PDA

View Full Version : Now this is a terrific idea - Magic Kingdom eateries take control of seating

buzz2001
10-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Magic Kingdom eateries take control of seating to boost efficiency and help diners relax

Walt Disney World is experimenting with new crowd-control methods in some of its busiest in-park restaurants, hoping to make the facilities more pleasant for guests and more profitable for the resort.

Inside four quick-service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom, Disney has begun restricting access — but guaranteeing seating — during particularly busy lunch rushes. Managers say the approach helps smooth out traffic in part by eliminating the need for groups to split up and send someone to order food while another person holds an open table — something that can clog up as much as one-third of a restaurant's capacity at any given time.

"This has been very helpful for us from an efficiency standpoint, because everything's so well-organized," said Liz Clark, general manager of food and beverage in the Magic Kingdom.

The tinkering illustrates one of the small ways theme parks have sought to squeeze more money out of existing operations — beyond top-level cost cuts — in the midst of a recession that has sapped attendance and guest spending.

Disney does not break out how much restaurant sales contribute to the revenue of individual theme parks. But experts say it is substantial.

"The food-and-beverage operations are very significant in the overall bottom line," said Mary Jo Ross, a former multi-unit restaurant manager at Universal Orlando and an assistant professor at the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management.

Disney says the restaurant changes are part of an internal initiative called "The Basics," in which employees have been urged to re-emphasize customer service.

Busy, in-park restaurants are an obvious target for improvements; around noon on a busy day, they can rival the longest ride queues in terms of crowds, noise and stress levels.

"It wasn't really a good way to decompress or relax. So we've been really focusing on how we can enhance the whole dining experience," Clark said.

Under the controlled-access and -seating program, guests in certain Magic Kingdom counter-service restaurants are steered through a single entrance so workers can keep tabs on how many people are inside.

A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table.

Implementing the change is trickier than it may sound. For example, the restaurants have multiple entrances, so Disney restaurant managers have had to work with the resort's "Imagineers" to work out new ways of guiding traffic through a single point.

Clark said the program has already evolved based on feedback from guests. The menus that greeters hand out were initially only available in English and were done entirely in text; they have since been changed to include multiple languages, pictures of the menu selections, and information about using a pre-purchased dining plan that Disney sells to resort guests.

Disney began testing the concept in the Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café. But it has since been rolled out to three other busy counter-service restaurants: Columbia Harbour House, Pinocchio Village Haus and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café. Those restaurants range in size from about 400 seats to more than 1,000 at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray's.

The controlled access is used only when that day's park attendance warrants.

Clark said the results have been overwhelmingly positive, both in terms of praise from guests who report a more-relaxed dining experience and in terms of reducing congestion inside the restaurants, where, like on a busy highway, small backups can cascade over the course of a day into lengthier delays.

Disney has also made other, subtler changes. At Pecos Bill, for instance, the resort has added self-service ordering kiosks, though guests can still opt to order from a human cashier.

Workers also recently replaced highly themed, high-backed chairs at Pecos Bill with smaller, less clunky stools. The switch, which Disney said was made on the suggestion of a restaurant worker, has allowed the restaurant to add an extra seat at many tables and improved the aisles between tables, helping alleviate further bottlenecks.

Orlando Sentinel Article (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-disney-restaurants-seating-100609,0,1099425.story)

Mousemates
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, seeing as how our next trip will be during the oober busy Christmas to New Years break...I guess we'll get to see (first hand) how well this works. I think it will be nice to not have to send a scout out to latch on to a table at Pecos Bill.

MNNHFLTX
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Interesting.... I like the idea of self-service kiosks, but I wonder how/if they work with the dining plan? Anyway, the counter-service places seemed quicker when we were there in August than in the past, including Pecos Bill's (although they weren't using this system at that time).

TheRustyScupper
10-06-2009, 09:17 AM
1) They did this seating deal last year.
2) It worked well.
3) Many people complained, but so what?
4) It stopped people from going in a grabbing a table.
5) THEN, going for food.
6) It really is a time saver.
7) It clears tables quicker, and stops table-hogs.

NOTE: People complained last year that they wanted to grab a table to seat themselves and their kids. I think it is a flabby excuse. Everyone could stay together. This system respects everyone and gives everyone a chance at a table, and not just those hogging tables and chairs with strollers, souvenir bags, etc.

afowl1017
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I am a Mom with three kids and one on the way, and I must admit my family is a "table" hog. Standing in long lines with the kids to order food is too stressful, but I must say if this actually does speed up the entire process I am more than happy to go with the flow. I don't really like sitting at a table for over a half hour while my poor husband waits in line to order and pick our food, and then try and find his family in a sea of people. It gets very messy, stressful, and unpleasant at the " happiest place on earth". So I am totally behind them in trying to improve this "problem".

potzie
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
2) It worked well.
5) THEN, going for food.

NOTE: People complained last year that they wanted to grab a table to seat themselves and their kids. I think it is a flabby excuse. Everyone could stay together. This system respects everyone and gives everyone a chance at a table, and not just those hogging tables and chairs with strollers, souvenir bags, etc.

This seems like a terrible idea to me. If you want my 4 & 2 year old kids who are hot, tired and likely cranky because they are hungry to stand in line with you while you wait all the power to you, but it seems like a bad idea to me. I'd rather they sit down and maybe have a drink of water while they wait for their meal.

I can appreciate that it might make things smoother for Disney, but it seems like that is the only party that it's better for. I really don't see how it works at Cosmic Rays with three different food bays with different food offerings. Currently I go get the kids food so that they can start eating then I go up and get the food for my wife and I at a different bay. I guess I can't do that anymore, oh well at least it's better for Disney.

DVC2004
10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm all for this, too. One of the reasons we usually stay away from quick service places most of the time is that we can seldom find a place to sit! We've had to eat outside on the curb by Pizzafari in AK. We've circled with our loaded trays and dodged running kids and other patrons to no avail. Also- I have seen people eating brown bag lunches they have brought in to the parks at the quick service tables. Now if it's not busy that's one thing, but when you have people who paid or are on dining plan they should be getting the priority to sit in the place and not have to go out and try to find a bench or curb. Just my two cents.

tyandskyesmom
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry! I'm a complainer on this!

The last time we were in The World the kids and I ate at Pinocchio's and were "seated". One of the draws of this restaurant is the seating over Small World...especially since the change of menu. We ordered and Tyler had drinks and Skye and I were still grabbing the food off of the counter. Tyler went ahead of us, but not by much. The man blocking the way to the table area was snippy and walked us to the table he chose for us. There was no asking us where we wanted to sit. And when we said we wanted one of the two open tables along the window he said we could not have one. We did not have a stroller. We did not pick a table and "hog" it. We never have!

If I want to be seated, I will eat at a Table Service venue. And even there, I am allowed a request...might not get it , but I am allowed and if it is open, I have yet to be told no as I was at Pinocchio's.

So this is once again a case of the abusers will still abuse and the people who do things the correct way are going to get screwed! Now I can explain to my kids why they cannot have the table by the window or the table on the floor or whatever it is but the people who come after them can...even though they did the right thing.

Boo to Disney on this one...I doubt I will stop anywhere in the future (after our last tryst with this horrible decision) that is seating patrons at a counter service venue. Self seating is part of the nature of a counter service restaurant.

Ransom
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I liked everything mentioned in the article, except I wish they'd go back to regular chairs. I don't like sitting on stools.

magicofdisney
10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Also- I have seen people eating brown bag lunches they have brought in to the parks at the quick service tables. Now if it's not busy that's one thing, but when you have people who paid or are on dining plan they should be getting the priority to sit in the place and not have to go out and try to find a bench or curb. Just my two cents.
I completely agree with this.
----------------------------------------
I'm not excited about this change either. The queues for food pickup are extremely narrow. When it's just the kids and me, we're a party of 5 plus a stroller. I much prefer my oldest to take the youngest to a table. There's less traffic at the counters and more maneuverability.

I did see this in action at Pecos Bill last year. The line to get inside was out the door and wrapped around the building. It made me want to eat somewhere else. How does this generate more revenue?

tyandskyesmom
10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm all for this, too. One of the reasons we usually stay away from quick service places most of the time is that we can seldom find a place to sit! We've had to eat outside on the curb by Pizzafari in AK. We've circled with our loaded trays and dodged running kids and other patrons to no avail. Also- I have seen people eating brown bag lunches they have brought in to the parks at the quick service tables. Now if it's not busy that's one thing, but when you have people who paid or are on dining plan they should be getting the priority to sit in the place and not have to go out and try to find a bench or curb. Just my two cents.

Seems like maybe a different approach would be in order here though. I agree with you that people eating outside food or kids running around or people sitting at restaurant tables but not eating, etc...is a problem but maybe the way to fix that is for Disney to have more CMs on the floor making sure this is not happening. Telling people who did not purchase food there that they cannot take up a table from paying customers. Telling kids and parents that the kids cannot be running around. Not by seating people at their choise of table at the time someone else thinks it is appropriate.

afowl1017
10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
WOW! Some good points are being argued! I am for this only if it actually makes everything smoother for patrons...doesn't sound too good right now though.:confused:

DVC2004
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Seems like maybe a different approach would be in order here though. I agree with you that people eating outside food or kids running around or people sitting at restaurant tables but not eating, etc...is a problem but maybe the way to fix that is for Disney to have more CMs on the floor making sure this is not happening. Telling people who did not purchase food there that they cannot take up a table from paying customers. Telling kids and parents that the kids cannot be running around. Not by seating people at their choise of table at the time someone else thinks it is appropriate.

I hear you- I saw your post too and I agree on your part- why not let someone pick the table they want if it's available when they are being seated? Sounds like a case of a CM not using judgement and not putting the guest first, which sadly sounds like it is becoming the norm lately at WDW. But, with the economy the way it is and cutbacks I don't think they wil be hiring more staff right now. But good point.

Ian
10-06-2009, 10:20 AM
This seems like a terrible idea to me. If you want my 4 & 2 year old kids who are hot, tired and likely cranky because they are hungry to stand in line with you while you wait all the power to you, but it seems like a bad idea to me. I'd rather they sit down and maybe have a drink of water while they wait for their meal.I agree completely ... I'm not even sure what a "table hog" is?? :confused:

How is it "hogging" a table if I send my wife and kids to hold a spot for us while I wait for food? That's not only common practice it's common sense. Why would I bring my entire family of four into a line, clog things up, have my kids running around knocking people over, etc. when I could just let them sit, rest, and recharge while Dad waits in line?

But anyway the change overall is interesting ... I'll have to see how it's implemented first before I can pass final judgement, though. If they really control access to the point where the lines don't get jammed up from having the entire family standing in them and they move faster because of the self-service kiosks, etc. then it's probably okay.

I'd still rather they offer the option of leading the rest of the family to a table first while Dad or Mom waits in line, though.

kwhitt3202
10-06-2009, 10:21 AM
There are some issues with this one. DS(4) has a rare genitic disorder wich have given him many issues (senceory depervation, seasures, anxity,ADD, and the latest we found out a brain tumor) To make the lunch easier on him one of us goes an gets a seat,usually in a corner away from every thing(when he gets distractec he wont eat), with him and entertains him while the outher goes and orders the food. IF anyone wants to try to take a child with these issues throu these lines when he is having any of these issues go right ahead.
What also happends to those familys of children with autism or other issues that this will not work? Will they make an exception with them like the GAC pass?

buzz2001
10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd rather they sit down and maybe have a drink of water while they wait for their meal.That's what table service locations are for.

4myprincesses
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
We have experienced this twice and I am not impressed. Is it worse? meh...

First time was with my mother (in wheelchair), myself, my older gals (7,8) and twins (2) in stroller. The poor CM was trying hard to get us to go into the line, but the girls had to potty and mom's chair won't fit through the line (neither will the stroller though they are both 2 narrower than the ADA requirements) Our usually plan in mom and the girls sit at the table, get plasticware/napkins/etc. and we eat and go. Finding a table for us isn't easy, and we always start in the quietest part of the restaurant seeing as we've had all the magic all day and need to decompress a bit. I ended up taking out the temporary line rails with the stroller while mom took the older two to the bathroom and when I got to the front of the temp line my oldest took the stroller and they found a table while I ordered. Perhaps that makes us a table hog (whatever that is.) We don't stay and take a nap, though the twins eat slow. We never use an extra table for stuff, but it does often take 2 of the smaller tables for us to sit (wheelchairs/strollers/booths...not a good mix)

The second time was just husband, the twins, and myself at CHH. Again, not impressed. Again, decompress a bit from all the noise and crowds. We politely tried to skip the lines, but this gal was a little more pushy. I was not going to make them wait in a food line that their stroller didn't fit in again. Husband pretty much just pushed on past and found a table. I hated to do it, felt rude, but honestly what are you supposed to do? We always try to eat at non-rush time (before noon or after 1:30) and we do not sit longer than necessary.

We do sometimes bring in applesauce to feed the kids while waiting on hot food. We could eat two large meals in the time it takes my twins to eat their little bits. We prefer to and will continue to get a table and then order. Does this make us rude or "table hogs"? If it really is that much of an issue, perhaps Disney should add more tables to accomodate peak crowds.

DizNee143
10-06-2009, 11:16 AM
so thats why when i was at Pecos Bills about 2 weeks ago the door i went in said exit..LOL!!!!!!
there was a CM there..but didnt he didnt stop me..and my mom had no problem when i told her how to get in about 5 minutes later..obviously there system doesnt work that well..lol..this is one thing..i will continue to try to work around if they are gonna start something sooooo incredibly stupid!!!!!!
who the heck wants the whole freaking family in line while ordering..HELLO..major CHAOS!!
i swear some of the things Disney does..really makes you wonder!

DizNee143
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
That's what table service locations are for.

and thats also what quick services locations are for..
you shouldnt be assigned a seat in a quick service..
you dont see mcdonalds..burger king..taco bell..wendys..etc etc etc..trying to do anything this stupid!
its fast food..its the way its always worked! at least it has for most common sense people..

potzie
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
That's what table service locations are for.

Really? Thanks for explaining what a table service location is for. Apparently most people here disagree.

green ranger
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
It sounds like Disney is just trying to be more efficient for themselves to make more of a profit for themselves. Why do families have to feel rushed to get off their tables when they have paid for a meal at that CS or inconvenienced in line because now after waiting in long lines all day long, their children have to once again wait in a line to order their food. Isn't that the meaning of a CS? You have to pick your own table, someone (not the entire family)has to wait in line to order your food, and you have to bring the food to the table yourself, right? I don't really see how this helps the customer. I think it's just redefining what a CS is to benefit Disney.

BrerGnat
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
First, please remember that there are ALL types of groups visiting Disney parks. Not everyone has a party that can "split up". There are single parents there with very small kids, who would not send their little ones to a table by themselves while they get food. MOST often, I visit Disneyland with my two very young boys by myself. I have no choice BUT to keep them with me while I get food at a CS location.

I'm all for this. There is NOTHING worse than walking around a CS restaurant with a tray of food and hungry kids and not being able to find a single empty table, while dozens of families are sitting at tables, with no food in sight! Drives me crazy! Happens all the time to us at Disneyland, to the point where I have worked it out that if we are going to eat lunch there, we park ourselves outside the restaurant of our choice RIGHT at 11am, just so we can get in immediately, get our food, and pretty much be assured a table. It's the only way. And, I find that unreasonable...

I think what they SHOULD consider doing, rather than forcing entire families to wait in line together, is hand out tickets (or little cards, whatever) to ONE family member as they enter AND get in the food line. Once in the food line, the rest of the party can proceed WITH the ticket to the "seater" or whatever, and go to a table. My point here is that ONLY PEOPLE WITH TICKETS can sit at tables. The ticket is the signal to the CM's that someone in your party is purchasing food. Or, if you are alone, or a small party of two, you would still be handed a ticket upon entry, and once you get your food, you would show your ticket to the "seater" and be taken to a table. You'd basically just leave the ticket on the table while you eat, and toss it on the way out (or hand it to a CM upon exiting, so they can be recycled...whatever).

There is a good way to do this, and I hope they iron out the wrinkles and find a way, because it really would make things flow better.

Ian
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
and thats also what quick services locations are for..
you shouldnt be assigned a seat in a quick service..
you dont see mcdonalds..burger king..taco bell..wendys..etc etc etc..trying to do anything this stupid!
its fast food..its the way its always worked! at least it has for most common sense people..Yeah, I agree. To imply that anyone with kids who wants them to be able to sit down should book table service is a bit ridiculous.

Sometimes I think people tend to forget that it's Disney World. Despite what some believe, it's primarily a place for kids. Making non-kid friendly decisions like this is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

prttynpnk
10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
How is it "hogging" a table (man, I feel stupid even saying that) if I send my wife and kids to hold a spot for us while I wait for food? That's not only common practice it's common sense. Why would I bring my entire family of four into a line, clog things up, have my kids running around knocking people over, etc. when I could just let them sit, rest, and recharge while Dad waits in line?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'd still rather they offer the option of leading the rest of the family to a table first while Dad or Mom waits in line, though.

I must agree with you- I think the lines run smoother when they aren't full of strollers and are faster when you have your order planned out and aren't letting little Finster get sensory overload looking at 800 options when he hasn't eaten anything but chicken fingers since 2003. 'm all for patrons (not lunch baggers) getting themselves situated while dad acts as hunter/gatherer and provides the fatted combo meal.

seanyred
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I like and dislike this idea at the same time. I'm all for making the CS run smoother but it seems like the current plan has to many kinks in it to run smoothly. I wonder if they could have two different sections. 1) traditional free for all. 2)new seated service.

Also to define table hog better. I don't think families that split up while one orders and the others find a table are hogs. The ones who I think are hogs are the ones that stay seated at their table for long after their meals. Especially during busy times...If my family is done with our meal we are going to get up to allow someone else to sit...its just common courtesy.

Ian
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Also to define table hog better. I don't think families that split up while one orders and the others find a table are hogs. The ones who I think are hogs are the ones that stay seated at their table for long after their meals. Especially during busy times...If my family is done with our meal we are going to get up to allow someone else to sit...its just common courtesy.I don't disagree, but this new system doesn't solve that problem.

You'll never solve the fact that 50% of the world's population are self-centered morons.

nicster
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
We tried the self service ordering at Pecos Bill's, it was confusing and we gave up & went to one of the cm's to order (we are both very techie so I am not sure what the problem was). I am willing to let them work out the kinks, and open-minded enough to hope for the best. The arrangement almost sounds like what they do at Fresh Choice and some of the other buffet type restaurants here in our area.

dlpmikki
10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I saw them trialling this last year but without the guaranteed table. I can see the point of people who have children etc who want to sit down. I have also been in the situation where there are long lines and when I get my food I can't find a table because they are full of people waiting for someone getting the food.

My understanding is that this system is only for part of the restaurant. If they can get it working properly, and it remains only for part of the restaurant so groups can get their tables in the other part, then it may benefit some guests as well as Disney.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I wonder if they could have two different sections. 1) traditional free for all. 2)new seated service.

Although it would not solve all of the cons of this new approach, I agree that this would be a big plus that could make both camps happy. There are too many instances where herding an entire group through the cash register line is simply too much. I feel sorry for folks with wheelchairs and strollers trying to navigate exhausted kids through the registers.

Just another example of "What were they thinking? Like Ian said, Disney can't solve the 50% rule...

Belster
10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I think this may be a good idea. When we were there last year October we used a self service book at Pecos Bills and at another one but cannot remember. We were on the dining plan. It just so happened that our first CS of the trip was Pecos Bills and a CM was training people how to use it...so he showed us. It was very simple...even my mom(who can;t even turn on a computer ) did it.

We liked it!!

Mom2princesses
10-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I have children and there was nothing worse then having a tray full of food and not being able to sit because other families who did not have their food were taking up tables. You get your food and then get your table when you are done. Hogging tables is not right. If I am able to take my girls on line with me I don't know why others can't. This new process puts everyone on an equal playing field. I agree with it and I hope it is successful. First in/first out. If you don't want to take your kids with you to get food then you can wait until whoever gets the food buys it and then find a table.

Just this past June we were in Epcot and we all went to get our food. We went for a table and this woman who did not have her food ran past me to get the table almost knocking over my sister-in-law who has to walk with a cane. RUDE! The CM there was very nice and helped us find another table. We were almost done eating before this woman's teenage son came to the table with food.

So I totally applaud Disney for trying to set things right!

Granny Jill A
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
I must agree with you- I think the lines run smoother when they aren't full of strollers and are faster when you have your order planned out and aren't letting little Finster get sensory overload looking at 800 options when he hasn't eaten anything but chicken fingers since 2003.

Little Finster! Love it! :D

I agree that something has to be changed at the counter service places. I hate getting my food and then wandering the place looking for someplace to sit.

There ought to be a "staging area" where folks can pore over the menu and decide what "Finster and company" are going to eat BEFORE they get in line.

DVC2004
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
But how do you "plan properly" at counter service? Aside from getting there right when it opens, or eating lunch at 3:30? I am curious because I truly do not know.

BrerGnat
10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Ian, it's good planning when the party can split up. It becomes hogging when you are the one wandering the restaurant either alone or with a small child and can't find anywhere to sit. Imagine a scenario whereby you are alone at the park with one of YOUR young kids...your plan goes out the window. This is the reality for many folks daily at WDW...

Ian
10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
But how do you "plan properly" at counter service? Aside from getting there right when it opens, or eating lunch at 3:30? I am curious because I truly do not know.Easy ... you send someone to find a table while you wait in line. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

Now sitting at your table and taking up space you don't need after you're finished ... that's a different story.

Ian
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Ian, it's good planning when the party can split up. It becomes hogging when you are the one wandering the restaurant either alone or with a small child and can't find anywhere to sit. Imagine a scenario whereby you are alone at the park with one of YOUR young kids...your plan goes out the window. This is the reality for many folks daily at WDW...Then you wait for a table to open up.

That's the breaks ... you can't expect people to traipse the entire family through a line just because there are some people there alone? That's beyond a reasonable expectation, if you ask me.

You chose to visit the parks either alone or with a child ... why should everyone else have to make accomodations to fit your decision?

Joannelet
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
This does not make it convenient for families with young children, strollers, children and or adults with disabilities etc.
What counter services outside of Disney World do you know has appointed seating? The whole point of counter service is you serve yourself even picking your own table.
If you aren't eating the food purchased from that establishment or you are finished eating you can and should be asked to leave. (no table hogs)
I think that families can and should be able to pick there table first and then go and order the food if that is what they want to do. Its not like they aren't spending their money there or are not eating the food from there....You are paying to serve yourself and eat....
of course Disney sees this from a money stand point. I totally understand this. They want to make the most out of their seating areas. It will get more people to eat at that particular place instead of walking out without purchasing food.
I know from my hubby's point of view this new thing will not go over well if there are 3 tables by a window open and they tell us that we cannot sit there because we have a stroller (or don't have one)...that will not go over well for him. Who wants to be told where you can and can't sit when you are eating at a counter service? Thats what table services are for.
It seems menial in comparison with other things that they can be improving on for the guests experience.
But then again I don't think they are doing it to improve the guests experience. They are doing it for revenue. (which they are a company based on rev so I understand that) I just don't agree on it from a guests point of view.

tyandskyesmom
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Then you wait for a table to open up.

That's the breaks ... you can't expect people to traipse the entire family through a line just because there are some people there alone? That's beyond a reasonable expectation, if you ask me.

You chose to visit the parks either alone or with a child ... why should everyone else have to make accomodations to fit your decision?

You know, I don't always agree with your views on things Ian but on this one I do.

In fact, the last two times we visited, the kids and I (one time 9 and 4 and the next 10 and 4) were there alone....Daddy was getting his own vacation! ;) But I would much rather figure it out on my own than have to be seated in a CS venue. The casualness is part of why we were there. We did just fine...finding tables before and after ordering. There were times when we were ordering enough food (dining plan) that one tray was not enough so it was me and a 9/10 year old finding a table with a tray in hand. Sometines he would take Skye and go ahead for a table, sometimes I would...and sometimes we would all wait together to order.

Why is it that the general public is forced all too often to account for the choices of others? I chose to take my children to Disney World alone. So in that choice there were many other smaller choices to be made...there were things we could not ride (Skye was too little still), there were things I did not feel comfortable doing without Daddy, and yes...where, when and how we ate was another! I never once expected other people to change their vacation so I could have mine...it was my choice to do it...

Bethis26fan
10-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I see the good & the bad in this.

DVC2004
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Then you wait for a table to open up.

Alone or with your entire family, this seems unreasonable. So you are supposed to stand there with 2 or more heavy trays, drinks, and your kids and wait, or circle around looking for 15 minutes? I mean if there is a table to even snag, great, but I've been there when there wasn't.

This is why we mostly skip counter service entirely. The time we ate at Pizzafari all of us were there. I got the food with one kid while my husband took the other kid to look for a table. Nothing. Then, we took the kids and our trays and circled the restaurant 3 times. There was one table, but it only had one chair since another party took the rest. We ended up sitting outside on the curb and ate in the park walkway because even the benches were full. So yeah, I'll save the aggrevation and spend the money to be seated at a TS.

Tigerinvestigator
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
As bad as I hate to, I guess I would have to be put in the complainer category here! IMHO it is a terrible idea. The last thing I want at a counter service is to be told where I have to sit. Without fail I will end up being put in a spot I don't want to sit. As a father of three girls I choose where I sit partly by who is around that area or whether or not we are going to be attacked by birds! For instance, I don't usually sit next to a bunch of unsupervised teenagers for fear they will "teach" my young girls words I don't want them to know yet. We also have our traditional favorite places to sit like the windows at Pinnochios which has been a family favorite for years. Just seems like Disney is adding alot of red tape to fix a problem that to us has never really been a problem. The part that really doesn't make sense is that they will "force" our party of 16 to stand in line together, backing the line up an additional 20-30 ft for absolutely no reason. The tables are not the problem, it is the lines for ordering and more specifically the lines for exiting after you get your food that are the problem.:confused:

kwhitt3202
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
just food for thought
If every one had to have the entire family with strollers wheelchairs and all to go though a line to order food how are they going to manage crowd controll there is not much spaces to order food. will they shut the doors til it clears then let more people in and what happens if all tables are full? What are their plans?

valjane
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't like this idea either. Mostly because it's going to be annoying to have to stand in line with ALL of those extra people hanging around there too.

I also would like some choice of where I sit (I try to avoid tables with screaming kids).

I HATE the idea of stools and think that's just tacky on Disney's part. :nono:

BrerGnat
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't agree with the portion of this that does not give the patrons a choice WHERE to sit. I think THAT part is tacky, and probably a waste of CM's that can be better put to use elsewhere. People are quite capable of finding their own tables.

However, I stand by my position that only allowing people to take a table who actually have purchased FOOD from said establishment, or who have a member of their party currently in LINE FOR FOOD is reasonable.

I don't expect "the masses" to bend to the will of "the few" who have extenuating circumstances. In this particular instance, however, I think Disney has actually done something that makes sense, and since they plan to implement it ONLY during really busy times, it shouldn't affect everyone.

But, lose the stools. Stools are for bars. :-o

And let's be frank. If this "plan" ends up costing Disney ANY money, be it in extra staffing needs or whatever, it will be dropped faster than a hot potato, guest convenience be darned!

Ian
10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Alone or with your entire family, this seems unreasonable. So you are supposed to stand there with 2 or more heavy trays, drinks, and your kids and wait, or circle around looking for 15 minutes?No. You're supposed to send someone to find a table while you wait in line. ;)

DVC2004
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
No. You're supposed to send someone to find a table while you wait in line. ;)

OK, OK I get it! :)

SallyMcQueen
10-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I want to say they had the self order kiosks last December at one of the QS restaurants we went to, Pecos Bills maybe. I do remember ordering from a screen and using the DDP for it. Worked well if I remember correctly. I don't really have much of an opinion on the rest of it though. People are still going to grab tables even with the "guiding." I'm evil I guess and make my kids wait in line with me, they're young (5 & 2) and can wait just like the rest of us.

valjane
10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
The problem with everyone waiting in line is that Disney uses that "doubled-up" system where the cashier has a line to either side, then when you go pick up your food, you're standing there waiting alongside the person from the other line. So if you have more than one or two people waiting with you, there's just no room!

For this reason, we always send two people through the line (it usually takes two to carry everything) while the other two go sit down, mostly just to get out of the way. (We are a party of four adults, usually).

TheRustyScupper
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Are you ever happy about anything?

1) I am not complaining,
2) I think this is a good procedure.
3) Like the trials last year, it is not a permanent policy.
4) Just during really busy periods.
5) You can't please everyone, so during busy times, they are trying their best.

buzznwoodysmom
10-06-2009, 05:09 PM
The problem with everyone waiting in line is that Disney uses that "doubled-up" system where the cashier has a line to either side, then when you go pick up your food, you're standing there waiting alongside the person from the other line. So if you have more than one or two people waiting with you, there's just no room!

For this reason, we always send two people through the line (it usually takes two to carry everything) while the other two go sit down, mostly just to get out of the way. (We are a party of four adults, usually).

:ditto: This is exactly how I feel. We usually travel with my mom so that's 3 adults and 2 super excited kids, usually bouncing off the walls. That's just too many people for the little amount of space you have to wait for your food after you've ordered. The lines to order always seem so unorganized as it is. Imagine every single person in line accompanied by the rest of their party. There would be no room.

And I guess we fall into the "table hog" category too. One of the reasons we send only one or two people to order the food while the rest of the group get straws, napkins, and find a table is because it sometimes seems to be the only way to make sure we have a place to eat. I don't think of it as being a "hog" I think of it as being smart and using our time wisely. When our food is ready we already have our napkins and straws and the kids have had a chance to sit for a minute and catch their breath. We are hardly sitting at a table more than a few minutes waiting for our food. I guess we'll see how its going next month when we're there for the busy Thanksgiving holiday.

Goes4FastPass
10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
This is simply 100% about shoving as many paying "guests" though these CS restaurants as quickly as possible in the way that is most convenient for the restaurant and 0% about improving the experience for the "guests".

If these idiots think our toddler is going to stand in line until the food is on the trays and a CM says, "Now you may sit down." then they can well expect my wife to go off - and that will not be a magical experience.

I must be confused. I thought a visit to Walt Disney World was supposed to be a vacation.

potzie
10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
This is simply 100% about shoving as many paying "guests" though these CS restaurants as quickly as possible in the way that is most convenient for the restaurant and 0% about improving the experience for the "guests".

If these idiots think our toddler is going to stand in line until the food is on the trays and a CM says, "Now you may sit down." then they can well expect my wife to go off - and that will not be a magical experience.

I must be confused. I thought a visit to Walt Disney World was supposed to be a vacation.

:exactly:

I couldn't agree with you more.

Kathy Jetson
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I am not happy about this either. We are 2 adults and 1 child. I don't mind just the 3 of us standing in line together to order but I want to pick our own tables we have our favorite spots at each cs.

ERJDriver
10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this, we only go during non busy times, and tend to eat early so we haven't experienced a time when we couldn't find a table, or had a time when we held a table when there were none available. I can see where this would be advantageous to Disney, because it smoothes the flow, and it keeps people from tying up a table for 15-20 min waitting for there food that someone else could be using. As far as the horrors of having your child wait in line with you for food, if you're there during a time of year that this would be in effect, didn't you just wait in line 2 hours to ride Dumbo? How is this different?

seanyred
10-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this, we only go during non busy times, and tend to eat early so we haven't experienced a time when we couldn't find a table, or had a time when we held a table when there were none available. I can see where this would be advantageous to Disney, because it smoothes the flow, and it keeps people from tying up a table for 15-20 min waitting for there food that someone else could be using. As far as the horrors of having your child wait in line with you for food, if you're there during a time of year that this would be in effect, didn't you just wait in line 2 hours to ride Dumbo? How is this different?

Excellent question.:thumbsup: I'm sure there are those who can justify one and not the other. But I know this much when we are at WDW we don't hold ourselves to a schedule and having that flexibility makes everything easier.

Ian
10-07-2009, 08:35 AM
This is simply 100% about shoving as many paying "guests" though these CS restaurants as quickly as possible in the way that is most convenient for the restaurant and 0% about improving the experience for the "guests".Yeah, that's pretty obvious ... they make virtually all of their decisions this way now. Typically, they're preceded by some "survey results" that explain to everyone how their guests were really just dying to be led around their counter service restaurants like cattle.

As far as the horrors of having your child wait in line with you for food, if you're there during a time of year that this would be in effect, didn't you just wait in line 2 hours to ride Dumbo? How is this different?Easy ... my kids can stand in the Dumbo line because, at some point, they're allowed to sit down and cool off in a counter service restaurant while I'm up getting the food. ;)

And just to be clear ... I'm not really worried about my kids. They're troopers. If they had to stand in line they would and they'd behave just fine. My point was more, why make 6 people stand in a line and clog up what is already a very, very crowded area? That just seems like it's making a bad situation worse.

VWL Mom
10-07-2009, 08:43 AM

:ditto:
The very thought of 3 or 4 families of 4 going into the pickup area at Pecos Bill's brings thoughts of the marching band at the end of Animal House. :D

Seasonscraps
10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Other then the bottleneck of people on the food ordering line, I think it's a decent idea. People that have purchased food and are ready to sit down to eat should have some table priority over people that are about to purchase food.

Disney is an expert at crowd control - if this program is successful they will find away to diffuse the crowds on line to make them easier to navigate. Maybe they will insitute some sort of stroller parking requirement or create some sort of staging area for guests that don't have food but have other travel partners on line ordering.

I am not sure why it's table hogging to linger after you eat - you are at that point a paying customer. But it's common sense to sit at/save a table in an establishment you have not technically made a purchase from.

Goes4FastPass
10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
One adult standing in line while another takes the cubs and gets seated isn't table hogging, it's having lunch. What's shuffling along in a queue waiting to be seated by a CM, table sheeping?

The Dumbo ride is an attraction and Pecos Bill is a restaurant, a break from the attraction queues.

What's next, going to get a FastPass to see when our Dole Whip return window will be?

DizNee143
10-07-2009, 12:00 PM
What's shuffling along in a queue waiting to be seated by a CM, table sheeping?

What's next, going to get a FastPass to see when our Dole Whip return window will be?

LMAO!!!! :D

BrerGnat
10-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Don't say that! Someone from Disney might be reading this, and they'll interpret that as "based on guest feedback...". ;)

magicofdisney
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't say that! Someone from Disney might be reading this, and they'll interpret that as "based on guest feedback...". ;)
LOL :thumbsup:

rubato
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM

This is exactly right, but I think it fits the other way too. YOU chose to bring kids, so why should I have to walk around trying to find a seat with a large tray of food while you rest? Children need rest, but at my expense? I have a child, and I would NEVER go find a seat while hubby stays in line. If people would just realize that I could be done eating and done with my table by the time they got their food, and actually need the table, it would all run smoothly.

broadway315
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by rubato
This is exactly right, but I think it fits the other way too. YOU chose to bring kids, so why should I have to walk around trying to find a seat with a large tray of food while you rest? Children need rest, but at my expense? I have a child, and I would NEVER go find a seat while hubby stays in line. If people would just realize that I could be done eating and done with my table by the time they got their food, and actually need the table, it would all run smoothly.

I don't think that everyone always has a choice in whether or not they take a child by themselves or with a group, but I do think the above logic is reaching. Of course you would choose to bring kids... it is a place for children, first and foremost. And yes, a child does need rest even at the expense of an adult since they are children who have less patience, stamina and understanding of the need to wait in lines than a grown adult does. You may choose to stand with your child in line, but if your child is hungry or tired or unhappy then it will be unpleasant for those around you, not mention overcrowded. This is why Fast Pass has been such a wonderful tool as parents can now try to plan around the worst of the lines so that their children only have to stand in a few lines a day - why would someone voluntarily choose to stand in line with a child who is hungry if they could instead send their partner ahead with the child so that they can distract/entertain until the food has arrived?

People the world over have been sorting out how to handle lines & tables at counter service locations for years - you don't see your local McDonalds or Subway or Chipotle implementing this rule during the lunch rush do you? Or the cafeteria at work or at the mall? Somehow we all figure out how to do it without needing to be guided through the process.

Disney normally has a great understanding of queue science. Sometimes the option that works best for Disney (getting people thru lines quickly to increase the number of people per hour) works out for the guest (Fastpass). This time, it doesn't seem the guest and their normal way of handling what is already a stressful situation was even taken into consideration.

ERJDriver
10-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I guess the big question is, how big is the problem if seating is a free for all? Like I said before we typically go in January so since there are plenty of tables we send someone to order and the other folks hog a table :thedolls: So for those of you who are there during peak season is searching for a table a common problem or a rare occurance? This could be a good thing if it prevents people circling like sharks for tables, some with food, some without. I do agree with you that adding unneccasary people to the line creates a problem somewhere else. I have a feeling if there is alot of backlash from this it will go away. I would be curious to see this in action, but don't want to have to deal with the crowds that would warrant its implementation :mickey:

TinksPixieDust
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I actually like the idea. They dont FORCE people to wait in the actual ordering line. We went to Pinnchios. 7 adult szied people. Trying to find a spot that we can actually eat TOGETHER is hard. We had three people in line...2 food trays and 1 drink tray and the rest of the people stayed off to the side and waited. we were then allowed to go to the seating area and they let us chose the general vacinity we wanted to sit in and the open table that we wanted. I have done my fair share of walking around with a tray of food and nowhere to sit while the 7 year old is sitting at the table waving to her daddy at the end of the line. Is it going to be a little bit of a hassle for some people? yeah maybe but the lines at these particular places move relatively fast. i think some of these restaurants needed to do something and this seems like the most logical thing to do.

MushuGrl
10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I was ready to spit mad fire Maleficent-style..until TinksPixieDust's post.

Now I'm good. Carry on.

joonyer
10-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Having formerly worked in the restaurant business, this idea makes absolutely perfect sense from an efficiency viewpoint, especially to a restaurant operator. Although perhaps not from a customer convenience perspective, as many on this thread having pointed out.

Remember, the limit on how many people the restaurant can serve at a given time, is essentially controlled by it's seating capacity (there's just not that many "to go" orders at Disney CS places). They can add more cashiers and servers at peak times but the number of tables and chairs is finite. Let's look at a typical example:

If you have a family of 4, with three of them waiting (I don't think "hogging" is the right word, but they are using the table for waiting) at a table for 20 minutes, while the 4th member orders and gets the food, and then they sit there for 20 more minutes while they eat, then one family has occupied one table for 40 minutes for their dining "experience". OK, fine.

BUT, if that family is not allowed to occupy a table until they have food in hand and are ready to eat, then they sit down, eat their meal and have only occupied the table for 20 minutes. In this scenario, two families could have their meal at that table in the 40 minutes that only one family occupied it for in the first example. This in effect DOUBLES the restaurant capacity during those peak times. Multiply this by hundreds of families and groups and you can put a serious dent in seating capacity. No matter what length of time you use in the above examples, capacity or throughput is substantially increased if you don't let people "use" tables while waiting. During peak times, tables are only used for eating.

Now I know that is not convenient to the many of us (me included) that would rather sit and wait than stand and wait. And it makes us feel even more like herded cattle, but if you don't like that feeling, you really shouldn't be visiting theme parks unless iit is a really slow season. But it makes perfect sense from the restaurant operators' perspective. Their motto is always "turn the tables over", whether its table service or counter service, at least at peak times. Like I said "hogging" is not the right term to use, but using the tables for waiting purposes greatly reduces the availability of tables for customers to use when the place is operating at peak capacity. That's why Disney is doing it. And yes, they will probably more money doing it. After all they have a "captive" audience. We have nowhere else to go to eat unless we are willing to leave the parks. But that's a different debate.

And remember this only applies to peak usage times. And even so, there is no reason for CM's to not let you have a choice of any empty table once you have your food, unless just two people want to "hog" a table for 8 or something.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Stupid me. Here I thought I was being a good stockholder looking out for their bottom line by sending my wife and kids to a table while I allowed other people with wallets to stand around me in the food ordering line.

I'm surprised they're not making us order our counter service meals 180 days out...you know, to increase efficiency and revenue. ;)

1DisneyNut
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I actually like the idea as long as it is only used during peak times when the tables are needed. We have been in the position where we were still looking for a table after one of us had stood in line for 30 minutes to get the food during peak times. All the while seeing people just sitting there at numbers of tables waiting on someone in their party to bring food. I have also witnessed people eating food they brought with them sitting at tables inside the restaurants which is very irritating. They could always add outdoor table areas close to restaurants to help with some of this overcrowding. Now as for a CM not allowing some to sit at empty tables of their choosing, I am one of those more aggressive type personalities that would just smile and kind of chuckle at them a little as I just continued right over to the table of my choice. If they have a problem with it, they are more than welcome to call a manager and we can have a discussion about it while my wife and children enjoy their meal but I will either win or hit the gate and leave. I love WDW as much as anyone but I will never be treated as just a number anywhere and will take my business elsewhere and have done so in the past. There is always Hawaii, Alaska, the Caribbean cruises, the Grand Canyon, etc. The kids always enjoy it when we experience some of the different things the world has to offer. After having been to WDW so many times a little of the luster wears off and the annoying corporate things they do begin to rub you the wrong way. We almost bought DVC back several years ago and are really glad we did not because our vacationing has changed a lot in the past several years. Partly because of the economy but a lot also has to do with policies, changes and pricing increases at WDW. While it is still a good value per vacationing dollar, it isn't near the value it once was and we have been taking trips to other locations lately.

mom2mickeyfan
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
We only go to WDW during the peak time in question and we are some of those "table hogs" also. But never have we had a table for 15 to 20 minutes while my DH was in line because it always takes some time to get napkins and find a table. And I know that I am not like most but I have let a family that had trays and were looking for somewhere to sit have the table that just opened up since we didn't have food yet. So my point is that I don't think I am taking up that much more time at the table that I normally would. My concern would be that if people are seated by CMs then people take more time at their table. I will admit that when I have people hanging out near my table waiting for something to open up, I try to get finished up quicker....I don't linger. So I will also admit that if there aren't extra people hanging around, it will give me the feeling that I don't need to hurry. I know that are alot of selfish people out there but I have also found LOTS of nice people when we have been at WDW. People that have let us know that they were getting ready to leave and that we could have their table. People that have looked to be trying to finish up quicker to open a table for someone else. Will some of this be lost when we are being seated by CMs? Easier to forget how crowded it is? Easier to linger without feeling guilty? Will they start putting time limits on the tables for that reason?

Also...walking around searching for a table to maybe sit for a few minutes and wait for food won't make me leave a CS. But a line out the door and around the building full of kids, strollers, wheel chairs and worn out parents trying to get their kids to behave (or not caring if they aren't) in the hot summer heat sure will make me turn away.

Wadeace
10-11-2009, 12:16 AM
i actually like this idea, this is a way to prevent people from take up more tables and chairs than they actually need. as well as keep people out of the restaurant that haven't purchased food. if you want to sit down and have some one bring the food to you than go to a sit down restaurant. there have been when i've had to sit at a bench outside the restaurant because families take up whole tables for there bags and the strollers and everything else and tables for the people, or the families that brought in there own food and haven't bought anything from the restaurant.

now i understand that some groups will need special assistance and I'm sure disney will accommodate them.

also disney has stated that it will not be used year round, but used during peak seasons, merely as an attempt to make the restaurants more efficient and allow them to service as many guests as possible.

also i dont think disney would have changed this unless they received a large amount of complaints about this issue. so unless anyone has a better idea, aside from the former satis quo, than i would suggest that you avoid the restaurants they have implemented this program for.

WeLuvBuzz
10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Personally I also really like this idea. We normally visit during peak demand periods and usually eat lunch right at 11:30 so we have a decent shot at finding an open table at which to eat. This change definitely takes away that stress as yes, there are times when you walk and walk with your food trays because all the table are taken up with families still waiting for someone in line and the lines can easily be 20-30 minutes long. I do think that you should be able to pick a different table than the one they assign unless you are a 2 top trying to sit at a 6 or 8 top or something along those lines. I also feel accommodations should be made for GAC type circumstances if necessary. I do understand about families not wanting to wait in line with young children. Perhaps they could be kept outside the restaurant playing, or taken to the restroom to wash their hands, or help obtain condiments and nakins, until the food buyer family member gets their tray. You could either have another family member be the runner to let people know when it is time to sit, or if only one parent is in line, perhaps they can call on a cell phone once the food is on the table. I do think the positives out weigh the negatives during busy times.

Chrisx2
10-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Cosmic Ray's is the one where this is going to be a nightmare. Now, the whole family will have to wait in 3 lines before sitting down or can you sit once the first person gets their food? We don't usually go during peak times so hopefully, we won't have to experience this.

The part of the post that scares me is the switch to stools. My kids are older but I would sit a 3-4 year old in a chair with a back but a backless stool? No way. I'm seeing lots of falling kids and angry parents.

mjaclyn
10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
We were just at Pecos Bills last week and saw this in action. I think it's a GREAT idea to stop people without food from grabbing a table before they need it. I hope they implement this at all the CS locations. I was SO frustrated last week at AK when DH and I saw a table in the shade outside of Yak & Yeti and went to grab it (WITH food and two kids under 3 in tow) when two people who had already taken the table next to it, threw their backpack on top of the table we were going for - as if to say 'that's mine!'. What irritated DH and I the MOST is that here were 2 adults holding TWO tables with no food at all while we had 2 young kids, a double stroller and a huge tray of food on one of the hottest days last week with nowhere to go. How RUDE!!! I sincerely hope this new concept works out to keep people like that from holding up tables they don't need.

I also love the idea of the self-serve kiosks. They need to be more sensitive though - I had to basically pound on the thing in order for it to recognize my meal choices.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Sounds like it could work well if done properly.....

Disney Doll
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
I actually like the idea. They dont FORCE people to wait in the actual ordering line. We went to Pinnchios. 7 adult szied people. Trying to find a spot that we can actually eat TOGETHER is hard. We had three people in line...2 food trays and 1 drink tray and the rest of the people stayed off to the side and waited. we were then allowed to go to the seating area and they let us chose the general vacinity we wanted to sit in and the open table that we wanted. I have done my fair share of walking around with a tray of food and nowhere to sit while the 7 year old is sitting at the table waving to her daddy at the end of the line. Is it going to be a little bit of a hassle for some people? yeah maybe but the lines at these particular places move relatively fast. i think some of these restaurants needed to do something and this seems like the most logical thing to do.

I still think it's a bad idea. Take my last trip, me, stroller, diaper bag, 2 yr old, oh and let's not forget mom in an ECV. Even if we were allowed to wait "off to the side" while the men purchased food, how much off to the side space is there? Trust me it is much easier to get the stroller and the ECV out of the congested area and at a table as soon as possible. We usually go during slower times when tables are not as hard to find, but even then there's plenty of congestion up front near the registers.

Even though we do grab a table ahead of time we probably spend less total time that we would if we waited. I am able to locate a high chair plus get DS bibbed and sanitized so that he is ready to eat as soon as the food arrives. DS is notoriously slow so when we sit early I can get him started with snacks from my diaper bag while he waits on his nuggets. DH and I are quick eaters so we are pretty much in and out.

JennPooh
10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I think it's a great idea especially for Cosmic Rays!!

Yes, it will be a pain to make the whole party wait until you have ordered/get the food to be seated, but it will all work out. At least then, we should be "guaranteed" to have a seat.

Usually, we send the grandparents and DD to get a seat while we order for the party. We will just have to rearrange our "system".

No big deal though. At least the efficiency should come on Disney's side now and not ours alone.

MNNHFLTX
10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
A quirk of human nature is that we often decide ahead of time whether or not we will like something, even before we've tried it out. For those going during the busy time frames when this system will be utilized, why not keep an open mind and see how it goes? You still might end up disliking it, but there's also a chance you could be pleasantly surprised.

JerseyDad
10-16-2009, 10:56 PM
....great idea!! Really....REALLY great idea! Part of the "stress" associated with the counter service eateries is..."am I going to get a table"? There is nothing more annoying than getting your food...and then not having a place to eat it. This makes perfect sense......

LVT
10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Another vote for guarantee on table space. One less hassle. I appreciate it at local chains.

bxrluv
01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
:crowd: Hey, do you think they can do something about the seating for parades now??

AuntLaura
01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I support the idea, but have had 2 experiences with this and they have not been good. I hope they have improved the system better. First, there was no warning or attempt to give an explanation. Our family goes regularly to MK and have planned where we want to eat. We tried to go in our usual door at Cosmic Rays, and we were told we were not allowed to come in but told we had to go to another door, which had only steps and no stroller access. The cast members placed in charge of the entrance line to the restaurants seemed to me to be the most green and inexpererienced at dealing with people. My niece had a sleeping baby in a stroller, was told the stoller could not come in. She was forced to take the baby out of the stroller in order to go inside ( how do you get your food, eat etc while you are holding a 10 month old?) , only to see other people inside with strollers. At Pecos Bills, they were reserving one of the large rooms in case a group came, and there was no where else to sit in the restaurant. We went in that room anyway and the whole time we were there, no group came in. Both times this happened, I did not feel like I was in the "happiest place on earth. It colored my attitude for the rest of the day. My solution is either plan not to eat in the park or get an ADR. Sorry.

luvdiznee
01-17-2010, 08:59 AM
2) It worked well.
5) THEN, going for food.

I so agree with this. I can't stand it when we've waited in line for our food and can't find a table. :mad: I don't mind a cranky kid in line as long as the parent is doing their parenting.

DisneyorBust
01-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Let me start off by saying that I have never experienced this dining situation at WDW and with an upcoming trip, I plan to keep an open mind and see how it works.
But after reading most of the previous posts, a question that popped into my mind; How are the lines to order food? My first impression is that they will be incredibly long duing peak dining hours. Is this true? or has the system been used long enough to adequately control traffic flow?
Sounds to me like this could be a trade off.

rubato
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm VERY excited about this. I hope it's in effect in 2 days when we're there. I've spent many a lunch eating on the sidewalk or standing up and would love to be guaranteed a table.

IamBelle
01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
This idea has its pros and cons...I guess I would have to experience it myself in order to see if it would work. When going to places like the mexican cantina in Epcot, my family and I like to sit by the water and eat to watch Illuminations, so if we were seated, we might not get the desired table. But it would be good for places like Flame Tree Barbeque, which had practically no seating when we went last time. The only problem I can see is that, when all of the tables are full, do they turn hungry guests away, or do they wait like a table service restaurant?

magicofdisney
01-18-2010, 08:45 AM
This idea has its pros and cons...I guess I would have to experience it myself in order to see if it would work. When going to places like the mexican cantina in Epcot, my family and I like to sit by the water and eat to watch Illuminations, so if we were seated, we might not get the desired table. But it would be good for places like Flame Tree Barbeque, which had practically no seating when we went last time. The only problem I can see is that, when all of the tables are full, do they turn hungry guests away, or do they wait like a table service restaurant?
I've only seen this in action at Pecos Bill and Cosmic Rays. I'm not sure they're doing this with outside seating CS. I'm surprised you couldn't find seating for FTB. It must have been crazy busy that day.

They have the guest wait in line and as they tables clear they allow them in to order.

A Big Kid
01-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I so agree with this. I can't stand it when we've waited in line for our food and can't find a table. :mad: I don't mind a cranky kid in line as long as the parent is doing their parenting.

Which begs the question from me, how is a family of four or more...wait..MANY families of four or more, wandering the crowded seating area looking for a table, gingerly holding trays full of food and trying to avoid getting that tray knocked out of their hands, making the restaraunt less crowded?

Instead of 5 people in the line to order, there are 25 people trying to navigate the crowded cashier area. That makes sense how?

MNNHFLTX
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Which begs the question from me, how is a family of four or more...wait..MANY families of four or more, wandering the crowded seating area looking for a table, gingerly holding trays full of food and trying to avoid getting that tray knocked out of their hands, making the restaraunt less crowded?

Instead of 5 people in the line to order, there are 25 people trying to navigate the crowded cashier area. That makes sense how?Based on what I have heard about the process, families are not wandering, looking for a table after getting their food, but are guided to an open table by cast members. A quote from the original Orlando Sentinel article:

"A greeter hands menus and steers the entire group to cash registers to place their orders. After they get their food, they are guided by another employee to an empty table."

As far as the cashier's lanes, I'm sure those are a bit more crowded. But if groups are given the menu ahead of time and are guided to an appropriate cashier's line they are probably more likely to get through the line quickly. I have always found with the "regular" system that there is a lot of confusion, with families getting into line and not deciding what they want to order until they reach the cashier. And with larger parties there is almost always more than one person in line anyway, as one person would have a hard time carrying all the food for a party of four (or even party of three).