PDA

View Full Version : Walking from CBR

rubato
10-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Can you walk to Epcot from CBR? We're staying there for the first time and just wondering how far from everything it is?

jakeybake
10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Not if you want to make it there alive!! :D

Jay

MidnTPK
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Sorry, there's no walking to any park from the CBR.

But the central location makes bus rides short to all parks. And the CBR doesn't share bus routes with other resorts, so that's nice too.

SallyMcQueen
10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Way too far to walk, but it is only like a 5-10 minute bus ride.

rubato
10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's hard to tell distances looking at the property maps. I like that it's got it's own bus.

Patricia
10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Actually... if you like to walk, it's not far to either Epcot or DHS. It's about a mile to each from the backside of CBR (Buena Vista Dr). I find that to be about a 15-20 minute walk, but it depends on your level of fitness.

There is a foot path on Buena Vista drive (starts at Victory Way) that will take you in behind the Boardwalk where you can access Epcot through the International gateway (opens at same time as main entrance).. or keep going on Buena Vista till you come to the water way (where the ferries pass by and the walkway from the other resorts meet) the walkway goes under the road and turns into the entry area of DHS.

When I was in the world last time we found we could walk to a lot of places people wouldn't bother to. We were told it was too far to walk to Goodings from our DTD resort, after checking a map, it was less than a mile. Easily walked. I located all the foot paths on Google Earth before heading out. Some roads will not have sidewalks so you need to check first.

A good comparison would be the walk from The Dolphin to DHS.

Polynesian Dweller
10-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Just to add to the last post, the path to DHS also goes the other way to Epcot. So, yes, there is some walking available from CBR to both parks.

MidnTPK
10-02-2009, 08:37 AM
There is a foot path on Buena Vista drive (starts at Victory Way)
Yes, but there is no walkway OUT of the CBR. Once you get to Buena Vista/Victory intersection there is sidewalk, buy you still have to get out of the resort to that intersection....and there's no pedestrian walkway for that.

The walkway between Epcot and DHS is a maintained, patrolled, and well-lit pedestrian thoroughfare. To compare traipsing through the CBR's woods and grassy areas to this walkway is quite silly.

But you are right, it could be done. I could also walk from my office here in Washington, DC to Epcot, but that's kind of ridiculous.

Scar
10-02-2009, 09:34 AM
rubato,

Listen to Patricia, do not listen to anyone telling you that you can't do it. I have walked from POP to The Dolphin, passing CBR along the way. And to MidnTPK, why is a walkway necessary? I walk on grass and roads all the time at home, so why not at WDW?

rubato
10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I guess I should have clarified that I am a walker. I walk everywhere that it's feasibly possible. My son is as well, but hubby isn't. Maybe we'll let him ride the bus and meet him there! If it were around a mile each way, it wouldn't be anything for us, even with the walking at the parks. Okay, maybe on day 7 it will be!

MidnTPK
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
And to MidnTPK, why is a walkway necessary? I walk on grass and roads all the time at home, so why not at WDW?

Let's start with because Disney doesn't want you to. Disney isn't dumb. It would have built appropriate sidewalks if it wanted people to be walking from the CBR to parks.

WDW is mostly private property. It might be also considered trespassing to be in places not designated for guest use.

In some places it's also illegal to walk on roads and related rights of way for public safety reasons. And because it will impede vehicular traffic. I don't know the local code in the reedy Creek Improvement District, so caveat emptor [sic].

Scar
10-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Let's start with because Disney doesn't want you to. Disney isn't dumb. It would have built appropriate sidewalks if it wanted people to be walking from the CBR to parks.

WDW is mostly private property. It might be also considered trespassing to be in places not designated for guest use.I'd be interested to know if that is true. If I get a ticket, I'll let you know. ;)

In some places it's also illegal to walk on roads and related rights of way for public safety reasons. And because it will impede vehicular traffic. I don't know the local code in the reedy Creek Improvement District, so caveat emptor [sic].I don't know about FL, but in NJ it is only illegal to walk on controlled access roads (ie. roads with ramps and no stops as opposed to roads with turns and lights.)

Also, I just looked at Google Earth, and there is clearly a crosswalk at the traffic light about 100 yards from the Aruba parking lot. I can't imagine Disney would have a problem with that. But, who knows?

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
The sidewalk to DHS starts at Victory Way and proceeds west to DHS and Epcot. There is a pedestrian crosswalk and traffic lights there.

It's true there is no path but it's just a short way across mowed lawn. It's not trespassing to cross it anymore than walking on lawns at the Poly. Maybe not as convenient as a path but no different than walking on grass in a park. So yes it can be done, and it is done. We see people doing that walk every visit to the world.

Patricia
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I guess I should have clarified that I am a walker. I walk everywhere that it's feasibly possible. My son is as well, but hubby isn't. Maybe we'll let him ride the bus and meet him there! If it were around a mile each way, it wouldn't be anything for us, even with the walking at the parks. Okay, maybe on day 7 it will be!

We are walkers too and prefer it to bussing when possible, for us a mile is nothing.

Yes, if you cut across the Aruba parking lot you'll briefly (a minute?) cross a manicured lawn before you hit pavement (Buena Vista Dr and Victory Way intersection) and see a cross walk, taking you to a foot path that Disney built for guest to walk on along Buena Vista Rd. You will not end up anywhere you shouldn't be. We walked everywhere and were never told we couldn't be on the resort lawns, we were even directed by CM's on a couple of occasions (although, they will place signs for new grass that should be respected). Many times we walked through Resort entry gates only to get a pleasant "Hello, have a Disney Day"" from the gate keepers.

villavic
10-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Tha makes sense. I love to walk, too, though while being in WDW I guess I would try to be within the parks most of the day, but I do enjoy exploring the area, the woods. I remember when I was a kid, I escape from mom & dad while waiting at MK exit, and explored Polinesian Village, it was beautiful at night, so I guess I'd enjoy to explore the woods between the parks and resorts. But.. I think WDW doesn't agree with me. So they don't build sidewalks. Imagine kids walking and running through the woods and roads. It's one more thing for Disney to worry about.

BluewaterBrad
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Good info!! Thanks!:mickey:

MidnTPK
04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Today's accident outside of Fort Wilderness (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=168993) highlights another reason I don't think this is a good idea: doing something unexpected on WDW roadways. The high concentration of unfamiliar drivers (all us tourists) and buses coming and going from the parks is a recipe for an awful accident.

Tourists don't know where they are going and are paying less attention to the road than they normally do.

Bus drivers drive the route thousands of times, and get use to doing something a certain way. Inject an unexpected pedestrian in the situation, and I worry about outcome.