PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom DinoLand U.S.A.

MongoMil
10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Just saw on the web page that in DinoLand U.S.A. there is a section with carnival games. It says there is a extra charge for these. Just wondering how much a game?

Joannelet
10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I believe they are about $2.50 a game.

Imagineer1981
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Worst section of the park ever...takes Disney down a notch if you ask me. You have to buy vouchers at one of the stands

Stu29573
10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I saw this place for the first time this June and I have to say it isn't absolutely horrible, but it ain't good ...and it doesn't fit the park at all. Even my wife said "what does this have to do with anything?" I guess it looked good from the financial standpoint... Off the shelf rides and games are easier and cheaper than real imagineering. That being said, I didn't bother with the games. Sorry!

LoriSan
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I know the "Wack a Mole" type game is $2.50. The others probably are as well. total ripoff

bruin1344
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Worst section of the park ever...takes Disney down a notch if you ask me. You have to buy vouchers at one of the stands

i agree, it makes me feel like im at a crummy local carnival rather than WDW

Disney4us2
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
From the point of view of a then 7 year old at WDW to celebrate her 7th birthday:party:... the games are fun. From my point of view.... waste of money.

We played one game last time we were there. My DD and I played against each other so she would win a prize. I think it was 2.00 at the time. My DD loved "winning" the prize.
She still has her green/red frog :frog:

Would we play again.... probably not.

Running_Bell
10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
wow... that's our DD's favorite thing to do at AK. She played the carnvial game last time and LOVED it and already has it planned for this upcoming trip. From an adult''s point of view... I didn't care for it.... but maybe from a kid's it is well worth it!

wire0monkey
10-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I like Dinoland and I think it's fun. Before the interstates turned everything into a fast, smooth plain of sameness, there were thousands of road-side attractions in the US, along the old two lane highways like Route 66. (Pixar made a movie about it, remember?)

In the upper Midwest and the West, as you went through places like South Dakota and Wyoming and Utah, there would be places advertising dinosaur fossils and assorted cheesy silliness. (And free ice water!) Not very many of these places remain, but they were as much a part of the small town American aesthetic as the Victorian prettiness represented by Main Street in MK.

The designers did a great job with the theming in Dinoland. It really captures a part of American culture.

EJS-Houston
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
i agree, it makes me feel like im at a crummy local carnival rather than WDW

I second that! I feel like Disney's better than this...but I'm glad to hear there are folks who really get something out of the carnival games...so by all means, have at 'em and enjoy!

#1donaldfan
10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I like Dinoland and I think it's fun. Before the interstates turned everything into a fast, smooth plain of sameness, there were thousands of road-side attractions in the US, along the old two lane highways like Route 66. (Pixar made a movie about it, remember?)

In the upper Midwest and the West, as you went through places like South Dakota and Wyoming and Utah, there would be places advertising dinosaur fossils and assorted cheesy silliness. (And free ice water!) Not very many of these places remain, but they were as much a part of the small town American aesthetic as the Victorian prettiness represented by Main Street in MK.

The designers did a great job with the theming in Dinoland. It really captures a part of American culture.

I agree with ya !!! It is "cheezy" and "carnivalish", but that's the idea behind it and I think you hit the nail on the head....while we tend to avoid the games, primevil whirl is a hoot......IMHO....:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

While I agree with you on the theme and the "cheese" factor, its more the carnival games I have a problem with, seems too Six Flags-ish. Also I honestly never made the connection to the old small town America and attractions, and I live in the midwest off of Route 66.

ajpa
10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
That place is a time trap if you have little kids!

Primeval While is fun, imo, and it's place to get face-painted.

Joannelet
10-07-2009, 02:14 PM
lol animal kingdom NEEDED a time trap before everest came :)
I guess this was their way of solving that problem. I was however disappointed when I first saw this. I too thought it was six flagish....
But PW is the best! :)

crltkcagle
10-08-2009, 08:15 PM
We always skip right over that part of the park! If I want to go to a carnival I can do that at home, not while I am at the best, most happiest place on earth! I have no idea how much the games cost and no interest in finding out.

big blue and hairy
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I saw this place for the first time this June and I have to say it isn't absolutely horrible, but it ain't good ...and it doesn't fit the park at all. Even my wife said "what does this have to do with anything?" I guess it looked good from the financial standpoint... Off the shelf rides and games are easier and cheaper than real imagineering. That being said, I didn't bother with the games. Sorry!

According to the imagineers when AK was being built, here is what it has to do with anything. The whole area of Dinoland is supposed to be an excavation site. There are a bunch of peleantologists working there. Seeing a chance for a profit, Chester & Hester built the roadside carnival for the entertainment of those living and working there.

The first time I saw it, I just cracked up! My wife asked what I was laughing at, and I said, look it's South Of The Border! It's supposed to look cheesy and dumb, it's supposed to be an offshoot of the digsite.

:sulley:

BluewaterBrad
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM

Although I dont really enjoy Dinoland, your post gave great info and I agree.:mickey: