PDA

View Full Version : The National Parks: America's Best Idea

diz_girl
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Has anyone else been watching? It's very interesting and very good. I had no idea that Yosemite was created while Lincoln was still president. I like listening to the recitiation of John Muir's writings.

For anyone not watching, episode three is tonight and it runs nightly through Friday from 8 p.m. until 10 p.m. or so. There are six episodes overall and they are divided by time, not specific parks, although episode one was mostly Yosemite and Yellowstone, since they were the first two parks.

MNNHFLTX
09-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I've been recording these shows, although I haven't watched them yet. My family and I just love the national parks and try to visit at least one every vacation.

Melanie
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I didn't realize this had already started. Surely they will repeat them, yes? Ken Burns always does such a magnificent job with his series, and the national parks? What's not to love? Hope I can catch it all at some point.

Patricia
09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
We've been watching.. it's pretty interesting. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Mel, the episodes are supposed to be available for viewing at the PBS website online the day after they air, up until October 9th. I didn't see that they were going to air them again in the near future, but I'm sure they will come out on DVD at some point.

JanetMegan
10-01-2009, 09:42 AM
They are coming out on DVD next week and if I was you I would try to get them from your local library-I know mine is hoping to obtain a few copies for free rental!

DVC2004
10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I haven't seen each one, but I tuned in the past 2 nights. I am really enjoying it. We've been to several national parks, most recently the Grand Canyon last month. It's excellent IMHO.

Simba's Mom
10-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I've also recorded them, but have only had a chance to watch the first. We've been to Yellowstone 3 times. We'd initially planned to go to a different National park every year, but got stuck on the first one, Yellowstone, for 3 years. It's been very interesting so far.

diz_girl
10-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Last year DH and I made a list of places that we wanted to go on vacation/visit. On that list was Glacier and Yellowstone. Since I started watching the show, the list has started to grow. A lot.

threeh
10-02-2009, 01:41 PM
The DVD's are available on netflix. I have a dish and don't get PBS:( but I did put the dvd 's up next in my netflix que!!!

NJGIRL
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I love these shows. They are so interesting and have given me ideas for different vacations. I am thinking of Yellowstone as our 2011 trip.