PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

snuggs30
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok, my mom is driving me nuts about the swine flu! She is thinking we should reschedule our trip from Oct. 30- Nov.8th because she heard its widespread in the states below us! WE all have flu shots and I am getting my 7 yr old one for N1H1 as soon as they arrive (and me also because i am diabetic), but she is driving me insane with this:mad:! Has anyone got the swine flu while down there yet? UGH! Please let me know!

Lakin
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Tell your mother to calm down. Face it, you could get the swine flu anywhere. Why should you reschedule your trip just because of something so - uncontrollable?

Zippy 1
09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
My DD had it here in Colorado a few weeks ago. You really can get it anywhere right now. I would not change my plans. Just be careful with hand washing and do not put your hands on your face.

wdw_bound
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
We're in SC, one of the states the CDC has deemed "widespraed." All that means is that cases have been reported throughout the state. It doesn't mean that everyone here has it.

I work in a healthcare system, and from what I have seen, H1N1 is actually milder so far than most flus I have seen. It does appear to be more prevalent in people under the age of 24, likely due to the fact that the rest of us were exposed to other strains in the 50's and 70's that are close enough to this strain to give us some (but not complete) immunity. If you are in a high risk group, you should take extra precautions.

Best ways to avoid getting sick: hand hygiene - soap and water or hand gel that is at least 60% alcohol. If you have symptoms, stay away from others. Would I let fear of catching it rule my decisions? Probably not.

KylesMom
09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
If you go back into the INTERCOT archives, this very subject was discussed at length last spring/early summer when the Swine Flu epidemic first started - when they were closing schools in Texas and such. As everyone above has mentioned, wash your hands - keep your hands away from your face - and don't panic.

According to the CDC (direct from their website), half of the states in the U.S. are reporting widespread H1N1 influenza, including my state of Illinois. Just be diligent in hygiene and realize that it could happen anywhere.

We were at Disney for 15 days in June, and none of us caught so much as a cold . . . but we were diligent in hand-washing and keeping our hands away from our faces. If anyone in my family was in a high-risk category, I think I'd put a bit more thought into our decision. However, we are all healthy, so we didn't give it so much as a second thought. Take precautions & have a GREAT time!

Mickey91
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Just think of all the people in your local Walmart who sneeze all over the buggy you are using after using the restroom and not washing their hands.:ack: You have risks of getting sick anywhere. Just use common sense hygiene and have a great time!:mickey:

dnickels
09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I know the terms don't let us post links to outside sources so I'll just post the most relevant snippet from an article a week ago.

"New estimates suggest that the death rate compares to a moderate year of seasonal influenza, said Dr Marc Lipsitch of Harvard University."

I know I wouldn't cancel my travel plans based on a 'moderate year of seasonal influenza.' The media is making a mountain out of a molehill here, just go and enjoy yourself! :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Just wash your hands and do it thoroughly. I wouldn't cancel my plans either.

magicofdisney
10-01-2009, 11:08 PM
All 4 of my kids came down with the flu while at Disney last week. Was it the swine flu? We don't know because they are no longer testing specifically for that since it's so wide spread.

I've heard that most flue cases, to this point, are most likely swine flu because it's a little early in the season for the regular flu. Either way, they're recovering just fine.

DisneyFr33k
10-04-2009, 02:51 PM
We live in NC and DD12 got a flu the last of June. The doctor told us they don't test for it unless someone is hospitalized due to it. Also, the doctor told me that the swine flu is actually less severe than the flus that hit later in the Fall/Winter. He actually told us it would be good for me, DH and DS to get it too as it would build up an immunity for what is coming this Fall. I tried to catch it - really it did (by licking a spoon DD used) - but never did! So, what they say about those under the age of 30 being more likely to catch it may be true! That, plus I'm a school teacher. We tend to build up our immunities over the years of exposure.

Don't cancel your trip. Like previous posters have said, you can catch it anywhere.