me against AKL, though, wasn't the pool. It was the FOOD OPTIONS. I looked at menus online of their offerings at both Kidani and Jambo House. The food offerings at AKL as a whole, and at Kidani in particular, do not appeal to me at all. And, our kids are super picky, and the kids meals are not what our kids would eat. I don't know how much we'd actually make use of the in villa kitchen for MAIN meals...

On the other hand, BCV (one of our options, if it's available), has limited food offerings, but what they DO have is stuff our kids like. :thumbsup: And, the ability to walk over to Boardwalk, Dolphin (where they have that great 24 hour food place), or Epcot for food is a MUCH bigger convenience.

The pool at BC seems very kid friendly. Great sandy shallow area for the little ones, and if you stay WITH your kids, probably a VERY enjoyable pool experience. Most negative reviews of that pool area revolve around people taking issue with the fact that the pool is so spread out, that they can't sit on a lounge chair and keep an eye on their kids. With kids 2 and 5, though, you'll be WITH your kids in the water, so that's a non issue.

I would, though, look at the resort as a WHOLE, and decide which one suits ALL your needs. Remember, this is Florida. It could decide to rain the ENTIRE time you are there.

epceddie
10-09-2009, 11:19 PM
We saw a young boy almost drown at Stormalong Bay this past May. He was using one of the slides that starts on one side of the pool and ends at the other and his father was nowhere in sight.
If not for the quick reaction of one of the lifeguards, who jumped in wearing a t-shirt and shorts, something bad could have happened.
We were shocked at how nonchalant the father was. He didn't even thank the lifeguard. He just said "oh, we'll be more careful next time." Unbelievable!

Fortgoofy97
10-10-2009, 07:41 AM
For those ages and only those two pools, AKL Kidani. Stormalong is not really built for young kids.Kidani is a better set up. Another option would be the Main pool at Saratoga Springs. Definitely kid friendly.

AirlineGuy07
10-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I have a ressie already at Kadani Village but debated whether to change it to BCV. I like the pool at Kanadi but would like to be closer to things at BCV. We will be with our kids always at whatever pool we are at because they are so young. My 4 year loves sand aslo he would love the Kadani pool with all the bells and whistles at the kids part . We will be renting a car so transportation isn't an issue. Hopefully I can make up my mind.

Tinkermom
10-10-2009, 01:08 PM
We have stayed at both resorts and both pools are very nice. Kidani pool is much less crowded than BCV. When we stayed at BCV the lazy river was typically full and we could not even get a tube. The sand area was very nice and my DD who was 4 at the time enjoyed that but not much else. Our boys who were 8 and 10 LOVED the waterslide at BCV but it was just too big and intimidating for our 4 year old.

I would say with your children's age they would very much enjoy Kidani and it is just so much easier to keep an eye on them there. Your 5 year old can easily ride the bigger waterslide and there is a small one for your 2 year old as well. The splash and play area is lots of fun. DH and I even engaged in some watergun battles with our kids and they thought that was a blast!

Don't forget the animals at Kidani either! Our kids LOVED watching the animals. The firepit area is a great place to hang out and unwind for a bit in the evening. They have rocking chairs for adults and kids to just sit and hang out. You don't get animals at BCV and remember, the kids won't even know what they are missing by not going to BCV! ;)

Just my thoughts! I am sure you will have a blast no matter where you choose!:mickey:

MinnieMommie
10-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I agree that AKL is a good place to stay with kids and that the pool is amazing. Don't overlook the Main pool and the Grandstand pool at SSR. The Main pool also has a lot of activities for kids so there is always something to do. :mickey:

AirlineGuy07
10-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your reply! We have decided to stay at BCV simply because its closer to food and parks. We have two kids that will probably nap in the afternoon so it will be easier and quicker to walk back from EPCOT and hollywood studios. Plus we can take the monorail at EPCOT to go to Magic Kingdom. The only time we would have to get into our car is to go to Animal Kingdom. I agree the AKV pool is more kid friendly but with the ages of ours the convenience is probably top priority for now. My kids will like the sand at stormalong bay. Next time we will try AKV.