PDA

View Full Version : ideas for a Christmas gift........

tink2006
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
for my 80+ mother.
I know it is early but Christmas is just a few months away. The last several years I have struggled to find a present for my mother (I would say the PERFECT gift but I gave up on that idea). It is so hard to come up with a creative idea. She can't see very well, has a hard time getting around and doesn't need or want anything.

She is a wonderful person that deserves the best. I just wish I knew what that was.

Intercotees are such a creative bunch! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

sportsguy2315
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Depending on what kind of technology she has, the first idea that came to mind for me was a CD for grandma with different people telling her thanks for all the things she's done for them, seeing how she can't see too well, she can still hear how much people appreciate her.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I am sooo a Christmas person! The urge generally starts in September for me. :D

Both sets of our parents are about the same age as your Mum and we have found that they pretty much have everything and they love the gift of Memories. We have started to plan and do things with them ~ going for dinner,a drive or a trip. We are fortunate enough to be able to take ours to WDW this December for their Christmas present (this will probably seriously curb my next vacation, but it's worth it). Your Mum may enjoy just being able to spend time with you doing something special as opposed to a nicknack.

Good luck and Merry Christmas! (I have already finished my Christmas shopping) :blush:

daisyduck
09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
My MIL is going to be 92 this year! We give a gift that lasts all year, we have her to our house once a week for dinner and also purchase items from the grocery store that she loves but feel is to expensive. We surprise her with these treats all year long. We also have a
the grandchildren do little crafts for her throughout the year. And we make sure to talk to her alot about when she was young and what it was like, especially when our grandchildren are present.

mickeys_princess_mom
09-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know exactly how limited her vision is, but my MIL loves her digital frame that repeats about 80 pictures of family. There are plastic sheets you can buy with magnification (try teacher or office supply stores), and this might work over the frame...Perhaps a gift of monthly floral arrangements, especially those with strong scents, would be something she'd enjoy.:mickey:

tink2006
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the great ideas. Part of the problem is that I live thousands of miles away, seperated by water - I live in Indiana and she lives in Puerto Rico. The best gift possible is for us to be together for the Christmas holidays (which we do every year). The whole family is together and my Mom's house becomes the hub of family activity. It is wonderful to see all her grandkids (now teenagers) hanging out!
We all exchange presents and it would be nice to have something special for her to open. I gave her one of the digital frames a couple of years ago. I found it in a back bedroom unplugged. I guess technology is not really her cup of tea. Several years ago, I spent the whole Christmas vacation taking pictures of everybody and everything. When I got back home I started working on a scrapbook photo album. I made one album for each of my siblings and one for my mom. It was a lot of fun and everybody really enjoyed it. However, this gift was after the fact (especially since it took several months to prepare all the albums).
I know I shouldn't let this get to me but I am already stressing out a little over this.

crazypoohbear
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
What about getting all your siblings together before the christmas holiday and have a family picture taken for your mother.
Or getting one of all the grandchildren done proffessionally.
As parents age it gets harder and harder to get them something.
When they say they don't want anything, I think they really mean it.
What about getting her some food delivered once a month to her home? You could pre pay it or contact a local restaurant once a month and arrange a dinner to be delivered.