PDA

View Full Version : Give a Day of Volunteer Service in 2010, Get a Day of Disney Theme Park Fun – Free

Mufasa
09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Disney Parks Hopes to Inspire 1 Million Volunteers Beginning Jan. 1

Sept. 29, 2009 – Disney Parks today announced a new program that celebrates the spirit of volunteer service with a simple proposition: “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day.”

Disney hopes to inspire families to volunteer in their communities during 2010 through this first-of-its-kind program. One million people who perform volunteer service for a participating organization will receive a free one-day admission ticket to a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park.

While the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” program kicks off Jan. 1, right now guests can learn more about the program and how to get their free one-day admission to a Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme park by visiting www.DisneyParks.com (http://www.disneyparks.com/) (for the United States and Puerto Rico) or www.DisneyParks.ca (http://www.disneyparks.ca/) (for Canada).

In the past year, guests have been celebrating all sorts of special moments in their lives at Disney parks – from birthdays and anniversaries to reunions and graduations – as part of the “What Will You Celebrate?” campaign.

“In 2010, we want to recognize and add one more reason for celebration: the contributions people make to their communities every day,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We want to inspire 1 million volunteers – people who will invest time and energy to make their own communities and neighborhoods a better place.”

To enable people to sign up for an eligible volunteer project, Disney is working with HandsOn Network, the nation’s largest volunteer network. Part of Points of Light Institute, HandsOn Network has 250 on-the-ground volunteer action centers across the country and connects volunteers to more than 70,000 nonprofit agencies that need their help.

“Wherever we live, our communities need our hands-on help to thrive,” said Michelle Nunn, CEO of Points of Light Institute. “We are thrilled at this unprecedented effort by Disney Parks to help mobilize 1 million volunteers into action. ‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ has the potential to reach so many families and instill the volunteer spirit in a new generation.”

Bob Iger, president and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, said, “‘Give a Day, Get a Disney Day’ fits perfectly with our long history of supporting and participating in volunteer efforts. It’s a great way to honor guests who are making a positive contribution to their communities.”

Starting Jan. 1, 2010, guests can go to www.DisneyParks.com (http://www.disneyparks.com/) for the United States and Puerto Rico or www.DisneyParks.ca (http://www.disneyparks.ca/) for Canada to search for volunteer opportunities available in those areas through HandsOn Network and sign up for a day of volunteer service. Many of the opportunities will be for projects that entire families can participate in together.

To raise awareness for grass-roots community volunteerism and the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” program, Disney VoluntEARS joined local volunteers in cities across the United States and Canada today. Work projects involving 1,000 volunteers were coordinated by HandsOn Network in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and Miami, and across Canada – in Toronto, Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver.

Joining the Sept. 29 effort were scores of volunteers from Southwest Airlines, which will also provide transportation for a 20-city tour that will take the Disney Parks volunteer message to major cities across the United States this fall and winter.

“Southwest Airlines strives to make a positive difference in the communities we serve, from protecting the environment to supporting a local cause,” said Linda Rutherford, vice president of Communications and Strategic Outreach, Southwest Airlines. “Southwest employees give back both locally and nationally through volunteerism, with individual and personal efforts, serving together as teams or through companywide efforts. The opportunity with Disney unites two companies that are devoted to the spirit of volunteerism.”

Give a Day, Get a Disney Day details:
Must pre-register and sign up for eligible volunteer opportunity at disneyparks.com. Ticket quantities for this program are limited. Must be at least age 6 to participate. Other terms and conditions apply. For details, see disneyparks.com in the United States and Puerto Rico. In Canada, see disneyparks.ca.

Mufasa
09-29-2009, 09:40 AM
As with the "What will you Celebrate" promotion, if you already hold park passes (AP holder or multi-day park hopper tickets as part of your resort vacation)- you can choose a set of fastpasses (for up to 6) as an alternate to free admission.

You can also choose to donate your earned free ticket to a charity, or receive a collectible Ear Hat figurine along with a set of pins.

No cash refunds or credits are offered in exchange of the volunteer ticket.

The volunteer work must be performed in 2010, and the park visit must take place by Dec. 15, 2010. Participants must be 18 or older to sign up for the program, but volunteer work done by children ages 6-17 qualifies for a free ticket as long as kids are accompanied by an adult when volunteering.

