PDA

View Full Version : candlelight processional?

ajpa
09-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyone know how long this show is and what sort of songs are sung (is it mostly hymns, or carols)?
I am trying to decide whether this is is something my 8yo will want to sit through or if we should just have a listen outside.
Thanks!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
We are going for the 1st time in December. I went to YouTube and found some previous video of the Candlelight Processional. It was helpful to see what to expect. It seemed that w/each different "speaker", the style was different as well w/ some things. Hope it helps you too!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

Strmchsr
09-30-2009, 02:20 PM
It's not all hymns, but it is traditional Christmas music, most of it specifically related to the Christian Christmas story, with scripture readings from the gospels of Matthew, Luke, John and readings from Isaiah all mixed in. It's beautiful and well done. My DS loved it at age 7, but he's used to being in church every week and enjoys traditional Christian music. That would be the key for your child. It's not a "show" like so much else in WDW, i.e. no characters involved or flashy lights, etc.

I don't have my CD handy from the CP, but the songs I know for a fact are a part of it are Angels From The Realms Of Glory, Angels We Have Heard On High, Away In A Manger, Do You Hear What I Hear, Joy To The World, O Holy Night, Reoice With Exceeding Great Joy, Shout For Joy, Silent Night, The Hallelujah Chorus, and What Child Is This. There might be others.

ransam
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
we went last year, and it is really magnificant. the choir, music, the reading, was just amazing... can't wait to do it again this year,

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
It is traditional Christmas hymns and it is wonderful....I don't think an 8 year old would have problems sitting through this....especially since it is in the evening time and they will probably be tired and wanting a rest....

senderella
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
My youngest DS first attended at age 6 and loved it. It helped that he was already a big fan of the "hallllalewyaw" chorus.

MNNHFLTX
10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
FYI--the show is about 40 minutes long. :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
When we saw it my nephew was 2.5 and we watched it from the walkway. He ran around singing and dancing to the music. But at 8 your child will probably be able to sit through the whole thing. It's truly an awesome show.

bkfree
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
We went last year and took our two kiddos, 7 and 9. They were mesmerized and even my son who has autism was captivated and did not move a muscle during the entire performance. We were lucky enough to get to sit on the second row with his GAC and being so close to the instruments was awesome.
I can say in my 49 years that this was probably one of the most magical Christmas experiences I have ever had and was in tears by the last song.
It was well worth the reserved seating.

figgie
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
We have been going every year as a family for as long as it's been around. This is what starts off our Holiday Season. It is a telling of the story of the birth of Jesus right from the Bible and is traditional Christmas music. My Grandson will be 6 this year but has been going since he was 1. At three we discovered he particularly liked watching the sign language performer and so we sit as far up front on the right hand side as we can. He is enthralled and entertained but has always been a good audience member. You know your own childs endurance so I would use your experience to decide how long you think he can enjoy a musical show. I think it is a wonderful experience for anyone!

PeterPan
10-08-2009, 07:39 PM
OK, by asking if it is mostly "hymns OR carols" I am thinking you mean "Sacred or Secular." The answer is SACRED - this show uses SACRED music.

I hate to get technical, but a Christmas Carol IS a hymn, and these Christmas hymns ARE carols. (Like "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing" and "Silent Night" etc.)

Christmas songs like "Rudolf" and "Jingle Bells" are NOT carols. Only the religious Christmas songs are technically called "carols." The other ones can truly be called Holiday Songs!

I know you did not intend to get this kind of lecture, and I think I know the intent of your question. The answer is this...SOMEHOW the Walt Disney Company has managed to maintain this show as a strictly religious expression of Christmas, and I for one and proud and happy for the experience.

On the flip side, Disney has offered many MANY secular Holiday Shows through the years - Mickey's Nutcracker chief among them.

DisneyPrincess21
10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
The answer is this...SOMEHOW the Walt Disney Company has managed to maintain this show as a strictly religious expression of Christmas, and I for one and proud and happy for the experience.

:ditto: i agree

DisneyFanaticDargon
10-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Anyone know how long this show is and what sort of songs are sung (is it mostly hymns, or carols)?
I am trying to decide whether this is is something my 8yo will want to sit through or if we should just have a listen outside.
Thanks!

Just want to add to this, if it sounds like something you want to do, you should considering booking the dinner package as soon as possible. Even if you're first in line for the next show, there's no guarantee you'll get a seat. The dinner package is the only way to guarantee a spot.

Marilyn Michetti
10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
The narrators are totally impressive. They read the text with utmost reverance.:thumbsup:

Gator
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
If you're tired of "Happy Holidays", then this is the show for you. It puts Christmas back on the map for what it really should be. You will walk out of the preformance feeling like a better person. It's that good.

Joannelet
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
When I was a cast member in Disney I performed in this show. Its truly amazing. Even us cast members get all choked up listening to some of the Christmas story (no matter how many times we hear it!) :)
It runs 40-45 minutes long :)
Disney gets an A+ for continuing this show in such a world nowadays that is trying to take God out of everything.
God Bless and enjoy the show!
Definitely book a dining package with this and be guaranteed seating. You don't want to have to wait in line and not be guaranteed to sit.
I am hoping that one day soon they will bring back the real doves they use to release during the performance!!!! Ah, that show was and is sooo beautiful.
Enjoy!