PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasmic worth the chaos?

hope23
10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Trying to decide which parks to do on which day and I'm unsure what to do about HS and Fantasmic?? We (including DS 4 and DS 5) have never seen Fantasmic and think we'd like to, but from what I've heard HS on Fantasmic days is chaos and it's hard to get anything done due to the big crowds. So... do you think facing the chaos for the day is worth it at HS to see Fantasmic, or is it better to enjoy a less crowded day and not see it? (we don't have park-hopper passes, so that's not an option). Thanks!

TheRustyScupper
10-09-2009, 01:57 AM
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) IMHO, Fantasmic! is the best evening show at WDW.
4) It beats Wishes and Illuminations, as it is multi-media.
. . . fireworks
. . . actors
. . . singers
. . . stage production
. . . special effects
5) Plus,
. . . you are sitting for the show
. . . you can bring in munchies
. . . you can buy munchies, drinks, beer at the show
6) In case I forgot, Yes.

Altair
10-09-2009, 07:14 AM

3) IMHO, Fantasmic! is the best evening show at WDW.
4) It beats Wishes and Illuminations, as it is multi-media.
. . . fireworks
. . . actors
. . . singers
. . . stage production
. . . special effects

I agree, although the show is a little uneven.
It is more of a hassle to see this show since the reduced the number of performances, but it is well worth the trouble.
:mickey:

Madame Leona
10-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I absolutely agree with the above posts. Fantasmic is the best show Disney offers. It is totally worth going.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
If you haven't seen it, see it. If you have small children see it. If you have young boys Micky defeats a dragon and a host of other Disney villains, go see it. If you have young girls Micky defeats a dragon and a host of other Disney villains (my DD was a tomboy). Hope this helps :mickey:

like2workout
10-09-2009, 09:05 AM
it's sooo worth it!! and while it is very crowded, i don't feel it's chaotic. it's well organized, and the crowd always makes it fun while waiting. people sing and do the wave and keep the energy up before the show starting. it's a great time!

elmjimmlm
10-09-2009, 09:06 AM
It really is one of the best shows at WDW...I think that your time spent waiting in a large crowd is worth it...

Ian
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
NO!!!!!! :ack:

Right up there with O'hana ... another Disney World fascination I just don't get. I haven't seen it for at least five years and I don't plan on ever seeing it again.

As near as I can tell, it's an interminably long wait to get in, followed by another interminably long wait sitting on cold hard bleacher seats, followed by a period of watching movies I've already seen projected on spraying water (thus making them very difficult to see), followed by being herded out of the arena like cattle.

Oh yeah ... sign me up for that ...

Melanie
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Absolutely at least once, so you can decide for yourself. I just went with some first timers (5, 7 and 9 years old) this summer, and they loved it! It's the best nighttime show at WDW, IMO. :fworks:

Just go into it prepared for the wait and the exit. And in all honesty, I've never seen the big deal about the exit. Just wait around a bit after the show and then it's not so hectic.

pox24
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I hate to be the odd man out but I disagree. The show is awesome, but we got tired of the cattle drive out of the stadium a long time ago. As 50 yr. olds we would rather sit at the Rose and Crown terrace eating dessert and enjoying an adult beverage watching Illuminations. Last month with our grandkids we sat in France, ate crepes and ice cream and watched Illuminations. We also enjoy Wishes from the Main St. Train Station. Perhaps someday we will see Fantasmic again, I'd like to.

ChipDale2708
10-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Absolutely! The show is terrific. One piece of advice, if there are two shows on the night you are going, go to the second. There is generally plenty of room and the wait isn't as long. As someone else said, just be prepared. We just saw it last week again and loved it just as much as the first time we saw it. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
10-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Another vote for "no" from us. We had to stand in the back (no seats) and still we waited an incredibly long time. Took forever to get back to our resort and my daughter suffered a migrane the next day due to the strobe lights in the show. The show itself was cool, but not for the price we paid.

Scar
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Fantasmic! is, for me, without a doubt the worst nighttime show of the three, by far. I can’t even figure out how I got conned into seeing it a second time. And there was practically no wait for us either time so that wasn’t even an issue. Everything Ian said is dead on.

