PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

EJS-Houston
09-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm not a coffee drinker myself, but my friend Claire (with whom I've gone to WDW twice now, and with whom I'm about to go again in 5 weeks) is, and the ubiquity of Nescafe and only Nescafe throughout WDW just about drives her nuts. I know there are a precious few places in the parks where one get something other than Nescafe, but that doesn't help 1st thing in the morning when she needs a decent cup 'o' joe to get going. Does anyone have any brilliant and cost-effective ways of getting around the Nescafe stalemate?

bicker
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
http://coffeegeek.com/images/5821/200x200/melitta1cup.jpg

Melitta One Cup Manual Drip

MistressGracey
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I pack my little 4-cup coffeemaker, individual creamer cups, coffee, filters and mug and have my coffee in my room every AM. It's great! Your friend could purchase one of these at Wal-mart for about 20 bucks.

Hope this helps...

stitchaholic
09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
if you are staying at a mod or delux,you will have a coffee maker in your room

MinnieMommie
09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
You can get Kona coffee at the Poly. It is awesome coffee. Some people make this their morning stop. If you eat at Kona Cafe you can get
the Kona French Press coffee which is among the best DW has to offer.

Claire can bring her own one cup press for the room.

I know that Nescafe is an issue for coffee lovers but there are more places popping up around the world which are offering fresh brewed higher quality coffees. There is hope for Claire! :mickey:

Kathy Jetson
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
We stay at values and bring a small 4 cup coffeemaker with us I love it. I really need a cup of coffee before I open my door and have to be sociable:mickey:

EJS-Houston
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I knew y'all would have great ideas! I found a small 2 1/2-pound Black and Decker coffeemaker on Amazon for just under $20; I think I'll suprise Claire by getting one and packing it unbeknownst to her and presenting her with it when we arrive at WDW. Thanks, everyone! Y'all are awesome! :rocks:

EJS-Houston
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
You can get Kona coffee at the Poly. It is awesome coffee. Some people make this their morning stop. If you eat at Kona Cafe you can get

Claire can bring her own one cup press for the room.

I know that Nescafe is an issue for coffee lovers but there are more places popping up around the world which are offering fresh brewed higher quality coffees. There is hope for Claire! :mickey:

So can you get Kona coffee beans/grounds there...or only just cups of Kona coffee. If we could get ground Kona coffee for Claire to have at the room, that would be absolutely perfect. There is indeed hope for Claire! Thanks, MinnieMommie!

EJS-Houston
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
http://coffeegeek.com/images/5821/200x200/melitta1cup.jpg

Melitta One Cup Manual Drip

Forgive my non-coffee-drinking ignorance, but is that then dependent on how hot the room's hot tap water is, since there's no heating element to the coffee maker?

Running_Bell
09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Did you know that Starbucks offers instant coffee packs now?

I love coffee....I am very picky about the brand and grind my beans fresh each morning. However... it isn't always convienent to bring my own grinder/coffee maker. I do like the Starbucks instant in those desperate times (and I'm not huge Starbucks fan) They are not sold at every store yet... but are available online!

EJS-Houston
09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Did you know that Starbucks offers instant coffee packs now?

I love coffee....I am very picky about the brand and grind my beans fresh each morning. However... it isn't always convienent to bring my own grinder/coffee maker. I do like the Starbucks instant in those desperate times (and I'm not huge Starbucks fan) They are not sold at every store yet... but are available online!

Funny you should mention that today, in that it was on all the national news morning shows this morning. As I understand it, it's been test-marketed in New York and Chicago beginning in February or March, and as of yesterday it's now available nationwide in Starbucks stores.

Mickey'sGirl
09-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Funny you should mention that today, in that it was on all the national news morning shows this morning. As I understand it, it's been test-marketed in New York and Chicago beginning in February or March, and as of yesterday it's now available nationwide in Starbucks stores.
.... and it is a pretty decent substitute for a good cup of coffee.

I pack my own coffee and take it down. Although I would drink most coffees in a pinch, I couldn't do it on an ongoing basis (and I really love coffee!) :coffee: . I think getting a little coffee maker and taking your own favourite coffee is a terrific idea!

EJS-Houston
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
.... and it is a pretty decent substitute for a good cup of coffee.

I pack my own coffee and take it down. Although I would drink most coffees in a pinch, I couldn't do it on an ongoing basis (and I really love coffee!) :coffee: . I think getting a little coffee maker and taking your own favourite coffee is a terrific idea!

Yeah, I think that's my best solution, thanks! That way I can go to our local beanery, The House of Coffee Beans, and get Claire some really extraordinary gourmet coffee to have every morning.

joonyer
09-30-2009, 04:42 PM
The are are also a couple of counter service places in Epcot that serve real (& good) coffee.

Try Italy, Norway and France.

In AK there is s good coffee found at Kusafiri Coffee shop, at Tusker House.

There is good coffee to be found at WDW, but you have to know where to look.

I can't post links here, but just do some internet searches for good coffee at Disney World, (or list the theme park) and you'll find where to go to find the good stuff.

MinnieMommie
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
So can you get Kona coffee beans/grounds there...or only just cups of Kona coffee. If we could get ground Kona coffee for Claire to have at the room, that would be absolutely perfect. There is indeed hope for Claire! Thanks, MinnieMommie!

You can get a bag of either ground or whole bean coffee at The Poly. The bag of Kona blend is $15 and the bag of the 100% Kona coffee is $40. I hope this helps. :mickey:

EJS-Houston
10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Ooooo, I'll tell her! I've got a travel coffee-maker en route from Amazon, and I've got a pound of gourmet coffee for her as well. But if she wants to try some Kona while we're there, she'll be able to. Thanks!

Tinkermom
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone planning on trying the new Starbucks instant coffee? They are having a taste test all this weekend AND you get a free tall coffee for a future visit. I am going to give it a try! It could be an answer to the Nescafe...

mousetrapper
10-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Can't believe Starbucks is introducing an instant coffee, but I'm intrigued enough to try it out! I'll try to get to a store this weekend.

Does anyone know what kind of coffee makers are in the resort rooms? I can't recall. Are they the kind that use the prepackaged coffee ground packs?

If that's the type they have, I'm trying to figure out how to use one of those with coffee I bring from home...unless I find the right kind of packets.

Bringing a coffee maker is a good idea, but I'd be afraid of it breaking in my luggage! :blush:

TheRustyScupper
10-02-2009, 10:19 PM
the ubiquity of Nescafe and only Nescafe throughout WDW

1) Other coffees could be wide spread throughout WDW.
2) All they have to do it give it to WDW for free.
3) Doubtful too many others will do that.
4) Besides, YOU HAVE NO IDEA how much other stuff comes form Nescafé.
5) Actually, you would be amazed.
6) You cannot eat or drink anywhere in WDW with eating/drinking Nescafé products !!!

Polynesian Dweller
10-02-2009, 11:35 PM
6) You cannot eat or drink anywhere in WDW with eating/drinking Nescafé products !!!

I trust you mean Nestle since Nescafe is its coffee brand name. And I have seen a list. But then, when Kraft had the rights everything seemed to be Kraft products.

big blue and hairy
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I pack my little 4-cup coffeemaker, individual creamer cups, coffee, filters and mug and have my coffee in my room every AM. It's great! Your friend could purchase one of these at Wal-mart for about 20 bucks.

Hope this helps...Me too, except, I pack less, since I drink it black. :D

Originally posted by Rusty Scupper

Actually, I'm not surprised at all, I know that's why they have Nescafe. Nestle makes all kinds of stuff and they have a contract with Disney, so, unless we want to make up the difference in that contract income, Nescafe it is....

:sulley:

bicker
10-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Forgive my non-coffee-drinking ignorance, but is that then dependent on how hot the room's hot tap water is, since there's no heating element to the coffee maker?I typically use the microwave to boil the water, or you can get one of these:

http://www.antonline.com/p_559-GP_620263.htm

GrumpySue
10-04-2009, 01:58 PM
The Starbucks instant packets (Via they are called) come in regular Columbian and a dark roast Italian blend and they are awesome !! I am bringing them on my trip next. I'll use the room coffeemaker to heat up the water.

Neat trick in the Florida heat, you can mix the starbucks packets and a little sugar into a bottle of cold water and take it with you, instant iced coffee !!! :thumbsup:

Bass T-bone
11-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Anybody know when Disney's contract with Nescafé runs out?

Granny Jill A
11-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Nescafe is AWFUL, but I agree that Kona Cafe has great coffee. I had to get my coffee fix when we ate lunch at Kona.

I know Nescafe is a corporate sponsor, etc., etc., but Disney is losing money by having such terrible coffee all over the place. I simply won't drink it.

Granny Jill A
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Anybody know when Disney's contract with Nescafé runs out?

Not soon enough. :ack:

Granny Jill A
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
1) Other coffees could be wide spread throughout WDW.
2) All they have to do it give it to WDW for free.
3) Doubtful too many others will do that.

Their instant hot chocolate is one of my favorite things, but their coffee is undrinkable. Too bad.

Hull-onian
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I think for all the places to get a decent cup of coffee is at the Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom. They have the best one so far. MMM, can't wait to get one.:mcoffee: