PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Choice: Whispering Canyon or Trails End?

Goes4FastPass
09-24-2009, 04:29 PM
We're having our first stay at Fort Wilderness. How is Trail's End for dinner? Word is, the buffet includes the same ribs and fried chicken served next door the the HDDR (from the same kitchen).

We know Whispering Canyon, the 'skillet' and the atmosphere. No better place to go after a great day at Universal Studios, whoops never mind, anyway,

This meal will be an 5pm dinner on the way to MNSSHP and we're thinking we don't "need" the whole WCan thing and and eat and go at Trail's End might work well for us.

Any thoughts or opinions about the dinner buffet at Trail's End?

Thanks, Y'all

:mpumpkin:

d_m_n_n
09-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Let me preface this by saying, in no way am I a restaurant snob. I am perfectly happy with chain buffets that others cringe at. :blush: My entire family went to Trails End Buffet and all 11 of us were highly disappointed. I have seen others saying how wonderful it is, and maybe it was just an off night. But it was "off" enough that I have no desire to ever try it again. I'd go with WCC. We have eaten there a few times and have never been disappointed.

BrowncatP
09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Whispering Canyon! The last two times there, my husband was put in "jail" and I had to sing! Good food, and alot of fun too.

deedeebee
09-24-2009, 07:06 PM
We too have been VERY disappointed with Trails End:sick: We eat at other buffets on property, no problem, we will not go back. EVER.:ack: If you do go, please do not eat the cold shrimp:ill:

lighteningqueen
09-24-2009, 10:28 PM
If you have ever been sick and put in the hospital... Then this food is for you. Just as bad as hospital but worse. The most tasteless and limited amount of food in all the properties. We were so disappointed when we went there nd had to have something else to eat. Cheap is the word and the prices should give it away. But like I said you may like bland food. Plus the tiniest buffet you will ever see. Cold as well.

TheRustyScupper
09-25-2009, 01:29 AM
1) Stick with WCC.
2) We used to truly enjoy Trails End.
3) But, along with other eateries downhill path, so went TE.
. . . the menu items were reduced
. . . the food prep has suffered
. . . the number of buffet entries decreased

NOTE: With this being said, WCC can be spotty for both service and food quality. The atmosphere can be highly charged and fun, but it all depends upon how the servers are that day and how much they want to put into it. The food can be good, but the cooks do get discouraged at the cutbacks and this does affect the quality. They constantly complain during the lunch in the employee cafeteria downstairs.

mouseketeer mom
09-25-2009, 06:31 AM
We ate Trails End and we're really pleased. We felt like we stumbled on a well kept secret. The food was fresh, delicious, the atmosphere relaxing compared to WCC. We loved the fried chicken, loved the chili. We also ate WCC a few times, and yes, the food is very good, but it is a chaotic place. Trails End was a nice change of pace from the hoopla at WCC. We enjoyed the rockers out front, the sweet tea in the mason jars..there was no rush, and we enjoyed every bite.

HMFan
09-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Just remember, it's fun to ask for other people's input and opinion on things like this...but, in the end, it is a roll of the dice when it comes to food. More than anything else, opinions vary wildly on restaurants. WCC is a great example. Some people just rave about it, while I would caution anyone who asks about it to steer clear! (Tried it 3 times and the food was, to be kind, consistently generically blah each time). But that's just me and my opinion.

I love this site and value everyone's opinion...but rather than tell you which restaurant I'd choose, my advice is try something new --even if others nay-say.

Good luck!

kathiep
09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Given your plans for the day, I'd say go to Trails End. You are staying at the resort and going off to the halloween party. To me, it makes the most sense because you will already be on site and will have less running around. We ate there in August. While it wasn't 4 star food, we had a really nice meal. It wasn't overly crowded or noisy. My kids loved playing checkers while we waited. We all found something to eat that we liked and overall it was a nice evening. If you've never done it before, why not give it a try

wdw_bound
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Trail's End makes a lot of sense for your itinerary. We enjoyed it on our last trip, although the atmosphere seemed very subdued (but not in a bad, morose way). The staff was very warm and friendly, and were giving us tips on our stay at the campground. Then when you are done, short walk to the launch and MNSSHP.

Have a great trip!:mickey: