PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain closed in Jan!

Gator
10-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I can't believe it! I've been telling my little girl for the past 6 months that she's finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. It's all she can talk about. She can't wait to go to WDW and ride Splash Mountain. And now Disney closes it for the whole month of Jan - exactly when we'll be there!:thedolls: What a crock!:mad: If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK:thedolls:

Altair
10-09-2009, 04:26 PM
It's been closed just after the holidays for at least the last three years. It would be nice if they would move that around a little.:(

mreinventtt
10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
It's cool. Its a good reason to make another trip and go back. Where exactly did you get this information from? I cant find it anywhere.
Thanks
Missy

Gator
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Found it on site about wdw. It's closed Jan 3 - Feb 27. This year it was closed for the 2 weeks before MLK. This year...2 months. And it's not cool. And I can't a find a single place to log complaints with Disney. I'm sure they've managed to eliminate any mention of one on all the search engines. I've never been this mad. Someone's gonna hear about this.

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I can't believe it! I've been telling my little girl for the past 6 months that she's finally tall enough to ride Splash Mountain. It's all she can talk about. She can't wait to go to WDW and ride Splash Mountain. And now Disney closes it for the whole month of Jan - exactly when we'll be there!:thedolls: What a crock!:mad: If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK:thedolls:

Surely you understand that for the rides to be properly maintained that they have to go down for refurb from time to time. I've paid attention to WDW's past refurbs and Splash Mountain is almost always down for its rehab in Jan. or Feb. Its a ride you get wet on. WDW isn't going to schedule a refurb of it during the hotter months or during the busy holiday season. So that leaves Jan. and early Feb. And I do think they try to move it around a bit. I know a few years ago it was down in Feb., your saying next year it'll be down in Jan. In all of my trips to WDW there is always something that isn't open due to a rehab. Its just the way it works.

DVC2004
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I saw on another site that it will be closed from Jan 3- Feb 27th 2010. I'm sorry, I can tell how disappointed you are. :( I wouldn't expect anything from Disney however for the inconvenience. They routinely rehab the rides and I am sure it's all in the fine print that there's no gaurantee on these types of things.

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I've never been this mad. Someone's gonna hear about this.

I can certainly understand disappointment but not this level of anger. Every attraction has to be rehabed at some point and winter months make sense to me for water parks and water rides since it would be worse to have them closed in the summer when people want to get wet to cool off and the parks are busier than January.

Every time we visit something is down and very often something we really like and it is very disappointing for sure. But its not like Disney closes things to personally hurt us or just because we're there so as to take away our fun. Its just the luck of the draw that that ride is closed at that time.

We're going in one week and will be missing Space Mountain because its currently closed. It will be open when you are there. WIn one lose one. Luck of the draw, nothing more. So I guess I can't really see what the complaint would be.

Gator
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I can certainly understand disappointment but not this level of anger. Every attraction has to be rehabed at some point. We're going in one week and will be missing Space Mountain because its currently closed. It will be open when you are there. WIn one lose one. Luck of the draw, nothing more. So I guess I can't really see what the complaint would be.

My DD loves Song of the South. Has asked to see it all her short life. In december, they wouldn't let her ride it because she was a thumbswidth too short. So all she's talked about is growing up and riding Splash. Now she can't. And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.

By the way, Space Mountain hardly does my 42" DD any good. How do I explain why Splash Mountain is closed? I can't wait to see the tears at the "happiest" place on earth.

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2009, 05:55 PM
My DD loves Song of the South. Has asked to see it all her short life. In december, they wouldn't let her ride it because she was a thumbswidth too short. So all she's talked about is growing up and riding Splash. Now she can't. And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.

By the way, Space Mountain hardly does my 42" DD any good. How do I explain why Splash Mountain is closed? I can't wait to see the tears at the "happiest" place on earth.

I would never put off a trip or not go because of ONE ride, any ride for that matter, but if it means this much to you and your daughter maybe you should hold off for a few months. You may be able to use the flight credit for later in the year.

Honestly I was hoping you were just joking or being sarcastic. I can't imagine being as mad as you are over a single ride in a theme park. Believe it or not, your daughter is going to be just fine, even if she doesn't get to ride Splash Mountain this time. And trust me her tears won't be the first or last in this "Happy Place". I've seen kids, once or twice (or more :blush:) it was my own kids, melting down and crying in WDW. It happens. I'd hate to see your reaction should something serious happen. Have you stopped to think of how you'd feel if your DD was allowed to ride Splash Mountain last time and because she was a "thumbswidth to short" she was injured? Or if the ride wasn't properly maintained and your and your family were injured on the ride because of something that could have been prevented by a rehab of the ride? These rehabs are done to ensure that guests are as safe as possible while enjoying the attractions. I am so sorry this is putting such a damper on your vacation plans, but I do think that if you stop and really think about it you'd see that this isn't as big of a deal as your thinking it is right now. And just so you know, my kids have been disappointed by rides being down in WDW plenty of times. My kids tend to feed off of my reactions. If I casually say "oh that's too bad. Oh well, just another reason to plan another trip back", my kids pretty much mimic my attitude/mood. Sure they are still upset, but if I show them that its not really a big deal they tend to let it go quicker. I hope you find a way to make your vacation work for you and your family can enjoy your time together while there.

BluewaterBrad
10-09-2009, 05:59 PM
It is a bummer when an attraction is down when you visit. Do you ever change the oil in your car, or wash it??:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
10-09-2009, 06:06 PM
1) Unfortunately, WDW has let things go for quite a while.
2) Now, they are getting to the rehab and/or update of rides.
3) This is a good thing.
4) But, it is bad timing for many of us.
5) When the kids and grandkids come this year, we aren't doing Disney.
6) We decided to do Universal and Sea World.
7) Not mad at WDW.
8) Nothing against WDW.
9) We just want a full park's experience.

Polynesian Dweller
10-09-2009, 06:09 PM
And 2 months is RIDICULOUS.

Length of time depends on what needs to be done. If its two months its because they have something that takes that long. It is what it is.

Space Mountain was just an example of the fact that we're affected by it and guests going at other times won't be.

Its always disappointing when something is closed and we've had a lot over the last 19 years. Some examples are a favorite pool closed (the replacement was better), Pirates down, our favorite building at the resort closed, Tower of Terror down and Spaceship Earth amongst many, many others. But we always get everybody through it just fine.

Parents have to deal with children's disappointments in lots of things, not just Disney rides. You know your child best so you'll be able to figure it out over the next while. It just giving it a little time, taking a step back and letting your initial disappointment settle a bit and I'm sure the right solution will come to you. One thing that has worked in the past is "they're going to make even better for us the next time we're here" (or something similar)and accentuate positives.

gerald72
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Okay, I take it that this whole post is a joke. You have to realize that attractions go down for refurbishment, especially water rides in the winter time. Going to Disneyland instead won't solve this problem. Don't you think Splash Mountain ever goes down there?
How many young children even have ever heard of Song of the South? It has never been released on DVD in the USA.

Jeri
10-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Could you just adjust your dates if it is so important?
If you still plan on going at that time I would talk to your daughter before you leave and tell her that they are fixing it so it will be safe for everyone to ride, and that you know she will be sad but there is nothing you can do about it and it is important that Disney keep their rides safe.
I agree I don't see how it is that big of a deal. My kids have been disappointed many times there about one thing or another and we just tell them next time or just move on to something else.
Her level of reaction will greatly depend on you. I always tell my kids life isn't fair, and you don't and won't always get to do what you want or have everything you want and the sooner you realize this and get over the better life will be.

disneykid@hrt
10-09-2009, 07:06 PM
WooooooW.

Last time we went Pirates was down, adding Captain Jack, and this trip it is going to be our first ride! I think when the ride is down, it just gets you more excited for the next trip. Try and approach your daughter from that angle.

Space Mountain is going to be closed on our next trip but will be open when we return in January- which is of course when Splash will be closed... I'm sure we'll all live.;)

d_m_n_n
10-09-2009, 07:08 PM
If I hadn't paid $1K for plane tickets, I'd cancel my trip and NEVER go back. I'll spend my future Disney time at DL instead. You know what Disney? You STINK:thedolls:

If you can't cancel or change your plane tickets, then use them to fly to Orlando and find something else to do!! There are other parks in the area, make a hotel reservation and have a beach vacation, or explore the state. There are other things to do in Florida besides Disney.

sisterslovindisney
10-09-2009, 07:14 PM
We are going in January too and this makes me very sad. We love Splash and have a new family coming with us who were really looking forward to Splash but we certainly wouldn't switch our dates because of it. We've been to WDW three times and DL once and still haven't gotten to ride Pirates because of rehabs. I'm not mad a Disney, just the luck of the draw.
To the OP....If your concerned about your daughter being upset then I suggest you talk with her well before you leave and gently explain to her that sometimes there are disappointments in life but that you will still have a wonderful time and make family memories that you can cherish forever!

ransam
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I"m really sorry for your daughter. I am sure she'll be upset. but there is soooo much more at Disney that I would imagine she'll get over it quickly.

Buttercup
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
It's not like her life will be over if she doesn't get to ride Splash Mountain. Will it? I mean, is the entire trip ruined now that Splash Mountain is getting a routine refurb? If your answer is yes, then maybe you'll have to find something else to do...

Like one of the above posters said, if you remain calm and explain it to her in advance, she will mimic your reaction too. Perhaps there is another 40" ride that she could get excited for since she has reached that milestone height?

Gator
10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
How many young children even have ever heard of Song of the South? It has never been released on DVD in the USA.

I actually own it on DVD and my DD loves it. It's just upsetting. This was to be the climax of her trip - this was the joyful moment that we as parents look forward. And this afternoon, I got to watch it swirl down the comode.

Any ride in the parks would have been fine if it were down. Any ride but Splash. We'll still have fun...we just won't have that special moment we've been waiting to have on Splash.

I just wonder....are they shuting a "water ride" down for two months so they don't have to man the ride during the winter months?

Dsnygirl
10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I can understand your frustration and disappointment... my girls' favorite ride in all of Disney is Space Mtn., and it will be down while we are there in October... and it will have been down since spring. Sure, we could have gone in December after in re-opens, but we just assured them that there would be plenty of other fun things/rides to do to make up for it, and it'll be open next time, so it gives them something to look forward to.

When we were there two years ago, our personal favorite was down -- BTMRR... and 3 years ago, on our girls first trip, PoC was down, and it was all we'd talked about -- "wait 'til you ride Pirates!!" etc., etc.

Sure, we were all disappointed and we missed riding "our" rides, and I can certainly understand how frustrating it is when your DD hasn't even had the chance to ride her favorite ride yet... but I'll bet you can find a way to make it not so bad, esp. if you find something else fun for her to focus on.

I hope you guys have a great trip, even with Splash down... and remember, we've all been there!! :)

Dopey's Girl
10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
While I'm sorry you are going to miss out on Splash, I really wouldn't let it ruin your whole trip. It stinks that Splash seems to close every year in January, but they need to do rehabs on everything from time to time, if they didn't the whole resort would be a wreck!

I know your daughter will be dissapointed, but if you let your anger show, it's only going to make it that much more of an issue.

Jeri
10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I just wonder....are they shuting a "water ride" down for two months so they don't have to man the ride during the winter months?

I doubt that is the case otherwise they would shut Kali down at the same time too.

MNNHFLTX
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes, as several people have mentioned, January and February are the months that Splash Mountain is typically down for rehab. Nothing out of the ordinary, I'm afraid, although I'm sorry for your daughter's disappointment.

Just a question--since you live in California (although I know Modesto is a bit of a drive from Anaheim), Disneyland's Splash Mountain sounds like a good alternative to the WDW version. Maybe for a weekend jaunt?

Anthony007
10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Are you disappointed or scarred of your daughter throwing a tantrum?

As many have said, we have all had a vacation where somthing significant has been closed. In each of my trips I have had at least one of the following closed:
Small World
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Spaceship Earth
Space Mountain/TTA AND Living with the Land

and probably many more that I can't remember. I'd rather have it closed for 1 trip than to have it malfunction and someone get hurt, just my opinion.

At the end of the day, its Disney and there is ALWAYS something awesome to do.

Gator
10-10-2009, 01:56 AM
Just a question--since you live in California (although I know Modesto is a bit of a drive from Anaheim), Disneyland's Splash Mountain sounds like a good alternative to the WDW version. Maybe for a weekend jaunt?

I'm thinking about it. But since I'm dropping $3K+ on this trip, I'm having trouble spending another $500 (tickets, hotel 2 nights, gas, and food) for one day at DL. But I'm thinking about it anyway since WDW stiffed us. The thing about DL is that I can go at any time. I don't have to book flights, hotels, and ADRs so far in advance. Then I would be sure not to miss Splash. In that regard, DL wallops WDW for us left coasters. I'd almost rather not go back to Orlando and have the same thing happen on the next trip.

diastrophic
10-10-2009, 02:30 AM
that s a big disappointment, but you can do other things too, the park will be completely open soon

gueli
10-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I'd almost rather not go back to Orlando and have the same thing happen on the next trip.

You act as if they are just doing this to ruin your trip.
Refurbs happen.
sounds like they are doing long refurbs of Major attractions- space mountain for a good chunk of this year, 2 months for splash mtn next year, PoC 3 years ago, space ship earth 2 years ago- oh wait it sounds like they do this all the time...
So do they never refurb anything in DL ?

Lighten up, or spend a few extra bucks, and change your plans...
None of this is worth crying about- the glass isn't half empty- we just have to get a little more :beer:

DisneyFr33k
10-10-2009, 07:33 AM
And I can't a find a single place to log complaints with Disney. I'm sure they've managed to eliminate any mention of one on all the search engines. I've never been this mad. Someone's gonna hear about this.

When I had an issue last year, I called WDW and asked how I could express my concerns. they told me to e-mail them at: [email protected].
Someone did call me back to discuss everything with me. I at least felt heard.

Sorry you're going to miss out on the one thing you were looking forward to most. Maybe you can turn this around and begin to get excited about other attractions/experiences. Who knows, maybe this will be the best trip you've ever been on! It's all about how you frame it!

Meteora
10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't have to book flights, hotels, and ADRs so far in advance. Then I would be sure not to miss Splash. In that regard, DL wallops WDW for us left coasters. I'd almost rather not go back to Orlando and have the same thing happen on the next trip.

I see where you're coming from and I am sorry that your daughter will be disappointed. However...it's not like this was a huge surprise. As others have said, Splash goes down pretty much every January. It's a very predictable rehab. Disney isn't exactly springing this on guests out of nowhere; there's huge precedent for it, and if one looked quickly to check historical rehabs, it would be figured out very speedily. If they've decided to keep it closed through February (including Presidents' week, one of their busiest weeks), it probably means it really does need that long to be rehabbed. I feel your pain because we often visit in January, and when you visit in the offseason and get far better crowd levels, the trade-off is shorter park hours and some rides being closed for rehab. Honestly, you're lucky that it's just Splash. I remember years where multiple big attractions were closed. And Splash is my sister's favorite ride--but she has often chosen to go in January anyway, because she thinks the lesser crowds are worth it even if she can't go on Splash. Another thing to consider--we also go in December, and in the winter months, temperatures can be in the 40s and low 50s with wind, which is not getting-wet weather. Even if it were open, there's no guarantee that the weather would be suitable for a water ride.

So closing Splash is obviously Disney's decision, but whether you can enjoy your vacation without it is yours. As you said, you've invested a lot of time and money in this trip, and letting one ride being closed ruin it for you would be a shame. The sooner you can reframe this positively for yourself and not be livid over something you can't change and that will not change (though I certainly understand the impulse), the happier you and your family will be. And if a ride being closed really will ruin your entire vacation, then maybe you're right and you shouldn't plan another one for that much money, because Disney CAN and DOES do rehabs all the time, most of them much less historic than Splash.

TheVBs
10-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I am really sorry about your disappointment. We traditionally go during an off-season so we know that something will be down for refurb and try to plan around that.

If you are as upset as you seem, you may want to look into what it will cost you to change your plans. Sometimes you can get airline credit for a future trip.

If you opt not to change your plans, perhaps there's something else special you can plan? Does she have any other favorite characters? If not, when you get to WDW try explaining to a CM how special Song of the South is to your daughter and how disappointed she is that she won't be able to ride Splash Mtn. They may be able to direct you to where some of the characters from that movie will be so that your daughter can get her picture with them and maybe an autograph. :mickey:

BlueTinky
10-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Rides go down every once in a while. When I went down this summer and neither the TTA or Space Mountain were open due to a long refurbishment that is lasting longer than 2 months, I didn't get all bent out of shape about it. I didn't hate Disney; I was disappointed, yes, but I let it go and went on and enjoyed the trip without those rides. You're going on a trip to Disney. That should be good enough in and of itself. Let this go and just keep in mind that Splash Mountain goes down around that time of year and try to plan around it. Doing some research and finding out what rides will be down when will help things like this from happening when planning a trip in the future.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
10-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I'll try and not be too harsh here too, but I've just got to say, what lessons is this teaching your little girl? How do you know this will ruin her trip?

And you said that you're spending over $3,000 on this trip and you're angry about your daughter's favorite ride being closed. Understandable. But think about how many people would love to have an extra $3,000 right now, much less $3,000 that they could spend on a vacation and not necessities.

I hope that you can focus on the magic you can find on this trip, and have a good time.

If you'll be there on marathon weekend, January 7-10, I believe, spend some time watching the half marathon or the marathon. There are some incredible life lessons that you can see, such as Team Hoyt (you can google Team Hoyt or Dick and Rick Hoyt) or many of the charity runners who run for causes such as children with leukemia who would love to be able to spend even a day in Disney World - especially a pain or cancer free day.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh, but it was once told to me that you can tell a lot about someone's character not by how they act, but how they react.

kathiep
10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I can understand your frustration. My kids favorite ride is TTA. It was scheduled to open while we were there in August so we had talked about the rehab and how much fun it would be to go on it and see what had changed.

Of course, the opening was delayed beyond the dates of our stay. I wasn't quite sure how to explain this to my kids. I kept putting it off.

When I finally did tell them, the reaction was "ok". Nothing more, nothing less. I tried to take their lead and tried not to dwell on the disappointment.

We had a fantastic trip. Sure, we had a moment of sadness seeing the cars stationary when we first walked through Tomorrowland but we quickly moved on and focused on enjoying our trip.

I hope you can do the same!

Gregandmel
10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I understand what you are saying to a degree. For some of us...there is that "ONE RIDE" that is a defining Disney moment for our kids that is the anticipated highlight of the trip. We get huge excitement out of seeing our kids excitement and building on it. When the "one thing" isn't going to be available, then it really can put an initial damper on things. The "one ride" for my 9 year old was Tower of Terror. That was ALL he could talk about before we went last October (his first trip - and very first ride in all of Disney). I was absolutely petrified that the ride might be down for some reason when we got there. I checked the refurb schedule daily, tried to get info on when it was last refurbed to get an idea of the possibility of it being down, etc... Thank goodness we were first in line and got to ride it multiple times on our trip. I was sooo relieved - anything else could've been down - but not THAT one. So - I kind of understand your reaction and level of frustration because I would probably feel the same way initially. But remember - you DO have options. IF this is a "make or break" for your trip, then consider changing your dates to accomodate the refurb so it doesn't interfere...otherwise, it may end up being a thorn in your side the whole time and take away from the excitement of planning your trip with your DD. Perhaps you could tell her what's happening and ask her if it's worth it to postpone or change the trip. You may be very suprised at her reaction - especially because there will be SO many wonderful things for her to enjoy while she is there. Kids are pretty resiliant! :mickey:

coneygoil
10-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Since it's pretty darn cold down there during the winter, I'd say it was the best time to refurb the water rides. A couple weeks ago when I was at WDW, I got the WETTEST I have ever gotten on Splash Moutain. My dress was literally dripping for 30 minutes, even after I wrung it out. I can't see how people would want to ride a water ride like that when it's 50 degrees, you'd probably get a cold. And with rides running 24/7 all year round, I'm sure they need ALOT of maintance and it probably takes a while for the Disney workers to refurb rides that big.

Let this be a good excuse to go back to WDW sooner than you may have ;) As a kid/teenager, Splash was closed a couple times when I went. I'd have the pit in my stomach from it, but then I'd look around and say, "I'm at Disney where I'll have fun no matter what!" And even if it too a couple years, I always knew I'd be able to ride that ride when we went back.

jillluvsdisney
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
So many of us have been at WDW when our favorite attractions/pools/restaurants have been closed for reburbishment. Sadly, it's just the nature of the beast.

mrsgaribaldi
10-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Disney didn't "stiff" you, they are doing rehab. You better be prepared, any ride can break at any time, even while you're there. You're going to Disney with your family and you'll have a wonderful time anyway. My friend's 6 year old nephew is lying in a hospital bed fighting for his life right now. Let's remember what's important in life. Your trip will be magical without Splash! It's what you make of it.

ChipNDale79
10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking about it. But since I'm dropping $3K+ on this trip, I'm having trouble spending another $500 (tickets, hotel 2 nights, gas, and food) for one day at DL. But I'm thinking about it anyway since WDW stiffed us. The thing about DL is that I can go at any time. I don't have to book flights, hotels, and ADRs so far in advance. Then I would be sure not to miss Splash. In that regard, DL wallops WDW for us left coasters. I'd almost rather not go back to Orlando and have the same thing happen on the next trip.

At least DW is letting you know months in advance that its going to be closed. Why not rebook your trip sometime if your that upset? I'm sure you can rebook with disney and with the airline.

I gotta say for Disney, better to be safe than sorry when it comes to rides.

fupresti
10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
You schedule a trip for January, notorious for being refurb time due to colder weather and low crowd levels and you are surprised they are actually refurbishing?

Space Mountain was closed when I went two weeks ago and you know what I did? I rode all of the other rides. Personally, I would just enjoy a trip but if one ride being down is going to sour your experience, do your family a favor and just not go.

Melanie
10-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Alright everyone, first and foremost, INTERCOT does not allow personal attacks. I've gone through and cleaned up this thread, which contained some very un-INTERCOT like posts. Please keep things friendly, cordial and helpful or this thread will be closed.

Splash_Lover
10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
I just saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I have to say that I just heard about spash being closed while we are there and I am devistated by it. It is my favorite ride and it would have been my 7 yr old DD first time on it. We were just talking about it and watching a video of it this afternoon and she was very excited to go on it. I know she will be upset about not being able to go on it but will be okay as there is so much more to do. I had no idea that splash is referbed that time of year every year as I do not go every year, this is my second trip(1991) and families first so we had no idea. I did know that any ride has a possibility of being down during off peak times. I will definitly miss it and the memories. I should point out that it is not easy for everyone to just plan another trip, sometimes people only get one trip in a lifetime to enjoy WDW. Is there a historical refurbe thread here or does anyone know a site with one? It does seem like a lot of people responding to this thread have a place to find out if a ride goes down at the same time each year and that woud be very helpfull to share.
Hope your daughter enjoys her first ride on splash when she gets to.

Mousemates
10-11-2009, 11:28 PM
wow...I guess I missed a pretty heated discussion on the closing of a ride for rehab. And as hard as it is for anyone from Big Orange country to side up with anything "Gator," I do understand his frustration (and will actually endure it (we will in the MK on Jan 4 :().

Disney vacations, for whatever reasons, tend to come with a much higher level of expectation (and emotional commitment) than others vacations do . And thus when the plans go awry, it can be genuinely upsetting.

Sometimes folks just need to vent a little so they can move on and enjoy their stay when they are there. I figure this (intercot) is as good a place as any for them to vent, since the folks here are among the few who understand the emotional dynamic that WDW seems to elicit among the faithful.

Gator
10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Disney vacations, for whatever reasons, tend to come with a much higher level of expectation (and emotional commitment) than others vacations do . And thus when the plans go awry, it can be genuinely upsetting.

Sometimes folks just need to vent a little so they can move on and enjoy their stay when they are there. I figure this (intercot) is as good a place as any for them to vent, since the folks here are among the few who understand the emotional dynamic that WDW seems to elicit among the faithful.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I actually felt better after I screamed about it on Intercot. And a few people actually understand my point of view. This could be our last time to WDW for a very loooongg time, so I wanted everything as perfect as can be. Nobody likes a fly in the ointment - and for me, this is more like a fly the size of Jeff Goldbloom.

And thanks to the moderators for trimming out the venom before I saw it.:D

Butterbean
10-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Gator,
I actually understand your disappointment and surprise. I had no idea that Splash Mtn goes down every January and we were looking at a late January trip this year. My DD is so looking forward to riding Splash, since her brother rode it 2 years ago and convinced her it was the best ride in the world. She is now just tall enough to ride, so she is very much looking forward to it. Knowing now it won't be open, along with Crystal Palace being closed, we are seriously looking at backing our trip up since those are two must see items for us. I am sorry that others took your post so literally, but there are many of us out here that don't follow the historical refurb schedule and only get to Disney once every few years. Therefore, we typically only look at what will impact our upcoming trip and don't follow the schedule religiously every few months. Good luck with your trip and hopefully you guys will still have a good time.

CaptainSad
10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I know you are disappointed, but you have to let this go. You are blaming this solely on WDW. You are blaming WDW for what you think will just crush your child. I have been crushed harder for things you wouldnt believe. This is a minor setback. These refurbs are all scheduled to make the least impact on their guests and for safety. I have been to both WDW and DL and there has always been something closed due to refurbs or cutbacks. Universal and Sea World have the same thing every year or any other park for that matter. I have never seen someone on here just so upset about things like this. God only knows there are more important things in this world to worry about. I would see if you can move it to another time if you are going to be this upset.

seanyred
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I understand peoples frustration when a ride is going to be refurbed during your stay especially when its going to be your only trip for a long while. I had to learn the hard way as well but we are fortunate to go almost every year.

Also for info purposes here is a link to the list Intercot maintains for closings/refurbs.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

Lizzie
10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
How far in advance do they post attractions that are getting refurbished? Do they do it six months in advance?

LoriSan
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
:shake:

ajpa
10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
There is always something closed during value season. But we still prefer it because the prices are better and a lot less crowds.
We went n Jan 2007 and Splash Mtn was closed but my dd6 went back on Big Thunder over and over and over! She loved it!
I bet your dd will love will love Big Thunder, Soarin and Test Track, all of which have the same height restrictions as Splash Mtn.

justpooh
10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I just wanted to let Gator know that I am totally with you. I have had my share of breakdowns over this type of thing and, yes, it isn't logical, but I have the right to get upset over anything I want. I don't usually post it though. So no one knows except my room mates (and my neighbors depending how upset I really am). I'm glad your chance to vent has calmed you down. I think it is good that you can prepare your daughter ahead of time, so any disappointment will be dealt with long before you get there. I go to WDW every January and I've ridden Splash Mountain several times, so it isn't down every year (or at least not for the entire month). It was down in 2009 for most of the month, but it opened the night before it was scheduled (and my last night there), so I got on! I was so excited. And I am doubly happy now (that I got on this year) because I will miss it next year. My sister usually only goes once every 3 - 4 years and missed it completely (she's a wimp and didn't want to ride it at night because it was too cold). She is going again next year, but will miss it again and probably won't be back for 3 - 4 more years. So I really feel bad for her and others that don't have this oppurtunity. And by the way, riding splash mt in January is the best. If you go first thing in the morning and it's a cold and dreary day, you can sometimes ride it 2 or 3 times in a row! Personally I think Disney is big enough that they can plan these things a year in advance. That way we can make our plans based on the schedule (and be sure to leave a cushion because they are never up when they say they will be.) I understand they have to do refurbs, but I think they could handle it better.

sisterslovindisney
10-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Just curious...if Splash is supposed to be closed for all of January and February why isn't it listed here on infocentral? CP closing is listed but nothing about Splash. Are we sure the dates of this closing rumor are even accurate?

Melanie
10-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Just curious...if Splash is supposed to be closed for all of January and February why isn't it listed here on infocentral? CP closing is listed but nothing about Splash. Are we sure the dates of this closing rumor are even accurate?

Because it has not been officially announced by Disney.

sisterslovindisney
10-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks Melanie,
We are heading to the World on January 3rd so I'm hoping the rumored dates are a little off.:)

Disney Doll
10-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I haven't ridden Splash in years and it's one of my favorites. Seems like I'm either pregnant or the ride is being refurbed. It is disappointing, but hey, I'm still in Disney so I don't worry about it. We've been several times in Jan/Feb and it seems like they do a lot of refurbs in the off season, which by the way, makes total sense. Heck, I'm just glad stuff is getting maintained.

As far as kids go, your reaction makes a big difference in their reaction. If you maintain your cool and go with the "there's always next time" attitude your daughter will likely handle it much better.

Iluvpooh
10-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I am sad to hear it will be closed for our trip in February.:( But, it will be open again. I don't think a 2 month closing of SM is as horrible for "regular" guest as an almost year long closing of Space Mnt.

aurora, ariel, and bell
10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe you can direct your DD attention to another ride...My DGD 4, loved Sorin, she loved Tinkerbell at the end. Maybe get her excied to see this ride and take the attention away from Splash.

goofyskier
10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
I am with the original poster on this one. Splash did not used to close every January and I would expect that Disney would be able to stager a planned shutdown so that it does not fall into the same time period every year. This will be my third January trip where it was closed. I would say that anyone on here that is as mad as I am do what I did and send an e-mail asking them to change the refurb dates.

Polynesian Dweller
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Because it has not been officially announced by Disney.
:confused:
Except that it has been officially announced for a few weeks at least now on the Disney site. The dates shown on disneyworld.disney.go.com are for January 3, 2010 to Feb. 27, 2010. I've got it open in another tab right now!

goofyskier
10-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Except that it has been officially announced for a few weeks at least now on the Disney site. The dates shown on disneyworld.disney.go.com are for January 3, 2010 to Feb. 27, 2010. I've got it open in another tab right now!

Thats the other problem I have with this. You used to be able to go on the Disneyworld web site and easily find the planned closers and rehab dates. Now its like an act of Congress to navigate the web site to and find the info. This is most likely intentional but is also bad form. Again, e-mail them and tell them you want the dates changed if you are traveling during this time. They may ignore one or two but will not ignore everyone.

Polynesian Dweller
10-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Thats the other problem I have with this. You used to be able to go on the Disneyworld web site and easily find the planned closers and rehab dates. Now its like an act of Congress to navigate the web site to and find the info. This is most likely intentional but is also bad form. Again, e-mail them and tell them you want the dates changed if you are traveling during this time. They may ignore one or two but will not ignore everyone.

Absolutely agree and I have written them about this issue. The site makes it extrememly difficult to find info at times (most times). It took me a bit to find the Splash Mountain info. I found it as part of our planning a while ago and I've learned to really keep hunting.

CaptSmee
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
it stinks, but we've gone like the last 3 years the end of Jan and it's always closed...so historical data would insinuate that it's usually closed for maintenance during Jan. Another reason why is because it's awful cold (believe it or not) to be riding a water ride during this time of year, not that it would stop me, but there are a lot less riders than during the rest of the year.

Splash_Lover
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
I will say that I understand Gators frustration and I know that Gator knows that Disney didn't intentionally take the ride out of commission as an attack on him or his daughter but in the heat of the moment as we try to write out our frustrations we say things that in our irrational mind sound right and we say them. That doesnt mean as we cool down that we believe all that we said but it helps us get to a place that we can work out what our next step is going to be.

I see someone who loves their daughter and wants to give her the best Disney experience she can have and knows how hard it can be to explain to that child and get her to understand that she will not get to go on such a great ride.

My daughter is 7, I wrote previously on this thread about how much she was looking forward to going on splash for the first time in January. I told her yesterday that splash would be down and she was devistated and cried but I reminded her of all the great rides there, it doesn't make up for it being down but she is a Disney ride lover and will be okay but a younger child would have a harder time understanding.

Gator, I wish you and your family the best as do I too all who have posted here, I just ask all to try to understand how we all sometimes need to blow off a litte steam and lets help each other work though those times so that we can all have a magical Disney vacation even before we get there.

goofyskier
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
it stinks, but we've gone like the last 3 years the end of Jan and it's always closed...so historical data would insinuate that it's usually closed for maintenance during Jan. Another reason why is because it's awful cold (believe it or not) to be riding a water ride during this time of year, not that it would stop me, but there are a lot less riders than during the rest of the year.

I realize that it is colder but, if that is truely the reason they do refurbs, then why not close both water parks also instead of staggering?

MNNHFLTX
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM

I don't know about the information being up on the Disney World website for a few weeks, but I believe the official announcement was just made within the last few days. Infocentral has been updated.

Polynesian Dweller
10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know about the information being up on the Disney World website for a few weeks, but I believe the official announcement was just made within the last few days. Infocentral has been updated.

It was on Disney.ca (which redirects to Disneyworld.disney.go.com Canada pages) for at least 3 weeks though that Disney site seems to have refurb info earlier than the main site.

whitney37354
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM

My four-year-old DD saw it last week. Can't tell you how.:cool:

Anywho, I would hope that I wouldn't get so upset if an attraction is closed when we're there for my DH & DD's first (and probably only) WDW trip, June 2010. It's a life lesson to be learned that you can't always get what you want, when you want it. IMO, there are major entitlement problems with "kids these days". I am only 36 myself, so I can talk about it.

Go and have a good time anyway, letting your daughter know before you get there that Splash is closed. I've shown DD you tube videos of things that are at WDW but I'm not promising her anything. That way, she's not disappointed if there is something she can't do.

BigThunderFan
10-16-2009, 05:08 PM
We are heading down in January too, and this would be my daughter's first chance to ride also. Obviously we are disappointed too, but like everyone has said, the refurbs need to happen and we take that chance by going in the "Value" season.

You'll have a great time still and I know your daughter will have an amazing time riding all of the other rides she was too short to ride last time!

goofyskier
10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=BigThunderFan;1973406]We are heading down in January too, and this would be my daughter's first chance to ride also. Obviously we are disappointed too, but like everyone has said, the refurbs need to happen and we take that chance by going in the "Value" season.[QUOTE]

The problem I have with the statement above is that yes, you are going during Value season but, is your park addmission discounted? Yes refurbs need to happen but to deduce that they should happen in January / February because it is slower is cheaper is wrong. The fact is, your ticket media costs the same as it would in the peak season and therefore the total number of planned refurmishments should average out about the same regardless of the time of year. As I have noted in my earlier posts; I do not have an issue with a refurb. I do have an issue when that refurb occurs at the same time of year for the past three years as is the case with Splash.

MongoMil
10-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Personally I feel for you. The last time my family went which was the first time, all I could do is push how great the Haunted Mansion was. Well low and behold we get there and CLOSED. It came up the day after we left. So disappointment I know about. But did I let it ruin anything absolutely not. It just gave me a reason to plan another trip at a different time. So up to this trip. Been hyping Typhoon Lagoon to my daughter and guess what ITS CLOSED when we go. OH well. I see another trip at a different time coming now. So to me there is always next time. I mean the place is so big you can't do everything anyway. So just enjoy what is there and look to the future.

PetefromRI
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
While I feel for you,especially after getting your child excited,I really think that your over reacting to a ride refurb.It needs to happen and we can't always get everything we want.I would explain that to your child and then let it go.In the grand scheme of things,this really isn't that important.

savafan
10-19-2009, 12:24 PM
It's closing on January 3rd, correct? So when I get there on the 2nd, I should make Splash Mountain the first priority ride?

BluewaterBrad
10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
If you want to ride it I would.:mickey:

joonyer
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I realize that it is colder but, if that is truely the reason they do refurbs, then why not close both water parks also instead of staggering?

I think the idea behind staggering them is to have at least one water park open all the time. If they had two Splash Mountains they'd stagger the refurbs on those, too.

All attractions need to be refurbished and repaired regularly, and especially Splash Mountain, which has many mechanical parts, pumps and motors, and a ton of animatronics. O on top of that is the busiest (most riders) of any attraction at WDW, so it gets a lot of use. If it's going to have to be done anyway and its a water ride, then winter (coldest and slowest time of year) is probably the best time to do a refurb.

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-20-2009, 10:06 PM

The fact of the matter is that you can't please everyone. January is historically a slow time. Think about it from Disney's perspective: Splash Mountain is one of the most popular attractions at Magic Kingdom. Considering in the realm of theme park attractions water is a VERY volatile element, an attraction such as Splash Mountain requires routine as well as annual maintenance. It NEEDS this month of down-time in order to continue operating in top shape.

Since this maintenance is unavoidable and January is a generally slow time crowd-wise, it is the most ideal time to do it. It simply cannot be down during peak periods like summer or holidays.

I understand you're upset that it's closed during your visit, but unfortunately Disney can't keep their attractions open 100% of the time for basic safety and maintenance reasons. If it falls when you visit, yes, it's unfortunate but that's the risk you take when visiting during a non-peak season.

BrerGnat
10-20-2009, 10:38 PM
OP, Disneyland closes Splash Mountain every year for maintenance too...in the winter. It has to be done.

In the future, perhaps getting your child so worked up about a SPECIFIC attraction isn't such a good idea.

Seasonal maintenance aside, ANY attraction can go down at ANY time, for ANY amount of time necessary to fix it.

Disney cannot forsee this sort of thing, which is why on the BACK of every ticket, it basically says something to the effect of "rides/attractions availability subject to change...no refunds for inclement weather, etc. etc. etc." Some rides have to close during severe weather. Some rides may break and need to be shut down.

The ticket media allows you entry into the park(s) and unlimited access to the rides CURRENTLY in operation on any particular day.

And, truthfully, children need to learn about disappointment. You don't want your child to learn that she should be entitled to everything she wants, do you? Just saying...

seanyred
10-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Seasonal maintenance aside, ANY attraction can go down at ANY time, for ANY amount of time necessary to fix it.

Disney cannot forsee this sort of thing, which is why on the BACK of every ticket, it basically says something to the effect of "rides/attractions availability subject to change...no refunds for inclement weather, etc. etc. etc." Some rides have to close during severe weather. Some rides may break and need to be shut down.

Its funny you mentioned that. In July of 2008 we were in DL when a small earthquake hit. It caused rides to be shut down for awhile....the funny thing people were lining up on Main Street to try and get refunds...like it was DL's fault or something. I don't get that way of thinking. Stuff Happens.

Not everything goes perfectly even at the Happiest Place on Earth.

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Its funny you mentioned that. In July of 2008 we were in DL when a small earthquake hit. It caused rides to be shut down for awhile....the funny thing people were lining up on Main Street to try and get refunds...like it was DL's fault or something. I don't get that way of thinking. Stuff Happens.

Not everything goes perfectly even at the Happiest Place on Earth.

I was off work that day and it happened to be my birthday as well. I also remember the lines down Main Street right after the quake. Because, obviously Disneyland planned to ruin everyone's day with that.

