PDA

View Full Version : not looking forward to winter

motherof4
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I am from Massachusetts and every year I get so depressed about the cold and the snow.I dream of being in Florida in these dreary winter months the thought of swimming all year round and not shoveling anymore snow. that would be the best life ever. every year I tell my family that I want to move but my mother and father would be heart broken. my kids want to stay with their friends and family someday when my husband and I retire I will move to florida and get a part time job in disney.but the problem is it is about 17 years from now.has anyone ever just picked up and moved from New England to a warm climate like Florida please coment.

caryrae
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I hear ya, being from Minnesota I am really getting tired of winter the cold and snow. If it wasn't for my family living hear we would probably move to a warmer area. Funny to think some people who don't get the snow would love to see it but after getting it year after year after year it does get old. It's not so much the snow but the below zero temps I really hate.

deedeebee
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
We are in Michigan, the first chance my Grandparents had they moved down to Florida. It was really great to visit them and go to WDW, we plan to do the same for our grandkids:thumbsup: I am not looking forward to the SNOW:snowball:

faline
09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
I hear you! I'm not a big fan of fall because it means that winter is coming and everything will turn all brown and grey! I hate dealing with snow and cold! Hopefully, a warmer locale is in our future though I'm not sure when!

SBETigg
09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm in MA, too. We're supposed to have a brutal winter this year. I get the mid-winter blues. Sometimes, I think about moving south, but then I think there might be something I don't like there, too. I'm really happy with everything in my area except for the extreme cold in the winter. I'll reevaluate after this brutal winter hits. :)

Dixie Springs
09-24-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm in your camp: Hate winter/fantasize a Florida move every year around mid-January. Family/friends/job keep us in the frigid mitten state for the time being.

DVC2004
09-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I like fall, but I hate winter. The past 2 winters here in IL have been brutal. We usually go somewhere warm at the end of Jan/early Feb when it's the worst here. That gives us something to look forward to and then something to remember once we get back. We are seriously making it a goal to move to a warmer area within 2 years.

Tink2002
09-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm from Maine - enough said. BRRRRRRR.

Last winter was HORRIBLE - I hate it even more being in college, too:
1. walking everywhere on campus in snow
2. walking everywhere in subzero temps
3. no garage at my apartment = chaos whenever it snows trying to get everyone's cars shoveled out

I used to ski when I was little but it scares me now... I don't skate... I don't snowmobile... therefore, winter is miserable and useless in my book.

CanadianWDWFan
09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
You guys SHOCK :jaw: me! Winter means Hockey season. :hockey:

In fact, my son's season starts tomorrow night.

I like the snow and cold, but it is the big snow storms that I can do without.

Jeri
09-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I hate the winters. I hate the real cold temps, and driving in the bad weather. However the chance of us moving anywhere other then here is zero. My Husband works for his family, and last year we took over his dad's residential snow plow bussiness.
So now anytime it snows more then 2 inches him and 2 guys are out plowing all175 driveways.:ack:
I just keep telling myself white=green And is making it so next October we get to go to Disney for 12 days.:party:

Melanie
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
After living in a sub-tropical climate for the past 3 years, and now in yet another sub-tropical climate for another 3 years, I'm DYING for some cold temps, snow, sleet, whatever (well, maybe not ice). I can certainly see how you would tire of it if it's all you know year after year though.

In January, just think of me down here in Florida longing to be where you are. ;)

Strmchsr
09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree with Mel. All you folks wishing for Florida winters...trust me, you don't want Deep South summers (and spring and fall. It pretty much stays hot). Then there's the hurricanes and tornadoes that we deal with on a regular basis. So, nothing to see here. You Yankees just stay where you're at. :D

BTW, Brian, I may be the only person down here excited, but I'm pumped for the start of hockey season. Go Pens!

ElenitaB
09-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Mel, in January you are more than welcome to come up here and stay a while.

I'm no longer an FOW (Fan of Winter). Mobility issues have made me terrified to walk on ice or snow. Very much looking forward to next year when I will no longer be driving DS to school (memories of the car skidding around on unplowed streets haunt me).

That said, there are only two things tying me to the Northeast right now: my elderly mom and my doctors. That said, I'm beginning to put a plan in place to pay down my debt (which will take a few years anyway :blush: ) and move us down to Florida.

So I feel your pain... Florida, here we come (eventually)!

NotaGeek
09-24-2009, 11:05 PM
GOODBYE winter ... after 52" of snow and 5 months of snow on the ground this year, although it hurt financially, I said a FOND farewell to Spokane and I am back in Phoenix for now, job hunting in places with a better all-around climate. No more winters for me. EVER.

stitchaholic
09-25-2009, 06:02 AM
montrealer here,i can compltely sympathyze,i also hate winter,but for me snow = $$ also,so while my teeth are chattering,my hands freezing and i am trying to get my car unstuck from the driveway, i am singin "let it snow,let it snow" so i can make a trip to disney in the dead of winter.

