PDA

View Full Version : Why is it So Crowded??

mjaclyn
10-08-2009, 12:36 AM
DH and I arrived Sunday Oct 4th and will be here until this Saturday the 10th. I am SO surprised at how crowded it is!! We almost always come to WDW in September/October and usually the crowds are much lighter than this. There are 25 to 30 minute waits for rides like Snow White and the Tea Cups when in the past we've walked right on! It also took us an hour just to get ON the monorail tonight after the fireworks at MK and we left right after they ended. Does anyone know if this is normal for this time of year? I realize that Food & Wine is going on as is free dining, but like I said, in the past we've come around the same time and we've walked right on most rides. Also, WHAT is up with the 90+ degree weather and 90% humidity?? I remember wearing a sweatshirt at night last year and now I'm in a tank top at midnight!

Greenlawler
10-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Welcome to the wonderful new world of Fall Break! With Tennessee, Kentucky and numerous other states going to the 2 week Fall Breaks and the Free Dinning your seeing the results. It is true many people come down for the Food and Wine Festival especially the locals. The attendance for that alone is on the rise, as good word of mouth for it spreads. It has steadily been on the rise for the last 5 years. Also remeber that the Halloween Party is getting more popular every year. This is why we chose to go the week before the scheduled Fall Break this year. I know at least 10 family's who are down there from just our little town. If every small town in Tennessee alone sends 10 family's plus, then there you have it.
In fact the week we were down there it was more crowded than usual as well although still not what you are experiancing. There are so many other factors such as a Jewish Holiday where Northeastern schools get a day out of school, and many Brits take their holiday during this time as well.
I predict that while crowds will probably never hit the spring levels in the fall, this time of year will become more popular evey year. The popularity of the MNSSHP, Food and Wine Festival, and Free Dinning only adds to the mix as more and more people take advantage of a time of year that once was a secret only few knew.

SBETigg
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
You're headed into a holiday weekend. Columbus Day weekend brings a significant crowd increase before the actual weekend and just after. Also, the MK can get crowded on non-party nights during the Halloween season- just a matter of that park not being open some nights for the party so bringing extra crowds on other nights. Plus, not sure of the park schedule, but if it was an EMH morning or night, that can increase crowds, too. Sorry about the crowds! I hope they don't cut down on your fun for the rest of the stay.

Strmchsr
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Every time of the year is more crowded now, but as described above, October is definitely more crowded than it used to be.

As for what is up with the weather, well, I won't bore you with the details but it's normal too in terms of there's always a little last taste of summer. Yes, it's hotter than it "normally" is this time of year, but these little heat waves happen as the seasons transition. It's gonna stay hot today and tomorrow and will start to back off a little by Saturday.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
We just got back from a week at the World, and it was MUCH more crowded (and hot!) than we ever expected. I suppose Free Dining, Food and Wine and school breaks have just destroyed the "quieter" times of the year.

SurferStitch
10-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I've been saying this for years now. October is a very busy time anymore, and crowds are big. We've seen crowds grow steadily since we started visiting in 1996.

We went 10/12-10/24 last year, and the crowds were moderate to heavy at times. There were very few walk-ons. All of the popular rides (Soarin, Test Track, etc.) had easily 60+ minutes waits most of the time. I don't think TSM was ever below 90-100 minutes. Even the FP line took about 20 minutes to get through.

Teacups, Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc. had 30-45 minute waits most of the time, even during MNSSHP.

But, this isn't new. We had very large crowds when we went 9/30-10/7 in 2005. MK was so crowded on a couple days that we left the park early to relax at the resort.

October is very popular, and has been for some time. I don't think you will ever see the low crowds during the month anymore.

ChipDale2708
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
We just got back on Monday (10/5) and other than the MK, we really didn't find it that crowded. The MK on Saturday night was impossible; but that was due to Spectro and Wishes. We really hadn't intended to watch Spectro as we had stumbled upon it a few nights earlier not expecting to see it then, but we got stuck at Peco's Bills (scooter battery died). EPCOT WS was at a level I expected for the F & W but not impossible. I agree, the temperature was HOT! But that was okay, more time at the pool! :cloud9:

Basket Mommy
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Well, fantastic. We're headed down 10/28 through 11/2. We have always read that October is a great time to go. Same thing happened to early December. It used to be very quiet, but the 3 times we've been it's been worse than when we've been at the end of January. I guess there's not a good, "quiet" time to go to WDW anymore (which, I guess, is what Disney wants... thus the free dining and other promotions they put out!)

MistressGracey
10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I hate that you're experiencing massive crowds!

I wanted to share a strategy that has worked for us when we have visited when the crowd level was high (we accidently went during Spring Break once-ugh!). We arrive at our park of choice for the day right at opening and hit all the rides we can before lunch. Then we have lunch at the park and leave, go back to the hotel for nap and swim. Pools are less crowded because everyone is at the parks. Then, when it cools down a bit, 4 or 5:00, we head back into the same park (no hopper required to do this) and have a snack and ride rides until half hour or so before closing. Then we queue up for a late dinner and stretch it out a bit so that we are still dining when the mass exodus occurs at closing. When the crowds thin, we head out. It's not ideal, I know...but anything beats standing in throngs of people waiting to board rides in that hot, hot afternoon sun, IMO..

BugeyedMuggy
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
We just got back and were there 9/25 thru 10/4 and besides the W&FF on the weekends the parks were not very crowded. If you go at opening you can get the best rides done very easily. We did not go to MK but my sister did on Wed or Thurs and she walked on all the rides in Fantasyland. I have been to WDW the week b-4 and after Columbus day and have experienced much larger crowds. We now plan our vacation around that one day.

Belle_0717
10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
We've been typically finding that earlier in the week - Sun-Wed are less crowded and Thurs-Fri more crowded. We figure you are heading into a weekend and with Free Dining, etc, it is to be expected. DH & I experienced this in early May and remember Oct '08 being the same way.

We are hoping Nov will be a little less crowded. Hoping to be able to get on all the "tame" rides - have to pass on the roller coaster this trip. Can't wait to hang out on Main Street.

starflyer59
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
We were at MK on 09/09/09 and we walked right onto everything. It was one of the best MK daytrips we have had in years.

We live 2.5 hours away so we mostly do day trips to keep the cost down.

Our next trip is planned for 12/3/09.

TheVBs
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the wonderful new world of Fall Break!

What are the dates of fall break? We're thinking of going next Oct. We'd like to go to the Halloween party too.

barbiegirl314
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Fall Break???? Didn't schools just go back after summer break?

BrerGnat
10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Fall Break???? Didn't schools just go back after summer break?

Most schools that have a "fall break" are on a year round schedule, and start school back up sometime in July.

One of my sons is in a year round schedule this year. He started school on July 30 (last day of school had been June 23), and he's now on Fall Break from Sept 28-October 20.

barbiegirl314
10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Most schools that have a "fall break" are on a year round schedule, and start school back up sometime in July.

One of my sons is in a year round schedule this year. He started school on July 30 (last day of school had been June 23), and he's now on Fall Break from Sept 28-October 20.

Oh, I never knew that. I thought all schools were on the same schedule. Well that is certainly something to think about for our trip next year.

Greenlawler
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I would certainly be aware. I know it is the number one reason we are seeing larger crowds.

In Tennessee and other southern states, they do a modified 9 weeks on, 2 weeks off calender, while still getting the summer off.
This year Fall Break began the weekend of October 3rd and school does not return until Monday the 19th.

Just think of the impact Spring Break has on Disney crowds. It is only going to get more popular.

whitney37354
10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Greenlawler---

I'm in TN too, and it's Fall break for our county as well. I know of at least two families who are at WDW this week.

We don't have school nine weeks on and two weeks off though. We do have one week Fall break, two week Christmas break, and one week Spring break. School starts the first week in August and end the last week of May, approximately.

Where in TN are you? We're in SE TN.

Ian
10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Top Five Reasons:

MNSSHP
Food and Wine Festival
Free Dining
Fall Break
Free Dining

RocknBev
10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I arrive at WDW tomorrow so I guess I will add to the crowds.

My reason for attending?

We do not have a fall break at my school but the State of GA did furlough the teachers so since they were already taking money out of my paycheck I decided to spend a little more of the money I don't have at the most magical place in the world! Friday is one of the furlough days in my school system so I am off to the......
Second reason for my trip.....MNSSHP!
then on Sunday comes the
Third reason......Race for the Taste 10K! and let's not forget my fourth reason.....International Food and Wine Festival! Overall.....I just love Mickey!:mickey:

So I can see why October would be a very busy time at Disney....I'll be one of the millions!

CaptSmee
10-08-2009, 04:41 PM
if y'all think it's busy in Oct try going during the summer! Disney parks are not "slow" much anymore, they know how to entice people with all these great offers they are having. why do you think they run them?

TikiLounger
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
We just got back (a couple of days ago) from a trip that went from Sept 30 - Oct 4. When we first got there, we were surprised about how SLOW it seemed. Very thin crowds during the day and still fairly thin in the evening. Then? the weekend hit. Oy! Epcot was positively wild in the evenings! The Food and Wine Festival was so much fun,but it was crazy...really. My husband and I stood at the bar of the new tequila bar in Mexico for a very long time before we got served. The crowd was quite loud and most had obviously been sampling tequila for a long time before we got there. It was fun...but not what we expected. The weekend day crowds seemed a lot heavier, too.:marg:

mjaclyn
10-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Hideous!!! That's all I can say about our evening. HS was SO crowded that we got absolutely nothing done. We got there about 6 and learned that even though the park was open until 9:30 all the shows we wanted to bring our kids to were done for the night. Then we waited in line for 15 minutes at AIE only to be turned away. Went to TSM to see an 85 minute wait, then waited in line only to be turned away AGAIN at little mermaid. This all in huge crowds, 85 degree weather and 90% humidity. I was done, DH was done and the kids are most definitely done. Heading back to the hotel now with our last day tomorrow. Although if tomorrow is anything like tonight we might as well leave now. Feeling tired, hot and frustrated...

Fangorn
10-08-2009, 10:18 PM
We go home last night after being there for 8 days, and experienced none of the crowds mentioned here.

DHS was pretty much deserted except for Toy Story Mania and it was posted as a 50 min wait, but it only took us 30 minutes to get through the line, ride the ride and get out of the building. ToT and RRC were 15 minute waits.

MK was not busy at all. we walked on to the Tea Cups, PoC, HM, BTM and even Buzz. The only ride with any significant wait was Peter Pan (50 minutes). We were there on a Thursday and Sunday (EMH that night) and had no problems at all.

Epcot was pretty light too - longest wait was 40 min for Soarin', but it varied from 20 - 40 min and back in a matter of minutes. Nothing else came close. Walked on to everything else, including Test Track.

AK of course, was empty. The Nemo and Lion King shows weren't even full. Someone reported that EE was down the day we were there, and that could have been earlier in the day, but when we were there in the afternoon it was up and running with only a 10 min wait.

Perhaps we just got lucky and were never where the crowds showed up, but more than once DW and I remarked how empty things were. Even DS, who lives in Orlando and has an AP, commented on the light crowds.

Now the heat was another matter. 9/29 - 10/3 were wonderful. 10/4 and 10/5 - not so much but tolerable. 10/6 and 10/7 - more like July/Aug.

Steve
:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Hideous!!! That's all I can say about our evening. HS was SO crowded that we got absolutely nothing done. We got there about 6 and learned that even though the park was open until 9:30 all the shows we wanted to bring our kids to were done for the night. Then we waited in line for 15 minutes at AIE only to be turned away. Went to TSM to see an 85 minute wait, then waited in line only to be turned away AGAIN at little mermaid. This all in huge crowds, 85 degree weather and 90% humidity. I was done, DH was done and the kids are most definitely done. Heading back to the hotel now with our last day tomorrow. Although if tomorrow is anything like tonight we might as well leave now. Feeling tired, hot and frustrated...

Were they showing Fantasmic tonight? Because of the limited show schedule now, the days when they actually show Fantasmic at DHS are ridiculously crowded.

Greenlawler
10-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Greenlawler---

I'm in TN too, and it's Fall break for our county as well. I know of at least two families who are at WDW this week.

We don't have school nine weeks on and two weeks off though. We do have one week Fall break, two week Christmas break, and one week Spring break. School starts the first week in August and end the last week of May, approximately.

Where in TN are you? We're in SE TN.

Middle Tennessee about an hour south of Nashville.

I talked to someone from Nashville today who told me about how half the people he knows are down there....

mjaclyn
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
There were 2 showings of fantasmic last night - one at 8 and one at 9:30. I thought the crowds would subside during the first showing but I didn't notice any difference at all. To top it all off DH woke up at 4am with a 102 fever. He's going to try to push through it since today is our last day but I feel bad for him. :-( he's determined to do the Akershus princess breakfast that DD has been looking forward to for weeks. I just hope crowds will be lighter today...

Dsnygirl
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm also wondering if some of the crowds you're seeing have to do with the upcoming long weekend... with it being Columbus Day on Monday, most schools are out Mon/Tues and many people I know took a couple of days this week to go down and enjoy a long wknd. That may be a contributing factor to the craziness, as well...

Good luck today, I hope your DH feels better...

Ian
10-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Remember it's Columbus Day weekend, too. Disney is always busy over holiday weekends.

Like when we went down earlier this year (8/30 - 9/7) the entire place was deserted from like 8/30 until about 9/1. Then Labor Day weekend hit and the parks were about three times as crowded as they had been previously.

Combine that with free dining, furloughs, fall breaks, F&W Festival, etc. and you can easily understand why it would be crowded.

barbiegirl314
10-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Do any of the folks who get the fall break know if it will be for the same 2 weeks next year?

It would be helpful to know this when making our reservations.

Thanks!

wire0monkey
10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
We just got back from a week at the World, and it was MUCH more crowded (and hot!) than we ever expected. I suppose Free Dining, Food and Wine and school breaks have just destroyed the "quieter" times of the year.

LOL!

I'm sure Disney doesn't see improved attendance in the fall as something "destroyed."

mjaclyn
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I would have to say that most of the time this past week WDW was very crowded. The only times that were enjoyable were early in the morning on Thursday for MK EMH and right at opening on Friday at Epcot. It seemed like first thing in the morning there were less people and the weather wasn't as bad...but...once the crowds and heat hit it was horrible. We felt like we were always wet because of the humidity and even late at night it was hot and humid. We were supposed to go around the same time next year but now we're going to change the dates.

AMickeyfan
10-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh, I never knew that. I thought all schools were on the same schedule. Well that is certainly something to think about for our trip next year.

Not all schools even in the same states are on the same schedule. My public schools are off different times than my sister's. We live in opposite ends of Fl....