CanadianWDWFan
10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I was off work that day and it happened to be my birthday as well. I also remember the lines down Main Street right after the quake. Because, obviously Disneyland planned to ruin everyone's day with that.
We were there for that quake as well. We were on the balcony of The Golden Horseshoe enjoying our Ice Cream when it hit. We thought that it was part of the show!:D

We were amazed at the fact that there were folks trying to get refunds. Sure things happen but it is not like it was planned to ruin someone's trip.

KylesMom
10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I know how frustrating it is to have something down for refurb. I assure you, however, it's not only in January when this happens.

We go in peak summer season, and the last couple of years we've had to do without Space Mountain, TTA, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Carribbean. Oh yeah, and Small World. :thedolls: One or more has been down each summer for the past couple of years. With SM being closed this year, it totally changed the way we toured the MK - but we didn't let it put a damper on the fun we had.

wjrhw
10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
We liked to go for DW's birthday on 01/12 every year, but after a couple of years of no splash we changed it the the last few days of January/the first few days of February.

That year it was closed until the middle of February.

Last year we went so I could run the marathon, and it was closed only for the week surrounding the marathon.

This year I tried the end of January again because that would have worked last year, but now they are closed most of January and February.

We are DVC members and need to book our trips far in advance, so our off-season winter trip never has splash. This year they are also closing the pool at our hotel.

Also, I'm amazed that people think that Disney wouldn't close down splash extra long to save money in the off season. Two months is about 16% of the year. That is not needed for the refurb every year. But it is the "slow" season, so might as well take your time refurbishing it.

If I didn't also go in August I'd be extremely upset by this patern.

Iluvpooh
10-23-2009, 06:09 PM
My DDs love Song of the South. We just watched it the other day! It is much easier to find than you think.:thumbsup: I personally don't understand the stigma of it, but that is a thread for another day. I do think watching the film makes it easier for my girls to get the plot of the ride and I also told my 6 year old that SM would be closed for our Feb trip, and yes she did cry, but we live to ride another day.
I know the original poster is upset and I am sorry for her daughter, it does stink to look forward to something and not be able to do it. But, such is life.

W24toISMdirect
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Um... yeah.

I own a copy of Song of The South myself, but my son hasn't not seen it and it's going to see it until I can explain to him why something that was progressive in 1946 is inappropriate today.

Disney is keeping this one in the vault for a reason.

Just sayin'.

goofyskier
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
We liked to go for DW's birthday on 01/12 every year, but after a couple of years of no splash we changed it the the last few days of January/the first few days of February.

That year it was closed until the middle of February.

Last year we went so I could run the marathon, and it was closed only for the week surrounding the marathon.

This year I tried the end of January again because that would have worked last year, but now they are closed most of January and February.

We are DVC members and need to book our trips far in advance, so our off-season winter trip never has splash. This year they are also closing the pool at our hotel.

Also, I'm amazed that people think that Disney wouldn't close down splash extra long to save money in the off season. Two months is about 16% of the year. That is not needed for the refurb every year. But it is the "slow" season, so might as well take your time refurbishing it.

If I didn't also go in August I'd be extremely upset by this patern.

Hence be being extremly upset. This will make the thrid trip in a row for my family during the month of January. Whats getting me even more upset is the lack of any response from Disney to my e-mails. My e-mails to them have been very curtious and I would at least expect them to reply with a standard "we know your upset but," response. Not a ignore it and maybe it will go away attitude. Thats allright though. I'll just keep writing until I hear back.

Gator
10-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Whats getting me even more upset is the lack of any response from Disney to my e-mails. My e-mails to them have been very curtious and I would at least expect them to reply with a standard "we know your upset but," response. Not a ignore it and maybe it will go away attitude. Thats allright though. I'll just keep writing until I hear back.

I've noticed that. I wrote them and have received no response. They say 8-10 days, and I've passed that point. I guess I'll bring that up when I take my complaint to the front desk on Main Street.

mom2morgan
10-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Hmm...although I agree with the comments about the need for refurbishment - I HAVE to say something about all the repeated comments of "so, you can do it on your next trip". Are there really so many people out there with the money to go back multiple times, and the naivete to assume everyone can? For where we live, flights alone are $3,000 for our family of four. This is NOT a vacation we'll be able to take very many times -for lots of people it might literally be "once in a life time". Especially since I thought there was a recession on? ;-)

disneyworld55925592
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
im so sad about this!! it will be closed when we are there and we are bringing some new comers with us this year. its a great ride for newcomers :(

rubato
10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
It will be closed for us also. I've never gotten to ride it. The first year, it was open, but my son was scared of dark rides. Then, our next one, it was closed. Now it's closed again. Oh well. I probably wouldn't want to get wet anyway!:)

crltkcagle
01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I was wondering why it was closed. I just got an iphone and one of the first things I did was get the app that has the wait times for the rides in WDW! (I know pathetic lol) Anyway we have been checking on the wait times to make sure its accurate and it has had a CL next to splash. We are not even in WDW and are obessing over wait times! lol Sorry about your disappointment. I understand my son was finally big enough to ride Space last May and it was closed. He is looking forward to riding it this May though. Hope you still have a great trip!

candleshoe
01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
For where we live, flights alone are $3,000 for our family of four.

Wow. Where do you live? We're in NJ and we're flying down for July 4th weekend and it's less than $1000 for a family of 5. (Well, 6, but 1 is an infant on our lap).

You make a good point though about poeple assuming that you can go anytime. i admit, we go twice a year and have been doing that for awhile- it's really the only thing we spend our money on- but sites like this attract disney freaks many who go at least once a year and we often take it for granted that it is a once in a lifetime trip for some people. I try to impress that on my children who are getting used to the bi-annual Disney trips to let them know how lucky they really are. Point well taken.