PDA

View Full Version : Little Kids on the Big Rides

Lizzie
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
So we are going to Disney in December and our girls will be 3 years 8 months and just the 40 inch mark. We are super excited but now I am a little nervous.

How secure are the straps on Tower of Terror and Space Mountain? Anyone else ever worry about this?

dream_disney
09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
The staps on Tower of Terror are just like seat belts.... that stay tight. I always feel really safe. I don't feel quite as safe on Space Mountain but it's going through a refurb so it might have changed. The seats are in a virtical line, so you cant sit next to your child which stinks but a tight lap bar does come down and the CM's make sure it is properly tightened. I would feel safe on both rides with children, as long as you don't mind not being able to sit next to them on SM. I hope this helps:mickey:

Iluvpooh
09-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I would ask anyone if they had a child in that age range who actually enjoyed ToT before putting a 3 year old on it.M DD and Nephew (6&7) Werean absolute mess after riding. I know every child is different, so yours may enjoy it, but mine did not.

SBETigg
09-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I know it can make you nervous with your little ones for the first time, but rest assured that if the seating weren't suited to comfortably and safely accommodate people of that size, they would change the safety restrictions on the ride. The child's reaction to the ride is the element that would make me more concerned. You never know what they're going to love or dread until you try. If there's any hesitance or nervous reactions when you're in the queue, there are chicken exits. At certain ages, I'm not sure I would have tried with mine anyway, but all kids are different. Good luck!

Lizzie
09-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Not to worried about their reaction. We have taken them on the little rollar coaster plenty. One of them will be all over it the other one will enjoy it as long as you are with her.

SBETigg
09-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Not to worried about their reaction. We have taken them on the little rollar coaster plenty. One of them will be all over it the other one will enjoy it as long as you are with her.

A lot of kids are less scared than adults. :thumbsup: I think sometimes, they just don't see the things that scare us as we get older. And some kids get scared when you least expect it. I hope they love it!

Iluvpooh
09-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like a plan. Have fun!!:thumbsup:
Also dream_disney is right those seat belts are pretty tight, so no worries.:cool:

kathiep
09-27-2009, 09:15 AM
We took DD in August and she was also just at the 40 inch mark so she made it onto a lot of rides for the first time. Splash Mountain was a little weird as there is no restraint system, just the bar to hold onto. It really wasn't an issue except for the big drop and DH just held onto her. Same thing for BTMRR. Soarin was great because they have the lap belts. On Test track, they have the lap belts but she was still moved around a bit. We made sure to have someone's arm around her on this one as well. Just a note though, SM wasn't open when we were there but I think the height restriction on this is higher than 40 inches. It might be 44. Have a great trip.

Imagineer1981
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Also on a technical note, MOST rollercoasters are designed so the lap bar doesn't really hold you in, its there as additional support. The g-forces will keep you in your seat

rubato
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I took my son at age 5 on TofT. He didn't mind the drop/lift portion of the ride, but was TERRIFIED of the dark ghostly part. He still hates this ride. I made him try it again at 8 just to make sure and, because of his experience at 5, he doesn't ever want to ride it again. He loves coasters, especially RocknRollercoaster. So, sometimes it's not about the thrill aspect!

Seasonscraps
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I took my son at age 5 on TofT. He didn't mind the drop/lift portion of the ride, but was TERRIFIED of the dark ghostly part. He still hates this ride. I made him try it again at 8 just to make sure and, because of his experience at 5, he doesn't ever want to ride it again. He loves coasters, especially RocknRollercoaster. So, sometimes it's not about the thrill aspect!

I agree with this. My friend took her otherwise daredevil son on TOT and he came off screaming. He refused to get on any elevator for weeks. In Disney it wasn't a problem, but when they got home to their apartment on the 11th floor - it was a problem. :(

bwk99
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
my 4 year old went on TOT, he said is was a little fun, but a little scary.. He loves BTMR and Splash.

hardingella
09-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I first took DS on it when he was 5,he loved it, I hated every drop:sick: But after riding it twice he'd had enough.

Goofy Texan
09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Rides are designed to keep people in them. The height restrictions are set to make sure the restraints fit the minimum rider size.

The problem you need to be concerned about is panic. Will the restriants keep my child safe if he/she panics and tries to get out? On most rides you are next to them and can calm them down and hold on to them. I suggest you avoid space mountain - unless the refurm changes things- since you do not sit next to your child.

Many years ago I rode a drop ride at the local six flags. I unexpectedly panicked terribly going down the drop. If the ride had been longer or the restraints lighter, I don't know what I would have done. I was not able to think clearly. :eek:

I hope this helps you.