PDA

View Full Version : 40 inch rides for 39 1/2 inch kids.

disnfrito
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey everyone....need some good ideas on how to make sure our 39 1/2 inch girl will get on the 40 inch rides. Shouldn't be too much trouble by Dec.....but just want to have some wiggle room.
Thanks everyone.

Polynesian Dweller
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Because the height restrictions are about safety the only advice that can be given is have her grow that half inch. If she reaches the measure she'll get on. People on the board are unlikely to offer ways around the safety measures and Disney knows all the tricks.

ajpa
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Make sure she gets lots of sleep. Kids actually do most of their growing while they are asleep (no lie).

grwoolf
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Disney is very strict about measuring and they will not let her on if her head does not touch the 40 stick they measure with. However,I don't think you will have a problem as long as she isn't wearing shoes with very thin soles. This is not bending the rules (as some might chime in), the height restrictions account for reasonable shoes. I do see some kids with very thick soled shoes on and I've seen them turned away. I think shoe thickness is at the judgement of the cm.

Buttercup
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Sorry - my son has a short brush-cut hairstyle.
He stood under one of those measuring signs that they have, and his HAIR was touching the line, but not his actual scalp. They wouldn't let him on.

In cases like this, I'd rather not risk it. They test the safety of the rides based on someone who is AT LEAST 40-inches. Anyone less, they can't ensure their safety.

But go up to the rides' CM's - a lot of times they have cute little cards for kids that are just slightly short. We got one for Splash Mountain - it says that next year he's welcome to come back when he's taller and it has a space on it where you can write the date of their first big ride, etc.

CanadianWDWFan
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I am going to step in now and remind everyone of the Terms of Service about getting around the system. The forums are not to discuss ways of bending the rules

The height restrictions are there for safety reasons and should not be circumvented.

grwoolf
09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
They test the safety of the rides based on someone who is AT LEAST 40-inches. Anyone less, they can't ensure their safety.

Not exactly. They set the height limits based on children that are 40 inches with typical shoes on (with a large margin included for safety).

In reality, the primary reason height is choosen is that it is the only thing that can be objectivly measured quickly and fairly. The key factor with ride safety is usually the maturity of the child (physical and mental). The parent is in the best position to accurately measure maturity but Disney can't measure or enforce that. If your kid is scared to death of high drops and might freak out, I would not put them on splash mountain if they were 39 inches tall or 45 inches tall. Some restraint rides like RRC are a little different because kids are physically locked in and height plays a key role, but it's still based on height w/shoes.

seanyred
09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
My DS who is only 2.5 is almost 40inches tall and is going on his first Disney trip this November...If for some reason he is tall enough by then I still will probably be conservative and not let him ride those rides. At very least I'll see how he does on Goofy's Barnstormer and then go from there. So height is one thing but knowing your kid is another.

BigRedDad
09-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I for one would not risk my daughter's safety over a ride restriction. She is far more important than that. I laid down the law with her for those height restricted lines. She was very clear in understanding if she could not get on one. I also had something for the weepy-eye syndrome it causes like a small new Mickey or Minnie doll. It usually only happens the first time, because the parents should learn to avoid those rides after the first incident.

aurora, ariel, and bell
09-30-2009, 03:23 PM
We just came back and had our 39 and 7/8 inch granddaughter with us. We were there for 14 days, she rode all the rides, splash, tot, sorin, test track, big thunder. on the last day we wanted to ride splash mountain for the last time and she was turned away. First and only time in 14 days. We were all disappointed especially her and her sister. I don't understand how she was able to ride without question and then turned away.

I think that they should have places where they can get a wrist band and stamp like the do on Kali, that way everything is treated the same. ( plus you don't hold up the lines checking and rechecking the heights) Sorry to rant but you hit a note....its really hard to explain to an almost 4 yr old that NOW she can't go!

BrerGnat
09-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Some CM's will carry a piece of paper. If the child is "close", they will try to slide the paper between their head and the top of the measuring bar. If the paper goes through, they CANNOT ride. If the paper will not fit, they are tall enough. No joke. They do this routinely at DL, particularly with boys who have "spiky" or thick hair...

Shoes do make a difference. For example, my son was NOT tall enough for a 40" ride while wearing Crocs. A couple days later, in his sneakers, he WAS tall enough. Barefoot, he is very close to 40", but not quite.

Rekenna
09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
First of all - we are Kentuckians born and bred!

Our DS3 will also be close when we go the last week of October. I am hoping he is hitting that 40" mark by then, he is pretty close. He is a ride hound and has no fear. He has Disney books showing all the rides and is really excited about BTMR especially. Good luck!

At our local amusement park they have the wristbands that do designate height allowances-I think they have this for some rides at WDW, but maybe not a general, overall, okay to ride bracelet. That would be nice and save confusion for CM's, parents, and excited kids.

Make her do stretching exercises!!!

seanyred
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah it would be nice if they had several places where you could get a wristband that would show what rides they can ride on.

Zone Stop
09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Having spent my fair amount of time at Test Track and Mission: SPACE, I want to emphasize the whole "Typical Shoes" thing. Don't wear flip flops, and don't be a tool and put your child in platform shoes to try and cheat. Most importantly, remember that we're doing this for the benefit of you and your child, not just to be mean.

Melanie
10-01-2009, 06:39 AM
I can't recall the specifics of why it didn't work out, but they did try the wristband thing at Disneyland a few years back.

wire0monkey
10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
DS2 was 39.5 inches in his bare feet on the last trip. A pair of normal tennis shoes with a solid heel put him right over the 40 inch mark.

Imagineer1981
10-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Its actually refreshing to see people who agree with the height restrictions. So many times while working there as a CM did I have to deal with angry parents because their child just barely didn't make it. You try to explain its for their safety but they don't care, they just get angry

momof3+twins
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
My friend just returned and she told her son to stretch his neck, and it work. FUNNY!!
I wouldn't think most of the 40 inch rides are all that unsafe but the kids might not like them.

blondeinbrandon
10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
My younger son was passed to ride Primevil Whirl and when we got to the front of the line they had a different measure thing, and he failed. His big brother and Dad rode while he and I waited in the parent swap area. He was crying and the CM gave him a piece of paper that was good for free icecream for the four of us. After that he felt like a hero, he got us all ice cream! :cloud9:

mouseketeer mom
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Don't push the height thing. We did. On RNRC. My son was a bit short for the ride, but his hair was tall (super thick,curly)..and he didn't fit quite right into the restraints, his head was bobbing all over the place during that turbulent ride and he felt awful the whole day after the ride. We learned the hard way. The height restrictions are there for a reason. Don't push it.

Goes4FastPass
10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I won't make any circumvent the system suggestions. Any such suggestions (1) wouldn't work and (2) don't fit Intercot TOS.

But I don't believe for a second a child who is 39.75" tall is in danger on Splash Mountain, BTMRailroad, TTrack or Soarin' while the child who is a quarter of an inch taller is safe. The danger/safe line simply can't be that fine.

Like the Army slogan, "Be All You Can Be". I once took a kid who was right on the line and we practiced being tall (really). Stand up straight, chin up, hold still. If this makes the child tall enough, fine. If not, I don't thing a big harrang at the ride entrance is fun for me, my child or the CM.

I'm taking a 39 and a half incher (http://www.gregcable.com/PapaAidanSep09.jpg) to the MK in 2 weeks. Here's my he's too short plan: When we all arrive at BTMRR and SplMtn the rest of the group will ride. Short guy and I will take the train on to Toon Town and get a head start there. When the others get done riding they'll catch up.

aurora, ariel, and bell
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Goes4FastPass, I agree with you entirely, have a plan so if the height isn't met then they can do something else, but in our case we were ready for the no at the beginning of the trip, never got it until the last day, by then she was used to being able to go on and couldn't understand why she was being told no now...I just wish they were more consistant.

seanyred
10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't you think they use the height for a couple of reasons.
- They are standardized (or at least try to be)
- So the safety restraints work properly
- Age and Height Associations. (this is a bit of a stretch) but for instance if a Child is 40" then they are typically this ____ Age. Not sure what the average would be for that height.

I'd love to take my DS of BTMRR but if his 40" by November (and he will be close) should I really take a 2.5 year old on that kind of roller coaster?

cfoshe
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
we were there in july of this year. we had a little one with use. Was very boarder line on the 40" mark. We went to test track and had her stand straight as she could out front and the CM checked her and she passed. Went thru the hole line and the video segment. When we got up to be assigned a car to ride in they rechecked her. thats right, she was not tall enough. She was just a hair shy and we had to exit. It is worse on the kid when they get check and go thru all the stuff to be turned down at the loading area. I was say to watch for this. if your child is very boarder line, like stand as straight as you can and just barely make it, you might want to by pass the ride so when rechecked before the ride cars the little one does not get turned down because they have shrunk 1/4" walking thru the line.

Ian
10-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Just a brief anecdote regarding smaller children on Splash Mountain ...

I took my DD on Splash for the first time, right after she hit 40". When she sat down in the log I noticed that her face was just about even with the cushion that's in front each seat. I warned her, "Be careful when we go down the hill that you don't smack your face on that."

When we got to the top of the hill I placed my arm in front of her protectively so that, when we splashed down, she wouldn't get hurt.

Guess what? Despite my paying close attention to it and taking precautions, she still smashed her face on that cushion and bloodied her nose. Tears and hysteria ensued, as I'm sure you can imagine, and now she is terrified of Splash Mountain.

The moral of the story is, even kids that are tall enough to ride can still have safety issues on certain attractions. That's why I always say it's best to just wait until they're not only tall enough, but maybe even a little taller ... you can't be too careful with your kids and theme park attractions are not all as safe as you might assume.

MNNHFLTX
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd love to take my DS of BTMRR but if his 40" by November (and he will be close) should I really take a 2.5 year old on that kind of roller coaster?I know I wouldn't. Children's neck muscles don't fully develop until age 4 or so and the jerking motions of most rollercoasters would have the potential to cause injury. So regardless of height, personally I would wait until the child is 4 or close to it.