Now, that being said, you should see it once to make up your own mind.

DisneyAddict62
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
This is our favorite show, and we see it every time we go! Although my husband could take it or leave it, my kids and I love it! We even listen to the Soundtrack CD when we are in the car every now and then! :smickey:

As with ANY show at WDW, there is a line to get in and a line to get out. It's to be expected. Make the best of it and enjoy your vacation!

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
It is worth seeing at least once! Although we don't see it every trip, we do enjoy it and think that it really should be seen at least once. The kids will like it, there is a lot going on and it keeps their attention quite well.

If you don't have PH passes, I would be at DHS early in the AM, when it gets super-busy, head back for a break, and then come back again for the show.

Have you thought about a Fantasmic Dinner Package? It cuts down on the wait a bit.

lightyearfan
10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
abosolutely it's worth it me and dw also think that this is the best nightime show that WDW has. don't let the reports of the crowds scare you away, this is a must see show, and when me and dw go it's always a must do, sometime we'll even do the show twice if they happen to run twice in the same night

Victor

lightyearfan
10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Fantasmic! is, for me, without a doubt the worst nighttime show of the three, by far. I can’t even figure out how I got conned into seeing it a second time. And there was practically no wait for us either time so that wasn’t even an issue. Everything Ian said is dead on.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
the worst show? ok

Victor

hope23
10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your great thoughts!! I'm also curious about the impact of Fantasmic crowds on the park for the rest of the day. Will we have to battle lines at all of the attractions due to the Fantasmic show that evening? On non-Fantasmic days is the park a lot less crowded? Do you think it makes a big difference? Thanks!

Scar
10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????
the worst show? ok

VictorI said "of the three" nighttime shows, meaning Fanasmic!, Illuminations, and Wishes.

I stand by it. Not even close.

Pirate Granny
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Can't tell you about crowds; but IMO do NOT get the dining package...we got the package, still needed to be there 45 minutes before the show and ALL THE SEATS WERE GONE...kinda defeats the purpose of a package...RIGHT...it's disney making more $$$. They no longer bother to hold the reserved section for packages only. Use to be they would open that area up 15 minutes before the show to 'non' package persons.
:pirate:

MushuGrl
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I think it's something to see if you haven't seen it. I personally have only seen it once, and am going to make a conscious effort to go back this time.

The dragon and the snake alone are worth the price of admission. (I'm a villian fan!)

I vote yes!

nicster
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Background: two 50something adults

We just got back & saw Fantasmic for the first time at WDW (we have seen it at DL before). If you can walk in at last minute, it would be worth the time, but all that waiting, confusion, being herded like cattle... the show was good, not great. IMHO-NO.

Phantod
10-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm with Ian on this one. It seemed like an advertisement for a bunch of Disney films. Thanks but no thanks.

Did it once, won't be back.

Tick-Tock
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM

Now, that being said, you should see it once to make up your own mind.

I totally agree. We saw it once, made up our mind, and don't care if we ever see it again.

Joannelet
10-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I think your little ones will absolutely love this show. Its Mickey vs the villians and of course good always beats evil! :)
I think its a great message :) All the characters are in it :) Hence why the kiddies will love it but you will like it as an adult too for the meaning behind it all :)
They will enjoy it. If its chilly that day that you go do not sit up front. Sit in the middle or back. (they will get wet from the spray if there is a wind that can pick it up) I still don't see the need for getting the dining package for this show and it is DEFINITELY worth it to see it at least once in your lifetime!
If there are 2 shows go to the 2nd. If you are worried about crowds during the day do another park in the morning and just go to DHS for the show if you think its too crowded.

Laughin' place
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I encourage everyone to try everything once, even things I dont like. To each his own, and you may find a "must do" favorite that someone else abhors.
My family and I happen to think this is the best theme park show we've ever seen, and consider it a must. We have always used the dinner package, and been pleased to be able to stroll in and sit in the reserved section, rather than waiting in an often-long line.
We havent been since summer 08, when the park ran a full schedule of shows. At that time, there were so many shows that there was no effect on attendance. The dining package also gave a genuine advantage at that time. Can't speak to what's going on now, but I encourage you to give it a try.

GoofyforFun
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I have told relatives who have not gone, to see it it at least once, It is very entertaining.
I would go if I were you

BluewaterBrad
10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I think it is worth it, but I love all the shows at WDW!:mickey:

LVT
10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Our family 4 (2 now adults) love this show.
1. Long day and finally sitting down.
2. Somewhat scary, maybe sit middle to back rows.
3. This is snack and recovery time. We go even in rain, sometimes 2 times in a 7 day trip.

GrmGrninGost
10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
GREAT show! I love it! :mickey: We always try to show up about 45-60 minutes before show time and get a good seat. Then when the show is over, we let the thundering heard leave while we sit and talk for a while. After the stadium has cleared, we stroll back down the hill and then meander down the street to the entrance. If there are two shows that day, definitely go to the second. It is always a smaller crowd.

Babyvett
10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I agree with other posters. Fantasmic is defiantly worth the hassle. Grab yourself a nice snack from a nearby vendor and get off your feet for a while and enjoy :)

Skippy
10-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Give it a shot. This is mine and DWs favorites (then wishes and somewhere in the rear, illuminations). Our kids love the music, and we keep a CD in the car for them.

This last trip, we got there about an hour early, and the stadium was 2/3rds full. Bring snacks, and little things to entertain the kids. The nice people behind us brought coloring books and let my 2yo play with them (we reciprocated with light up glow bracelets).

At the end, we just waited until the crowds were half empty and then got up to leave. If you have little ones that are skittish, you may want warn them - there are some bangs and booms and of course the large dragon.

We didn't notice any larger crowds in the park because of Fantasmic!

fanofdisney
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
My DH and I would have to say that you should go see it once. We went once then again when other family members were with us and they wanted to see it. Personally, I think it is kind of disappointing once you've seen Wishes and Illuminations. As you can tell the opinions are all over the place. I would certainly say that the dinner package is NOT worth it. I was pulled into that trap once and would never recommend it to anyone, especially if you are going to be there when it is shown twice.
Ian and Scar you are so funny! Don't hold anything back:laughing:

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
We like Fantasmic but there are too few performances per week. Disney's current

Save a dollar
even if it makes the guests miserable.
They're sheep
they'll stand in line for hours
and knock each other down
to see the show.
philosophy leaves us looking at what it takes to see Fantasmic as asking each other, "Is it worth it?".

What happens when we're having dinner a year from now and and I say to our extended family, "Wanna plan another trip to Disney World?" and someone asks the group, "Is it worth it?"

We like Fantasmic but there are too few performances per week.

MaxPower
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
DEFINITELY SEE FANTASMIC!
I'm shocked that there are people on here saying that this show is not worth seeing.

It is the best show in all of Walt Disney World.

Although many love them, Wishes and Illuminations are simply "Stand and watch fireworks while you listen to music."

Fantasmic! is a true SHOW.

Live actors, Amazing effects, classic Disney characters and surprises for those who have never seen it - all in a specially-built theater with its own mountain and a lake. Truly unlike anything else anywhere.

From Mickey to the Villains to the Princesses to the Special Effects to the Finale- there is no other show that is more"Disney" than Fantasmic!

And I would much rather wait for 45 minutes to see a 25 minute show than wait for an hour to ride a two minute ride.

Fantasmic! is worth it.

3Cabsfan
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I completely disagree with The Rusty Scupper...Fantasmic is not the best night time show. Normally I would agree because of the live actors but to me the show is just not worth all the headache of waiting. If you can walk right in at the last minute, ok-but otherwise I'd rather watch a fireworks show.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-12-2009, 09:18 AM
The crowds in the parks certainly do increase when Fantasmic! is showing. Folks without park hopper passes and day guests stay all day on show days, and with the limited number of productions, DHS is much more crowded than usual on those days.

We just returned a week ago and found that the DHS crowds were almost unmanageable that day, and luckily had park hopper passes and got out of there as quickly as we could. We did go back that evening for dinner and Fantasmic. It was very busy, very crowded. We got a seat about 75 minutes before the show, and we were on the very far left hand section of the stage. The theater was full 60 minutes before start. It was so hot, and with all those bodies, it was pretty stinky in there too!

All that said, we did love the show. DH, DD and myself have all seen it before, but my stepson had never seen it, so we wanted to make sure we got there. It took about 1/2 hour after the show was over to get out of the park and we took a cab back to our resort as to not battle the busses, but the show was good. However, I don't think we'll see it again on the next trip. It just isn't worth the time and the hassle, having seen it already.

Stu29573
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Until this last trip I would have said definately go- it's worth whatever wait you have. However, my experience was not great this past time. Still good, but not great. The crowds were horrible (and this was the second show of two that night- it should have been less crowded) Of course, it didn't help matters that the fire from the dragon seemed to be messing up (little puffs instead of big streams) That was the highlight of the show for me in the past, so that might have had an impact on my enjoyment as well. However, in my opinion, having it just on select nights has pushed the crowd conditions to the point where a wonderful show is now just ...ok. Do it, but don't expect too much, I guess.

bruin1344
10-12-2009, 10:56 AM
definitely worth doing at least once, if it wasnt so crowded, i would do it every trip

lightyearfan
10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
DEFINITELY SEE FANTASMIC!
I'm shocked that there are people on here saying that this show is not worth seeing.

It is the best show in all of Walt Disney World.

Although many love them, Wishes and Illuminations are simply "Stand and watch fireworks while you listen to music."

Fantasmic! is a true SHOW.

Live actors, Amazing effects, classic Disney characters and surprises for those who have never seen it - all in a specially-built theater with its own mountain and a lake. Truly unlike anything else anywhere.

From Mickey to the Villains to the Princesses to the Special Effects to the Finale- there is no other show that is more"Disney" than Fantasmic!

And I would much rather wait for 45 minutes to see a 25 minute show than wait for an hour to ride a two minute ride.

Fantasmic! is worth it.

ditto! me and dw completely agree!! great post

VIctor

lightyearfan
10-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I said "of the three" nighttime shows, meaning Fanasmic!, Illuminations, and Wishes.

I stand by it. Not even close.

hey i'm sorry but maybe we're not watching the same shows i know that everyone has there own opionion , but you cant compare it to illumiunations or wishes those are just fireworks with music and if i had to rate it would be fantasmic, wishes, illuminations. that globe thing is getting old, me and dw even skipped seeing it on our past trip.

Victor

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
My mom can't leave WDW without seeing this. It is worth seeing at least once to make your own mind up about it. For us, if it is a warm night, we will go. If it is cold and our kids risk cold hands and feet, then we would skip it.

Thank goodness our trip in 5 days will be mid 80's during the day and 70's in the evenings. We will be braving the crowds (with 2 DD - 4 and 2 yrs old). The excitement of waiting and seeing the characters will be great for them.

:thumbsup: Go at least once to pass your own judgement.

Altair
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
You can see the entire show on YouTube if you need major help deciding, but that's the ultimate spoiler.:mickey:

villavic
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I¡m planning to go to a 6:30pm show. A what time do you suggest to enter the place for a seat?

Babyvett
11-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Yes, Fantasmic is DEFIANTLY worth it.. I would recommend get yourself a quick service meal before hand, maybe bring a book, and plan to be at the que a good three hours ahead of time if the crowds are nuts.. if there's two showings, go to the first one.. but its without a doubt the best show at disney :)

goofygirl67
11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I found that Fantasmic was quite boring. I don't go now unless I am dragged into it, I will be in December. I love Wishes the most, then Illuminations. I could go without seeing Fantasmic and not feel that I've missed anything.

PirateLover
11-15-2009, 07:36 PM
If you've never seen it, then see it! I loved it the first time... we had great seats in the dead center and I remember being amazed. You may very well have that same experience... that being said, the second time... not so much. We did the dinner package and were way right of center. The view was not good, and the show actually bored me. I had a few first timers with me and was actually embarrassed by the way I had built it up.

twinboyz
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Not too impressed with Fantasmic. We saw it back in 2005 and haven't felt it warranted our time since. I have to say it's just IMHO. Check it out...see how you like it!