Dragongirlx
09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
I also hate winter, I live in Scotland so we start of with cold heavy rain in September usually accompained by Gale force winds. The it gets colder and colder and colder. We then get everything from rain, hail, sleet and snow - sometimes more than one at the same time. I am trying to convince my work that I can do the job wfrom Wilderness Lodge but they are having none of it.

VWL Mom
09-25-2009, 08:14 AM
In January, just think of me down here in Florida longing to be where you are. ;)

Wait, I'll volunteer to swap with you. It could be a new reality TV show, "Climate Swap" :laughing:

Ian
09-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Ummm yeah ... I hear you loud and clear.

I hate winter!!! Long, freezing cold months with nothing to look at besides dead, brown trees and dirty slush on the side of the road. :ack::ack::ack:

If my DW was willing, I'd pick up and relocate to Florida tomorrow!

Signed,

A Fellow Winter Hater

SurferStitch
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I've found that the older I get, the more I hate winter, too!

I don't love the dead of summer sometimes, but it sure beats 20 degrees and icy roads. I do really love autumn, but it seems that true autumn only lasts about a week or two up here in Northeast PA anymore.

DH and I would love to move south, at least to NC, but would really love to move to FL. Problem is, we're very close to my family, and my parents would also be heartbroken if we moved that far away. But, I see pics of my friends who live in FL, and I sometimes envy the fact that they don't need "winter cars", and stuff like that. I hate putting my Camaro SS away for at least 4-5 months every year.

We'll see...maybe in a few years we'll make the big move....but I won't hold my breath! :D

Tinkerfreak
09-25-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm from Maine - enough said. BRRRRRRR.

Last winter was HORRIBLE - I hate it even more being in college, too:
1. walking everywhere on campus in snow
2. walking everywhere in subzero temps
3. no garage at my apartment = chaos whenever it snows trying to get everyone's cars shoveled out

I used to ski when I was little but it scares me now... I don't skate... I don't snowmobile... therefore, winter is miserable and useless in my book.

I am also from Maine and I agree that last winter was brutal. I get really depressed starting right after the holidays and it lasts until spring. If I didn't have a trip planned for Oct./Nov. then the depression would start then. I keep trying to convince my DH we need to start also doing a winter trip to help stop my depression.:blush:

Ransom
09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I was born and raised in California, but I've spent the last 17 years here in Chicagoland. Winters here are very depressing to me, and like so many of you, I'd dearly love to move somewhere sunny like Florida. Or Anaheim!

But nowhere's perfect. While earthquakes in Anaheim don't bother me since I grew up with them, I wouldn't like the fire season and I hated living through droughts. Florida also seems to burn every year, and then you also have hurricanes. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with having my house threatened with destruction every year.

So, for now, I'll stay here in Chicagoland. Maybe I'll move after I've been here as long as I was in CA (24 years).

Mickey'sGirl
09-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I guess it's just my nerd Husband and I. I LOVE the winter... Not only because of the aforementioned start of Winter Hockey :hockey:(cuz they play it year round in these parts folks!) ... There is ALWAYS something to do in the winter ; ski, skate, toboggan, snowball fights, great dog walks. I realize that last winter was ridiculous with the volume of snow that fell (so much that I even participated in a couple of driveway shovelling exercises), but it sure is beautiful.

The only thing that I HATE about the winter is commuting on public transit in it. It is hot, crowded, slushy, often-late and I really really really hated sitting on the stairs on the train, but that is how it was. Other than this little annoyance, I am already looking forward to the coming colder months!

BTW -- We have tons of sun in Toronto during the winter months. It is very bright for the most part!

DisneyDog
09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Been there, done that. About 8 years ago, DH and I sold our house in PA and moved down to Naples, FL. Life down there was nothing like what I thought it would be, for many reasons. The first year was great. It felt like we were on vacation every day. Then, the second year came around and I wanted fall sooooo badly. I was getting really tired of the heat and the sun baking down on my head. We had a pool, but we never used it because the novelty wore off. Then it was Halloween, and it was STILL in the high 90s, and we missed our friends and family. I was sick of it, and I wanted to go HOME.

We lived down there for 3 1/2 years. My son was born there, and I didn't want him to grow up there. We had lives up north and we had nothing but loneliness in Florida. I was miserable. Finally, 5 years ago, 4 hurricanes came through our town in the same season. We couldn't take it anymore. We sold the house and moved back up to PA. We spent a fortune moving twice, and it totally was not worth it.

Dorothy was right -- There's no place like home. There's no place like home.

thrillme
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm from Texas and I'm DEPRESSED at HOT. I want FREEZING.:(

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm from Texas and I'm DEPRESSED at HOT. I want FREEZING.:(

Then come on up North tonight, there are already freeze warnings in some places up here.

I'd love to be a snowbird, live here in the summer and in FL during the winter. Maybe when/if I ever "grow up". I already told my sisters that they and their familes have to move with me.

crazypoohbear
09-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I LOVE the 4 seasons here in the north east.
I don't mind the snow, I love snuggling up with my kids (when they will still snuggle at 15 and 20! We make Hot chocolate, watch movies and watch the snow fall out the window.
Having a fire in the fireplace :cloud9:

I should add that because my DH plows and I have two sons I personally don't have to shovel the snow, we have a garage so I dont' have to clean off the car and I don't have to deal with Public transportation
I guess because my DH plows so we make money off the snow (he doesn't NOT like the snow)
I Love driving up to New Hampshire and Vermont leaf peeping
I love driving to the ocean beaches in the summer.
I love seeing all the trees and flowers bloom in the spring
The only thing I don't like is the heat and humidity! I hate the humidity, can't breathe, I hate sweating!
While I wouldn't mind going to a sunny climate in the winter for a long vacation I wouldn't want to give up my seasons.

If you really do get depressed in the winter you should talk with your doctor about SAD,(seasonal affective disorder) there are lights you can buy that give your body the light it needs to combat the depression.
A LOT of people in the North suffer from this but most people don't know there is a cure and that it even has a name.
Good luck

dnickels
09-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I've got it all figured out -work for a company that allows their employees to work remotely through the internet 100% of the time. Spent Memorial day to now in Montana, swinging through the midwest to see the family for a bit and I should be back to Florida in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

Of course that's easier to do without
-a lot of stuff (everything I've got fits in a pickup truck)
-kids (don't want any so that won't get screwed up) and no
-wife/girlfriend (I might let my travel plans get messed up for a nice one).

No love for snow here either. :mickey: I can't wait to get back to (as the song says)... "bikinis and palm trees" :marg:

Nascfan
09-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Another winter hater here. And every year it gets worse and longer. Unlike Jenn and Brian in Toronto, once November hits we won't see the sun again until May. :sick:

I hate being cold. I hate the snow. I hate the bare trees. I hate the gray. I don't like winter sports.

I love being warm/hot. I love swimming. I love the beach. I love the sun. I love summer sports like :golf:I'm tailor made for Florida or someplace in the south.

Unfortunately I've got too many years invested in my job to pick up and move. And my wife wouldn't leave her mom anyway. So, have to wait for "someday".

beksy
09-28-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm with Crazy Pooh Bear on this one. I love having my seasons. I like being able to watch everything change outside from season to season and actually enjoy the snow (it's the ice that kills me!) especially if I don't have to go anywhere. I do get tired of it after awhile though and look forward to spring and then to summer (the A/C feels so good!) but am quickly ready for milder temps in the fall. Half-way through winter I swear I'm going to move and then half-way through summer I swear I'm going to move, but I'm pretty content with where I am.

Strmchsr
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm with Crazy Pooh Bear on this one. I love having my seasons.

Hey, we have seasons in the South! There's hot and wet, hot and dry, and not quite as hot and wet. :D

Dixie Springs
09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think there are any winter-haters on board (including me) who think that Florida summers are comfortable without air conditioning. I've been to Florida several times in the dead of summer. Based on my non-scientific research, FL residence has other negatives that may trump their hot summers.

My concurrence with the OP is due to the solid 6 months of cold and cloudy weather up here, with the added component of snow in 4 of those months (the tie-breaker in the hot vs cold contest as far as I'm concerned).

Hence the ubiquitous snowbird..

Aggie97
09-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I really miss winter. We moved to Atlanta two years ago (for work -- not by choice), and we hate the weather here. We miss actually having four seasons, including freezing temperatures and snow. Fall was always my favorite season, from childhood until two years ago!

We just spent four days in Buffalo for a family wedding. Last night it was so hard to leave behind their fall weather, with temps in the 60s and everyone's house windows open to let in the crisp air....

We are hoping to relocate to the northeast next year. Weather definitely is one of many factors influencing our decision. :)

Melanie
09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
My concurrence with the OP is due to the solid 6 months of cold and cloudy weather up here, with the added component of snow in 4 of those months (the tie-breaker in the hot vs cold contest as far as I'm concerned).

I hear ya, but my beef is the 9 or maybe even 10 months of 80+ degrees weather here. Not my thing. I'm dying for a break in the weather now.

I may eat these words, but I doubt we'll retire here, even though there is so much to do and see. A state in the east with four true seasons (including a beautiful fall)? Virginia, or maybe even back to NC, is sounding good to me! :)

MNNHFLTX
09-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I grew up in Minnesota and first moved to Florida when I was 23 because I was so tired of the long and bitter cold winters. My entire family still lives up there and thinks I'm crazy to live in areas where it is so hot and humid in the summertime. And while I don't miss the Minnesota type of winter, I do miss seeing the seasons change and wouldn't mind a mild winter. In southeast Texas the leaves do change color around Christmas, but a snowfall here and there is a case for the history books.

magicofdisney
09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I was born and raised in the same city in FL that I'm living in now. This heat and humidity is undesirable, unbearable at times, and unfriendly.

While I don't want snow 6mos of the year, I wouldn't mind having it and the colors of season for a couple of months each year.