PDA

View Full Version : New Camera: Lithium battery or AA?

FaithTrustPixieDust
09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
I plan to buy a new camera before our trip next month. I've always had the type that uses AA batteries, and we use rechargeable energizers. Lately, however, the batteries seem to go dead within the first hour of putting them in the camera. I don't think it's the batteries, because they last FOREVER in the Wii remotes.

I'm considering switching to a camera that uses a rechargeable lithium battery. Some say it lasts longer. My concern would be that if the battery goes dead in the middle of the day, it's harder to find replacements in the middle of a vacation.

So here's my poll: Lithium or rechargeble AAs for my camera??

Thanks everyone!! :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
09-25-2009, 08:55 AM
My concern would be that if the battery goes dead in the middle of the day, it's harder to find replacements in the middle of a vacation.

IMHO you just answered your own question. If your camera batteries go down you can easily walk into any store and buy AA's.

I have only ever owned cameras that use "AA", this has saved many pictures over the life of my cameras. I also keep an extra set of batteries on hand for just that emergency.

Funny that you find that your brand of batteries don't seem to last. I have found the same thing. For this I have switched brands and find that this problem has gone away.

azcavalier
09-25-2009, 09:02 AM
But Lithium batteries last sooooo much longer. I have two cameras, one is a point and shoot, and the other is a nice DSLR. They both use lithium-ion batteries. I'm not kidding when I say that I only have to charge them once every few months, and photography is one of my hobbies. I would bet that on our next Disney trip, if I have charged my camera before I go, that I *might* have to charge it once while we're there (over 8 days). And i'll probably take 200 pictures.

If you run out of juice during the day, it's only because you weren't paying attention to the battery life. If you just charge it one night during the trip, you'll be fine.

AA batteries are a pain, and more expensive.

DisneyCouple07
09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
I usually buy an extra Lithium battery so I have a back-up. But for the most part, the lithium batteries last a long time (so it usually isn't necessary). Most cameras also tell you how many shots you can take on average (usually in the instruction manual, or on the battery packaging).

My usual ritual is to have one battery charging at night while the other one is in the camera and just rotate them if needed. Good luck, and have an awesome trip. :mickey:

Mickey91
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
The lithium batteries just last so much longer. The AA run down way too fast!

BigRedDad
09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Buy lithium and get 2-3 spares as well. Most of them are inexpensive. You can find reviews online for the best battery and price for your camera. I have a Nikon D40x. I have two batteries. I could easily take over 1000 pictures with them on single charges. I usually charge one while out and swap at night.

mixelate
09-25-2009, 08:19 PM
go with lithium!
aa batteries are a big waste, its more environmentally friendly too.
with most lithium batteries you can plug them into the computer or the wall, and they are charged within an hour :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-25-2009, 10:13 PM
My AA batteries were going dead really fast too. I switched to a name brand rather than a store brand and those last much longer.

IloveDisney71
09-26-2009, 07:51 AM
I used to swear by lithium batteries when I had a 5 megapixel camera. My batteries lasted forever. However, when I switched to a 12 mp camera I was going through lithium batteries like crazy! I switched to AA rechargable batteries and love it. I have 4 that I way if my first 2 die, I can just put in the other 2. I take tons of pictures and have never run through all four batteries in a day. I have learned to just recharge my batteries every night. I have a quick charger so they charge in about 10 minutes.

thrillme
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
We have both. Yes the Lithium lasts a long time per charge but...on those times where you run out of juice...it's just so nice to walk in anywhere and buy a couple of double AA's.

When the time comes and the Lithium batteries won't take a charge anymore they are not cheap to replace.

Concentrate on the camera with the features you want as the most important thing because both batteries have advantages and disadvantages.

kakn7294
09-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I know it's supposed to be not good for the battery, but I charge my Lithium battery every night while on vacation ONLY. The rest of the year, I just make sure that if it's been a while since I charged and I think it's getting low or I know I'll be taking a lot of pics, I'll charge it. I do plan to buy a second one soon though.

DizneyRox
09-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't like proprietary batteries for these reasons. For a while, AA went out of fashion, but newer cameras seem to be switcihng back.

I like the ability to pick up a spare or two if osmething does happen, but on a recent trip, I only used two sets of AA over a 12 day vacation.

Not too shabby! You may want to check out the website for Thomas Distributing (just add a .com) and find some good quality batteries. Most of the stuff you get at local stores is junk (Energizer, Kodak, etc). I've had very good luck with the MAHA POWEREX line in the past.

Magic Smiles
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
My concern would be that if the battery goes dead in the middle of the day, it's harder to find replacements in the middle of a vacation.

That is why you always have at least 2 batteries for all cameras! As I take so many photos, I sometimes actually use up both batteries, but then I normally have a 2nd camera handy also.

beksy
09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I use Lithium batteries and have never had a problem. They seem to last forever and I bought an extra one that I carry in my camera case with me in case I do take a lot of pictures but it has never been an issue. When the one is getting low, I have a charger that will finish the charge and then re-charge it. At Disney, I do this every night and put the fresh battery in in case I forget to grab the spare the next morning.