The theme park tickets distributed under this program will not be valid for the following dates:

For Walt Disney World® Resort: March 29 - April 8 and July 4, 2010
For Disneyland® Resort: February 13-14, March 21, June 21-22, July 4, November 21, and December 11-12, 2010.

Also, the program is limited to one ticket per person, regardless of the number of times you volunteer.

Dragongirlx
09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
This is a really good idea. However is there any details of a similar promotion for those of us who don't live in the US Canada

seanyred
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Not a bad idea. If it helps get people more involved in thier communities then all the better. I'll be an AP holder during that time but I may look into it and donate my ticket. I'll have to see what type of volunterring oportunities are out there.

TheVBs
09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Do you have to be an AP holder to opt for donating your ticket or getting the figurine/pins?

TheRustyScupper
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you have to be an AP holder to opt for donating your ticket or getting the figurine/pins?

According to the rules, any multi-day pass or AP is eligible.

TheVBs
09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
According to the rules, any multi-day pass or AP is eligible.

Thanks!

Iluvpooh
09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
This may work out better for me than the birthday promo. (My b-day is mid June-too hot for WDW for me!)
Anyone know where to find a list of participating charities?

Strmchsr
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
This may work out better for me than the birthday promo. (My b-day is mid June-too hot for WDW for me!)
Anyone know where to find a list of participating charities?

That will show up when the volunteer site goes live on Jan 1.

wire0monkey
09-29-2009, 02:17 PM
This promotion rocks!

I love it so much more than the the last two, which seem sort of narcissistic in comparison.

I like the idea that Disney is promoting what we can give to the community, rather than demanding Disney give US more. I think most people who can afford Disney vacations already have a lot to be grateful for, and don't really need more.

jonahbear2006
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I love this!!!! I want to register for the whole family !

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Is it truly volunteering if you expect to get something in return?

Lakin
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Is it truly volunteering if you expect to get something in return?

Interesting point. :thumbsup:

missymouseworld
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
It is a shame they didn't include those who volunteer every day, every year, like the local volunteer firemen/women, police auxillary, first aiders, etc. That would have been great to give them something back. That is what I was thinking before they announced it had to be a through a specific volunteer network.

mousetrapper
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
What a great idea. I also love the previous poster's idea about having a day for firefighters, police officers, etc.

Ian
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Is it truly volunteering if you expect to get something in return?It's not about that ... it's about encouraging people to get involved with volunteer organizations. It's a motivator.

I think it's a good idea ... it gets people moving and gives them a reason to go out and try helping others. Maybe then they'll realize that it feels good and keep on doing it long after this promotion ends.

Even if only 10% of the people who do it end up continuing on with it, it's still well worth it. People need a reason to take time out of their already incredibly hectic schedules.

Tinkermom
09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I just heard about this on K-Love radio and have to say...

Way to go Disney! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I LOVE this idea!

Patricia
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I like this idea. I wouldn't have the tickets in time for our January trip to WDW, but it's great if they can get people out to try volunteering. Once they start they may keep going.

We already volunteer at a couple of places on the list in Canada and will be eligible for this. Works for me, even if I took one pin gift, I can still donate two of our tickets. :mickey:

BIGDOG
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM
I am a member of the coast guard auxillary, does that count? We do volunteer work all year long. Boating saftey classes, boat safety inspections, a patrols for homeland security. We not only do get paid we pay dues to be a member?

kakn7294
09-30-2009, 09:00 AM
I think this is an incredible promotion! Not only can anyone, not just those celebrating a birthday, get a free day's park admission, it benefits entire communities when someone volunteers even if it's done just to get a free park day. And it's a great way to bring families out to volunteer together. I can't wait to see the list on Jan 1st!

missalabama
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
does anyone know if you can use the one day ticket toward buying a park hopper?

Strmchsr
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
does anyone know if you can use the one day ticket toward buying a park hopper?

That's a good question. Are you asking if you could just pay the extra $50 to upgrade a "regular" ticket to a "parkhopper" ticket? I'm not sure but maybe someone tried it with the "free" birthday pass. I'm sure the policy would be the same.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
It's not about that ... it's about encouraging people to get involved with volunteer organizations. It's a motivator.I was not questioning the overall aim behind the program, merely the semantics of the word volunteer.

Volunteering is the practice of people working on behalf of others without being motivated by financial or material gain.

What I do question however (as previous posters have mentioned) is the need to do this through certain organizations - volunteering is volunteering, correct?

Also, if I didn't think Disney was one of the most conscious corporations around (which I do), I guess I'd be skeptical as to why they were trying to get people into their parks while attendance is down.

My bottom line is this - volunteering is good. What would be even better is the hope that most people who enroll in this program donate their passes to children (or bring along a child's school friend) who otherwise couldn't go to Disney . I'm afraid however that most passes will be used by people who want to offset costs of their third, fourth, or fifth trip of the year.

minnie04
09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I thought this started in Jan. 2010 ?? Yesterday on the 6:00pm News they were showing people already doing the clean up .. in Miami they had the Characters there and everything with the Mayor of Dade County... where can I sign up for this ??? :mickey:

Imagineer1981
09-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I was not questioning the overall aim behind the program, merely the semantics of the word volunteer.

Volunteering is the practice of people working on behalf of others without being motivated by financial or material gain.

What I do question however (as previous posters have mentioned) is the need to do this through certain organizations - volunteering is volunteering, correct?

Also, if I didn't think Disney was one of the most conscious corporations around (which I do), I guess I'd be skeptical as to why they were trying to get people into their parks while attendance is down.

My bottom line is this - volunteering is good. What would be even better is the hope that most people who enroll in this program donate their passes to children (or bring along a child's school friend) who otherwise couldn't go to Disney . I'm afraid however that most passes will be used by people who want to offset costs of their third, fourth, or fifth trip of the year.

Agreed, while I think volunteering is great, I don't understand the program. Its not really an incentive to go to the parks. I think a lot of people will not do this, unlike the Celebrate Today promotion where you could plan a trip around your birthday, this is something you have to do on your own time and I think as other have said, if you can only participate in certain organizations its limiting, especially to those from other countries who can't participate at all. Again, I think if you volunteer for causes its great, just don't get this move by Disney. They would have much better success with extending the celebration or doing another giveaway type promotion

squijee
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Great idea!!!!!

GrumpyFan
09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I thought this started in Jan. 2010 ?? Yesterday on the 6:00pm News they were showing people already doing the clean up .. in Miami they had the Characters there and everything with the Mayor of Dade County... where can I sign up for this ??? :mickey:

The program begins Jan 1, 2010. Not sure what you saw, maybe it was stock footage or something.

Is it just me, or does it seem like they started promoting this really early? I mean, we're still a good 3 months away. It seems like their advertising it so early might create confusion as to how and when you can get the "credit".

Aggie97
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
I think this is a really nice idea. :mickey:

Yesterday on the 6:00pm News they were showing people already doing the clean up .. in Miami they had the Characters there and everything with the Mayor of Dade County...

I imagine you saw one of the work projects that was conducted as part of the announcement....

To raise awareness for grass-roots community volunteerism and the “Give a Day, Get a Disney Day” program, Disney VoluntEARS joined local volunteers in cities across the United States and Canada today. Work projects involving 1,000 volunteers were coordinated by HandsOn Network in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles and Miami, and across Canada – in Toronto, Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver.

Joining the Sept. 29 effort were scores of volunteers from Southwest Airlines, which will also provide transportation for a 20-city tour that will take the Disney Parks volunteer message to major cities across the United States this fall and winter.

missalabama
09-30-2009, 07:35 PM
That's a good question. Are you asking if you could just pay the extra $50 to upgrade a "regular" ticket to a "parkhopper" ticket? I'm not sure but maybe someone tried it with the "free" birthday pass. I'm sure the policy would be the same.

actually what I was wondering is if I am planning to buy 5 or 6 day hoppers can I deduct the price of a one day ticket from my price which I guess would be $79?

tinpanorama
09-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Agreed, while I think volunteering is great, I don't understand the program. Its not really an incentive to go to the parks. I think a lot of people will not do this, unlike the Celebrate Today promotion where you could plan a trip around your birthday, this is something you have to do on your own time and I think as other have said, if you can only participate in certain organizations its limiting, especially to those from other countries who can't participate at all. Again, I think if you volunteer for causes its great, just don't get this move by Disney. They would have much better success with extending the celebration or doing another giveaway type promotion

I think you have to look at this promotion from a public relations standpoint. Think of all the good press Disney will be getting for a year because of this.

It is also a way for Disney to get the Muppets into the public eye again. The new commercials starring them are very cute and clever.

Crow
10-01-2009, 12:54 AM
I think its good if it gets more people to help!

joelkfla
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
actually what I was wondering is if I am planning to buy 5 or 6 day hoppers can I deduct the price of a one day ticket from my price which I guess would be $79?
Yes, you may upgrade the free ticket to another ticket type of greater value. However, the Guest is responsible for the incremental cost and the new ticket may only be used by the Guest.

Also, this is not specified, but I would not be surprised if the upgraded ticket needs to be first used on the day the voucher is redeemed, as this is required for the free tickets.

joelkfla
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Anyone can choose to donate their ticket to a non-profit organization designated by Disney Parks.

Guests who present a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport may also choose:

Disney's Special FASTPASS® cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party.
A collectible Ear Hat figurine with exclusive trading pins.
As with the current birthday promotion, the number of Special FASTPASS® Cards is limited and may not be available after 11 a.m.

TheVBs
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Anyone can choose to donate their ticket to a non-profit organization designated by Disney Parks.

Guests who present a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport may also choose:

Disney's Special FASTPASS® cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party.
A collectible Ear Hat figurine with exclusive trading pins.
As with the current birthday promotion, the number of Special FASTPASS® Cards is limited and may not be available after 11 a.m.

So, anyone can donate, but only passholders or people who already have tickets can opt for the FastPass or the figurine/pins?

dumbo_buddy
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
this is a great idea. of course there are going to be people who complain about it. those are the same people who complain just to complain.

i am LOVING the commercials and the promos on the internet. it's all about the MUPPETS! kermit and miss piggie and everyone else haven't had the spotlight in a while! yay!

we are going at the end of january. i wonder if i'll be able to do my volunteering in time? also, it might be tough for people like me who have little ones at home. in january i'll have a 6 month old and getting a babysitter may be difficult (nevermind nursing!).

that being said, love the idea and think it's a neat one.

Melanie
10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a question about the FastPasses.

The official terms and conditions say multi-day ticket and AP holders can receive "Disney's Special FASTPASS® cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party."

Say my entire family does the volunteer work. So one day I take my volunteer certificate and we get FPs for all four of us. The next visit my husband takes his certificate and we again all get FPs. Is this possible?

Sounds pretty greedy, considering the program. :blush: I figure someone will eventually ask though.

kakn7294
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM

The official terms and conditions say multi-day ticket and AP holders can receive "Disney's Special FASTPASS® cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party."

Say my entire family does the volunteer work. So one day I take my volunteer certificate and we get FPs for all four of us. The next visit my husband takes his certificate and we again all get FPs. Is this possible?

Sounds pretty greedy, considering the program. :blush: I figure someone will eventually ask though.Mel, I don't think that sounds greedy at all - it's a legitimate question. Of course, I don't know the answer though!

And for those who complain about this promotion, if it gets more people to volunteer, even if they only do it for their own gain, they've still volunteered and that's good enough in my book!

Meteora
10-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Another question--I know the guidelines state that most of Easter break is a "blackout," and that you can't use your voucher for an admission ticket during that time. But if you have a ticket, would you still be able to get the fastpass during those dates? It doesn't seems to specify whether the blackout applies only to the admission ticket or whether it is for the entire program.

minnie04
10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Ok, I saw another commercial about this. I actually watched the whole thing and YES, it starts in January. I guess they are promoting it early. I hope they are ready for the over load of people that are going to do this .... :mickey: And I cant wait to see the end results in the area...

frakers
10-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm a volunteer Cub Scout Leader as well as a member of our Boy Scout District Committee. I know you have to draw the line somewhere but it just seems sort of out of place with actual volunteering if you have to coax folks into volunteering. I do what I do because I like working with my son but I also get the chance to work with a lot of boys and hopefully make their lives more fun while teaching them some valuable lessons. I love what I do. And, if you've ever been a Scout leader, it is a heck of a lot of time.
But not just me. There are countless people that volunteer their time without the promise of any reward aside from the good feeling they get when they see they've helped someone. I know, it's corny but it is the truth. You do it because you love it.
I'm all for getting people involved but it just seems like this is manufactured volunteerism. Someone may post on here that there is no way you could recognize every volunteer of anything with a free ticket, but the fact is there are a lot more people with birthdays than there are volunteers.
Not that I wouldn't take the ticket. I would, but the fact that you sign up for a Disney sponsored project with the promise of Disney merchandise makes this a part time or short term contract job. And these would be Disney sponsored projects.
I know, get over it but the fact is there are a lot of people doing good things every day with no recognition and no monetary(ish) incentive. It would be nice if Disney recognized these folks. Maybe they do, I must have missed the invitation.

minnie04
10-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Frakers, I agree with you totally, but maybe this would be a way for the people who don't ever do any kind of volunter work to see how much they can really help. I know you do it because you love it, and thats great,but I would think this is more towards the people that send the money in and never get off the couch to get there hands dirty...NOT that there is anything wrong with that either, its just they do it different..this is a way to bring people out of the house and make them see what it means to help and get alittle dirty in the mean time..and also get a reward for it..I just hope that poeple will do the work and feel good about making a small difference.. Who knows maybe it will catch on and people will do it in the future with out reward....

BraddyB
10-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Sounds pretty greedy, considering the program. :blush: I figure someone will eventually ask though.

I was thinking the same thing.. I am headed there next year with my wife and parents celebrating our anniversaries...If the 4 of us did it, would we be able to use one certificate per day? A dream fastpass a day at 4 different parks would be great !!!!!

Joannelet
10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I too think this is a wonderful idea.
I'm hoping (and I'm sure Disney is hoping this too) that people will realize how many organizations NEED volunteers. I think this will be a real eye opener for some people of how valuable their time can really be.
They may realize volunteering is very rewarding even if you aren't getting a ticket out of it and they will hopefully continue.
Its important to recognize ANY volunteer...whether its someone who does it everyday or someone who does it once.
I just think this is a great way to give incentive to people to actually take that next step and get out there and do it.
If all goes well it will stick and they will continue to volunteer.

brad192
11-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I truely believe that any donation, commitment, etc. has to be without ANY expectation of any sort of compensation. If you are looking for some compensation for your "wonderful act", it simply isn't a "gift". It's more of a business deal. TRUE charity doesn't require a payback.

Sorry, I can't get on board with this.

stitchaholic
11-01-2009, 06:01 AM
i wonder if it's something as small as being a soccer coach ? does anybody know if this applies? if so i am definitly eligible!:thumbsup:

watergirl
01-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I have a question.. Last year with the Birthday program we had the option of Choosing the FP, free admission within the year, or a gift card worth the value of a 1 day admission. I could not locate, but was wondering if the gift card was an option for this program? FP are usually only for the rides my son is too small for. Thanks

Melanie
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

No, for this promotion, the other options are fastpasses or a special Ear Hat figurine with trading pins.

TheVBs
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
But you can only get the other options if your an AP holder, right? If not, don't you have to take the park tickets?

Melanie
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
But you can only get the other options if your an AP holder, right? If not, don't you have to take the park tickets?

Sounds like it's available to anyone with multi-day tickets.

Taken directly from the website FAQs:

If I have a valid multi-day ticket or an Annual Pass or Passport, is there anything else that I can receive?

Guests who present a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport may choose from one of the following three options instead of receiving the free 1-day, 1-park ticket:

◦Disney's FASTPASS® Special Exchange Cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party. †
◦A Special Ear Hat figurine with unique trading pins‡

offwego
01-26-2010, 09:40 PM
We volunter often, I didn't see this as a way to get paid, but did see it as a way to branch out and get involved with a new group from the list that we hadn't worked with in the past.

We chose the lung association (a good personal fit as my son has asthma) and it hasn't prevented us from our other already undertaken commitments. It just as they say "plussed" it.

TheVBs
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Sounds like it's available to anyone with multi-day tickets.

Taken directly from the website FAQs:

If I have a valid multi-day ticket or an Annual Pass or Passport, is there anything else that I can receive?

Guests who present a valid multi-day ticket or Annual Pass or Passport may choose from one of the following three options instead of receiving the free 1-day, 1-park ticket:

◦Disney's FASTPASS® Special Exchange Cards for certain attractions for you and up to 5 additional members of your party. †
◦A Special Ear Hat figurine with unique trading pins‡

Thank you! :mickey: